Garmin Dakota onwers

Torgut

Well... today I received my new Garmin Dakota 20. First impressions are above expectations in all matters but the screen performance, which anyway is within expected. I will be happy to provide answers regarding this unit.

Myself, I have a question (probably more will come): I notice we can define the number of found Geocaches. I would expect the ability to show this data as a field in a screen, like the trip computer, but can't find a way to do this.

Oh... what's Sight 'N Go ?

Geocache found count only shows up on the Geocaching dashboard visible on the Trip Odometer.

Sight'n Go allows you to pick a distant landmark, lock in a heading to the landmark using the compass and navigate in that direction.

The compass arrow is not a really a compass arrow. It is a bearing pointer which points to the target of your current navigation. It has disappeared because you are no longer navigating to a destination. If you select something from the WhereTo? menu it will appear again.

I will be happy to provide answers regarding this unit.

Torgut, I noticed in another post that you said you used to keep multiple geocaching POI files on your eXplorist. For example, I think you said your files were based on different geographic areas. Are you able to do something similar on the Dakota, grouping caches based on whatever criteria you want? Or are all the geocaches from the different GPX files put into one list?

Edited by geognerd

All geocaches are put on two lists, either found or unfound. No other grouping is supported.

The question was answered and reminded me of how silly these fellows can be. It would be a piece of cake for them to provide a proper organization tool, but no... new models, new line of products but still we have too see everything in a chaotic pile.

After a few days of operation with Dakota there are a few "nuances" I still have to clear up, but basically I'm pretty sure I will manage that by my own. However there is one little "mistery": for no apparent reason, for a while my unit connected to the computer not as Mass Storage Device but in normal operation device, getting power from USB. Now it doesn't do that anymore. Can't explain how and why.