Garmin Communicator on the Mac

Searched and searched the forums (just like I search for geocaches!), but need help with the following:

I have a Garmin eTrex LegendC, and updated the software.

Installed Garmin Communicator. In Firefox (on the Mac) the test screen shows it's properly installed. But I don't quite "get" how it's supposed to work. Can't see anything different in Firefox that gives me any clue at all as to what the install accomplished.

Essentially, what I would like to do is upload the data from the geocaching.loc file(s) to the Garmin. I used to do this with GPSBabel or MacSimpleGPS, but times have changed.

Can you recommend an app and a path of action that I can use to move the geocaching.loc file(s) to the Garmin and I'll give it a try.

Remember, I'm on a Mac (that's not a pc...)

Thanks!

--Marc

August 17, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756' (my usual coordinates)

WARNING: These instructions are for use with Firefox on a Macintosh only. Please do not attempt this on a Windows PC.

From any cache page, click on the Send to GPS button that is two buttons to the right of the LOC Waypoint File button and follow the instructions and the info will get sent directly to your GPS.

Remember, these instructions are for use with Firefox on a Macintosh only. Please do not attempt this on a Windows PC.

Edited by coggins

Yes, exactly that. When you click that button, a little pop-up window will appear. Make sure your GPS is plugged into your computer and the power is on. If you have more than one device connected to your computer (say, an iPod as well), you may have to select your GPS from a pull-down menu on the little pop-up window. Once your GPS is selected, click "write."

Yes, exactly that. When you click that button, a little pop-up window will appear. Make sure your GPS is plugged into your computer and the power is on. If you have more than one device connected to your computer (say, an iPod as well), you may have to select your GPS from a pull-down menu on the little pop-up window. Once your GPS is selected, click "write."

Yes, as easy as pie, as they say. That's a big help and it's the complete solution - usually it's the obvious that's so hard to discover.

Related issue: I have attempted to install the Garmin Communicator Plug In several times - It works in Firefox, and I have uploaded the caches to my Garmin. But I cannot get the plug-in to work with Safari. It shows in Safari's installed plug-ins list as being there, but the pop-up screen shows "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected."

I suspect I simply have to wait for an upgrade for use with Safari 4, but if anyone has a fix for this I'd be glad to know of it.

Thanks for the details in the previous posts too, I appreciate the help, and I'm back "on track" now!

--Marc

August 18, 2009 @ 11:57 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756' (my usual coordinates)

[Related issue: I have attempted to install the Garmin Communicator Plug In several times - It works in Firefox, and I have uploaded the caches to my Garmin. But I cannot get the plug-in to work with Safari.

Remove Flip for Mac (Windows Media player app) if you have it.

From Garnin Support

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/home/support/searchsupport

"Question: Why is Safari for Mac not able to detect the installed Garmin Communicator Plugin?

Answer:

The Safari for Mac may not be able to detect the Garmin Communicator Plugin due to one of the following reasons:

Garmin Communicator Plugin may not be installed

Flip4Mac Browser Plugin conflicts with the installed Garmin Communicator Plugin (Note: Flip4Mac Browser Plugin enables to view Windows Media Video files in Safari)

To verify if the Plugins are installed:

Open Safari

Click Help

Click Installed Plug-ins (Note: This will list all installed plug-ins used by Safari)

Locate if Garmin Communicator and Flip4Mac Plugins are installed

If Garmin Communicator Plugin is not installed then it can be downloaded and installed from here.

If Garmin Communicator and Flip4Mac Plugins are installed however, Safari does not detect the Garmin Communicator Plugin as shown, then it is likely that Flip4Mac Plugin is conflicting with the Garmin Communicator Plugin.

Any of the following options can resolve the conflict between Flip4Mac and Garmin Communicator Plugins:

Use the Firefox web browser when using Garmin Communicator Plugin

Note: Firefox can be downloaded from www.mozilla.com/firefox/.This does not affect the ability to view Windows Media Video files on the Mac.

Un-install Flip4Mac Plugin

Open Macintosh HD

Open Applications

Open Flip4Mac folder

Double-click Flip4Mac Uninstaller (Note:This will prevent the ability to view Windows Media Video files on the Mac. Windows Media Player for Mac can be used for Windows Media Video files.)

Install Windows Media Player for Mac and disable the Flip4Mac Browser Plugin

Windows Media Player for Mac can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...p9/default.aspx

To disable the Flip4Mac Browser Plugin:

Open Macintosh HD

Open Applications

Open System Preferences

Double-click Flip4Mac WMV

In the Flip4Mac WMV, click Browser tab

Uncheck Use Flip4Mac WMV Browser Plug-in

Restart Safari if open

Note: The ability to use Windows Media Video files on the Mac will be available but just not in Safari. This setting is needed until the plugins are compatible.

Safari for Mac should now be able to detect that the Garmin Communicator Plugin is installed."

I have also been having problems getting my Garmin Forerunner 201 to connect to my Intel iMac (running Tiger). I'm connecting using a generic USB-to-Serial adapter, and have the Garmin Communicator installed on Firefox. The Communicator test page says the plugin is installed correctly but my device is not detected - and goes on to say that if the GPS is connected, to download the latest USB drivers. Unfortunately, the drivers are for PC only. :mad:

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

celina63

Edited by celina63

I have also been having problems getting my Garmin Forerunner 201 to connect to my Intel iMac (running Tiger). I'm connecting using a generic USB-to-Serial adapter, and have the Garmin Communicator installed on Firefox. The Communicator test page says the plugin is installed correctly but my device is not detected - and goes on to say that if the GPS is connected, to download the latest USB drivers. Unfortunately, the drivers are for PC only. :(

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

celina63

The Mac version of the Communicator Plugin does not work with serial devices such as your converter. Unfortunately, Garmin has stated they have no plans to do anything about it.