Find geocache by name on Garmin 60CSx

When finding a geocache by name on the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (and possibly others with mixed-case capability, I don't know) the keyboard shifts to lower-case and punctuation characters after typing the first character. Since all geocache names consist exclusively of letters and digits, this shift is just a nuisance as you need to navigate to the up-shift to return to upper-case and digits before completing the name. Not impossible, but annoying since the shift is NEVER useful. The shift does not occur when entering street names or city names, so the Garmin programmers can control the shift based on context.

I have politely contacted Garmin about this after every new firmware release for the last several releases. No change, obviously. If I am the only one bothered by this then I'll just keep living with it, because otherwise I love the device.

On the other hand, if it bothers any of you then maybe hearing about it from more than just me will help Garmin make a great geocaching unit even more pleasurable to use.

I just checked and my Vista HCx does the same upper/lower case thing but I don't see a problem with searching.

When I search for my HOME waypoint searching by H-o pulls up everything in order. Capitalization doesn't seem to exclude or change the order of anything. I don't see a requirement to use capitalization while searching for a waypoint with mixed case.

The 60CSx does?

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have the same irritating issue with my 76csx... and to answer the previous reply, it is annoying because you have to hit the shift key to get the numbers to come back. I have been annoyed by this as well... I wish a firmware update would correct this issue.

My hope with posting this is that anyone who would also like this changed will drop a note to Garmin tech support - specify that it is a feature request for the developer's attention - not a bug. If enough people raise the issue it will get some attention.

I have the same irritating issue with my 76csx... and to answer the previous reply, it is annoying because you have to hit the shift key to get the numbers to come back. I have been annoyed by this as well... I wish a firmware update would correct this issue.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I just want to understand the situation better. Once you select the first upper-cased letter the rest is gone unless you go back to upper-case?

edited for clarification

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I just want to understand the situation better. Once you select the first upper-cased letter the rest is gone unless you go back to upper-case?

edited for clarification

After selecting the first character the upper-case letters are replaced by lower-case, and the digits are replaced by punctuation characters. If the geocache name happened to contain ONLY characters, it would be fine as lower-case works as well as upper-case, but nearly all geocache names contain digits, so the keyboard has to be shifted back to uppercase to get the digits back. The irritation is that it is pointless to shift to lower-case and punctuation, forcing the user to shift it back.