Cache hunting from Airport area

wor!dw!de

Hello Qatar GC's. I will have a layover from midnite to about 1000am in mid-Novemeber and I was wondering if this is a good time to to some caching??? Are there many caches close enough to the airport where I can make a grabNgo and still have plenty of time? Preferably in the 5-9am hours.

Thanks

Mid-November is lovely weather and in 5-9 hours you will manage a heap of city caches. You could even do a few outside the city as well if you have transport. Taxis are very cheap in Doha although there is a surcharge after midnight. Meters are not regulated by time here - only distance so waiting should not be a problem with the driver.

There are about 5 caches within walking distance [3km] and many more a bit further away. You do not mention a date. If it is a Thursday or Friday night perhaps we could arrange to get together. Another thing, visa requirements are pretty strict here unless you are from one of the 32 countries allowed visas on arrival which cost under $20 per visit.

If you are interested I could give you a list of possible caches to do during your time here. Looking forward to you reply posting.

[Edited later : I see you are currently in Iraq. Will you be at Doha International Airport or Udied Air Base? They are miles apart and I doubt there will be any taxis available from Udied.]

Edited by cincol

Hi and thanks for the great info cincol. I just made my official flight plans and I will land in Qatar on Sunday, 15 November at midnite and I should return to the airport (DIA) around 1000am on for my flight back to this area. So that gives me about 5 solid hours of cache time if the visa process (for a US citizen) is smooth and arrival times are met. I hope to be caching by sunrise during my brief layover.

And yes, please send me a listing of the favorite local caches and I'll take a look at the posts at the GC site and find the caches that I would like to grab for sure. Thanks again and if time permits, perhaps we can grab a newly placed cache in your area.

Sunday is a working day for unfortunately so I will be unable to take you around. :( Looks as though you will have close to 10 hours available. That will take you pretty far. Immigration and visa formailties should be less than 15 minutes. Qatar Immigration [and all government departments] is a cashless environment so make sure you have a visa credit card or visa electron debit card handy. Mastercard is not accepted. Diners Club and Amex are accepted at selected places only. They MIGHT be accepted at Immigration too, don't know.

A number of the caches you would be able to do in the dark with a small flashlight. Doha is a city that never sleeps so there will always be activity wherever you might go. PM me cincol[at]qatar dot net dot qa and then I will have your address to respond to.