Most caches found in 24 hours - data only

We've been doing this "geocaching" thing for almost 10 years now.

That's gotta be a World Record. :laughing:

Anyways, I was wondering who holds the World Record for

"The most Geocaches found in 24 hours".

If you know a record higher than the one listed here, just list it.

Thanks

Please don't debate or drag this thread down with discussions about why or why not.

Please don't debate anything else here either.

Keep it simple, please.

406 finds in 24 hours - dndsterns, chefstern, coloradoOB on May 9, 2009

I imagine some of that stuff happens though when logging finds and you haven't had a lot of time to do so, and you're in a hurry, and you forget to change the date on your logs to the actual day you did something, so you log multiple days at one time under the guise of one day.

But if that's an ACTUAL record, then I must ask:

WHAT THE HOLY MOTHER OF CRAP??? HOW IN THE NAME OF PAUL BUNYAN IS THAT EVEN FRIGGING POSSIBLE???

were they physical caches? that's insane. have to be all traditionals. could you even sign a log that many times in a day? it would involve no looking.

Let's say you actually planned to do a 24 hour cache and rested up for it.

Well that's 16.9 caches an hour. That's 3.55 minutes per cache. With the time it takes to sign the log, that's 2.55 minutes for driving and finding. I just don't see how that's possible, even doing a 24 hour caching trip. It generally takes me 3 minutes to drive from cache to cache, and that's JUST driving. Finding takes anywhere from between 30 seconds to 3 minutes usually, on average, with usually a 5 second find on an LPC.

How is that even a possible day?

I imagine some of that stuff happens though when logging finds and you haven't had a lot of time to do so, and you're in a hurry, and you forget to change the date on your logs to the actual day you did something, so you log multiple days at one time under the guise of one day.

WHAT THE HOLY MOTHER OF CRAP??? HOW IN THE NAME OF PAUL BUNYAN IS THAT EVEN FRIGGING POSSIBLE???

were they physical caches? that's insane. have to be all traditionals. could you even sign a log that many times in a day? it would involve no looking.

Well that's 16.9 caches an hour. That's 3.55 minutes per cache. With the time it takes to sign the log, that's 2.55 minutes for driving and finding. I just don't see how that's possible, even doing a 24 hour caching trip. It generally takes me 3 minutes to drive from cache to cache, and that's JUST driving. Finding takes anywhere from between 30 seconds to 3 minutes usually, on average, with usually a 5 second find on an LPC.

I Think they do it as a team, so there's always someone on the way to the next cache, or something like that. Kinda cheaty to me, but what do I care, there's no score, people can claim whatever they want, I just play for my own enjoyment.

Haha I was reading this topic and was thinking about the area near DIA in Denver.... I looked at the logs of a random cache and sure enough, those cachers breezed through there on may 9th! C/P log from their trip... That's a TON of caches but in that area, there are a lot of caches essentially set up for a numbers run... mile after mile of them.

I'm with you. The math doesn't add up. I don't care how you slice it.

I could barely LOG that many finds in a day. No way I could see that as finding that many in 24 hours.

I think it's possible as a unified team (read: not splitting up and pooling finds) provided the team plans the run to a tee ahead of time, researches each cache and spends only a specific slotted amount of time at each (irregardless of whether or not they find it). If one person is driving, the other following the GPS and the third/fourth reading up on the cache and/or checking the terrain digitally before they arrive.. it's a stretch.

If a team managed to cache 24 hours straight, it would take 4.8 minutes per cache for 300 caches *INCLUDING TRANSIT TIME*. Not likely unless teams split up (or unless Im not factoring something).

Edited by TetrAmigos

I think it's possible as a unified team (read: not splitting up and pooling finds) provided the team plans the run to a tee ahead of time, researches each cache and spends only a specific slotted amount of time at each (irregardless of whether or not they find it). If one person is driving, the other following the GPS and the third/fourth reading up on the cache and/or checking the terrain digitally before they arrive.. it's a stretch.

If a team managed to cache 24 hours straight, it would take 4.8 minutes per cache for 300 caches *INCLUDING TRANSIT TIME*. Not likely unless teams split up (or unless Im not factoring something).

Yes but the OP claims 409 finds in that time which completely sidelines the fact that the minimum distance of travel would be 40 miles.

Thats a LOT of caching, folks.

:laughing:

There is no recognized authority that has set down any rules for marathon team caching. I'm familiar with one so-called record, which had an amazing 24hr total. I later found out it wasn't quite so amazing, as the team "pre-found" most of the caches in the days prior to the run. Basically, they ran it a few times, working on the fastest route, and found the containers, but didn't open or sign. So, by their definition, they hadn't "found" the cache yet. On the day of the run, they knew where every cache was before getting out of the vehicle. It was basically nothing more than an exercise in driving.

So, any "record" is really meaningless, unless there's a consensus on what's allowed, and what isn't.

I'm with you. The math doesn't add up. I don't care how you slice it.

I could barely LOG that many finds in a day. No way I could see that as finding that many in 24 hours.

Maybe they didn't sign logs. Maybe they signed the outside of the cache. But the guy up above talking about "pre-finds" seems to be dead on to me. That sounds like a way it could be possible.

The OP requested not to debate or drag the discussions out, but it's hard to discuss this topic without understanding what rules are being followed. Is it one person doing all the finding? A team? Does the team split up? Do they prefind? Do they sign the caches in sharpie so they don't have to open the cache?

That's gotta be a World Record. :anicute:

Thanks

Please don't debate or drag this thread down with discussions about why or why not.

Keep it simple, please.

OK, I give up. Debate away. :laughing:

The rules followed are:

One vehicle with no more than 8 cachers.

All cachers must be at each cache.

No splitting up.

The log sheet must be signed in each cache.

The run must be done in one day.

Yes this is possible.

I too have made the a dash at the DIA caches. No they are not exquisite hides with a meaningful hike...

As for the statement of the MadScottsman I need to clear one thing up. Caching at DIA is nothing like caching on vancouver Island, yes I have done both... vancouver island is AMAZING and the cache hides are great! All of the DIA hides have a re-occurring theme - Close to survey markers, gas pipe line markers, fiber-optic marker posts or the lone telephone pole or power line pole. Yes some are even visible from the car! So little impact is made as you step out of the car and reach behind a pole on the side of the road. take a look at street view in google maps, you will see what I mean.

But I validate the claim of the OP as I have seen their logs on many cache log sheets in the DIA area.

So our day of caching was...

3 adults

4 kids 8 - 12yrs old

4 GPS's

One SUV

8 caching hours

NO pre-finds

2 large bags of candy

Pile o'snacks

Water - lots of water

1.5 hr break for lunch at a diner

AND 102 finds!!!

So nowhere close the OP's record but our goal was 100 in a day and we made it, with a lot of smiles and before dark.

So no this is not a series of complex caches it is a power trail fest done for one reason - because they are there!

Still curious take a look at GC1J3CH this is in the middle of a power trail and most logs show the marks of marathon cache days.

It will be a while before I do this again.

Last November I found 103 caches in just under 5 hours...the secret is to find a driver that has already found them, they drive and tell you to jump out at X spot, sign the log, and get back in while the car is still rolling. Granted you have to be in a cache rich environment to make that happen. (sorta like cheating, but it was a dadgum fun day)

I have also been caching on a team run where we had a driver, a navigator, a "goto" man, and lots of research beforehand...

I do believe it would be possible to grab numbers like these under the right circumstances..

*sigh* I am jealous of the 400+ finds in 24 hours.

LOL site edited my d a m n into dadgum?? My new favorite word... dadgum

Edited by busterbabes

Last November I found 103 caches in just under 5 hours...the secret is to find a driver that has already found them, they drive and tell you to jump out at X spot, sign the log, and get back in while the car is still rolling. Granted you have to be in a cache rich environment to make that happen. (sorta like cheating, but it was a dadgum fun day)

I have also been caching on a team run where we had a driver, a navigator, a "goto" man, and lots of research beforehand...

I do believe it would be possible to grab numbers like these under the right circumstances..

*sigh* I am jealous of the 400+ finds in 24 hours.

LOL site edited my d a m n into dadgum?? My new favorite word... dadgum

At that rate you could'a found 494 in 24 hours. :laughing:

That's gotta be a World Record. :laughing:

Thanks

Keep it simple, please.

well I guess you have NOT updated your GSAK program for awhile since that shows the best 24 HR total you have had is 143

Scubasonic

OK, I give up. Debate away. mad.gif

The rules followed are:

No splitting up.

What about a rule that none of the people in the group may have found any of the caches before?

Here's the most legitimate record attempt I've heard of

315 by a group of Danish cachers

The group set a pretty reasonable set of conditions for themselves.

I have no issue with the driver having found the caches previously. After all, with those huge numbers, it's somewhat unlikely that he would have time to park the car, get out, and help find the caches. Therefore, he shouldn't be an actual part of the 'finding' team. Also, in order for a team to rack up such huge numbers, the area would need a ton of caches that the team hasn't found. This pretty much means that it would have to be a visiting team. Having a driver who is a local is important for safety, in my opinion.

I have no issue with the driver having found the caches previously. After all, with those huge numbers, it's somewhat unlikely that he would have time to park the car, get out, and help find the caches. Therefore, he shouldn't be an actual part of the 'finding' team. Also, in order for a team to rack up such huge numbers, the area would need a ton of caches that the team hasn't found. This pretty much means that it would have to be a visiting team. Having a driver who is a local is important for safety, in my opinion.

Perhaps....

But I know selecting the correct street, and the best parking spot, will affect the time greatly. As a local driver, who already found the caches, I would know whether the cache along the fenceline can be grabbed from one side or the other. This should be part of 'finding' the cache.

I dunno... having someone say "Yeah, it's a pill bottle over there at the end of the guardrail" kind seems a little like cheating to me. If that's what happening, that is.

I dunno... having someone say "Yeah, it's a pill bottle over there at the end of the guardrail" kind seems a little like cheating to me. If that's what happening, that is.

Just because the guy's found it before, doesn't mean that he is giving spoilers.

Just because the guy's found it before, doesn't mean that he is giving spoilers.

And the fact that he's pulled up to that particular spot of the guardrail wouldn't mean anything, right?

The only number that would mean anything to me is a solo run. One person, who is the driver, never having found or scoped out the finds before.

That's how I've found over 95% of the caches I have found (and not found). I also don't live anywhere near a geo trail like the ones recently shown in DIA. The best I"ve been able to do in a day was 31 and I had to travel across the country to get those.

And the fact that he's pulled up to that particular spot of the guardrail wouldn't mean anything, right?

It cetrtainly doesn't mean anything to me if I'm not participating in the cache run. Why should it?

It cetrtainly doesn't mean anything to me if I'm not participating in the cache run. Why should it?

If you're the driver, you are participating.

That's gotta be a World Record. :P

Naw not near a record Steve :(:):P:)

And for the others out there I've cached with the VK team a few times,

no serious caches runs just fun days with a good group of people.

One Saturday morning we left Micky Ds about 8:00 am to start caching,

I bailed out of the group about 1:30 or 2:00 and I had 59 finds, they cached

on until dark and ended up with well over 100. Just a fun run day :):):)

The only number that would mean anything to me is a solo run. One person, who is the driver, never having found or scoped out the finds before.

I agree.

Does anyone have any "record" numbers for this set of rules ?

You can start another thread for solo runs. I'll post a few I know of. :)

Just don't expect anyone to stay on topic for long... :):P:(

Our best was 101 in around 10 or so hours of caching time. There were two cars with 7 people, I think (hey, memory just isn't any good these days)! We drove from Michigan to Chicago, finding one cache along the way and then finding the 99 BOB series! We were supposed to go on to do the APE cache nearby, but I opted out due to a sore back, so 4 of us returned back.

I know, that's only 100...we stopped at Max B On The River's Big Orange Travel Bug Hotel on the way home! If I remember correctly, we started well before dark and finished well after dark...but we did have FUN!

I haven't once thought about doing another run like that...just not gonna happen!

That's gotta be a World Record. :rolleyes:

Thanks

ng?Please don't debate or drag this thread down with discussions about why or why not.

Keep it simple, please.

;) Did you see anything?

That's gotta be a World Record. :rolleyes:

Thanks

ng?Please don't debate or drag this thread down with discussions about why or why not.

Keep it simple, please.

;) Did you see anything?

It wasn't the OP's team that did that. He/she is just wondering if anyone has hard data for other numbers runs. (which to respond to your subsequent post) are part of the game for some.

The rules followed are:

No splitting up.

Oh yea....NO pre-running and NO pre-finding.

Those sound like very reasonable rules to me.

I'd add this one: No temp caches

The rules followed are:

No splitting up.

Oh yea....NO pre-running and NO pre-finding.

Those sound like very reasonable rules to me.

I'd add this one: No temp caches

I would say no one in your party should have any more information then a cacher who hasn't found the cache before. If the CO or a previous finder is involved in either planning, providing spoilers or in the actual execution of the run then it taints it for me.

Not that I guess I care one way or the other too much.

I agree.

Does anyone have any "record" numbers for this set of rules ?

You can start another thread for solo runs. I'll post a few I know of. :laughing:

Just don't expect anyone to stay on topic for long... :rolleyes::D;)

I know someone that got 42 on a solo run, done entirely on foot. It was out in southern California somewhere (she lives in Ithaca, NY).

I did 16 yesterday (on a solo outing) in about 5 hours but involved nearly 100 miles of driving. There really isn't anyway do get that many as I have to drive at least 20 miles from home to find more than a handful of caches in one outing.

It certainly doesn't mean anything to me if I'm not participating in the cache run. Why should it?
If you're the driver, you are participating.
I never said that I was the driver. If I were asked to be the driver for such a run, I would likely have one of the participants point me to the spot where they wish to be dumped out. They would still benefit from a local's knowledge of the roads and correct access points, but I don't have an issue with that.

Further, just because the driver had previously found those 400+ caches at some point in his caching career doesn't necessarily mean that he could tell anyone exactly where they are hidden. For instance, I've found a bunch of guardrail caches, but I couldn't for the life of me identify teh particular spot on a guardrail that more than a few of them are located. Those few would probably be lucky guesses.

This did nt start as a number game, but as a way to bring people to beautiful places and make it a little fun. The all about numbers folk have all wrong.
I fixed it for you. Edited by sbell111

This did nt start as a number game, but as a way to bring people to beautiful places and make it a little fun. The all about numbers folk have all wrong.

With the exception of the struck-out portion, I'd imagine the same could be said for baseball, football, and just about every other major sport.

Oops! Sorry!!

Edited by knowschad