stolen cache contents

:P

Someone in the Gainesville FL area has been stealing contents of caches and leaving a note saying 'the contents of this cache have been stolen by the famous muggle captain chuck norris.'

Five of mine have been hit and I know of at least four others.

It has been ongoing now for two weeks.

Any ideas other than just ignoring it?

I changed most of my caches (except those with long hikes) to Premium Only.

That was a pain because we have over 70 active caches, so the guy has screwed us up in two different ways (not to mention that now folks who are just regular members cannot hunt our caches).

Perhaps a geocaching sting operation !

Sounds like the exact same situation we experienced here in the Phoenix area back in 2004(?), but the desperado called himself Captain Mad Morty McVane.

His idea was to 'capture' your cache's contents, and place them in a cache of his own. Your challenge would be to find his cache, retrieve your cache's contents, and restore them to your cache.

Needless to say, his concept did not meet with much favor (to say the least).

After multiple threats of bodily harm, the Captain faded away quickly, without ever hiding a cache of his own.

Sounds like the exact same situation we experienced here in the Phoenix area back in 2004(?), but the desperado called himself Captain Mad Morty McVane.

His idea was to 'capture' your cache's contents, and place them in a cache of his own. Your challenge would be to find his cache, retrieve your cache's contents, and restore them to your cache.

After multiple threats of bodily harm, the Captain faded away quickly, without ever hiding a cache of his own.

The question is "did he fade away quickly?" or was he quietly stung, to never be heard from again?

People who do things like that take a huge risk against running into someone who is just barely on the edge of being a threat to society. A person who is just barely hinged might enjoy the chance to act out on their urges for a just cause.

Just sayin...

The question is "did he fade away quickly?" or was he quietly stung, to never be heard from again?

People who do things like that take a huge risk against running into someone who is just barely on the edge of being a threat to society. A person who is just barely hinged might enjoy the chance to act out on their urges for a just cause.

Just sayin...

Hey, with your graphics skills, you should put together a Bittsen version of Palladin's "Have Gun, Will Travel" business card for threads like this one!!

Count yourself lucky it is just the contents. Leave things as they are for a while and the semi-human slug will most likely get bored and move on to other mischief. Eventually he will get busted knocking over a liquor store. Hopefully by a clerk with a ball bat and a hell of a swing.

:(

Someone in the Gainesville FL area has been stealing contents of caches and leaving a note saying 'the contents of this cache have been stolen by the famous muggle captain chuck norris.'

Five of mine have been hit and I know of at least four others.

It has been ongoing now for two weeks.

Any ideas other than just ignoring it?

That was a pain because we have over 70 active caches, so the guy has screwed us up in two different ways (not to mention that now folks who are just regular members cannot hunt our caches).

Perhaps a geocaching sting operation !

"Captain Chuck Norris"?

With that lack of imagination, he'll be bored by next weekend, and move on to his next adventure.

The "XXXXXXX" (I will not acknowledge them), only lasted two weeks in our parts. It shook us up a bit, but we did our best to ignore them and they did go away, rather quickly.

I'm sorry but that is hilarious. No I am not getting any ideas; but wow, stealing the content and then you have to find it, you have to admit that the ideas creative. I wouldn't want to done to my caches, but it's still making me laugh.

Hey, with your graphics skills, you should put together a Bittsen version of Palladin's "Have Gun, Will Travel" business card for threads like this one!!

I'm not allowed to own a gun. I am allowed to own an aluminum baseball bat though.

Are you allowed to own business cards?

Of course, you could change it to "Have Bat Will Travel". but a lot is lost in the translation.

I'm not allowed to own a gun. I am allowed to own an aluminum baseball bat though.

Are you allowed to own business cards?

Of course, you could change it to "Have Bat Will Travel". but a lot is lost in the translation.

That depends on the bat.

coolweapon.jpg

Did you change the ones that were already found to Subscriber Only? Not much point in doing this as the person already knows where it is.

Is the swag so valuable that it warrants excluding Members?

If you leave swag in a public place for the enjoyment of the public how can it be stealing?

Sure, I don't mind if someone decides to take swag and not trade fair -- even though we always do. What bothers me is that he took some geocoins and TBs and also the log books. So the caches need to be fixed, which will take some of my time (no big deal), and some people lost their traveling items. I guess this is why more often than not, people around here have stopped putting real geocoins in caches, and instead have color laminated photocopies of them for circulation. The main reason for that is to avoid them being lost by novice cachers, but now we also have thiefs.

Appreciate all of this discussion and will ignore this guy until he goes away. I like the reponse about him ending up robbing a liquor store.

Here's my idea:

Disable one of your caches, then put some flour (loose and no package) in that one he keeps frequenting with a Note on top directed to him,

"Dear Cap'n Norris,

You have messed with the wrong geocacher! Since you have opened this container and have exposed yourself, maybe you should know what is about to happen to you before it does. Funny thing, (insert favorite powdered poison here), It will eat you alive.........(then go on to explain some side effects)

I hope you have enjoyed your last raid of a cache in this area and thanks for playing, you may die now.

Goodbye,

(your name here)"

If that doesn't scare him off, I don't know what will. LOL!

<<ok, to all the serious people, this is just a joke, not to be taken literally. I'm just trying to make lite conversation here, please don't take it serious. There is really not much you can do, save the motion camera detection near one of them to snap a pic. However, turn the flash off, in case of a dark raid. Won't want him to take the camera too.>>

Here's my idea:

Disable one of your caches, then put some flour (loose and no package) in that one he keeps frequenting with a Note on top directed to him,

"Dear Cap'n Norris,

You have messed with the wrong geocacher! Since you have opened this container and have exposed yourself, maybe you should know what is about to happen to you before it does. Funny thing, (insert favorite powdered poison here), It will eat you alive.........(then go on to explain some side effects)

I hope you have enjoyed your last raid of a cache in this area and thanks for playing, you may die now.

Goodbye,

(your name here)"

If that doesn't scare him off, I don't know what will. LOL!

<<ok, to all the serious people, this is just a joke, not to be taken literally. I'm just trying to make lite conversation here, please don't take it serious. There is really not much you can do, save the motion camera detection near one of them to snap a pic. However, turn the flash off, in case of a dark raid. Won't want him to take the camera too.>>

Your powder idea did get me to thinking though. What if you put some fluorescent powder in the cache? Then you could find the thief by looking for the fluorescent handprints left behind.

Or better yet, you could put the fluorescent powder all over the ground near the cache and follow footprints.

Hmmmmmmm

The stuff I am talking about is incredibly potent. A gram can be used to tint well over 10 gallons of paint.