Vehicle Static Cling/Decal/Magnet Travel Bugs?

BlueDeuce

How far have you driven with it? How many cachers are there near you? How many times have you passed one of those cachers on the road, with your TB decal facing them? How fast were driving at that time? How many events have you been to? Which way did you face when you parked the car? Have you tried parking in a park where there are tons of caches and leaving your car there all day on a weekend? The odds of running into someone long enough for them to see it, grab pen and paper, or camera, and get the tracking number before you drive away are slim, so events are your best bet for getting anyone to discover it.

Vehicle Static Cling/Decal/Magnet Travel Bugs?, Q&A ABOUT VEHICLE TBs

It got put together with some other threads but the original question in my thread was - How is your Car TB doing?

For me it was 3 Discovers in in almost 4 years and I had to point it out to 2.5 of those cachers.

I'm not real keen on the car TB. Nice idea in theory, not so much in practice.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Vehicle Static Cling/Decal/Magnet Travel Bugs?, Q&A ABOUT VEHICLE TBs

It got put together with some other threads but the original question in my thread was - How is your Car TB doing?

For me it was 3 Discovers in in almost 4 years and I had to point it out to 2.5 of those cachers.

I'm not real keen on the car TB. Nice idea in theory, not so much in practice.

Wow - thanks for that link to the forum, it had a lot of information. As you said - nice idea in theory and not so much in practice.

It still looks cool so I'll keep it on my truck and try to do more events.. but even then - seems like nobody likes to "discover" it since it doesn't count to their tally of geocache finds.

All good.. nice to hear others are not getting as much activity.. maybe in a few years this will take off and more people will do it... or not :laughing:

Thanks again!

It still looks cool so I'll keep it on my truck and try to do more events.. but even then - seems like nobody likes to "discover" it since it doesn't count to their tally of geocache finds.

All good.. nice to hear others are not getting as much activity.. maybe in a few years this will take off and more people will do it... or not B)

Wolverine..... I know of 3, possibly 4, here in the Springs that you haven't found. :unsure:

You should really keep your eyes open. :laughing:

(Maybe you'll see them at the Christmas Party.)

Now to be fair and honest.... When I'm looking for a vehicle TB, I'm looking for something large (4x9). Something easily seen at speed. Also it needs to be on the back of the vehicle, in the normal line of sight.

Edited by ngrrfan

Just purchased a Vehicle Decal TB that came with a set of dogtags. :rolleyes:

The code on the tags and on the decal do not match.

I activated the tags on gc.com but they are not linked to the code on the decal. When I enter the code on the decal as if I was discovering it, I get the message that this does not exist in the system. :rolleyes:

Anyone else encountered this? :)

Just purchased a Vehicle Decal TB that came with a set of dogtags. :)
The Geocaching.com shop sells a decal which specifies it "includes a copy tag that you can write down the code on and keep for your records". I haven't bought one (I cheated by printing a TB decal of my own, using a Travel Bug code I'd already purchased). But from the item description, it seems like the decal is alone (just a decal with a number). If so, the other Travel Bug dogtags are to be used for a different Travel Bug (they're not linked in any way to the decal). Is that possible, or do I have it completely confused? Edited by kunarion

The vehicle magnet comes with a metal replacement tag on it that has the same tracking number (in theory).

That makes sense. But the description states "This static cling... includes a copy tag that you can write down the code on and keep for your records". But I can't figure out why you'd "write down the code" onto a TB tag that already has the code on it. So I've always assumed it was blank. Ok, maybe they mean that you "write down the tag's code onto a separate piece of paper and keep that note for your records". But that's not how it arrived in my brain when I read it.

In reference to the OP: since there's no need for dogtags at all, on a car TB decal, if you get a set of dogtags with a different number, that should be used for a different TB later. Or you could send them back :).

Edited by kunarion

I contacted cache-advance.com via facebook and got a quick response even on a Sunday... appears this is an error and they have offered to make it right. Looks like I have an extra set of tags. :)

Semi-unrelated, but Cache Advance does a nice job in my opinion. I had some car TB decals and a magnet made to match my previously purchased (too small) TB number. Very inexpensive. Nice quality.

I purchased a Window cling TB for my 2006 TrailBlazer (on an impluse) from REI thinking it was sticker... I got it home activated it then went to put it on and found out it was a Window Cling, not a Sticker....

Unfortunately, my windows are tinted Way too Dark to see the cling when its on the inside...

FAIL, on my part... It clearly say on the tag that its a Window Cling...

I should have read better... Sigh...

Edited by solo63137

I purchased a Window cling TB for my 2006 TrailBlazer (on an impluse) from REI thinking it was sticker... I got it home activated it then went to put it on and found out it was a Window Cling, not a Sticker....

Unfortunately, my windows are tinted Way too Dark to see the cling when its on the inside...

/quote]

Can it not be attached on the outside? ... that is where mine is.

if you spend a few bucks at Cache-advance.com they can make you an outside decal with the same number (or a TB magnet).

if you spend a few bucks at Cache-advance.com they can make you an outside decal with the same number (or a TB magnet).

Thanks, I'll check'em out....

Question...

I recently bought a TB able to place on our car.

This kind of TB stays in my hands, how do I get this enabled properly?

When updating, I am able to put it in the collection... Is that the correct way???

Hoping for an answer,

Kind Regards,

Geondre

Question...

When updating, I am able to put it in the collection... Is that the correct way???

Hoping for an answer,

Kind Regards,

Geondre

I thought there was a way to set it as Discovered Only. That being said, it appears I can now drop my SRT in to caches and events. I'll check when I get home tonight and see if someone can actually mark my car as retrieved (would hate to have to steal my car back everytime it is marked on GC)

Question...

Hoping for an answer,

Kind Regards,

Geondre

I thought there was a way to set it as Discovered Only. That being said, it appears I can now drop my SRT in to caches and events. I'll check when I get home tonight and see if someone can actually mark my car as retrieved (would hate to have to steal my car back everytime it is marked on GC)

When I go to your SRT4 Travel Bug page I see it marked "This is collectible" i.e. it's in your own private collection.

When I go to log it the options I see in the drop-down are

Grab from current holder: Mike & Jess

Write Note

Discovered it.

There's no "Hot Wire this vehicle and drive off at speed". Your vehicle is safe from me. ;)

MrsB

Question...

Hoping for an answer,

Kind Regards,

Geondre

When I go to your SRT4 Travel Bug page I see it marked "This is collectible" i.e. it's in your own private collection.

Write Note

Discovered it.

There's no "Hot Wire this vehicle and drive off at speed". Your vehicle is safe from me. ;)

MrsB

Thanx, I've seen some loggings now, so I must have pushed the right button.

Perhaps a point to be improved (for 'GEOcaching development')? ;)

Greetings Geondre

Perhaps a point to be improved (for 'GEOcaching development')? ;)

It would be cool if I could directly select the exact options I want available. So "Discover & Visit" would be a selection. Then I don't have to wonder what combinations -- of "collectable", "inventory", etc. -- I have to set up.

But for what we've got now, you have it set up fine for a car TB. "Grab from current holder" is slightly disturbing (for a car TB :P), but these same settings are perfect for a TB hiking stick (which may be left in the woods deliberately or accidentally).

Question...

Hoping for an answer,

Kind Regards,

Geondre

Write Note

Discovered it.

MrsB

When we first activated the TB, "Grab from current holder" was not an available option.

It's been a while since I looked at the settings on that TB. I'd better get on it before I have to steal it back from someone.

As for the "Hot Wire this vehicle and drive off at speed".... my current anti-theft device (snow) should take care of that.

On a side note; don't put a TB on a car you like to drive spiritedly. If you look through the logs, you'll see why (little embarising, but funny at the same time).

Edit:

I just edited the TB page for my SRT. There is now a check box labelled "Make this Trackable collectible". Removed the check mark, so no more stealing my car back. :lol:

Edited by Mike & Jess

If you move your bug into your collection people will not have a Grab option, just Discover and Note.

That's no good for a car TB. Once I put it in my Collection, it's not available in the drop-down box on a cache log, so I cannot choose to have the TB "Visit" a cache when I do a "Found It" log.

So I put it in my Inventory, which fixes that, but adds the "grab from owner" option. It's no big deal, and that's the most flexible setting for a TB that you never drop, but bring with you cache-to-cache. When I set it up so it can "Visit" a cache (that's what I want), it adds the option for someone else to "Grab" it (that's not automatically what I also want).

... or did I miss an obvious thing? I changed it back to have my car TB "Not In Inventory", it's "In My Collection", and still set to "Not Collectable". Myself or finders can only "Write Note", or "Discover". I cannot have the bug "Visit" a cache, from the options I see.

Edited by kunarion

If you move your bug into your collection people will not have a Grab option, just Discover and Note.

That's no good for a car TB. Once I put it in my Collection, it's not available in the drop-down box on a cache log, so I cannot choose to have the TB "Visit" a cache when I do a "Found It" log.

Initially it looks like you need have it in your drop inventory to do a visit and that allows people to Grab it. I'm still checking.

All of this could be set aside by adding an another stat function that tracks mileage for cache visits, sans Travel Bug. Cachers could share their cacher ID that people can 'Find' without grabbing it away. They could be free to offer it virtually as it doesn't have anything to do with tracking mileage moving from cache to cache. Make it so that knowing a cacher doesn't have anything to do with a travel bug.

They are completely different beasts.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Initially it looks like you need have it in your drop inventory to do a visit and that allows people to Grab it. I'm still checking.

I went to an Event Cache recently, and needed at least "Visit" available, so I'd have a simple record of where the car was. Otherwise, the people who "discovered" the TB that day would have to mention where they saw it, or there's no way to know.

However, if I leave my settings as they are now, I do have the options to either "Write Note" or "Discover". So I could make a log note "Car TB is at [Geocache or Event] today", without doing a Visit in the cache log. So it's a non-terrible way to remove "Grab" from the drop-down menu, if I'm not bothering with TB miles. Even if I have "Grab" available, it's not the end of the world If someone accidentally "Grabs" the TB.

Edited by kunarion

It's just a way of turning your vehicle into a trackable item. The best place to spot such vehicle TBs is parked near event caches! Some owners of such car TBs log them into event caches but you're right, you can't really log them in/out of most caches, although I suppose you might do so if it was a "cache 'n' dash" where you park right by the cache.

If the vehicle is spotted anywhere by another cacher they usually do a "discovered it" log, saying where the vehicle was seen.

Here are a few examples of such vehicle TBs around the UK:

Rogue Tracker's Transporter

The Super Trouper!

Land Rover / Lunar caravan.

The Sonatella's Hawkwind.

MrsB

I was looking at coins and trackables to purchase. Saw the vehicle travel bug decal. Can these be used as a true trackable since they have tracking numbers, and if so how would you define a location of a "moving cache". The concept is an interesting prospect. For instance. Bug is on my motorcycle as I am touring the USA. The bug is registered with Geocaching.com. A cacher spots the decal and records its number, then logs find discribing location of motorcycle/bug when found. If I agree I was in the location discribed allow them the find.

Is this possible?

I currently have one of these on my van and it is spotted alot. When they log the travel bug it is only for discovered and so a location is not needed. Sometimes they will not say where they spotted it but since you have to have the number to even get to the travel bug then I know that they actually saw me somewhere. I have also had a lot of people ask me what it was for and I have told them and they say that it sounds like fun and would like to try the game. I hope this helps.

oops. Seems as though I am way out of touch. I thought I had come up with a new way to waste time. Guess I should dig deeper in the forums before going off without coordinates. Anyway gonna get a VTB and put it on the back of the beemeer and ride till someone finds me.

I was looking at coins and trackables to purchase. Saw the vehicle travel bug decal. Can these be used as a true trackable since they have tracking numbers, and if so how would you define a location of a "moving cache". The concept is an interesting prospect. For instance. Bug is on my motorcycle as I am touring the USA. The bug is registered with Geocaching.com. A cacher spots the decal and records its number, then logs find discribing location of motorcycle/bug when found. If I agree I was in the location discribed allow them the find.

Is this possible?

Typical log entry for your TB:

"Saw this bug at a rest stop on I-70 in Colorado."

OR, maybe this one....

"Saw this bug as it passed me doing 90 on the Bonneville Salt Flats." :o:D

Oh, and if a TB is not physically sitting in the cache, it should not be listed as being in the cache.

Hang on. Some years ago I took a TB to a cache but found that it was too big to fit in it. I asked on a forum if I could log it in and out of the cache, for mileage, even though it had not physically been in the cache. I was advised that this is acceptable.

Are you now telling me that this is against the guidelines?

What if I take the dog tag that comes with my magnetic travel bug to a cache and dip it into and out of the cache? Can I legitimately log the magnetic travel bug (which is affixed to the back of my car), into and out of the cache(s) I have found?

You can log it through a cache, it visited, but if you didn't leave it there, it should not be left logged into the cache, making people think they could come and find a TB, that is not there.

Leaving a TB listed in a cache will make people believe they can come looking for it, and they will only be disappointed to find out that there is no TB. Some people will seek a cache just to find the Trackable.

Now, suppose this was a 10 mile hike you took, uphill both ways, through thorns, snakes, and poison ivy, just to find the TB that has a mission you can help it with, and is listed in the cache, and you get there, and find out it isn't really there. You'd be a tad upset, wouldn't you?

Yes, you can log it through, but don't leave it logged in, if you didn't actually leave it there.

We have had a static TB sticker on our car since last Nov. And other than hinting to someone that we had one and they were near the car, no one else has spotted it, except our daughter when we pulled in to her driveway down in England. I was hoping someone would see it on our travels about the town and elsewhere :( Mind you I forget to look at cars etc when I am out and about! <_<

Is it working like you expected?

Moderator edit to add:

Is it working like you expected?
was the original question in one of many threads that were merged, and ended up as the first post of the merged threads.

Blue Deuce, who is one of our most informative and readily helpful forum users, as you can see in this thread by the number of times he has answered this question, asked that I add this important information from post #102 to his initial post:

They are primarily designed to be Discovered by cachers who happen to come across it. They wouldn't Grab it away and log it through a cache unless they took your truck 4-wheeling.

It's comes with a set of dog tags so that if you decide to stop using your car as a TB you can release it as a normal bug.