Merging discoverer maps ?

Rifty

I'm seriously tempted by an oregon 300 but don't want to potentially carry around half a dozen memory cards with discoverer maps on. Questions:-

- I understand discoverer maps are locked to the card they are bought on ?

- can this lock be undone ? (if so, how ?)

- I understand it's also possible to download the discoverer maps rather than buy them on a card ?

- at the point of downloading, the maps cannot be locked to a particular card and presumably bind themselves to the first card they're put on ?

- would it be possible to use mapupload to merge discoverer maps into a single image file (before they were transferred to a card), therefore getting around the need to have several memory cards ?

- does anyone know if 1:25k regions will be released in time ?

Cheers.

I'm seriously tempted by an oregon 300 but don't want to potentially carry around half a dozen memory cards with discoverer maps on. Questions:-

- I understand discoverer maps are locked to the card they are bought on ?---Yes

- can this lock be undone ? (if so, how ?)--- Illegally

- I understand it's also possible to download the discoverer maps rather than buy them on a card ?----- Many people have not been successful

- at the point of downloading, the maps cannot be locked to a particular card and presumably bind themselves to the first card they're put on ? --No the are unlocked to the unit. replace your unit and you loose the maps.

- would it be possible to use mapupload to merge discoverer maps into a single image file (before they were transferred to a card), therefore getting around the need to have several memory cards ? --- Not needed you can use the the Oregon and put as many different maps on the Unit and card since the recent firmware.

- does anyone know if 1:25k regions will be released in time ?--How big would the file be for a 1:25 region?????????? 1:25 only work at 500feet and 300feet and below that they blur. 1:50 for the region is 2GB approx.

Cheers.

Post this type of topic on the Discoverer thread? The answers are next to your question.

Edited by strumble