Vehicle Static Cling/Decal/Magnet Travel Bugs?

BlueDeuce

Well, if you don't want to take my word for it. I'm just here to explain things the best I can. Either I get it right or I don't, hard to tell sometimes.

I think that we both may be right on this one. But as far as me taking your word, yes I belive you. You do a great job at explaining things in a way that I understand. But when it comes to finding a way around a rule through a loop hole, maybe I'm good at that too? It is hard to tell on this one, and I am not going to be the one to find out the hard way by getting my Geopatch of Vehicle Decal locked. But that is because I choose not to allow virtual logs on my TB's, not because GC says I have to. It just sounds like a Facebook kind of thing and I'm not into that.

Thanks again for your help in these forums. :unsure:

BTW: I'm sure that you know that GC is considering bringing back Virtual caches? Dang it's getting deeper in here!

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

Still no hits on my Volvo. *sigh*

It occured to me the other day that I should have put it on the passenger side or the rear bumper of the car to increase it's exposure to potential passersby.

I'm a few weeks away form retiring the sticker and sending the dog tags out on a proper mission.

If you expect your cache mobile to be discovered as frequently as a normal TB is, forget it. The main time it will be discovered will be at events, when you're on vacation and traveling down the highway or at rest stops, and at the remotest place you can think of when there are only 2 other vehicles around and they belong to cachers. :anibad:

I didn't buy a TB for the cache-van to have it discovered all the time. I bought it for the novelty and to see where and when it would be discovered.

Hope this is the right place for this question.

My Vehicle TB has not been geting any hits, so I want to 'enhance' it.

As my vehicle only goes where I go, I want to add myselfas part of the TB.

I have created a T-shirt which I will attempt to attach to this post. (Nope, needs a URL... I will try, but no guarantee it will work) http://www.zazzle.com/235331101975580816?r...s%3d20%26pg%3d1

(interesting, the format of the post REQUIRES that I use a URL for images, but when I post I get an error message, that the HTML tags that are entered by the post engine, are not allowed. So why did it put them in?? I removed the tags I but have no idea what this will leave behind to access the image)

Anyway, my questions are...

1. Is this 'legal'?

2. How do I change the name of the T-Bug to include myself? Can I just edit the details of the bug?

3. Should I post a picture of the shirt on the TB page?

4. Does making this change mean I have to wear the shirt wherever I go with the vehicle??

I am sooo confused! :(

I've been reading this thread hoping to find out ways to get my vehicle travel bug noticed. It has been logged by other cachers only when I point it out to them.

I log the travel bug into, then immediately out of, caches if I want to have mileage calculated. I have one of the dog-tags on my keychain, which is normally in my pocket when I leave the car to go find a cache. So the bug has reached the cache!

It's rather startling to see the mileage pop up when I visit the pages - have I travelled THAT far just to cache? Surely not, I tell myself... I was going there anyway, right??

BTW I am pleased with the magnetic cling, which has lived on the back of my car through two winters and countless rain, snow and ice storms and remains firmly affixed to the car!

Ms Muffet in Ontario

When I activate the Vehicle Static Clean Travel Bug I got for my SUV is activating it any different then activating a regular travel bug?

Since it will not be in a cache, what do I put down for the location coordinates?

The activation is the same. You will also be given two dog tags that you can use if you ever decide to stop using your car as a TB and want to re-release it normally. Just throw them in a drawer for now.

You can Mark the bug as Missing which will get it out of your drop inventory. Obviously the bug isn't missing but you don't want to see it there every time you log a cache. After activation just access the bug page and under Trackable Item Options you see the option to Mark item missing. Click Go.

Anyone can Discover it while it's out there and it's easily Grabbed back out if say you want to log it through an Event cache.

Thank you, Blue Deuce, for all of the information that you have posted on this subject. We were checking out this forum because we were trying to figure out if we had done something wrong... We activated two separate TBs for our vehicles (one for each), but we keep seeing them as wanting to be dropped at "normal" caches, and we didn't know what to do about it. (I don't want to accidentally hit the wrong button and drop a TB that no one can take... or have to leave my car! :( )

Is it better to mark it as missing rather than putting it in your inventory/collection? (That was the other option we contemplated, but we thought it would take it out of "circulation" and make it un-discoverable.)

Yeah, my advice was pre-collection.

In your collection is better. It will still allow people to Discover it but won't allow them to Grab it away.

After you set it to Collectible, visit Your Profile, select Trackables Inventory and in there is the option to Move to Collection.

Cumbersome but I haven't figured out all the best procedures yet.

When I try to activate my Travel Bug that will go on my vehicle, I do not have an activation code. How do I go about getting one. Nothing had a number that came with the decal. There is a number on the decal but nothing else came with it. Thank you

Edited by dipstx

When you got your travel bug, and activated it, did you have to put in a code other than the number that came on the decal? I didnt get one with mine and cannot seem to activate it. thanks

If you don't have the activation code, send an email to contact@geocaching.com, use the subject line Travel Bug Activation and include the tracking number.

Yeah, my advice was pre-collection.

In your collection is better. It will still allow people to Discover it but won't allow them to Grab it away.

After you set it to Collectible, visit Your Profile, select Trackables Inventory and in there is the option to Move to Collection.

Cumbersome but I haven't figured out all the best procedures yet.

Thanks again... Good to know that we aren't completely clueless.

Now, if only I can get someone to discover it! (And I will point out that I drive one of these to work every day and I work with AT LEAST 3 other geocachers - one of which parks next to me fairly frequently... Perhaps my anti-muggle, stealth settings are a little TOO strong. :) )

I have a Car Magnet TB, and have activated it as a trackable. I'm assuming it always stays "in the hands of the owner", but my goal is to see how many states others spot me and log it accordingly. If it is always in my hands, it appears the mileage calculator will never update? Am I going about this incorrectly, or are car magnets a bit of a square peg in a round hole when it comes to trackables?

Thanks in advance - RhombusRovers

I might be going about this all wrong from the sounds of it. I activated and placed a magnet on my car actually hoping someone would take it and slap it on another car that they knew was going to the trackable's destination.. or move it along (like if they were visiting from out of state they could just put it on their car until someone else took it from them).

So.. that's not how it works? It's more for people to just mark that they spotted it?

I might be going about this all wrong from the sounds of it. I activated and placed a magnet on my car actually hoping someone would take it and slap it on another car that they knew was going to the trackable's destination.. or move it along (like if they were visiting from out of state they could just put it on their car until someone else took it from them).

So.. that's not how it works? It's more for people to just mark that they spotted it?

That is it! To be discovered, not taken and moved.

That is it! To be discovered, not taken and moved.

I have magnetic TB's on my vehicle, and i visit it in every cache we visit, so we track our caching km's. We only visit, not drop. :D

Easy- while logging your cache, click on your tb vehicle. it then gives you the option of dropped off or visited. click on visited. its a bug dip. if you click on dropped off , you have to go back in + pick it up again. the visited option works great. we also post a pic of our tb. When we were out west a lot of cachers didn't know about vehicle TB's.it 's a lot of fun

Hi I got a magnetic travel bug for my birthday, which is great, but do people ake it off my car? There is a wee bug also with it so do i release this too? Please help I am confused!

Jane

Hello do you know where i can get one of these travel bugs...

I had a TB on my last family vehicle, but I found out the window cling, tinted windows, and sunshine don't play well together when I got rid of the car. Most of the ink remained on the window, and made the tag unusable. I have a guy near me that works in vinyl, so I am looking for the "bug" (I already have the tracking number off the dog tag) but the image on the dog tag is too small. I checked on GCU where Ive found EVERYTHING you could need, but still cant get the template to replace my bug. TIA!

I have put a vehicle decal travel bug (on my vehicle, nonetheless) but have not seen anyone log a "find". Although "finds" are not counted... I thought it'd be cool to put one on my vehicle but seems fruitless if nobody seems to care to log a find... or do people not care and don't want to bother? I saw them on other vehicles and thought they were the neatest thing.. which I still do but feel deflated that only a few people have bothered to say they saw my travel bug.. or did I have high expectations? :laughing:

I have put a vehicle decal travel bug (on my vehicle, nonetheless) but have not seen anyone log a "find". Although "finds" are not counted... I thought it'd be cool to put one on my vehicle but seems fruitless if nobody seems to care to log a find... or do people not care and don't want to bother? I saw them on other vehicles and thought they were the neatest thing.. which I still do but feel deflated that only a few people have bothered to say they saw my travel bug.. or did I have high expectations? :laughing:

Had mine for a while and only one discover at an event.

Official Geocache Inspection Vehicle

Since I've had it I've discovered 2 others locally.

From what I've heard one or two discovers a year is about normal.

I made a suggestion a while ago that we be able to register our car registration (number) plates as the tracking number. we could then get plates made up that include the TB logo, making it really simple and safe to get other peoples TB for vehicles.

One day (when really bored) im going to do a supermarker car park check, just to see if anyone has one.