Most caches found in 24 hours - data only

There is a network of 100+ miles of dirt roads east of Old Town, Maine that is set up for a numbers runs. I did it and it was a lot of fun. It isn't uncommon for cachers to do 130 to 157 in 10 hours of caching in that area. If you extrapolate that to 24 hours that would be about 377 caches. If caches can be found at that rate mainly on dirt roads in rural Maine, I could see 405 elsewhere.

Edited by rjb43nh

We've been doing this "geocaching" thing for almost 10 years now.

That's gotta be a World Record. :D

Anyways, I was wondering who holds the World Record for

"The most Geocaches found in 24 hours".

If you know a record higher than the one listed here, just list it.

Thanks

Please don't debate or drag this thread down with discussions about why or why not.

Please don't debate anything else here either.

Keep it simple, please.

406 finds in 24 hours - dndsterns, chefstern, coloradoOB on May 9, 2009

OK, so a few people felt the need to discuss the topic.....lol

I don't see any further "World Records for 24 hours of geocaching" higher than the 406 finds made by dndsterns, chefstern, and coloradoOB on May 9th, 2009. Therefore I must conclude they are the World Record Holders at this time.

=========================================

Here are a quick copy and paste of a couple of their logs from the historic World Record Speedcaching Run.

----------------------------------------------------------------

May 9 by dndsterns (2808 found)

406 finds in one day - yes 406. That is an average of 1 cache every three and a half minutes. I made this journey with chefstern and ColoradoOB. Lets just say that this was one crazy journey. I started my Friday by getting up early and working on a remodel project all day. No time for naps or sleep of any sort. Then the race was on to see how fast a crew cab truck could go? Good thing OB has his truck sooped up because we worked it hard. Tires were squealing and clounds of black smoke were rolling. As fast as we were coming to a stop and taking off again would make anybody sick. We passed up 60 some caches on our rounds that I had allready found or our number could have been higher. Still made 406. Thanks for placing this cache to make all of this possible. TTFN

[view this log]

May 9 by chefstern (3151 found)

Doug and I have been talking about trying a 24 hour caching day for two years now. After a few different series type caches were set up on the outskirts of Denver the idea began to evolve. I teamed up with ColoradoOB and Dndsterns for the epic day. The Adventure began in Kiowa at midnight. We arrived early and did a few last minute checks. We settled in to wait the last 17 minutes before finding the first cache. OB said “this will be the longest 17 minutes of the next 24 hours” and he was correct. We must have been one crazy sight if any one was watching. Doug was driving on the dirt roads like we were in a rally race and we were sprinting from the truck to each cache. I have to admit I got a little car sick around 6:30 AM. Doug and OB were laughing at me while I was barfing over a guard rail. But the chase was still on so they said “hurry up we don’t want to get behind on our cache count this hour”. The day had its ups and downs. During the daylight I enjoyed miles of scenic views and of course cache after cache. While it was dark I really had to concentrate on being prepared to jump out and seek the caches. We only took one official break for 8 minutes while the truck was getting some diesel. Doug grabbed hamburgers which were difficult for me to swallow with my stomach still feeling a bit queasy. By 10:00 PM it started to rain and it felt very cold to me. If I was alone I would have been very tempted to call it a night. But the team kept me in check and we pushed on. We signed the last log at 11:59 with a high five the day was over. We ended up with 406 finds. The only problem then was that we were still over 1.5 hours from home. After being awake for over 44+ hours I was in no shape to drive. Fortunately for me Doug and OB pressed on. I made it to bed at 2:00 AM. I am very glad I was able to try this at least once.

[view this log]

May 9 by ColoradoOB (1677 found)

So today was the day to see how many caches we could grab in one day. The adventure begins at 12:00am, 9 May 09 and ends at 11:59pm, 9 May 09. Chefstern, myself and dndsterns had a number in mind and we reached our goal. There were a few other caches that I could have grabbed, but then I would have exceeded the team number at the end. DNDSTERNS owes me a drive back into the area so I can find the few I had to leave behind. Our statistics for the day, 700 additional miles on my Duramax, no sleep for 44hrs, seeing the affects of beign a cachaholic from Chefstern and all for 406 smiley faces and 7 DNFs. All-in-all a great 24hrs of caching with two other great caching buds, priceless!

Congratulations !!! :D:D:D:(:D

While I am extremely impressed and have zero doubt about the credibility of those three astounding cachers, I must say that I cannot understand how it is physically possible to find over 400 caches, at least 528 feet apart, in less than 24 hours.

406 caches / 24 hours = 16.9 caches per hour

60 minutes / 16.9 caches = 1 cache every 3.5 minutes

3.5 mph = 0.05 miles per minute, right? So, at 0.1 miles between caches, it would have taken 2 minutes to get from cache to cache (on the average). That gives 1 1/2 minutes to find the cache, retrieve the log from the container, sign the log, replace the log, replace the cache, and get back onto the trail. Two minutes to the next cache and repeat.

And continue this for 24 hours or less. I hope their cell walls are well padded and that they can have visitors at least once a week.

I think the conversation pretty much was killed by the OP. "Please don't debate or drag this thread down with discussions about why or why not.

Please don't debate anything else here either. "

Thus, I'll bid "4.096" since we don't need any discussion, facts, definitions, or debates.

(don't you hate it when that happens to a thread?)

There has been a new record set....

413 geocaches found in one day.

So, if my arithmetic above is correct, this is less than 3.5 minutes per cache. How can that physically be done? I'm not questioning that it can be done... just wondering how?

(This does not include "pre-finding", either, I hope. 'Cause if that's allowed, then "pre-signing" will be the next thing allowed )

So, if my arithmetic above is correct, this is less than 3.5 minutes per cache. How can that physically be done? I'm not questioning that it can be done... just wondering how?

(This does not include "pre-finding", either, I hope. 'Cause if that's allowed, then "pre-signing" will be the next thing allowed )

You're just feeding the monster. Don't do it.

Put a shirt on. :D

B)

Thanks !

I'll have to write up a story and start a new thread.... I'll try to get one started this weekend.

Suffice it to say.... We went very fast. We even had 24 DNF's along the way, so be sure to add that into the math. Our best hour was 27 finds. Our worst hour was 12 finds.

We figured that the previous record holders may have cheated their way into the record books. We didn't believe it was possible either. But as dark approached, we already were on our way to the new record of 413 finds in 24 hours.

Team members : EMC of Northridge, F0T0M0M, Ventura Kids

This is totally idiotic and irreponsible. The sound of squealing tires,smoke belching,driving like a rally car. If I ever ran across you on one of these trips,you'll need to sell all your stuff to hire a lawyer. Just the thought of this is wrong on so many levels.When did this become a game of numbers? how the heck was it any fun?

Things like this will ruin the game as it leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth.

I could go on and on about just how stupid this was,but you probably don't care.

Excessive speed

unsafe start from a parked position

Public endangerment,yeah,that's a record to be proud of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is totally idiotic and irreponsible. The sound of squealing tires,smoke belching,driving like a rally car. If I ever ran across you on one of these trips,you'll need to sell all your stuff to hire a lawyer. Just the thought of this is wrong on so many levels.When did this become a game of numbers? how the heck was it any fun?

Things like this will ruin the game as it leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth.

I could go on and on about just how stupid this was,but you probably don't care.

Excessive speed

unsafe start from a parked position

Public endangerment,yeah,that's a record to be proud of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh?!? :D

First, you've only been at this for a month... let's not start making proclaimations yet about how the game should be played, and especially what they should find fun. Their's is not how I want to play my game of geocaching, either, but I am still impressed by their accomplishment. Geeze... back off a little, OK?

Put a shirt on. :D

B)

No. B)

Edited by Team Cotati
Our best hour was 27 finds

2.22 minutes per find? :D

My mind is appropriately boggled.

I did that once on a cache rich road ..i hurried to see how far apart, they were all on mileage markers. So 1 mile = 1+min , jump out and sign then move on. Not hard. Now I think if someone had put 8-9 caches between them. It really would have been a number run, and would have been faster.

Thanks !

I'll have to write up a story and start a new thread.... I'll try to get one started this weekend.

Suffice it to say.... We went very fast. We even had 24 DNF's along the way, so be sure to add that into the math. Our best hour was 27 finds. Our worst hour was 12 finds.

We figured that the previous record holders may have cheated their way into the record books. We didn't believe it was possible either. But as dark approached, we already were on our way to the new record of 413 finds in 24 hours.

Hey guys Congrats, but inquiring minds have to know did someone have their cell phone with her :DB)B):D:D:blink::huh::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

2.22 minutes per find? :P

I did that once on a cache rich road ..i hurried to see how far apart, they were all on mileage markers. So 1 mile = 1+min , jump out and sign then move on. Not hard. Now I think if someone had put 8-9 caches between them. It really would have been a number run, and would have been faster.

That's some pretty quick accelleration and wickedly fast braking!

Thanks !

Hey guys Congrats, but inquiring minds have to know did someone have their cell phone with her :PB):D;):blink::ph34r:;):)B):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like somebody may know somebody B):P

If. The biggest word in the English language.

I didn't even mean to reply to this! How'd that happen? B) But I might as well comment now. You would think the Power Trail clause would take care of the "if" in that situation. Not that it doesn't sound like a power trail already as described.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I didn't even mean to reply to this! How'd that happen? B) But I might as well comment now. You would think the Power Trail clause would take care of the "if" in that situation. Not that it doesn't sound like a power trail already as described.
One cache every mile is not a power trail.

I didn't even mean to reply to this! How'd that happen? :D But I might as well comment now. You would think the Power Trail clause would take care of the "if" in that situation. Not that it doesn't sound like a power trail already as described.
One cache every mile is not a power trail.

Hey, I said I didn't even mean to respond. B) You're right, I totally misread that. Still, there outta be a law against placing micros on mileage marker signs every mile along a road.

Hey, I said I didn't even mean to respond. :P You're right, I totally misread that. Still, there outta be a law against placing micros on mileage marker signs every mile along a road.

There might be. But out in the desert with no one living down the road, and police paroling other places kinda puts it a low priority. There is actually an ammo can sitting by one. Just sitting there, and its been there for years. It would be gone in an instant anywhere else.

Hey, I said I didn't even mean to respond. :P You're right, I totally misread that. Still, there outta be a law against placing micros on mileage marker signs every mile along a road.

There might be. But out in the desert with no one living down the road, and police paroling other places kinda puts it a low priority. There is actually an ammo can sitting by one. Just sitting there, and its been there for years. It would be gone in an instant anywhere else.

Oh, don't mind me, I was just kidding. Most times my humor goes over like a lead balloon. I don't mean to hijack the thread here. Congrats to Ventura kids and the crew for the 400+ finds.

I completely do not believe anyone, or team, can legitimately find that many in a day.
Define "legitimately".

FWIW, here's the definition one numbers run team used:

http://www.powercaching24h.com/

From that page :

The intention of this site is to try to set up some guidelines for performing a 24 hour power cache run.

These are the suggested guidelines:

1. The cache is logged for the whole team in the logbook.

2. It is only allowed to search for one cache at a time.

3. Not every member of the team needs to be present at the cache.

4. The planned trip will be tested before the record run to locate parking areas, entrances to parks, places to shop for food and toilets. No caches will be located in advance.

5. It is possible to have a car following to get supplies. They are not allowed to help in the search.

6. Obviously, all traffic laws will be obeyed.

7. The record run is performed in 24 running hours – no time-outs!

How do #1 and #3 jive ? How can the whole team log the cache if they are not all necessarily present at the cache ?

In my mind, no matter how big the team is, ALL members should have to sign the logbook before moving on to the next cache.

More power to you power cachers out there. I know I would get exactly zero enjoyment out of it, but that's the beauty of this hobby, everyone is free to play by their own rules.

It is funny to read the threads of people complaining about all of the roadside caches and LPCs and then read threads about power caching, which would be no where near possible without all those lame guardrail and roadside caches.

I completely do not believe anyone, or team, can legitimately find that many in a day.
Define "legitimately".

From that page :

The intention of this site is to try to set up some guidelines for performing a 24 hour power cache run.

4. The planned trip will be tested before the record run to locate parking areas, entrances to parks, places to shop for food and toilets. No caches will be located in advance.

5. It is possible to have a car following to get supplies. They are not allowed to help in the search.

How do #1 and #3 jive ? How can the whole team log the cache if they are not all necessarily present at the cache ?

In my mind, no matter how big the team is, ALL members should have to sign the logbook before moving on to the next cache.

More power to you power cachers out there. I know I would get exactly zero enjoyment out of it, but that's the beauty of this hobby, everyone is free to play by their own rules.

It is funny to read the threads of people complaining about all of the roadside caches and LPCs and then read threads about power caching, which would be no where near possible without all those lame guardrail and roadside caches.

We certainly do NOT agree with those rules.

We do not Pre-run the route......that is cheating.

We do not bring an additional vehicle to help out with supplies....that is cheating.

We do not pick any 24 hour time period and call it a day....that would be cheating.

We went out of our way to keep this record "clean".

Thanks for the congratulations ! :P

From that page :[...]

1. The cache is logged for the whole team in the logbook.[...]

3. Not every member of the team needs to be present at the cache.[...]

IANAPC (I Am Not A Power Cacher), but my understanding is that #1 means that someone will sign "Team XYZ", rather than signing every team member's handle. I don't have a problem with this. I know families that sign micros with a family "team" name, rather than filling up the log with each family member's handle. I know cachers who sign nano logs with initials, rather than filling up the log with their full handle.

Again, IANAPC, but my understanding is that #3 means that the team will spread out and whoever finds the cache calls out to let everyone know, and then that person signs and replaces the cache, while everyone else records the find in the team's records, sets their GPSrs to find the next cache, gets back in the vehicle, etc.

Define "legitimately".

From that page :

We certainly do NOT agree with those rules.

We do not Pre-run the route......that is cheating.

We do not bring an additional vehicle to help out with supplies....that is cheating.

We do not pick any 24 hour time period and call it a day....that would be cheating.

We went out of our way to keep this record "clean".

Thanks for the congratulations ! :laughing:

Man, who the heck made that website? And purchased a domain name even? They might as well have just added 8. All caches will be signed DRR on the outside of a container with a sharpie. :anibad: I know there are a lot of new people around, but that really did happen once.

Mistakes have been made in the past (bad mistakes), so I have no reason to doubt the legitimacy of this feat. I think the only questions that the most hardcore of Puritans would come up with was how were these logbooks signed? Was a sticker used? Was a temporary one day team name invented, and scribbled in the logs? Was the log passed around to each member? Isn't "EMC of Northridge Ca." an excessively long username to write in logbooks? (record run or not) :anitongue:

Yes this is possible.

I too have made the a dash at the DIA caches. No they are not exquisite hides with a meaningful hike...

As for the statement of the MadScottsman I need to clear one thing up. Caching at DIA is nothing like caching on vancouver Island, yes I have done both... vancouver island is AMAZING and the cache hides are great! All of the DIA hides have a re-occurring theme - Close to survey markers, gas pipe line markers, fiber-optic marker posts or the lone telephone pole or power line pole. Yes some are even visible from the car! So little impact is made as you step out of the car and reach behind a pole on the side of the road. take a look at street view in google maps, you will see what I mean.

But I validate the claim of the OP as I have seen their logs on many cache log sheets in the DIA area.

So our day of caching was...

3 adults

4 kids 8 - 12yrs old

4 GPS's

One SUV

8 caching hours

NO pre-finds

2 large bags of candy

Pile o'snacks

Water - lots of water

1.5 hr break for lunch at a diner

AND 102 finds!!!

So nowhere close the OP's record but our goal was 100 in a day and we made it, with a lot of smiles and before dark.

So no this is not a series of complex caches it is a power trail fest done for one reason - because they are there!

Still curious take a look at GC1J3CH this is in the middle of a power trail and most logs show the marks of marathon cache days.

It will be a while before I do this again.

What I would suggest is that they could have done this three ways: 1. Preplan the trip, trying to see which caches would be easiest using a trip planner based on closest/easiest caches to get to in the shortest amount of time. 2. Have one person sign the logs as long as every cacher whose name is being signed is there. That way they could sign it if they wanted to, and the CO wouldn't be able to complain very miuch because they were sitting in the car five feet away from the signer. 3. Do like you said, up above my entry, but put a couple cans of gasoline in the car before this would happen or sometime during the time that this would happen. You could actually have one cacher buy the gas or pour fresh gas into the car if you are not near a gas station while the others found a cache/ate lunch etc.

In any or all the examples this could work, because when you needed gas or food, you or someone else could eat while the others searched. THere is no rule saying that every cacher who has their name on a certain log needs to have participated in finding it. THat would make it so that they(or anyone else, for that matter), could eat/fill the car with gas again, search for the next cache on their GPS, enter a found it log on the cache, go to the bathroom, etc. while someone(s) else made the find. You could have any number of people doing that, while any number of people could make the find, depending on the area they had they had to serach in, etc. This could also happen with puzzles/multi's. Someone could go then and go to each waypoint, and then to the final while someone else figured out a puzzle, and did all the hard work, leaving only the final to be found. They could do this beforehand, doing everything except for finding the final, call up their buddies, and have them meet them there, or do everything except the final and then go there together. As long as everyone whose name is on the log(except in the case of large parties of people you would sign a basic name " " and co.)is there sitting there feet away from the signer, I don't think it would be a problem. If I am wrong however, I am sorry. Anyway, that is how I would do it.

The funny thing is, is that you don't actually have to start the 24 hours until you get to the location of the cache/first stage of the cache. That is possible. It would allow you a small cheating space like that, because who wants to start their 24 hours when they leave leave home? Why not start it when you to the location of the cache(if it is traditional or just a one stage puzzle with fake coord's or something like that) or at the first stage of a multi or puzzle/multi. That would work a lot better. I would use all three choices if it were me for maximum chances of getting a challenge cache done or something like that. We do have a couple of cachers who do like to do weird challenge caches like 100 caches in a day or 100 stars in aday. 100 stars is just the accumulated stars in both the diff and terrain in each cache. That means that you could find 50 1/1's or 10 5/5's or anywhere in between as long as they added up to 100 stars. But the challenge fo that one is, 100 stars in a day. And the nice thing is, usually the requirements can be used in conjunction with another challenge which means get two challenges or more in one day! How does that sound? Yep, it sounds pretty darn good. Thanks, those are my comments. Have a great day. gwf :laughing::anitongue::anibad::laughing:

First off, there is no record. There is no record because there is no record keeper.

Oh you might encounter a few self-appointed record keepers but we all know that that doesn't matter.

And further, even if there were an official like type record keeper, there would need to be about 75 different qualifiers for every flavor of these claimed records that do not exist because there is no official record keeper.

And that would only cover the 24hr. record category that doesn't exist because there is no official record keeper....record.

Hope that that helps. :anibad:

First off, there is no record. There is no record because there is no record keeper.

Oh you might encounter a few self-appointed record keepers but we all know that that doesn't matter.

And further, even if there were an official like type record keeper, there would need to be about 75 different qualifiers for every flavor of these claimed records that do not exist because there is no official record keeper.

And that would only cover the 24hr. record category that doesn't exist because there is no official record keeper....record.

Hope that that helps. :anibad:

This is true. There is no "official" contest, no particular set of agreed-upon rules, no sanctioning body... just cachers out having fun.

But, they are cachers out having fun who have found more caches in 24 hours than any other cachers.

Accept it as a record? Yeah, I do!

Thanks

January 2, 2010 I made a new record. 504 geocaches in 24 hours.

I made it with the geocachers Elverhøj, Camfrea and Mafrea.

According to the rules one person wrote the geonames for all of us (not a teamname). We started the search for the next cache when the cache was replaced.

The record was made with 249 caches in Sweden and 255 caches in Denmark.

My profile can be watched at http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e9...75-aefd7091e037

When I'm writing this I'm not finished with the logging at the internet.

I did 16 yesterday (on a solo outing) in about 5 hours but involved nearly 100 miles of driving. There really isn't anyway do get that many as I have to drive at least 20 miles from home to find more than a handful of caches in one outing.

We have a similar situation here. One day last week was on the road 15 hours, drove 346 miles, and got 55 caches. Those were scattered out over numerous counties in Alabama.

I did 16 yesterday (on a solo outing) in about 5 hours but involved nearly 100 miles of driving. There really isn't anyway do get that many as I have to drive at least 20 miles from home to find more than a handful of caches in one outing.

We have a similar situation here. One day last week was on the road 15 hours, drove 346 miles, and got 55 caches. Those were scattered out over numerous counties in Alabama.

This record has been debated so many times...

I don't know what draws people to this debate, but people seem to love it.

It kind of hooks up with the "cheating" debates that go on.

It is hard to know what is cheating when there are so few rules. Harder yet to know why anyone cares how others play their game. The point is to have fun, and I guess people have fun different ways.

Let's just have fun.

The numbers debate is a funny one too.

"It's not about the numbers" shout the purists.

The thing about the numbers, is that it's good to see how far I've come, what I've accomplished. The numbers make this easier.

The only person I'm in competition with is myself.

Well, other than my ex-boyfriend. I do have to cream his numbers. But that's another issue altogether.

Thanks

According to the rules one person wrote the geonames for all of us (not a teamname). We started the search for the next cache when the cache was replaced.

My profile can be watched at http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e9...75-aefd7091e037

Congratulations

Define "legitimately".

<snip>

Define "present at".

In my area, at any rate, when caching with two or more people, we do NOT pass the logbook around for every individual to sign, and I seriously doubt that is commonly done in your area, either. One person signs for all. That is not powercacheing... that is nothing more than friendcaching.

Congratulations. Since you're claiming a new record I'd be interested in hearing some more details about what rules you set for yourself. Were all 4 of you looking for every cache? Had any of you found the caches before and provided clues to the others? When did you start and when did you finish? How did you track the caches that you found/didn't find?

By my calculations you had 2 minutes and 51 seconds per cache including driving. That's quite a feat.

It looks like there are almost 200 caches in 2 power trails alone. What were the other 300 caches like?

kAZf6.gif

These guys all had their clocks cleaned thsi last week in when teams were finding in excess of 500 caches per 10 to 12 hour days. HAHAHAHA go play your whimpy caching game you bunch of gunny bears, Nevada has real cachers, mmmmMmmM

cheers