web-phone cache, new format?

CB42

Is this format making precedent? Does it meet the "ever evolving format" statement for geocaching?

Each stage in this multi reveals a code word that is typed into a webpage. The site reveals the coordinates to the next stage & entertains you with "covert op" instructions while you are trekking.

Since a friend at home can plug in the codes for the next site, accessing the web on site is not required - but having a web-phone certainly makes it more fun. (any web-accessible phone will work, not just iphone)

Does anyone know of another caches where phones access info to get to the next stage? I'd like my reviewer to consider them, since the jury's been out over a week so far (and an earlier version archived)

thx

Sounds like a unique mystery cache to me. I would certainly be game to try it out, but I'm not sure if it would get published.

Who owns the site where you go to get the info from? If it's your website, is it dedicated soly to this task? If not, does the site offer for-pay services?

What I'm getting at is that the reviewers might be taking their time with this one because they could be worried about the "promotional" aspect.

Very similar idea to this one:

Tour de Nisene Teamwork Challenge

Although there is realistically only a couple of places in the densely forested park that you can get cell phone reception to accomplish the same idea that it sounds like you have. Nonetheless, I was able to call out at a handful of the Stages to get the coordinates for the next step. Not that it helped so much, since the Stages are seperated by some significant mileage and elevation gaines/losses that doing it as a single push is nigh impossible :P

GC19CX1 and GCM6GH are two caches I know of that work similarly to what you've described. At each waypoint you find a code that must be entered into a web page that then generally reveals a puzzle, and that puzzle's answer will be the coordinates to the next waypoint.

When I was searching for MIB CE5 (still have to go to the final, darnit), I often used my phone's browser to see where the next waypoint was. Sometimes, I just had to go home and work out the puzzle. Having to spread it over several caching sessions made it a lot of fun. The waypoints on these are spread miles apart, so it's not even really appropriate to try to knock it off in one day. I imagine most people took several days or weeks (or months in my case, lazy!) to do the whole thing.

This one is very doable in a couple of hours. I've done several dry runs - reception is excellent throughout. This one sounds easier than those mentioned, since there is no puzzle to solve - the coordinates are given straight away.

Thanks for the leads!

I personally carry a cell phone for safety reasons.

Interesting concept...sort of a 'poor man's' Wherigo.

My Treo was able to load your website, and played your video, so I guess I'm good to go in the field...HOWEVER:

My home computer kicks out a 404 when I try to visit the provided address (copied and pasted, no typo!), so the 'PAF' option may not work for everyone.

I'm not sure if a cell phone is considered 'Special Equipment', but the cache absolutely can't be done without one...so maybe it's actually a five-star difficulty for that reason alone?

Interesting concept...sort of a 'poor man's' Wherigo.

My Treo was able to load your website, and played your video, so I guess I'm good to go in the field...HOWEVER:

My home computer kicks out a 404 when I try to visit the provided address (copied and pasted, no typo!), so the 'PAF' option may not work for everyone.

I'm not sure if a cell phone is considered 'Special Equipment', but the cache absolutely can't be done without one...so maybe it's actually a five-star difficulty for that reason alone?

I also tried the site from my home computer, only to see this:

Error 404: NOT FOUND!

Your browser cannot find the document corresponding to the URL you typed in.