Signaure Items

awatsonclan

Hi,

I was wondering what signature items everyone has, if they have any???

I am thinking about getting guitar picks made. What do you think?

I know a lot of people use calling cards but I have been to several caches recently and they have been mouldy mush in the bottom. So I am going to stay away from these.

Thank you

Hi,

I was wondering what signature items everyone has, if they have any???

I am thinking about getting guitar picks made. What do you think?

I know a lot of people use calling cards but I have been to several caches recently and they have been mouldy mush in the bottom. So I am going to stay away from these.

Thank you

I use guitar picks. I went the cheap route though, write my moniker on them with a marker. I never thought about having them custom made.

I made a variety of pin buttons. Since they have some paper in them, I individually ziplock them.

Guitar picks would be great! Now the challenge is to prevent them from ending up among the mouldy mush in the bottom. :P

Edited by kunarion

I use guitar picks. I went the cheap route though, write my moniker on them with a marker. I never thought about having them custom made.

I've signed things "kü" and with the year, with a paint pen. Now I've even left silver dimes with no signature -- maybe something unusual like that can be "signature item", since people who are interested can look it up and see who that nut is who leaves silver dimes.

Edited by kunarion

Newb here, but I gave this some thought. I decided to go with steel shots, since I also like to sling shot. They're essentially steel ball bearings. I figure it's of little value to anyone besides myself, and obviously, they can't be printed on or signed otherwise, so I will only include it with an actual item, bagged together. What'll someone do with a random, single steel shot? Who knows? I'd be interested to find out. (Hopefully not the trash can, but I wouldn't be too sad otherwise.)

I just ordered my first set of Pathtags. (just Google it to find their website) I can't wait for them to get here. From order to arrival it does take a while (4-6 weeks) but you design it yourself and end up with a small coin (about the size of a 1 Euro coin, or slightly smaller than a US Quarter). I've found a few, and they are really cool signature items.

blueprint.jpg

I just ordered my first set of Pathtags. (just Google it to find their website) I can't wait for them to get here. From order to arrival it does take a while (4-6 weeks) but you design it yourself and end up with a small coin (about the size of a 1 Euro coin, or slightly smaller than a US Quarter). I've found a few, and they are really cool signature items.

Are you going to leave those in the caches that you find?

We also use customized poker chips as our sig. item. We got a couple when we first started caching and I thought they were pretty cool. I love ANY sig item when we find them.

If you had them made I'd love to see a picture.

Are you going to leave those in the caches that you find?

Yep - that's the plan. We ordered 150 of them to start out (was about $200 including initial die set, and first 50 tags - then added another 100 bringing us up to the total) and plan on leaving them when we find a cache we like. Of course I can't leave one at every single cache so we'll be somewhat selective but 150 should go a long way for us based on our caching habits right now. Over time if we stick with this design and just reorder when needed, the cost will approach $1.00 or less per tag.

I'm sure we'll trade a few at caching events. It's also popular for pathtag collectors to trade through the mail but I don't plan on doing that. I want to find tags while out caching versus trading through the mail.

I think the pathtags are really cool and can be made to your liking. Add to the fact that they give you a tracking number and method for it. Really hard to beat. I hope to get me some made. It's the right thing to do if you really want a signature item out there. ;)

I have a bunch of very large copper bellydance costume coins that I've been placing in caches as my signature item. They're made by a famous bellydance zil maker: Saroyan. I think they're quite special and not something found everywhere. Here's what one looks like (with a quarter for size comparison):

8faeaf48-cdcb-405f-91cf-947741fa7a8c.jpg

Check out the Wooden Nickel forums...

Or, check my PhotoBucket Page for photos of sig items I've collected.

I think the signature guitar picks sound great. Right now I'm using some (really) cheap keychains that I got in bulk. I attached a bunny bead and a laminated treasure map I put together in photoshop. My husband is going to be making faces out of stainless steel slugs, and my teenage son will be using Deadpool pathtags when they come in. I also turned my bunny map into a pathtag that I'll be using when those arrive.

Picture.jpg

sigquarter.jpg

blueprint2-1.jpg

blueprint1-1.jpg

Newb here, but I gave this some thought. I decided to go with steel shots, since I also like to sling shot. They're essentially steel ball bearings. I figure it's of little value to anyone besides myself, and obviously, they can't be printed on or signed otherwise, so I will only include it with an actual item, bagged together. What'll someone do with a random, single steel shot? Who knows? I'd be interested to find out. (Hopefully not the trash can, but I wouldn't be too sad otherwise.)

Don't be so sure.

I saw a lady on tv who could carve the statue of liberty on a grain of rice. Of course, a grain of rice would end up in the moldy mush in the bottom.

Any etching on a steel shot might soon rust away, but maybe a plated, or stainless shot could be micro etched by someone with a jewelers loop and a steady hand.

Edited by pragmaticjack
I found a source for the old large British coins.

Very nice. I recall someone placing old Roman coins in a cardboard 2x2 coin flip, either as FTF prize or as signature items.

Are these the old British pennies? I tried looking for a place to get them inexpensively without success.

See, now this would also be something I'd love to order in bulk...any ideas where/how I can get them?

Very nice. I recall someone placing old Roman coins in a cardboard 2x2 coin flip, either as FTF prize or as signature items.

Are these the old British pennies? I tried looking for a place to get them inexpensively without success.

See, now this would also be something I'd love to order in bulk...any ideas where/how I can get them?

Well, I get them from a local coin/stamp/framing shop, 10 coins for $2.50. He has a couple of bulk bins where he tosses anything that doesn't have much of a collectible value. Lots of large foreign coins there too. I just pick through and get what I want. He buys them in bulk (40 pounds a month) from some supplier he has, and goes through them and picks out anything of value.

Maybe a local coin shop in your area will have the same type of "misc." bin.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

posted in another thread, but here's mine:

3880396832_f5c4c6eb00.jpg

where do you get the "Geo-Caps" From???

I made them with photoshop, unused bottle cap's from the brew shop, a lot of patience and a few beers :D if you have any questions about the process... shoot! im also happy to email anyone the alignment template in compressed .psd format... (this was the bane of this project: printer alignment)

Firefly: please provide info on where you got those made - that is exactly what I want to do. Any idea on about what they cost??

Here's the link

Poker Chip Customizer

About $60 to make 300 chips. Refill kits are available too.

I also leave behind custom made poker chips:

P6230005.jpgP6230006.jpg

I make them myself and the instructions are located at INSTRUCTIONS .

I don't make them for others anymore, but they aren't all that hard to do once you get the hang of it. You will find the most expensive part of the process is the ink tanks for your printer.

I also leave behind custom made poker chips:

The problem with printing that they probably won't hold up to moisture, especially if printed with an inkjet. Ordering custom chips is surprisingly inexpensive. You can get the chip printed and delivered for the price of the airtite container.

Edited by Knight2000