Lost When it Comes to Finding Log Data

Chickahominy

Hello all...

My daughter and I drove across country from SC to NV. We found several benchmarks along the way. I am having a heck of a time finding them on the GC website so as to log them. Some didn't have a PID number, some the coords are off... and some ?? Can anyone help me find them, please?

#1 The concrete marker in Santa Fe, NM located in the courtyard of the Governor's building. It was one of the first benchmarks? Is it listed anywhere?

#2 There was a benchmark on a street corner across from the Museum and Governor's Palace. I can't find it either.

I have more!

Thank you for your help.

Molly aka Chickahominy

Hello all...

My daughter and I drove across country from SC to NV. We found several benchmarks along the way. I am having a heck of a time finding them on the GC website so as to log them. Some didn't have a PID number, some the coords are off... and some ?? Can anyone help me find them, please?

#1 The concrete marker in Santa Fe, NM located in the courtyard of the Governor's building. It was one of the first benchmarks? Is it listed anywhere?

#2 There was a benchmark on a street corner across from the Museum and Governor's Palace. I can't find it either.

I have more!

Thank you for your help.

Molly aka Chickahominy

Have you tried using Google Earth to maybe pinpoint the location and then posting those coordinates into the database to see if it is shown there? Just a thought.

Edited by Haffy

(Oops. Topflitejr1 posted while I was constructing my message so some of my comments duplicate his.)

Hi Chickahominy,

- It looks like you found FN0348. Was your question number 1 referring to that disk or some other disk?

- In the current NGS database there are no other disks within a ¼ mile radius of FM0348. (There are many, many disks in the U.S. that are not included in the NGS database.) You could always log the disks on Waymarking.com.

- Maybe m&h or GEO*Trailblazer_1 may be able to shed some light. They are expert and experienced benchmarkers and have been to that area before.

PS: Your daughter has a cool member name.

edited to correct a typo

Edited by TillaMurphs

We’re grateful to the Tillamurphs for the compliment, but such knowledge as we possess won’t add much to what has already been said. We have not seen the concrete marker in the courtyard of the Governor’s Palace, if by “courtyard” you mean the area north of the building with several trees growing in it. Your phrase ending with the question mark, “first benchmark,” is not easy to understand. Do you mean you have seen or read something somewhere that might suggest that this concrete marker is a first benchmark -- ever? In New Mexico? In Santa Fe?

Your item #2 is also unknown to us. It sounds like a disk, in which case it is one of the thousands not included in the NGS or GC.com databases. We don’t do Waymarking ourselves, though we do keep in our own records interesting non-NGS marks that we’ve turned up here and there.

It’s kind of funny, but true: you really don’t need a GPS receiver to find a mark, but it’s tough to find documentation of a mark without having its coordinates. Haffy’s suggestion, to use Google Earth, is excellent if you haven’t taken coordinates yourself. Once you have those, as earlier posters have said, you can enter them in search windows at GC.com or NGS and find what’s within a specified radius. If what you’re looking at isn’t NGS, it’s sometimes fun to track down the agency that is responsible for it--city, county, USGS, Corps of Engineers, National Ocean Service, etc. Sometimes not so fun, too, if all you’ve found is a property corner.

Good hunting! We see that you’re no stranger to geocaching, so whatever looks hard to you now ought to look easier pretty quickly.

Cheers,