What is the largest geocache you have found/know about?

Hi there,

im new to this geocaching hobby, i only have 29 to my name, but look forward to increasing this even more for years to come.

basically im a student, and ones local to me dont get very large, something like an ammo box is very rare,

im intrigued as to how large these caches can get, so if you can post the largest you have found or know about, it would be good!!

also do these get muggled very often, and what precautions are taken to prevent it for the very large caches?

regards

The largest cache I ever found (GCRJ5H) I had to go inside of to see what was in it. Once inside I had enough room to comfortably relax, sift through vast amounts of very large swag (think teddy bears that were child sized) and sign the log out of the bugs and rain. The hint for the cache if I remember correctly was that it was hidden under some sticks. The cache was a large tent in the middle of the woods with a few small twigs perched on the top to make the hint accurate. Surprisingly, this cache managed to last almost two years before it was archived.

Hi there,

im new to this geocaching hobby, i only have 29 to my name, but look forward to increasing this even more for years to come.

basically im a student, and ones local to me dont get very large, something like an ammo box is very rare,

im intrigued as to how large these caches can get, so if you can post the largest you have found or know about, it would be good!!

also do these get muggled very often, and what precautions are taken to prevent it for the very large caches?

regards

Seeing your location, I suggest you have a hunt for

"The award winning 130" by Birdman-of-Liskatraz

MrsB :smile:

Just outside of Lebanon Missouri on Old Route 66 is a cache named "The Jolly Green Giant" It is listed as the largest Ammo can in the state. (GC1MDCE) Fun cache with plenty of room for SWAG. I Logged it at 6:28 p.m. on 10/11/2009

I love the "Giant". One of my favorite caches to tell folks about.

I have a multi cache where one of the stages is one of those locking pick up truck tool boxes. I filled it with colorful plastic balls about 3" in diameter, like the ones they have in ball pits at Chuck E Cheese's. You have to dig through the balls to get the coordinates to the final which is a large ammo can.

Catz Eye in Maryland is easily the lzargest I have ever found. It is an incredibly huge ammo box and it still took me two tries to find. It measures approximately 32" h x 20"w x 6" d. The swag and trackables were truly mind boggling!

beezers958

Glad to see beezers958 is continuing to cache in his new location.

The largest cache I have found is Lavascaler XXXL (GC16611) which the CO claims is a 55 gallon barrel. (More like a 42 gallon plastic barrel.)

I turned in a DNF on it in May 2007 because it was under more than 4 feet of snow. I came back over the lava field for an easier find in September 2007.

There is one in the east end of Bend, OR that is a 30 gallon trashcan in a cacher's backyard.

We have only been doing this for a few months, but have found some really interesting ones along the way. One in Nolensville, Tennessee is listed as the largest Travel Bug Hotel - it is actually an old brick building that is padlocked - absolutely awesome!!!!

Hi there,

regards

Gold Pirates Chest 3'x2'x2.5' (full of swag for the little people & Halloween costumes w/camera)

(This was placed in a ground level cache box made of planks with a lock on the lid))

Large Tool Locker 4'x2'x3' (Called the Ultimate Man Cache - tools, hunting & fishing supplies)

Pickup Box Tool locker 6'x3'x3' (final of a multi that had a cordless drill & a circular saw as stage 1 & 2)

Full Sized Wishing Well 4'x4'x4' + side posts & roof (full of swag for the little people & foam letter blocks to spell out your caching name - the swag was contained in two full sized Rubbermaid containers)

Theoretically somewhere in Alaska there is an overseas type cargo container; painted to look like an ammo can; surrounded by tree trunks. (Just heard of it, never seen it!) If this is true, the proverbial ammo can in the woods hidden by sticks takes on a whole new meaning.

Edited by The Hipster

We have only been doing this for a few months, but have found some really interesting ones along the way. One in Nolensville, Tennessee is listed as the largest Travel Bug Hotel - it is actually an old brick building that is padlocked - absolutely awesome!!!!

I live just a few miles from that one. Will have to check it out soon.
The largest cache container I have found is an old SUV in the woods.

The largest travel bug I have seen is an airplane propeller.

Where is it?????????

Which, the cache that's an SUV? It is south of Nashville, Tennessee. That might be a bit far from New Zealand! :-)

No cache too far ( Old Cacher saying ) :huh::(