Reviewer isnt responding ?!

No it isnt active ....

Yeah but i am waiting for 4 days now .... so he could have answered during the week. When he has no time to do his job sb else should do it. My second cache i made meanwhile is active since 3 days just 2 Hours after i published it .... !!!

"His job" is what he does to pay the bills and probably has nothing to do with geocaching. Reviewing caches is a gift he gives to the geocaching community. The fact that one of your caches was published quickly means he saw no problems with it. The other one, he apparently needs to clear up some concerns. He might not be wasting time by telling you everything he is checking on. My advice is, step away from the keyboard and get outside for awhile.

No it isnt active ....

Yeah but i am waiting for 4 days now .... so he could have answered during the week. When he has no time to do his job sb else should do it. My second cache i made meanwhile is active since 3 days just 2 Hours after i published it .... !!!

If you unchecked the "Is Active" box, then he won't even see it to do anything with.

i didnt. uncheck anything ... the other cache was reviewed by another person ... thats the reason for being so fast. A mate of mine has the same reviewer in one of his caches and hast the same problem that nothing happens. I Placed the cache at the 10 th of august and today we have the 16 th ... six days waste of time !

Edited by RacheÄffchen

I bet if you hid a cache that wasn't 440 feet from its neighbor, it would be published by now. My German is not too good -- why did you not move the cache? If you made an argument for an exception, sometimes these take extra time for the reviewer to consider. Often when I am busy, I will favor publishing caches that don't have any guideline issues, and return to the more time-consuming reviews later on.

Your right with the 440 feet but i am only 40 feet to near by the next cache and that cach isnt aktive. The cache was removed by someone some time ago and wasnt replaced yet .... thats why i still didnt. move and i am waiting for answer how to react now ...

Is the cache disabled temporarily? Or archived? If the cache is merely disabled, you cannot place a new cache within the minimum distance. Perhaps this is the concern the reviewer has? I think patience is the key here.

The cache was removed by someone some time ago and wasnt replaced yet

The Reviewer might not be aware of this. If the Cache Owner of the nearby cache seems unresponsive to the Not Found/Needs Maintenance Log Entries, the next step would be to post a Should Be Archived(SBA) Log Entry. The SBA Log Entries alert the local Reviewer of the problem and the appropriate steps can be taken to Archive the nearby cache (which can take as long as 30 days in some instances). Until the nearby Listing is Archived I think you'll just have to be patient as everyone has pointed out.

Your right with the 440 feet but i am only 40 feet to near by the next cache and that cach isnt aktive. The cache was removed by someone some time ago and wasnt replaced yet .... thats why i still didnt. move and i am waiting for answer how to react now ...

The minimum separation is 528 feet so if your cache is only 440 feet from the nearest cache, you need to move 88 feet. That goes for inactive caches as well. All the other owner has to do is fix and enable his cache and then you have two caches too close together.

If the other cache has been removed and the owner is not going to replace it then it should be archived. Perhaps the reviewer is giving the other owner a few days to respond to an email request to confirm exactly that.

ok i will wait another week ... we will see

But are you going to do anything during that week? If you don't move your cache, and the other cache isn't archived, then don't expect things to magically change. There are guidlines to follow when hiding a cache, and if you don't follow the guidelines, you can't expect the reviewer to make an exception just for you and nobody else. Just move your cache about 90 feet, update the coordinates, and see what happens. Or do nothing, wait a week, then come back in here ranting about the reviewer not activating your cache.

After a first comment of a revier about 5 days ago i heard nothing from him. I already wrote a note and changed some thing .... what do i have to do ?

I would suggest you bring your cache location into compliance with the guidelines before you do anything else.

Once it is in compliance (check all the guidelines, not just the one the reviewer mentioned), drop your reviewer a note letting him that you have made the necessary corrections. Be sure to thank him (or her) for helping with your cache listing. Then, be patient. Just wait. If you haven't heard from the reviewer when you think you should have, continue to be patient. There are frequently approval issues in the background that cachers are not aware of. The reviewer may be seeking counsel from other reviewers, or seeking a portent from the frog deity. In any case, keep your communications between you and the reviewer. Posting your issues (real or imagined) in the forums probably won't expedite matters.

Lile i already said i changed the cache so it is out of range of another cache ... but no answer !

did you check the cache is active box when you submitted after you moved the cache? With out checking that box the listing will not appear in the review queue. Even though you checked when you submitted it the first time, it will become unchecked when the listing was rejected.

Jim

Edited by jholly

1. The new cache coordinates satisfy the Cache Saturation guideline. :mad:

2. I noticed that your cache is not on anyone's watchlist, nor is it on any bookmark lists. Your reviewer instructed you to respond with a note on the cache page, and that he would be notified automatically. He said NOT to send an e-mail. But, it looks like human error or system error because no notifications are being sent to your reviewer when you write your logs. The only way a reviewer can be notified is through the watchlist or a bookmark list. Therefore, I suggest that you send your reviewer an email message through his profile.

Hello,

we have some troubles with irresponsive reviewer too :(

1. 2011-04-29: New cache was enabled for review.

2. 2011-04-29: Reviewer posted a note, that Mystery cache does not comply guideline about distance between bogus coords and final coords (should be 2 miles max). Reviewer also asked for reply in form of reviewer note, NOT direct spam to his mailbox.

3. 2011-04-29: Owner posted a reviewer note with exception request (distance is 2.6 miles in this case) with reasoning (low-saturated mountainous location, bogus coords are very thematical and not randomly chosen).

4. 2011-05-10: As of today, cache is still without reviewer reaction.

Cache is active, enabled.

What's your suggestion? To wait? How long? Do we have any escalation options?

My caches were published by 6 different reviewers in the past, but reactions of this local reviewer are sometimes strange and unpredictable. Anyway, I value volunteer work very much and from obvious reasons I don't wish to appear on his "blacklist".

What to do?

Thank you.

Hello,

2. 2011-04-29: Reviewer posted a note, that Mystery cache does not comply guideline about distance between bogus coords and final coords (should be 2 miles max). Reviewer also asked for reply in form of reviewer note, NOT direct spam to his mailbox.

3. 2011-04-29: Owner posted a reviewer note with exception request (distance is 2.6 miles in this case) with reasoning (low-saturated mountainous location, bogus coords are very thematical and not randomly chosen).

My caches were published by 6 different reviewers in the past, but reactions of this local reviewer are sometimes strange and unpredictable. Anyway, I value volunteer work very much and from obvious reasons I don't wish to appear on his "blacklist".

What to do?

Thank you.

It is likely the reviewer has asked the opinion of fellow reviewers.

Send an email to the reviewer via the Geocaching form - include the GC number and any details you need to spark the reviewers memory.

If need be after that - use the contact@geocaching.com address.

However, I think it would be best to try and comply with the request. The saturation guidelines are tough enough for hidden caches without making bogus coordinates further away and confusing some locals.

Hello,

What to do?

Thank you.

I think reviewers have some discression about whether to grant an exception bu tanother option is to appeal it to Groundspeak Directly. Write to appeals@groundsepak.com or contact@Groundspeak.com to ask for a guideline variation.

Thsi will not necessarily result in a faster resolution and publication of your cache however. I know from expereince that asking for an appeal can be a lengthy process...

It hasn't been two weeks yet, wait until then and then e-mail the reviewer directly. You could also ask another local reviewer, one that you have gotten quick rpelies from before, to take a look at your cache and see if they know of any issues. There are also reviewers that frequent these boards and will sometimes go and look at stagnant listing and post what they see or give opinions on the listing here...

Good luck.

I think reviewers have some discression about whether to grant an exception bu tanother option is to appeal it to Groundspeak Directly. Write to appeals@groundsepak.com or contact@Groundspeak.com to ask for a guideline variation.

Thsi will not necessarily result in a faster resolution and publication of your cache however. I know from expereince that asking for an appeal can be a lengthy process...

It hasn't been two weeks yet, wait until then and then e-mail the reviewer directly. You could also ask another local reviewer, one that you have gotten quick rpelies from before, to take a look at your cache and see if they know of any issues. There are also reviewers that frequent these boards and will sometimes go and look at stagnant listing and post what they see or give opinions on the listing here...

Good luck.

Thank you for constructive suggestions.. let's hope for any response (yes/no) in coming week or two.

It is likely the reviewer has asked the opinion of fellow reviewers.

Send an email to the reviewer via the Geocaching form - include the GC number and any details you need to spark the reviewers memory.

If need be after that - use the contact@geocaching.com address.

However, I think it would be best to try and comply with the request. The saturation guidelines are tough enough for hidden caches without making bogus coordinates further away and confusing some locals.

Okay.. thank you for good advice. I wanted to know your views, thanks.

What's your suggestion?

I'd have to go re read the guidelines, but I thought the max distance was for 'otherwise non specified distances'. Lots of Unknown / Puzzle type caches have longer distances. Problem was thought to be that many people are not prepared to travel long distances to find them. Anyway, again I thought the 'fix' was to clearly state in the cache description that the cache was within X miles of the posted coordinates. This was to give clear and fair warning to all seekers. Also I don't remember seeing that there was any restriction upon any stages, at least of Multis. But things change and I have to go re read them... don't take this as gospel, but does fit my experience with puzzles.

I personally like the general application of the 2 mile 'rule', since it ruins a trip sometimes. But I don't mind, IF I know in advance what is in store. I think the whole Puzzle or Multi should normally fall within the 2 mile distance, unless clearly stated.

Doug 7rxc Good luck!

Hello,

So you dragged up a two year old thread to complain?

So many times people reply "do a search of the forums, it's been discussed before"....

but when someone does do a search, and finds a relevant thread to add to, folks complain about bumping an old thread up....

Darned if you do, darned if you don't. <_<

Or you could have just read them before posting? :rolleyes:

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. The posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the appropriate vicinity searches and keeps the mileage of Trackables that pass through the cache reasonably accurate.

You are correct that there isn't any limitation on the number of stages, nor does this guideline apply to multis. It only covers the distance between bogus posted coords and the actual cache location for puzzles. I agree that a well written multi cache will at least share the distance or time expectations up front, if not the number of stages involved.

What's your suggestion?

Hi Rikitan, if this were my cache, I would follow the path of least resistance, and change the posted coords so they would be within the aforementioned 2 mile limit. This might not seem very palatable, but it would solve your problem with a minimum of fuss. If your current posted coords are relevant to the puzzle, such as parking, or information necessary to solve the puzzle, you could include them as an additional waypoint.

Good luck!

-Sean

What's your suggestion?

Hi Rikitan, if this were my cache, I would follow the path of least resistance, and change the posted coords so they would be within the aforementioned 2 mile limit. This might not seem very palatable, but it would solve your problem with a minimum of fuss. If your current posted coords are relevant to the puzzle, such as parking, or information necessary to solve the puzzle, you could include them as an additional waypoint.

Good luck!

-Sean

Rikitan, you are a well seasoned cacher so you should know that all things related to this game are not always simple and easy. If your cache is as you have presented I would be hopeful you can get it approved. Work with your reviewer and be patient. Good luck!

Even in the circumstances that you outlined, granting exceptions to the proximity guidelines seems to be an extremely rare thing. Rare as in, almost never heard of. You listed multiple reasons for the exception, so yes... it does sound as though the reviewer may be discussing it with others. You may want to drop a polite note asking for confirmation that your last note was indeed received.

Or you could have just read them before posting? :rolleyes:

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. The posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the appropriate vicinity searches and keeps the mileage of Trackables that pass through the cache reasonably accurate.

You are correct that there isn't any limitation on the number of stages, nor does this guideline apply to multis. It only covers the distance between bogus posted coords and the actual cache location for puzzles. I agree that a well written multi cache will at least share the distance or time expectations up front, if not the number of stages involved.

Like I said, my memory isn't what it should be, perhaps... but I read a lot of documentation including legaleze... This is different in some wording to what I have read in the past, including explanations of what it means. As I said, I agree with it, but DO NOT mind if it is not strictly adhered to in some cases with sufficient notice to that effect. I just finished working one that has a span of almost 14 km between the posted and 2nd point, and I'd say the final was more than 6km... not too old either. Myself I might have called it a multi, but it is what it is. Many puzzles are multis and many multis are puzzles. Older caches may have been 'grandfathered' and newer ones may slip through the review, but as long as the seeker knows what is up, it is fine by me. I still see no limit on how many or how far a multi can drag you around the countryside. Even puzzles can do that as long as the final is close... although it may not be a proper typing. The bolded bit negates it being an absolute rule, as far as it is currently posted, thus my comment about telling people clearly if it isn't adhered to.

Thanks for your comments.

Edit: My example was sent to me as a puzzle... it is a hard puzzle in the form of a MULTI. I did not notice that... it is correctly typed. It does NOT specify any distances / time for seekers.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Hi Rikitan, if this were my cache, I would follow the path of least resistance...

Even in the circumstances that you outlined, granting exceptions to the proximity guidelines seems to be an extremely rare thing.

Rikitan, you are a well seasoned cacher so you should know that all things related to this game are not always simple and easy. If your cache is as you have presented I would be hopeful you can get it approved. Work with your reviewer and be patient. Good luck!

Hi Sean, Knowschad & Space Dog Walker,

thanks for stopping by this thread and sharing your advices.

It is the cache of my friend and I'm trying to help her to skate out from tied situation.

Guideline should be quite new (haven't heard about it till now), but I understand its rationale. However, it seems to me not as important as other guidelines (max saturation, legal requirements, etc.) and it is even formulated more like 'best practice', not like a strict rule to follow.

"Max 2 miles, not an inch more" :huh:

As I said, my friend has good reasons to stick question-mark icon exactly 2.6 miles from final and does not want to step back so far :unsure:

OK, let's wait, reviewer is most likely browsing forums to figure out same answers. Anyhow, he could at least let owner know it's gonna take time to decide :sad:

cheers,

Rikitan

Even in the circumstances that you outlined, granting exceptions to the proximity guidelines seems to be an extremely rare thing. Rare as in, almost never heard of.

I completely disagree.

I have a puzzle cache that is three miles from the listed coords. I explained to the reviewer in a reviewers note why I wanted it that way when I relaeased the cache and was granted the exception wiht no questions asked.

There was recently a traditional cache published within the 528ft minimum of another mystery that I own. When I wrote to the releasing reviewr to complain that they had released a cache within the proximity restirctions of one of my cahces they (politelty) reminded me that they had alos relaeased another one of my caches (a multi this time) whose final waypont was also witin the minimum...

So I have 3 personal expereiences with reviewers ignoring proximity guidelines which represent about 7% of my hides. Not a terribly high percentage but not "almost never heard of" either...

I think if you explain to reviewer why, and are patient in recieving a response, then I think they are for the most part willing to work with you as long as it is an exception and not the norm...