Vehicle Static Cling/Decal/Magnet Travel Bugs?

BlueDeuce

I've had mine since March of 07.

Two hits.

One is a guy I work and cache with. I usually drive.

The other is a guy who's daughter played softball with mine. He and I would stand in the parking lot chatting while waiting to pick them up.

Hardly random encounters.

I probably have had more comments about my license plate than the bug.

Hey now, I'm on the look out for that bug. I know I'll spot it one day. I didn't see the TB when I saw your lisecne plate go by me one morning. I'll find it some day. :)

I've got a question, I've got a car TB which moves from my work van to our car. I've got it set up so someone that see's it can pick it up and drop it along their travel's. If it sitting in a car too long, I'll pick it up and hang on to it. Is that ok? Just wondering or if I should redo the goal of it. I just wrote it up like that for fun and to see where it get's put. And if did take a trip to geowoodstock this year by another local cacher. It was funny to see it dropped about 700 miles from where I live.

Which it's been in a cache for a while, I'm on my way to pick up my car now. :blink:

Hey now, I'm on the look out for that bug. I know I'll spot it one day. I didn't see the TB when I saw your lisecne plate go by me one morning. I'll find it some day. :)

I've got a question, I've got a car TB which moves from my work van to our car. I've got it set up so someone that see's it can pick it up and drop it along their travel's. If it sitting in a car too long, I'll pick it up and hang on to it. Is that ok? Just wondering or if I should redo the goal of it. I just wrote it up like that for fun and to see where it get's put. And if did take a trip to geowoodstock this year by another local cacher. It was funny to see it dropped about 700 miles from where I live.

Which it's been in a cache for a while, I'm on my way to pick up my car now. :blink:

I can always park out front of your house and lay on the horn. Of course I'll drive off as soon as you come out. :cry:

Is your bug 'tag' moving along with the taker?

Edited to add quote and clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I can always park out front of your house and lay on the horn. Of course I'll drive off as soon as you come out. :(

Is your bug 'tag' moving along with the taker?

Edited to add quote and clarification.

Too funny. :D:P

No, the bug stay's on the car or van. I just have intended for a cacher to "steal" my ride, and they drop it somewhere in a cache and then I just pick it back up.

But it sound's like I should change it.

Ok, so I ordered a car decal travel bug. I expected to get a decal and a dog tag copy with the same ID number to hold on to. I actually got 2 decals and a dog tag with the same ID number and a copy dog tag. Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it is, but what do I do? I stuck the decal on my truck. Should I put the othr decal on my van? Should I hide the Travel Bug dog tag too? I'm so confused. Thanks for your help.

Grace and Peace, Beau :rolleyes:

The second decal is a spare. They provide the tags so that if at some point you decide to stop using your car as a TB you can release it as normal. You would not release multiple bugs with the same tracking number.

Just throw them in a drawer for now.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I GOT MY FIRST HIT THE OTHER DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been on there since about Christmas time and finally, someone logged it. I was at the kid's school for a meeting a few days before school was to begin. The one teacher there does alot of caching and when I got home that day, it was finally logged. I about fell off the chair. I ran out to tell my wife and she gave me that look like she was happy for me, but didn't see the big picture of it all. lol.

No, the bug stay's on the car or van. I just have intended for a cacher to "steal" my ride, and they drop it somewhere in a cache and then I just pick it back up.

:P

---

So it's been a month now and not 'discovered' yet. Dipped it plenty of places, hoping the first event I make it to I might get some discovery.

Anyone got tips for getting discovered more apart from the obvious drive to a cache and bump into another geocacher?

I just ordered a TB car decal, which should arrive next week. I was planning on putting the decal on my car, a Scion xB and attaching the tags to a toy Scion xB. On the TB goal page, I planned to ask people just to discover my real car, and to log the toy in and out of caches like a regular TB. Is this an appropriate way to go about it?

I just ordered a TB car decal, which should arrive next week. I was planning on putting the decal on my car, a Scion xB and attaching the tags to a toy Scion xB. On the TB goal page, I planned to ask people just to discover my real car, and to log the toy in and out of caches like a regular TB. Is this an appropriate way to go about it?

The tags are provided in case you decide to stop using your car as a Travel Bug. Throw them in a drawer for now as you cannot release more than one bug with the same tracking number.

The tags are provided in case you decide to stop using your car as a Travel Bug. Throw them in a drawer for now as you cannot release more than one bug with the same tracking number.

Okay, this kind of answers my question. I just bought my first decal and it came with a set of TB tags. I was wondering if I was to send the tags to caches and put the decal on my car or what. So you are saying you just use the decals or use the tags, but not both at the same time?

We just put our window decal up yesterday. Was a little confused about what to do with the tags but that has now been answered here. Thanks. I never really worried about how many discoveries we'd get from it and never even thought about dipping it into a cache. The most important thing, to me anyway, is that it will identify us to fellow cachers. I'm sure we will get questions about that 'weird bug sticker' on our car from the curious but that's cool too.

I've had one for a year or two, and it rarely gets logged by anybody other than me logging it into and out of caches I drive close to. It's currently prominently displayed on teh side of the truck I drive, albeit at about 9 feet above the ground! But it just seems like that big white patch should draw some activity.

I've had one for a year or two, and it rarely gets logged by anybody other than me logging it into and out of caches I drive close to. It's currently prominently displayed on teh side of the truck I drive, albeit at about 9 feet above the ground! But it just seems like that big white patch should draw some activity.

Gosh, I never even thought about looking for them on semis.

Now that it was mentioned I'll be looking at every one that passes me by on the interstate!

When I activate the Vehicle Static Clean Travel Bug I got for my SUV is activating it any different then activating a regular travel bug?

Since it will not be in a cache, what do I put down for the location coordinates?

The activation is the same. You will also be given two dog tags that you can use if you ever decide to stop using your car as a TB and want to re-release it normally. Just throw them in a drawer for now.

You can Mark the bug as Missing which will get it out of your drop inventory. Obviously the bug isn't missing but you don't want to see it there every time you log a cache. After activation just access the bug page and under Trackable Item Options you see the option to Mark item missing. Click Go.

Anyone can Discover it while it's out there and it's easily Grabbed back out if say you want to log it through an Event cache.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm considering doing a vehicle TB, but do I also need to start a cache for the TB to work?

I also ran into a TB on a blog, I know that virtual caches are bye bye... sadly. Are TBs still permitted on websites? How did they get a TB on their website? Scan the tag? (I'm assuming that is one thing NOT to do, thus breaking the TOS?)

You don't need to start a cache to place your Tb but car travel bugs are typically not logged through caches. (Vehicles tend to tear up the trail) We can talk about that here more in a bit.

Assuming the bug you saw online was a gc.com trackable bug virtual logging is a no-no. Offering a bug to be logged online, one that you never actually found could result in the bug being locked down permanently.

You don't need to start a cache to place your Tb but car travel bugs are typically not logged through caches. (Vehicles tend to tear up the trail) We can talk about that here more in a bit.

Assuming the bug you saw online was a gc.com trackable bug virtual logging is a no-no. Offering a bug to be logged online, one that you never actually found could result in the bug being locked down permanently.

My understanding is that virtual caches are grandfathered, but new ones can't be made. I was not sure that virtual TBs were permitted, I knew that virtual caches WERE permitted.

So I'm alittle confused...

now as far as the vehicle tearing up trails... well if its on DESIGNATED vehicle road/trails I don't see an issue with that :smile: and besides my 1 ton F350 is better off on paved roads for the sake of the tow truck driver who doesn't bring out a big enough rig :lol:

My understanding is that virtual caches are grandfathered, but new ones can't be made. I was not sure that virtual TBs were permitted, I knew that virtual caches WERE permitted.

No, not virtual caches, virtual logging, meaning that the bug isn't actually physically traveling.

AND THIS MOST IMPORTANT ONE: If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system. And it's not fair play.

now as far as the vehicle tearing up trails... well if its on DESIGNATED vehicle road/trails I don't see an issue with that :smile: and besides my 1 ton F350 is better off on paved roads for the sake of the tow truck driver who doesn't bring out a big enough rig :lol:

Yes, if you can get your car to the cache location you can log it. Usually most can only get their car to an event location. :lol:

Be kind, I am a newbie! ;)

I have a Geomate Jr so I am unable to hide a cache since it will not give me Lat. & Long. I was at a greet and meet on Friday where some people were talking about a vehicle being a cache using a travel bug. I have a travel bug that I bought on geocaching.com (I bought it before I knew what to do with it) and then I saw on ebay where someone will make a decal for my vehicle using my travel bug numbers.

My questions are, is this possible to do with your vehicle? What suggestions would you have if it is possible, as far as logging or ????? Also how do I go about posting the 'vehicle bug on geocaching.com?

I hope you all don't think I am nut. I just started doing this sport and I LOVE it!! This weekend I found a travel bug in a cache (my first one) and I am so excited about finding the perfect cache to put it in now. I was just a little dismayed when I found I couldn't hide my own bugs because the Geomate Jr. does not allow you to do so. Thank you one and all, Happy Hunting!

Be kind, I am a newbie! :signalviolin:

I have a Geomate Jr so I am unable to hide a cache since it will not give me Lat. & Long.

G'day Kaylac6500

Just a really quick snippet of info. The Geomate.jr can actually show you latitude and longitude. Simply press the page button (the small one on the right) two times (or until you see the navigation info icon - an 'N' in a circle in the bottom right of your screen). Now press the NEXT button (the big one) once and you'll see the latitude, press it again and you'll see the longitude.

Cheers

Warren

(the Geomate.jr bloke)

Be kind, I am a newbie! :signalviolin:

I have a Geomate Jr so I am unable to hide a cache since it will not give me Lat. & Long. I was at a greet and meet on Friday where some people were talking about a vehicle being a cache using a travel bug. I have a travel bug that I bought on geocaching.com (I bought it before I knew what to do with it) and then I saw on ebay where someone will make a decal for my vehicle using my travel bug numbers.

My questions are, is this possible to do with your vehicle? What suggestions would you have if it is possible, as far as logging or ????? Also how do I go about posting the 'vehicle bug on geocaching.com?

I hope you all don't think I am nut. I just started doing this sport and I LOVE it!! This weekend I found a travel bug in a cache (my first one) and I am so excited about finding the perfect cache to put it in now. I was just a little dismayed when I found I couldn't hide my own bugs because the Geomate Jr. does not allow you to do so. Thank you one and all, Happy Hunting!

Hello :sad:

Also...

If you want to release your travel bug, you don't need to have your own cache in order to do so.

You can drop it any cache to start its journey. (with proper logging)

I see from the GS site that you can put a TB on your car and also sew a TB Patch to your jacket making them trackable. So how does this work? Do you log them in and out of every cache you visit? If you see one in your travels, do you log it into the nearest cache or do you just forget about the caching and log the relevent TB page? Do you discover it from an unknown location and place it back to an unknown location? Please explain!

Thanks! SVAQUARELLE

Travel bugs are really supposed to travel via caches. Some people, including myself, have a car TB that is primarily to be Discovered by other cachers who come across it. Since my car rarely visits a cache it typically stays in my inventory. (Unknown Location)

Some cachers have a personal travel bug that they log through every cache they visit. The bug could be attached to a hat or shirt. I carry the TB Tag on my keychain.

The main rule is no virtual logging, don't log a TB you never found or saw, and don't log bugs through caches they never visited. If you find a bug in a cache you can likely take it with you. If you find one on a car or shirt you are probably just supposed to Discover it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Travel bugs are really supposed to travel via caches. Some people, including myself, have a car TB that is primarily to be Discovered by other cachers who come across it. Since my car rarely visits a cache it typically stays in my inventory. (Unknown Location)

Some cachers have a personal travel bug that they log through every cache they visit. The bug could be attached to a hat or shirt. I carry the TB Tag on my keychain.

The main rule is no virtual logging, don't log a TB you never found or saw, and don't log bugs through caches they never visited. If you find a bug in a cache you can likely take it with you. If you find one on a car or shirt you are probably just supposed to Discover it.

That being the case, if your car bug is discovered and not logged into a cache, does that mean there is no means of recording travel mileage? Is there a provision of the Discover it to input a location/lat/long? Thanks for the quick reply!

SVAQUARELLE

You can log your own Vehicle TB through all the caches you visit to keep track of your own personal mileage, but it can be a tedious process if you are an avid cacher. Others can "discover" your vehicle. Don't pass out the tracking number, or post it online in photos, so that people start logging it virtually, as this is considered abuse of the geocaching.com system, and can result in having your TB locked, and even Triple AAA can't get the lock open for you then. :blink:

Blue Deuce can tell you, vehicle TBs don't always get a lot of action. Sometimes you have to prod people to see it and take note of it to log later.

I have a TB sticker on my netbook that I do all my caching on. I always bring it on cache runs, and I've even had other cachers notice it and comment. It has never been discovered.

For my own purposes, I will dip it into all the caches I own and a select few caches when I'm out and about. I try to go for the farthest cache that I visited that day to reflect the distance traveled

I see from the GS site that you can put a TB on your car and also sew a TB Patch to your jacket making them trackable. So how does this work? Do you log them in and out of every cache you visit? If you see one in your travels, do you log it into the nearest cache or do you just forget about the caching and log the relevent TB page? Do you discover it from an unknown location and place it back to an unknown location? Please explain!

Thanks! SVAQUARELLE

My husband and I have a patch that is sewn on our geocaching pack that we take with us when we're out caching. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...e9-cbd1e6442e32 I do log it in and out of every cache we've been to, at least so far :) It's not that bad, I just keep a seperate TB page open and drop it in the cache when I do a "found it" log. Then I go to the TB page and retrieve it out of that cache. Just flipping from one open browser page to the other.

We took the patch with us to our first local event and several cachers we met discovered it there. Oh, and there were at least 3 cachers at the event that had "Hello My name is" metal tags that were magnetic that had a place for their screen name/real name and their tracking number on them.

Edited by K9 Royale

Thanks for all the input guys.

I recommend adding an optional lat/lon field to discovered TB listings in order to track approximate geo location and mileage of the bug when discovered. Possible, practical, desireable?

SVAQUARELLE

That would be a question for the geocaching.com website forums.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I recommend adding an optional lat/lon field to discovered TB listings in order to track approximate geo location and mileage of the bug when discovered. Possible, practical, desireable?

SVAQUARELLE

That would be a question for the geocaching.com website forums.

Thanks, I will pose the question there.

svaquarelle