Vehicle Static Cling/Decal/Magnet Travel Bugs?

BlueDeuce

Domo!!!

I have Two Vehicle Static Cling/Decal TBs.

One is my cache-cah, which sometimes gets 'discovered' by cachers at events, but not yet on the road or trail or elsewhere.

The Other, is stuck onto a very very rare vehicle that is the very first to be imported to the USA quite resently, and still now only less than a dozen are in the States. After searching GC.com, I think it's also the very first TB of it's kind, even in the whole GC world.

The First-To-Discover prize, is to get a FREE RIDE in it!!!

No one has yet!

Now, go 'Discover' it!

Hint: ZbabGenpre

It seems to me that it'd be a good idea for Groundspeak to add a few features for trackables, specifically the ability to "dip" a trackable should be more streamlined, perhaps as its own option (that doesn't leave two logs) and it'd be a lot cooler if you could post coordinates for trackables you discover, letting peoples' personal trackables develop maps based on where they've been spotted, rather than just a list of who's discovered them. :)

It seems to me that it'd be a good idea for Groundspeak to add a few features for trackables, specifically the ability to "dip" a trackable should be more streamlined, perhaps as its own option (that doesn't leave two logs) and it'd be a lot cooler if you could post coordinates for trackables you discover, letting peoples' personal trackables develop maps based on where they've been spotted, rather than just a list of who's discovered them. :)

Groundspeak is considering the option. One problem is people leaving travelers at places other than caches assuming the posted coords are enough. You can't list nearby bugs unless they are showing as placed in a cache.

The other day, whilst purchasing a small fortune of Geocaching goodies, I added a Magnetic Travel Bug (for my car) to my cart.

I really don't have a clue how this works though!

I have activated the bug, stuck it on my car and now I'm sitting back waiting.

If someone spots my car, they can register the TB find...but what do they out as the cache and where they discovered it?

Is it treated in the same way as a normal TB?

Please tell me more about them! Thank you

The other day, whilst purchasing a small fortune of Geocaching goodies, I added a Magnetic Travel Bug (for my car) to my cart.

I really don't have a clue how this works though!

I have activated the bug, stuck it on my car and now I'm sitting back waiting.

If someone spots my car, they can register the TB find...but what do they out as the cache and where they discovered it?

Is it treated in the same way as a normal TB?

Please tell me more about them! Thank you

Typical log entry will look something like this:

"Discovered while driving down Hwy 185 at rest stop near Podunk, USA." Or

"Discovered at Billy Bob's Gas, Food and Laundry in Podunk USA."

Is there a way to ensure that people don't "take" your travel bug decal'd vehicle and inadvertently add to their inventory? Common sense & courtesy would say that when one logs it in, they use the "DISCOVER" option. But I'm afraid they won't. Will putting your vehicle TB in a "collection" status still allow them to find your TB bug and just log a discovery? If not, can we have it so that TB's can be set by owners to be logged as discoverable only? Thanks.

I believe the latest site update added a feature that hopefully would address your concern:

Trackable Collections

I haven't tried it out yet, but just reading the Knowledgebook kind of gives me that impression.

Very interesting! Thanks!

Looks like that addressed it! I put my Jeep into Collections and when you look it up and try to add a log entry, your only options are to Write a Note or Discover it. Good deal. Thanks all!

Or did you think I was going to take your car and park it in my back yard?

Nah. My intention when I got the TB Decal was to identify myself to other cachers that I was one of the flock as well as for people to log in saying where they saw the Jeep. Not for them to stick in their inventory and then drop off in a nano cache somewhere, thinking it would be hilarious or something.

Looks like that addressed it! I put my Jeep into Collections and when you look it up and try to add a log entry, your only options are to Write a Note or Discover it. Good deal. Thanks all!

you are wrong, someone else can "grab it" :ph34r:

you won't see that option because is in your possession, but anyone else does see it, which totally defeats the purpose of having it in a "collection"

i just found that out myself and started a thread about it

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4364172

Edited by t4e

It would appear that placing a bug in your collections shows it as being In the hands of the owner and The finder would have the option to Grab it away.

This is really no different then when the bug was out to an unknown location.

Yes, they can Grab it away and you can Grab it back. That really only add a couple extra steps and you can delete the log if you wish or simply tell them to not do it again.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I thought about one of those, but didn't want to advertise that I have a GPS in my car. They are a hot item to steal around here.

The way I figure it is that if they know what the Travel Bug symbol stands for, chances are they have a GPS already. Maybe I'll just get one of those "This car protected by Smith & Wesson" decals while I'm at it...

It would appear that placing a bug in your collections shows it as being In the hands of the owner and The finder would have the option to Grab it away.

Yes, they can Grab it away and you can Grab it back. That really only add a couple extra steps and you can delete the log if you wish or simply tell them to not do it again.

Hmmm...makes no sense to be able to grab it away from an owner's collection Anyway, I'm not too concerned at this point. Either someone's gotta be a total dunce or a total d ick to take it. I think the vast majority of cachers won't be that way. We'll see...

Is there a way to ensure that people don't "take" your travel bug decal'd vehicle and inadvertently add to their inventory? Common sense & courtesy would say that when one logs it in, they use the "DISCOVER" option. But I'm afraid they won't. Will putting your vehicle TB in a "collection" status still allow them to find your TB bug and just log a discovery? If not, can we have it so that TB's can be set by owners to be logged as discoverable only? Thanks.

Hey.... if someone takes my cache van...... well that's grand theft auto. :ph34r:

If I can't get it back then I'll get a new(er) vehicle........... maybe a 4wd this time. ;)

Hmmm...makes no sense to be able to grab it away from an owner's collection

I'm just stating the facts. Making sense of things isn't my job. :blink:

I wondered about someone constantly stealing my truck when I put the decal on there. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure it will eventually. It's been on there about a year or so. Think there ought to be a way to lock it so that it can only be discovered and not grabbed from your possession.

Put the sticker on your car and the two tags in a drawer somewhere safe.

You should only have one trackable item in circulation for each unique TB number, so while you have the cling TB on your car then don't use the dog tags.

If you decided later on that you're not getting many hits on your car TB you might want to forget that idea and then you can always remove the cling and use the TB tag to send out a regular TB item.

MrsB :D

I have one of these in the back window of our Jeep. I had to get myself one after I ran across another cacher with one on his SUV. Its been on there for almost six months and still no one has found it. ;) I half considered having my wife log it under her ID, but she says we need to wait and see if someone will find it. I even went caching on private property the other day half way hoping the cacher would be home so he could "find" the jeep TB, but he was gone. :D

I have one of these in the back window of our Jeep. I had to get myself one after I ran across another cacher with one on his SUV. Its been on there for almost six months and still no one has found it.

I don't care how many people log mine. It's something that as you travel people will see it at rest stops or eatin' joints and log it then. It's how my caching partner met another couple as she was looking for a cache at a rest stop.

I have one of these in the back window of our Jeep. I had to get myself one after I ran across another cacher with one on his SUV. Its been on there for almost six months and still no one has found it. :D I half considered having my wife log it under her ID, but she says we need to wait and see if someone will find it. I even went caching on private property the other day half way hoping the cacher would be home so he could "find" the jeep TB, but he was gone. :D

go to an event and park it in a good spot ;)

ya know... I have often thought about how potentially embarassing these might be when you get a log on your tbs page like "Discovered this while driving down HWY 1, and was cut off by a raging tb" or "Discovered this one as it blew a red light... watching your gps while driving?"

not that I drive like a maniac...

I think it would be cool if there was a way to designate the car travel bugs as such so that they got their own icon, instead of the regular barcode bug. That way you could visually track how many vehicles you have come across.

Ack, icon candy. Start making geocoin cars and leave bugs alone.

I activated my vehicle TB, and stuck it on my vehicle. Is there anything I else need to do?

Other than selling them, Geocaching.com doesn't really provide much information these, and they really are a different concept than the traditional TB.

Edited by TeamCaribou