POI's

CavSoldier

Evening all,

I have been using a GPS since I joined the Army in 1986. I am still amazed every day with the new devices and uses.

My question is; I now work for the railroad. I have a list of lat/long's by 10th's for the railroad. I got them put in my Garmin, but it only shows a dot. You have to mouse over the dot to see the mile marker. Is there a way to have them always show and is there an easier way to input them than using MS Excell?

Thanx

Jim

Well no one has responded to this so I guess I'll try to get this to the next step.

My Garmin is old so I get labeled points, but no "mouse over". What model Garmin do you have?

I think most us us who load lots of PIDs into a GPSr use one of the several programs that make a GPX file from an NGS datasheet file. However you seem to be asking about how to load a bunch of some other kind of data into a GPSr. I don't know how you're using Excel to get points into a Garmin. Are you using Excel to make a comma delimited file first? What kind of file are you transferring to Excel?

Hello There,

For my Garmin 60CSx I create a ***.csv file in Excel accompanied by a 16*16 ***.bmp file.

This pair of files must have the same name ie UKTrigs.csv & UKTrigs.bmp

Put them both into a folder and load them to your GPSr via Garmin POI Loader.

Regards

Bernard

There can't be too many people with a POI file for trigs in their Garmin and Bernard as their first name. Well met!

Bernie ( or Bernard to my mother, still )

I have a Garmin Colorado - my POI file's have a .gpi extension which you can't read with notepad; and my waypoint file's have a .gpx extension which can be opened in notepad an the way-cool xml notepad.

Are you making gpx files? If so post the text of one of the waypoints. When I get home I'll post the text of one of my waypoints and try to figure out which one of the fields is displayed on the screen.

Thank you all for the replies folks. For some reason I always forget to put the critical info in a post so people can help me. Although most people believe there's no help for me anyway. :)

I have a Garmin Nuvi 250W and Nuvi 255W. I have these files in .gpi, Mileposts with RN tab delimited.txt and .csv files. I don't know if it's permissable to send files, but I can if requested.

I am also trying to do the same thing for some of my co-workers who have Magellan Roadmates and TomToms. The problem I had with the Roadmate 1212NA was finding the appropriate POI manager. The one I found says you can't load more than 10,000 POI's. I have more than 17,000. I would like to split up the POI's into Northern and Southern, but they're not set up that way and with 17,000+ POI's, it's a little daunting.

Apparently, there was a disk that came with some of the Magellans that was supposed to have a POI manager, but it didn't come with some.

I hope this is enuf info to get going.

Thanx again

Jim

cavsoldier@att.net

Edited by CavSoldier