missing english

BaKaCZ

Hey, we have just recently been to Paris, France and wanted to place a TB somewhere but it was rather difficult to pick a proper cache because many cache descriptions and instructions were written only in french which, however beautiful language it is, we unfortunately don't speak. I think it would be very helpful for many geocachers if the online descriptions were always written besides in the mother tongue also in english.

Hey, we have just recently been to Paris, France and wanted to place a TB somewhere but it was rather difficult to pick a proper cache because many cache descriptions and instructions were written only in french which, however beautiful language it is, we unfortunately don't speak. I think it would be very helpful for many geocachers if the online descriptions were always written besides in the mother tongue also in english.

Whoa. :( When in France... do as the French do! Or use Babelfish. Um... I'm not a politically correct type of person, but that does seem rather... anglo-centered?

That attitude is one reason why people in other countries may dislike Americans, because many Americans go overseas and expect the locals to speak English. When you were in France, did you have the same attitude when trying to communicate with the locals? If you did you probably didn't get very far with them. Most of the world doesn't revolve around Americans and the English language.

For a cache hidden in the U.S. would you write a cache description in French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, and every other major language? (Hmmm, that might actually be a good idea.)

I think it would be very helpful for many geocachers if the online descriptions were always written besides in the mother tongue also in english.

Agreed, cultural angsts aside, understanding the current lingua franca, which currently is accepted as English, and including a cache description in that language may be a nice courtesy.

If the lingua franca should switch to some other language (say, Trollish for example), then I'll gladly provide a link to google translator on my page that would allow a cacher to quickly translate my cache page to the current lingua franca (assuming, of course, that I would not know the newly accepted lingua franca, which if it is Trollish, me got I somes probleems, sinse me not no Trollish). ;)

Pro la problemo de provizo por la parolantoj de diversaj lingvoj, mi bonkore proponas ke oni priskribu cxiujn kasxojn dulingve: Esperante kaj tie-lingve. : )

(Of course, I have yet to convert my four caches' descriptions into English and Esperanto...)

Edited by Jackalgirl

I think it would be very helpful for many geocachers if the online descriptions were always written besides in the mother tongue also in english.

Agreed, cultural angsts aside, understanding the current lingua franca, which currently is accepted as English...

Heh. I love how language changes. Shouldn't that be lingua angla? ; )

Pro la problemo de provizo por la parolantoj de diversaj lingvoj, mi bonkore proponas ke oni priskribu cxiujn kasxojn dulingve: Esperante kaj tie-lingve. : )

(Of course, I have yet to convert my four caches' descriptions into English and Esperanto...)

Cu placus al vi sidi sub arbo kun si?

Sorry, that's the first thing that always pops into my head when I hear someone mention Esperanto. ;)

Did anybody actually check to see if the OP was American? :rolleyes:

That attitude is one reason why people in other countries may dislike Americans..

Looking at the geocaching activity, I can't automatically assume this poster is an American, so let's not assume Americans have the corner market on rudeness.

;)

I'd say this is ironic, but I hear Americans don't get irony either.

I will say, though, that without speaking a word of French, I can make out pretty much that entire cache page. Granted, my language may have more common roots with French than the OP's does.

That attitude is one reason why people in other countries may dislike Americans..

Looking at the geocaching activity, I can't automatically assume this poster is an American, so let's not assume Americans have the corner market on rudeness.

;)

I will say, though, that without speaking a word of French, I can make out pretty much that entire cache page. Granted, my language may have more common roots with French than the OP's does.

Yeah, I knew this would be out of context and mistaken as such. (mistooken?)

as I edited...Meh.

The CZ in the cacher's screen name indicates he/she may well be from the Czech Republic. I looked at his/her recent logs, et voila... three found in CZ and one in Paris, France. It's not unusual to find English translations or locals who speak English throughout Europe (English is taught as a second language in many primary schools around the world). I'm guessing the OP was drawing from that experience when he lamented the lack of English translation on the cache page.

The post does sound a little odd (or demanding) but I do agree with it.

Just so we get things clear.... I'm not from America or England in fact I don't even live near a country that speaks English but I would like to see more caches in English.

The cachers in our country publish descriptions in our native language and in English (mosty... there are always a few exceptions) because it's easier for people that travel to our country in search of caches.

I recently traveled to Prague and had to edit a whole bunch of caches just because 11 of them were in english and the rest were in Check (which I barely understand) so it would be nice to have another language as an option because google translate was barely usefull.

I do agree that it shouldn't be a requirement but it's a good way to help tourists. Maybe some people could volunteer and translate the caches or something similar?

Sadly some Americans traveling internationally have indeed 'cornered the market on rudeness'. American tour groups, in particular, cause other travelers to cringe. Why do they individually and collectively have to be so loud and so arrogant?!? This rudeness has not been my experience living here in the USA as a foreign national - I find people here in the Northwest to be kind and considerate and for the most part very polite.

On the subject of language, most of us make the effort to at least learn phrases in the months prior to travel to enable us to understand and be understood and to enjoy effective communication. When in Italy, for example, every girl should be able to say "Neanche se lei fosse l'unico uomo sulla terra"... ;)

Whoa. ;) When in France... do as the French do! Or use Babelfish. Um... I'm not a politically correct type of person, but that does seem rather... anglo-centered?

:rolleyes: I think you can convert all languages on your computer?! If you are traveling in other countries it might be a good idea to figure out how before you go.

Sadly some Americans traveling internationally have indeed 'cornered the market on rudeness'. American tour groups, in particular, cause other travelers to cringe. Why do they individually and collectively have to be so loud and so arrogant?!? This rudeness has not been my experience living here in the USA as a foreign national - I find people here in the Northwest to be kind and considerate and for the most part very polite.

On the subject of language, most of us make the effort to at least learn phrases in the months prior to travel to enable us to understand and be understood and to enjoy effective communication. When in Italy, for example, every girl should be able to say "Neanche se lei fosse l'unico uomo sulla terra"... ;)

No, the American traveler is not typically loud and arrogant. That would be a stereotype. They are just like you find them here. Most of the people who cringe at certain behaviors are their fellow Americans who fear a misunderstanding. Most people in other countries are just as understanding as we are are in the US when someone visits the states.

Edited by BlueDeuce

No, the American traveler is not typically loud and arrogant. That would be a stereotype. They are just like you find them here.

I did say [/i]some and not all. I speak from long experience working in the travel industry and dealing with Americans traveling abroad. Believe me when I say 'loud and arrogant'... To stereotype would infer that ALL Americans are this way. That is not my experience.

I was in Chamonix a few years ago, at the bus station, waiting for the bus back to Geneva. There were about 9 others waiting for the same bus. After about 45 minutes after the bus was supposed to arrive this Canadian woman went up to the counter and asked, in English, if they knew when the bus was going to arrive. The guy at the desk, said "you didn't ask if I spoke English". The woman pulled out a French-English book and stumbled through "vous parlez anglais". Then he was answered her original question and told her that the bus had already departed about 45 minutes earlier. The next bus to Geneva was the next day and I had an 8:00AM meeting. I ended up sharing a cab with a family from Poland back to Geneva (about 100km).

I've been in several countries where the natives *prefer* that one speaks English as it gives them some practice. I do quite a bit of work with the FAO of the UN and know that they require all of their web sites to be available in English, French, and Spanish, and optionally Arabic and Chinese. When I asked someone at FAO why Russian or German wasn't used they said that Russian and German speaking countries prefer to do business in English.

Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that, regardless of the reason, the English language today is the closest thing we have worldwide to a common language. Its probably more likely that a Czech cacher and a French cacher will be able to communicate in English than in either Czech, French, or any other language, and so the OPs request may not be as arrogant as it first appears.

Besides, while it is a world-wide activity, geocaching was invented here, and the website, as far as I know, exists only in the English language version at this time. Even here in the forums, when a thread is started in a "foreign" language, it is not uncommon to have people ask them to post in English (although there certainly are times that helpful members translate as best they can)

Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that, regardless of the reason, the English language today is the closest thing we have worldwide to a common language. Its probably more likely that a Czech cacher and a French cacher will be able to communicate in English than in either Czech, French, or any other language, and so the OPs request may not be as arrogant as it first appears.

Besides, while it is a world-wide activity, geocaching was invented here, and the website, as far as I know, exists only in the English language version at this time. Even here in the forums, when a thread is started in a "foreign" language, it is not uncommon to have people ask them to post in English (although there certainly are times that helpful members translate as best they can)

This is a very good point.

Like it or not, English is pervasive due to not only the general (I use this VERY generally and mostly as a reference to a symptom of the relative geographical isolationism and cultural individuality...) unwillingness of Americans to learn other languages but also due to the historical spread of the language due to British colonial interests. The combination of the fact that one of the major superpowers of the last century is a relatively isolationist English-speaking nation with the dissemination of the English language throughout the globe is evident in the fact that English is the language of international air travel.

I am in no way suggesting that English supplant other languages or that cache descriptions be forced to include English. Having lived in a place for several years where even the national language of Spanish is a second language or not spoken in large swaths of the country, I appreciate and understand the role language plays in identity. In fact, in Guatemala, Spanish plays a role on a national scale very much like English plays on a global scale. It is an alien yet common language that allows for communication between various Mayan communities. English is widely spoken globally as a second language and often serves as a bridge language between others (thanks to others' willingness to learn it) so a suggestion such as the OP's (especially because he or she appears, based on what others have said, to be Czech) should not be kneejerk decried as American elitist buffoonery.

Edit: changed the basis for the Czech assumption

Edited by mrbort

This is a very good point.

Like it or not, English is pervasive due to not only the general (I use this VERY generally and mostly as a reference to a symptom of the relative geographical isolationism and cultural individuality...) unwillingness of Americans to learn other languages but also due to the historical spread of the language due to British colonial interests. The combination of the fact that one of the major superpowers of the last century is a relatively isolationist English-speaking nation with the dissemination of the English language throughout the globe is evident in the fact that English is the language of international air travel.

I am in no way suggesting that English supplant other languages or that cache descriptions be forced to include English. Having lived in a place for several years where even the national language of Spanish is a second language or not spoken in large swaths of the country, I appreciate and understand the role language plays in identity. In fact, in Guatemala, Spanish plays a role on a national scale very much like English plays on a global scale. It is an alien yet common language that allows for communication between various Mayan communities. English is widely spoken globally as a second language and often serves as a bridge language between others (thanks to others' willingness to learn it) so a suggestion such as the OP's (especially because he or she appears, based on what others have said, to be Czech) should not be kneejerk decried as American elitist buffoonery.

Edit: changed the basis for the Czech assumption

Wow. And when did Colonialism reach France?

Choose a cache to the best of your ability. That's it.

Wow. And when did Colonialism reach France?

Choose a cache to the best of your ability. That's it.

It never did... that wasn't the point. The point was that a lot of people who don't know the language of someone else may have a common language in English. The comment about colonialism was an attempt to explain why. I was also clear that I am not in favor of forcing caches to be posted in English or in any other language. I agree that if the cache is out of your ability range then it may be a bad choice; if you can't understand the cache description then that's the way it goes.

Edit: fixed the quote

Edited by mrbort

I understand that English is prevalent in many other cultures. However, it is not the majority spoken language.

This is where I disagree. English is not a requirement, even for US based caches.

;)

Yeah, I knew this would be out of context and mistaken as such. (mistooken?)

as I edited...Meh.

Sorry, I meant the quotes you were referring to, not the quotes I quoted.

I also want to add: if the writing on cache pages in other languages is anywhere near as poor as some English ones I've seen, then online translators won't be a whole lot of help.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I understand that English is prevalent in many other cultures. However, it is not the majority spoken language.

This is where I disagree. English is not a requirement, even for US based caches.

I agree with your assertion.

I don't think that the OP was saying that it should be a requirement (and this is maybe where we're reading the post differently) but instead that it would be helpful. It's certainly not a requirement anywhere, nor should it be. I just read that the OP was suggesting a way for cache owners to make their caches accessible to more people, especially in places with large linguistic variations.

While English may not be the language with the most speakers (Mandarin Chinese), I would hypothesize (without any sort of proof or citations!) that it's the most widely disseminated and geographically prevalent language in the world.

I don't think that neither I or MrBort was even implying that. I'd imagine that would be Chinese. What *I*, at least, was saying is that I *think* that English is *probably* the 2nd language that most countries have in common. English is taught as a 2nd language in a great many countries around the world, often from grade school. If a person from country A meet a person from country B, and they don't speak eachother's native language, English is probably going to be the most likely method to communicate.

I agree with your assertion.

I don't think that the OP was saying that it should be a requirement (and this is maybe where we're reading the post differently) but instead that it would be helpful. It's certainly not a requirement anywhere, nor should it be. I just read that the OP was suggesting a way for cache owners to make their caches accessible to more people, especially in places with large linguistic variations.

Friendly, helpful. I agree.

I take a trip to.. I don't know.. Quebec.

I think it would be very helpful for many geocachers if the online descriptions were always written besides in the mother tongue also in English.

I think it would be very helpful for many geocachers if the online descriptions were always written besides in the mother tongue also in English.

If it were Quebec, the French description would have to come first on the cache page and the font would have to be at least twice the size of the English description. And the cache owner would be fined if it were nto so. I don't think that Quebec is a fair comparison to the rest of the non-English speaking world, bless their French-speaking hearts.

If it were Quebec, the French description would have to come first on the cache page and the font would have to be at least twice the size of the English description. And the cache owner would be fined if it were not so. I don't think that Quebec is a fair comparison to the rest of the non-English speaking world, bless their French-speaking hearts.

Thank you. You understand.

When I am overseas, I enjoy caches that are only written in the native language. For me, caching is a chance to experience a little bit of life as a native, and maybe see some things that I would otherwise miss. Doing puzzles in the local language and finding caches with no English description gives me an additional chance to learn more about the people whose caches I am finding.

When I am planning a trip overseas, I find some fun-looking caches and take the time and effort to translate and understand them. It's even more fun if I can solve a puzzle or two!

So count me as against any requirement that all cache pages have some common-language translation.

If it were Quebec, the French description would have to come first on the cache page and the font would have to be at least twice the size of the English description. And the cache owner would be fined if it were nto so. I don't think that Quebec is a fair comparison to the rest of the non-English speaking world, bless their French-speaking hearts.

When visiting foreign countries it is always good to work some of the local language into your logs such as this one I visited in Quebec My Log

Having found caches in 26 countries I DO NOT think english should be required on cache pages, just as I dont' think logs should be required to be written only in the local language.

Edited by FunnyNose

Like it or not, English is pervasive due to not only the general (I use this VERY generally and mostly as a reference to a symptom of the relative geographical isolationism and cultural individuality...) unwillingness of Americans to learn other languages but also due to the historical spread of the language due to British colonial interests.

Leaving aside the many reasons that explain why English has become so prevalent across the world, and leaving aside the fact that this becomes a convenience for native English speakers (chose any one language, and somebody gets a break by default) ...

I understand that some in foreign countries are a bit miffed that as English speakers, we don't happen to speak their language, while they DO speak ours. What many fail to understand, however, is that our respective educational systems differ in the need, and can't possibly satisfy non-English speakers.

Perhaps apart from the former Soviet Block countries where Russian was the "default" 2nd language taught in school, education across the rest of the world favors, and often requires, English as the student's 2nd language.

In the U.S., at least for a time, a 2nd language was a requirement for high school graduation. However, there was no obvious "default" choice with English gaining as the predominant world language of business. As a result, while we all had exposure to at least one other language in school, the choice of German, French, Spanish, Latin, Russian ... well, whether we just happened to pick the language of the resident of a country we visit is as much a matter of chance as good planning. They, on the other hand, are often not offered a choice in their first foreign language - it's English - period. It's not that we do not have multi-lingual speakers here in the U.S., but the odds of our 2nd language matching the language of another country are fairly slim.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Japan where younger employees who are taking post-graduate English through their companies are often coached by their employers to take advantage of the time spent with a native English speaker to improve their proficiency. That's true in other countries as well.

As it happens, my "first" 2nd language is Russian. Won't do me a lick of good in Paris (don't even get me started on the Académie Française and their evident confusion about "pure" French -- Norman French would seem to have more in common with English than anything they speak there today) and yet it will be held against me. Sorry -- five choices, and I didn't happen to pick theirs.

So off the soapbox and on to the point:

I have visited foreign caches, and am always appreciative (not expectant) when I run across a cache listing that is not just in the local language but also in English. Apart from a choice of another language of a nearby region, it would seem that English as the least common denominator is a practical choice for a secondary cache posting. Yes, easy for me to say as a native English speaker - but also practical. It IS, afterall, the most commonly required 2nd language on the planet.

For the majority of foreign caches outside of the more obvious tourist areas, a translated cache into ANY secondary language is rare, and for those, I'll leave my best guesses and Babelfish to do the work before I head out. If I get too hung up, I can nearly always find a local who speaks enough English to help with the original cache page. Once explained, most of them are fascinated by the whole thing anyway.

See my comment above about the Académie. How the folks in Quebec can get so wrapped around the axle as to make those back in "the old country" look liberal in their outlook... and don't even ask the French what they think about Canadian French (about the same as the Brits feel about our abuse of their language in America!). There are ancient tapestries hanging in great halls in France that are not all that difficult to read for someone with a wide English vocabulary and no real exposure to French at all. What does that say? Time to appreciate that drift happens and get over it.

Quel est Français?

Edited by ecanderson

When I am overseas, I enjoy caches that are only written in the native language. For me, caching is a chance to experience a little bit of life as a native, and maybe see some things that I would otherwise miss. Doing puzzles in the local language and finding caches with no English description gives me an additional chance to learn more about the people whose caches I am finding.

When I am planning a trip overseas, I find some fun-looking caches and take the time and effort to translate and understand them. It's even more fun if I can solve a puzzle or two!

So count me as against any requirement that all cache pages have some common-language translation.

Since the cache page would be written in both the native language and English, you would still have the ability to translate it for yourself.

Similarly, cache pages will decrypt the hint for you, but you are still welcome to do it by hand.