Bugs in caches

Knight2000

We had our first [of this kind] last weekend. I'm sure this is common Florida and the like but totally unexpected for Ohio, in the woods!

We found a faux birdhouse with a cache in it. The inside of the birdhouse had roaches in it! In Ohio, at least in my area, roaches only seem to be common in areas that are urban. I have worked in many houses. I have only seen them in urban neighborhoods that are really run down and full of crappy rental properties.

We also associate roaches with uncleanliness as they thrive on the foods that are left exposed. My experience in some of these houses matches this.

I also think these are different from roaches in other states.

Have you ever found these in caches?

Edited by Knight2000

We had our first [of this kind] last weekend. I'm sure this is common Florida and the like but totally unexpected for Ohio, in the woods!

We found a faux birdhouse with a cache in it. The inside of the birdhouse had roaches in it! In Ohio, at least in my area, roaches only seem to be common in areas that are urban. I have worked in many houses. I have only seen them in urban neighborhoods that are really run down and full of crappy rental properties.

We also associate roaches with uncleanliness as they thrive on the foods that are left exposed. My experience in some of these houses matches this.

Actually, not as odd as you might think: link

Pennsylvania Wood Roaches

Almost every spring, homeowners that live in moist wood land areas become alarmed when suddenly, about dusk, large flying cockroaches enter their home. It is the large males, during their mating season in May and June, that seem to be attracted to night-lights. Should a female get indoors, numerous males may be attracted to her. These roaches live outdoors in hollow trees, under loose bark of dead trees, stumps or logs and in piles of firewood.

We've found ants, termites, slugs, spiders, millipedes, ticks, and other bugs I cannot name in caches, however, we've never found roaches in caches. That said, you can spot our enormous Memphis roaches wobbling along on sidewalks like fat-bellied drunkards. They are totally unafraid of people, so I suspect that we will someday find one in a cache.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

We've found ants, termites, slugs, spiders, millipedes, ticks, and other bugs I cannot name in caches, however, we've never found roaches in caches. That said, you can spot our enormous Memphis roaches wobbling along on sidewalks like fat-bellied drunkards . They are totally unafraid of people, so I suspect that we will someday find one in a cache.

Carolyn

Careful there, Carolyn... this fat-bellied drunkard might report you for lack of respect to a fellow forum participant! ;)

Since coming to Texas, my favorite has been fire ants. Went for a cache in a bush last fall and found myself elbow deep in them. Didn't get too many bites, but enough to make me cranky.

If there were such a thing as a state insect...yes, fire ants would be such here in Texas. I found an ammo can that somehow became infested with them.

Remember: In Texas, "waterproof" don't mean "antproof." :-)

I live in the roach capital of the world, (Los Angeles), yet I have never seen a roach in a cache. A roach as a cache, well, that's a different story. What we usually find in our local caches are earwigs. Those long slender bugs with the pinchers behind their butts.

BTW, you can be the cleanest person on Earth, but if the guy in the apartment next to you isn't, you will have a roach problem. I was literally infested overnight, while on vacation a few years ago. I came home and opened the door to a complete nightmare. It seems that the man next door had moved out and they found his apartment over-run with with darn things. Instead of seeking professional help, the manager decided to simply set off some bug bombs. The roaches found a void in the wall where the gas line to his stove backed up to mine and the darn things simply escaped over to my place. It was so bad that she had to put me up in a hotel for the night and then send in professional exterminators as well as a professional cleaning crew.