Looking for a multi-use GPS

SSB_Warz

Any suggestions for a GPS that will fill various roles. Obviously it would need the basic geocache abilities (load waypoints and sites from the computer, store cache notes etc). It would also need to be something I can mount on a mountain bike and use for general route following.

Finally, and everyone always wants an all for cheap deal, needs to be reasonably priced. I am not an avid geocache hunter so I am willing to trade some ease of use functionality to bring down the cost?

Any recommendations?

HI & welcome to Geocaching :(

Actually, "most" mid-to-higher-end GPSr's can do everything you're asking for. I have an older Garmin Vista Cx and it does a great job in the Geocaching department, it also auto-routes me when in my car, it's small enough I clamp it to my bicycle and/or motorcycle handlebars and it does a great job tracking my travels.

What's your budget?

Not wanting to sound like a salesman for the one I use ( :) ) but something like a Garmin Etrex sounds like it would suit you perfectly. Relatively cheap, very small, excellent battery life, and very rugged/durable!

Higher end models will do more, like paperless Geocaching. But it sounds like that sort of thing is low on your priorities.

I appreciate the suggestions.

I guess the answer to the questions (and added info), is:

No specific budget, just as cheap as I can get. If later I get more involved, I'll upgrade then.

Specific functions I would like:

1. Map display not just an arrow pointing a direction.
  2. streets displayed as part of the maps to facilitate movement.
  3. The ability to connect to a computer to upload/download cache info.
  4. Portability and ability to secure to a bike (which means I'll probably buy some kind of mount to go with it).
  5. The ability to input a "bike route" that I can then follow as I ride.
  6. Add any "necessary cache specific requirements here.

Now my Cache experience so far has been basically as a tag along/partner with someone else. He uses a Oregon 400T. I don't see myself going that route at this point.

Again, thanks for any help or suggestions.

Greetings, your third bullet is really the main decision point. Right now, only Garmin and DeLorme support the Send To GPS feature. From there, just about every model either manufacturer currently makes meets all of your other criteria. I'll echo Redwoods MTN Biker's suggestions, and add in the Vista HCx. Some other things to think about would be battery life and amount of memory (to hold your maps).

The units I suggested should fit your needs with the following caveats:

• The Venture HC has limited space for maps; the Legend HCx can be expanded
  • Routing will be "as the crow flies" unless you buy a unit that can do auto-routing and buy City Navigator maps. As a mountain biker, I don't find them as useful as topo maps though.
  • These units will not do paperless caching, i.e., they won't display hints, etc.

If you can swing the price, an even better choice might be the 60Cx or 60CSx. I prefer the larger screen and buttons on the front.

I will throw in that you should look at the DeLorme units. The Topo software lets you create routes on it (road or trail) and then throw it onto the GPS (for which you can put very detailed maps on it) and there are bike mounts for it. I have no experience with their bike mount so I can't comment on how well it works. They also support paperless caching. I have a PN-20 and I like it a lot. If I could afford it I would spring for the 30 or 40 (faster processor). Like JBnW said, though, there are a lot to choose from.

I'm not concerned about its ability to be used as a car GPS, but it must have the ability to place the bike routes (bike trails, urban etc).

So far these are the ones that have been mentioned:

Garmin Vista Cx

Garmin Etrex

eTrex Venture HC

Legend HCx

Vista HCx

60Cx

60CSx

PN-20

PN-30

PN-40

Hmm lots to mull over.

I have been looking at the PN20 (as this seems the entry level one). Would this one meet the listed needs?

The PN-20 has a slower processor, so you'll get slow redraws and sometimes (if I recall correctly) a lag in moving between screens, menu items, etc.

The bike trails may not be on your maps, but you can download tracks for most places you'll want to ride. Again though, routing will be from waypoint to waypoint. Do you know the difference between routes and tracks? If not, check out this older post of mine (sorry for the small image)...

http://gpstracklog.com/2005/12/tracks_and_rout.html

Ok, I read through the information located at your link.

Yes, I know the difference between route and track (although I was lazy and had been using them interchangeably).

I guess, I need to stop trying to make brief posts and just explain my endstate vision on how I want to use this.

I want to be able to plan a bike route (detailed follow x road/path, not a as the bird flies). I will set waypoints enroute which identify nearby caches (this will cue me to stop and begin the hunt).

Ideally, I will plan a 5-10 mi route (again detailed) that will include few caches along the way.

I would like the GPS to "guide" me along this route and then serve as a traditional paperless (if possible, but I can live without this if necessary) cache GPS for the locating the cache portion of my journey.

Now all that being said, there are some areas that can be compromised.

When I am solo, this GPS will be primarily used to keep me on a selected route and measure distance travelled.

When the cache hunting occurs, I will have my friend with me and he has a Oregon 400T. Although I would like to have some of the cache specific abilities, the more finess/detailed ones can be gleamed off of his.

I hope I am not making this more complicated that it has to be...wife always says I over think things.

Edited by SSB_Warz

OK, from the Garmin side of the fence, I think you'll want to toss out the Venture HC and the basic Vista. With the DVD or Ibycus maps, you will be able to create a route as you described that can be sent to the GPS and the remaining units will give at least basic turn-by-turn directions (e.g., turn left...turn right) along with proximity alarms (for approaching those waypoints you have marked "Stop here for cache"). The problem may arise if your bike paths aren't on the map to start with. Some are some aren't. But you can get creative here as well and use other tools (google earth) or follow a previous track.

Hey, you knocked two off the list...getting closer! :rolleyes:

Edit: add Ibycus

Another edit: There's no Vista Cx, so that's off the list as well!

Edited by JBnW

So..if I accept the "slowness" of the screen changes, are the slow redraws (I'm assuming this refers to the maps as you move) able to keep up with a movement at bicycle speed? Also would the PN-20 handle the turn by turn route?

And lastly to confirm, the PN-20 does have a connect to computer ability, correct?

So..if I accept the "slowness" of the screen changes, are the slow redraws (I'm assuming this refers to the maps as you move) able to keep up with a movement at bicycle speed? Also would the PN-20 handle the turn by turn route?

And lastly to confirm, the PN-20 does have a connect to computer ability, correct?

I have a PN-20 so allow me to add the following:

1. Screen refresh/redraw:

1a. I find it too slow for driving at freeway speeds

1b. It is fast enough for my walking pace while geocaching,

1c. Unfortunately, I've never bicycled with it.

2. Turn-by-turn guidance and routing:

2a. Yes, and will give beeps prior to turns,

2b. PN-20 will generate turn-by-turn road routes; however, it is best to use the bundled software to create them on a PC for transfer to handheld.

3. Computer connectivity: See 2b. immediately above :rolleyes:

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

The PN-30 and PN-40 are excellent units, but the software has a steep learning curve for backcountry use. OTOH, it adds paperless caching and aerial imagery.

Some say the software has a steep learning curve, I wouldn't go so far but would say it takes a little to get used to it! I haven't played with T8 much, but have already learned how to make routes, save and send said routes to the GPS, import routes from the GPS, download aerial and other imagery to the computer and then to the GPS...and probably a few other tricks I'm forgetting about! It isn;t all that hard if you just try it, take the time to learn a bit and maybe ask questions if needed!

The upside, T8 is one powerful tool, it really does a lot!

I am a newbie too. I had purchased a PN-20, but after a few weeks I returned it & got the new Garmin Dakota 10. I haven't had too much time to play with it yet, but so far it seems far better--easier to use, maps are much easier to understand, and it's SMALLER. (might be a factor for biking) They sell the Dakota as a "hike & bike" bundle that includes city navigator maps and a bike mount.

Gah, back to square one.

My above mentioned friend with the Oregon 400T made a strong arguement against the PN-20 based on several reviews. (I believe he has an scheme underway).

So Now he is highlighting all the benefits of the Oregon 400T...and commenting on how he wants to upgrade to the Oregon 550T.

I smell a rat.

My vote goes to the new Dakota series, either the 10 or 20. Neat thing about the 20, at least, is that it's very good on roads, including routing. Paperless geocaching, ability to switch profiles on the fly and each mode is fully customizable too. Also, for those bikers out there, you can obtain several sensors that tie into the unit. I believe one ties in to the bike itself, maybe for speed, etc.; and the other is sensor to map your heart rate etc. Kinda cool, if you ask me. The Dakota 20 appears to be the best of all worlds right now.

I had a pn-20 too, and returned it, for very poor battery life and accuracy issues (lose track while walking under tree cover only), and they are slow. The pn 30 and 40 models i would consider if they are better accuracy wise. The delorome maps are good, and the software is good, but it does take a little to learn, because you have alot you can do with it. I went with a garmin vista hcx because i couldn't go up to the pn-40, and battery life is really good with the vista hcx, and that is important if you are an all day hunter like i am.

The best of both worlds is delorme software with garmin gps in my opinion.

Edited by sharkman8810

I wanted to pop in and thank everyone for all the input.

I ended up with a PN-40 that was listed in the GPS Garage sale section of this forum.

So far it has been great. It is more than I had originally wanted, but the more I researched, the more I wanted it to do.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!