60 CSx? What else is needed?

sigsegv

For the past month or so, I've been using the Geocaching app on my iPhone 3 Gs. It's good, but I keep feeling that I could get much better accuracy with a dedicated unit. I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on a Garmin 60 CSx, but I'd like to know what else I'll need for geocaching here in northern Virginia.

Will the basemaps work fine or will I need to buy some other topo map? If I need to buy the topo map, what one should I get? Should I download, get the DVD, or the chip?

Does the Garmin software play nicely with my Mac? (I've got a Nüvi 765T for my car and the sw plays well with my Mac. Will the same software work on the 60 CSx? If not, will the software I need to use play nicely?)

I only want to use this device for hiking and geocaching. I have a device for my car that I already like.

Considering my usage and my concerns about maps and Mac compatibility, would I be better served by a different device? Am I wasting my money for minimal gains from the iPhone app?

I considered the Colorado 400t for a bit, but I'm wary of its screen readability in the sunlight and the accuracy of the topo maps.

Any advice is very welcome as I'm starting to get really overwhelmed here.

Thanks.

The basemap is very limited, only showing the larger towns and roads, but does do autorouting for the roads it knows about. But you've got a Nuvi for that. ;) City Navigator would be the choice here. Echo the suggestion to try out the gpsfiledepot maps before buying, but if you do choose to purchase a product, get it on DVD rather than the chip. The DVD will allow use of the maps on your computer, MUCH easier than doing so on the GPS. I do know Garmin has Mac software, but am not familiar with it. I'm guessing you'll love the 60 over the iPhone for caching, it's much more robust and capable of handling outdoor use. Cheers!

Thank you all for the help. I think I'll order my 60 CSx today.

As for maps, I looked at file depot, but only found a topo that looks like it has a Windows installer. I could be slow, but I don't see anything I can load from the Mac. Am I missing something?

I would prefer low-cost / free, but I don't mind terribly if I have to pay for the Garmin Topo maps. Since I don't need driving directions, I live in Virginia, and I like JBnW's suggestion about the DVD, I'm guessing I should get the Topo US 100K DVD, right? This will work with the 60 CSx? Is this product worth the money or is there a free version at File Depot that's better?

Thanks again for the help.