NOOB question!

bugeyesuk

ok first post please no flaming! :lol:

When i log field notes from my garmin oregon 200 on geocaching.com i get a message that my finds have been logged, but they dont show on my profile as found, do they take a while to get logged or am i messing up somewhere????

Thanks in advance

Bugs :P

thanks for the quick response!

my oregon is connected via the USB cable and using my pc! lol

seems to be connected fine as geocaching.com says they have uploaded!

i'm not yet a premium member would this block my field notes/ caches found ????

Bugs

(confused of kettering lol)

edit!

when my oregon connects to the pc it goes into usb drive mode so i can do nothing else with the gps! :P

ps of to hit the sack! will catch up with my post tomorrow! thanks folkes

Edited by bugeyesuk

Ok this is exactly what i'm doing (wrong!!!??? :P )

1, plug my oregon into the usb and wait for it to connect :)

2, go to my profile in geocaching.com :)

3, click "access my field notes" :)

4, click "here" under garmin colorado and oregon gps receivers :)

5, click "browse" under upload field notes file :)

6, open "Garmin\geocache_visits.txt" from the file explorer :)

7, click "upload field info" :)

8, get message "6 records successfully uploaded" :)

9, click "return to field notes" :)

10, get message in red "no logs found for your account at this time" :)

11, scream in frustration and blame the dog! :)

12, sulk quietly in the corner :(

13, drink horlicks and sleep off my tantrum!!! :P

lol

ok 1 to 10 is what i actually do!!!

Your fine till point 9 now you need to go to your field notes and post each of the logs.

you should see a list of the caches in the field notes click the post log link add your comments and click submit.

umm isnt that what i'm doing???

9, click "return to field notes"

10, get message in red "no logs found for your account at this time"

item ten is in my field notes section! :(

Your fine till point 9 now you need to go to your field notes and post each of the logs.

you should see a list of the caches in the field notes click the post log link add your comments and click submit.

umm isnt that what i'm doing???

9, click "return to field notes"

10, get message in red "no logs found for your account at this time"

item ten is in my field notes section! :(

oh fyi the geocach text thingy says this:-

G C V 7 G 6 , 2 0 0 9 - 0 8 - 1 4 T 1 0 : 4 0 Z , F o u n d i t , " O U R F I R S T C A C H E R U T H A N D A N D Y A K A B U G E Y E S "

G C 1 6 5 Q 8 , 2 0 0 9 - 0 8 - 1 4 T 1 3 : 3 3 Z , D i d n ' t f i n d i t , " O N E W E T B O O T N O C A C H E "

G C M T X M , 2 0 0 9 - 0 8 - 1 4 T 1 4 : 5 6 Z , F o u n d i t , " H A T E M Y G A R M I N S A I D I T W A S T H I R T Y F O O T U P H I L L "

G C 1 T 9 C D , 2 0 0 9 - 0 8 - 1 6 T 0 9 : 3 8 Z , F o u n d i t , " R O U N D A N D R O U N D I N C I R C L E S L I K E T E D D Y B E A R ! ! ? ; ) "

G C 9 1 E 7 , 2 0 0 9 - 0 8 - 1 6 T 1 0 : 1 2 Z , F o u n d i t , " L O V E H A P P Y V A L L E Y : ) "

G C R C G 8 , 2 0 0 9 - 0 8 - 1 6 T 1 1 : 0 1 Z , F o u n d i t , " "

okay dont think i'm getting my problem across! never was best at describing problems :(

page one Upload field notes (cant screen grab !)

Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site You are logged in as bugeyesuk. Log out

Geocaching Home > My Profile > Upload Field Notes

Upload Your Field Notes File

By default, the site will not upload Field Notes contained in your file before 8/17/2009 7:49:00 PM to reduce accidental duplicate logs. Uncheck the option below to include all Field Notes.

Ignore logs before 8/17/2009 7:49:00 PM

9 records were successfully uploaded.

Return to Field Notes

Instructions

Garmin DeLorme Lowrance Endura To upload Field Notes from your Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon:

Plug your Garmin device into your computer with a USB cable.

Click "Browse" on this web page and go to the Garmin directory on your device’s drive.

Select the file named "geocache_visits.txt" and click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

We recommend that you delete the "geocache_visits.txt" file on your device once your Field Notes have been successfully uploaded.

Once the Field Notes are uploaded you can return to the Field Notes list page to start logging your finds.

To upload Field Notes from your DeLorme Earthmate PN-40:

Plug your PN-40 into your computer with a USB cable.

From the Geocaches Page, press MENU, highlight “Upload Field Notes” and press ENTER.

Click "Browse" on this web page and go to the PN-40’s internal drive (EM_USERMAPS).

Select the file named "FieldNotes.txt" and click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

On your PN-40, press the ENTER button to return to normal GPS use.

We recommend that you delete the "FieldNotes.txt" file on the PN-40 once your Field Notes are uploaded.

Once the Field Notes are uploaded you can return to the Field Notes list page to start logging your finds.

To upload Field Notes from your Lowrance Endura:

Remove any SD card (if present) from the Endura device.

Plug your Endura device into your computer with a USB cable.

Click "Browse" (Windows) or "Choose File" (Mac) on this web page and go to the Endura directory on your computer.

Select the file named "FieldNotes.log" and click "Upload Field Note" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

We recommend that you delete the "FieldNotes.log" file on your device once your Field Notes have been successfully uploaded.

Then i return to field notes Page two see whats written next to the first instance of Field notes?

Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site You are logged in as bugeyesuk. Log out

Geocaching Home > My Profile > Field Notes

Field Notes

No logs have been found for your account at this time.

Groundspeak's Geocaching Field Notes are an easy way to keep track of the caches you found during your geocache hunts.

Your Field Notes

Supported Devices

Geocaching.com currently supports Field Notes using the following devices and applications:

Groundspeak - Geocaching iPhone Application

Using the Groundspeak Geocaching iPhone application, you can submit Field Notes for individual geocaches by pressing the "Post a Field Note" button on the Geocache detail page.

Trimble - Geocache Navigator Application

Using Trimble's Geocache Navigator, you can log your Field Notes on the phone and they will show up on this page once you link the phone to your account. Click here to link Trimble's Geocache Navigator to your account.

Garmin - Colorado and Oregon GPS Receivers

While Geocaching with the Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon you can upload your geocache finds directly from the device once you return back from your day geocaching. Click here to upload Field Notes from your Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon.

DeLorme - Earthmate PN-40 GPS Receivers

While Geocaching with the DeLorme PN-40 you can upload your geocache finds directly from the device once you return back from your day geocaching. Click here to upload Field Notes from your DeLorme PN-40.

Lowrance - Endura GPS Receivers

While Geocaching with the Lowrance Endura you can upload your geocache finds directly from the device once you return back from your day geocaching. Click here to upload Field Notes from your Lowrance Endura.

Sorry just nipped in so not read it all fully. Click on the Return to field notes link then it should show your finds in found order. Click on the compose log and write something, hopefully nice saying how much you enjoyed it :huh: Don't just type in TFTC (unless you really have nothing else to add)

yes this is where it all falls apart!

because when i have clicked on return to field notes i get the red "No logs have been found for your account at this time" message and no option to do anything? :rolleyes:

is this a premium account thing?

Sorry just nipped in so not read it all fully. Click on the Return to field notes link then it should show your finds in found order. Click on the compose log and write something, hopefully nice saying how much you enjoyed it :huh: Don't just type in TFTC (unless you really have nothing else to add)

because when i have clicked on return to field notes i get the red "No logs have been found for your account at this time" message and no option to do anything? :rolleyes:

No it is not a premium member only thing. Are you still logged in? Look at the top right of the screen if your account name appears then you are.

OK, this is speaking as someone with a Garmin Oregon 400t, so not your model, and I haven't read all the notes above because I'm a Bear of Limited Brain who easily gets confused with GPS Workings. However, what strikes me is that like my machine, yours has a different function (i.e., the field log) from your actual web log. In my case, the field log comes in Notebook and following my input at Ground Zero, logs little notes about what I saw/experienced when finding a cache. It notes the cache code, date, time and whatever comments I put.

In order to log your find on Geocaching.com, you need to open the Notebook linked from your GPS, then find the relevant cache page via one of two methods:

1) http://www.geocaching.com/

On the second white box down (currently occupied by the code GCXXXX), and cut and paste the relevant cache code you've found which will bring up the right cache page.

OR

2) By the first white box which will have your co-ords in it, press "Go" and THEN press "with Google maps" so you have a visual impression of where you're talking about. Find the relevant cache icon and open that way.

Once you've got to the relevant cache page, look to the top right and press "Log your visit" and type in the appropriate info. It's possible to edit a log once you've submitted it if you think something's been missed out or you make a mistake, so don't worry about it - you'll soon get used to it.

Hope that's what you were seeking and I'm not barking up the wrong tree, but good luck!

:rolleyes:

Sorry just nipped in so not read it all fully. Click on the Return to field notes link then it should show your finds in found order. Click on the compose log and write something, hopefully nice saying how much you enjoyed it :D Don't just type in TFTC (unless you really have nothing else to add)

because when i have clicked on return to field notes i get the red "No logs have been found for your account at this time" message and no option to do anything? :huh:

No it is not a premium member only thing. Are you still logged in? Look at the top right of the screen if your account name appears then you are.

hi Gushoneybun thanks for your help too!

yes i am still logged in,

the field notes do still upload but the red note of death (No logs have been found for your account at this time) stikll shows after i return to my field notes! :rolleyes:

OK, this is speaking as someone with a Garmin Oregon 400t, so not your model, and I haven't read all the notes above because I'm a Bear of Limited Brain who easily gets confused with GPS Workings. However, what strikes me is that like my machine, yours has a different function (i.e., the field log) from your actual web log. In my case, the field log comes in Notebook and following my input at Ground Zero, logs little notes about what I saw/experienced when finding a cache. It notes the cache code, date, time and whatever comments I put.

In order to log your find on Geocaching.com, you need to open the Notebook linked from your GPS, then find the relevant cache page via one of two methods:

1) http://www.geocaching.com/

On the second white box down (currently occupied by the code GCXXXX), and cut and paste the relevant cache code you've found which will bring up the right cache page.

OR

2) By the first white box which will have your co-ords in it, press "Go" and THEN press "with Google maps" so you have a visual impression of where you're talking about. Find the relevant cache icon and open that way.

Once you've got to the relevant cache page, look to the top right and press "Log your visit" and type in the appropriate info. It's possible to edit a log once you've submitted it if you think something's been missed out or you make a mistake, so don't worry about it - you'll soon get used to it.

Hope that's what you were seeking and I'm not barking up the wrong tree, but good luck!

:huh:

thanks for your input too Original A1

but i'm fairly certain that the oregon should be able to export field reports directly to my field report section in my profile, could be wrong tho! :rolleyes:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

ok it was somthing simple! my browser wont refresh the page when it goes back to field reports, so lots of manual refreshes from now on!

oh by the way everything was uploaded at least eight times for each log LOL

thanks to all who tried to help

;) ;) :D