Caching with reading glasses

ras_oscar

I am "of an age" where reading glasses have become a necessity. I have a pair I purchased at Target that fit in a small box contaninier. Fits well in the cache bag but inevitably during the hunt they hang from my shirt collar and escape when I bend over. Ive donated about 6 pair now. Any ideas to keep the donations down?

I don't carry reading glasses since they would quickly be covered in mud from my hands and lost. What I use instead is a small magnifying glass with a built in light that I bought from Walgreens for $10. It's been quite handy, especially when reading the numbers off travel bugs. Since it is in my pack, I only remove it when I need it and I put it away when I'm done.

Carolyn

I am "of an age" where reading glasses have become a necessity. I have a pair I purchased at Target that fit in a small box contaninier. Fits well in the cache bag but inevitably during the hunt they hang from my shirt collar and escape when I bend over. Ive donated about 6 pair now. Any ideas to keep the donations down?

Have you thought of using an eyeglass chain or leash? I'm sort of guessing from your name that you're a man? If that's the case, I realize most eyeglass chains are rather "feminine" with pretty beads and stuff, but there are some plain chain ones, too. Amazon has several: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=sear...amp;x=0&y=0

I am "of an age" where reading glasses have become a necessity.

Aha ... That's typically the earliest sign that the gradual fossilization process has begun. :P

I suffered the same problem:.. My vision was excellent from arms-length out, but I didn't always have the option of looking at things from that far away. So I ended up constantly putting glasses on and taking them off, which worked OK until I put the glasses down and walked away. I tried several ways to conquer that problem which included saturating my home, car, and workplace with dozens of Rexall readers and using those skinny ones I could leave perched on my nose and look over when I didn't need them.

I eventually got a job which required that I wear safety glasses all day and the company even split the cost of an eye exam and prescription glasses, so off to the optometrist I went. I fully expected to get a pair of bifocals with a plano (non corrective) top and "reader" bottom. As it turned out, I didn't see as well at a distance as I thought I did and ended up with glasses with corrective lenses top and bottom.

Fast-forward to today: I still see pretty well from arm's-length out and still can't see close in, but I wear glasses I can put on in the morning and just leave them there all day. They have progressive, transition lenses so they're basically trifocal lenses with no lines which get dark in the sunlight so they double as sunglasses. I still use "readers" on occasion, like when sitting at a computer or working in extremely tight quarters. But my regular glasses actually work well in those situations too, although I have to look down my nose.

And BTW, go with Flexon frames or the equivalent (memory metal). You can sit on them or tie 'em in a knot and they spring back into shape. And get frames which fit right and you won't have to worry about them falling off. This all might sound expensive, but you can get a nice pair of glasses at Costco for a reasonable price and it's money well-spent.

Pete

Have you thought of using an eyeglass chain or leash? I'm sort of guessing from your name that you're a man? If that's the case, I realize most eyeglass chains are rather "feminine" with pretty beads and stuff, but there are some plain chain ones, too. Amazon has several: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=sear...amp;x=0&y=0

Yes, Ive had croakies in the past for my sunnies. Kept them in the car in the special overhead sunglasses compartment. Finally gave them to the kids, since the sunnies stay in the car and were no longer necessary. Would unfortunately be forced to give up on the case as they would then be too big to fit in. And I'm perfectly comfortable with my manhood to find a pair of croakies. Of course the kids would probably insist on walking 12 paces ion front to afford deniability if they say anyone they knew. On second thought that may be a side benefit... Now where are those hot pink croakies with the silver rhinestones... :P

Um.. Hah! Stop being vain, and wear bifocals all the time! It provides freedom: The ability to see at all times!

Having worn glasses since first grade, and bifocals since sixth grade, I am used to them.

After cataract surgery, I have gone from 20/1200 to 20/20, but only at four feet or more. The bifocal part works at two feet. I only need my glasses to read, or work at the computer. I wear them all the time! (Though it would probably take an eye test at DMV to get 'glasses required' removed from my license.)

Given my advanced stage in fosilization, I have two glasses' leashes. One for my readers. Second for my sunglasses. I also have my geobag hanging across my shoulder to hip. And, my geohat has a lanyard. I am the geoleashe queen. It is complicated (and sad) when they all get tangled up. Sigh. Getting old is not for the weak.

Give it up -- go the geek approach like I finally did:

iglass-clipLG.jpg

Hang 'em on your belt with pride. They have some that use loops instead of clips, too.

Edited by ecanderson

Try these:

12129.jpg

They fit snugly to the back of your head and if you happen to be leaning over a bridge to see if a magnetic key holder is stuck underneath (as I was doing today) you'll be able to watch your glasses float down the river instead of sinking to the bottom.

In the past year my eyesight has become worse on up-close objects. I can still read 12pt type across a room, though. First became apparent while out with the astronomy club - couldn't make out the tiny print on star charts.

I have used Croakies and have something like them on a pair of reading glasses I leave in my car. I'm about at the point I'm going to have to take reading glasses with me everywhere. The problem I have with these strings attached and around my neck is the get caught and tangled.

More annoying is taking of/put on/ repeat tangle tangle Argh!

I wish I could find some that I could carry and not have on a string. I usually only need once in a while. I'm wondering if I could come up with something I could just velcro to a patch on my jacket, in a spot which isn't in the way.

It's certainly becoming more food for thought.

I know exactly what you mean...my arms are no longer long enough for me to see clearly! I have cheap readers - many pairs at only $6 a pop...and as someone on another thread said, they are on "idiot string." My GPSr goes on first, sunglasses on top of my head if I want my readers on. When I pick up the GPSr - no tangles. Now..........how can I NOT get the idiot string tangled in the seat belt as it retracts when we arrive close to the cache site?

Um.. Hah! Stop being vain, and wear bifocals all the time!

Yeah, they work great...as long as you are not looking at something that is both 'close' and 'up'. :(

I never thought about turning them over until just now...I wonder how that would work?

Turning your bifcals over looks funny but it works fine. My mother used the technique. You've definitely got to let go of any vanity, though, and brace yourself for the teasing if you have a teen daughter around.

I use these from REI. I position them just beyond the earhooks, which makes the glasses very easy to put on and take off (since you don't have to lift the cord over the top of your ears). Downside is that the rubber eventually fatigues, and it begins to slip. Since there are actually 2 different pathways through the rubber, you can switch them and get more use from them. But about 5 months is the max. I toss them a put on a new pair. I buy 3 or 4 with a small part of my yearly REI dividend, so they're basically free, at least for me.

Um.. Hah! Stop being vain, and wear bifocals all the time!

Yeah, they work great...as long as you are not looking at something that is both 'close' and 'up'. ;)

I never thought about turning them over until just now...I wonder how that would work?

Before retiring from the optician trade... we often made 'inverted' bifocals... the near segment at the top of the frame... usually for techs of one sort or other where the close stuff is above the normal sightline...

You can get 'professional' lenses with a near segment both above and below the distance segment.

These could be trifocal as well, but that really takes up lens space not to mention expensive to boot.

For the ladies we also made 'makeup' glasses on which the left and right 'reading lenses' could hinge out of the way so that the other eye could guide the application of eye makeup... very important these.

There are of course 'half eye's ' single vision lenses in a frame that is vertically challenged... you simply look over the top for distance.

Whatever the choice, welcome to middle and better aged life...

Doug 7rxc