London MEGA 2012

However, Groundspeak have now recognised that the current holders of the account have the consensus of the majority to host a Mega event...

Indeed. So how do we establish what this consensus is? As democratically as possible is probably the most appropriate reply...

So how do you propose to do that - bearing in mind that probably fewer than 10% of UK cachers actually use this forum?

So how do you propose to do that - bearing in mind that probably fewer than 10% of UK cachers actually use this forum?

OK, how about this?

Let's look at the sort of people likely to go to a Mega. Chances are, they've been to an event before?

I think the number of people likely to go to a Mega as their first ever event is relatively slim. Not unknown, but probably less than 5% so if we can get to 95% of people, we're getting somewhere.

Therefore, ask all event owners if they mind putting a note or link on the bottom of their event.

Something as simple as "Have your say on the next UK Mega event - click here"

That way, noone can pretend that they didn't know or didn't have a say. Give people options too - like where they might like one (and reasonable - obviously NE, SW and Sco have one so we need to look at E, W, NW, Wales, SE and so on). Originally, I suggested that putting a pin in the middle of the country would probably be a better idea, but I was burned down in flames.

Stu's idea is a good one, and would reach a lot of people.

The only alternative I thought of was having a ballot stall at the Mega Event itself where people could vote for where the Mega in two years time should be held. For example the vote at the 2010 Mega could be for where attendees would prefer to see the event held in 2012, from a list of regions who were prepared to host one. That would give the regions interested in hosting the best part of a year from now to weigh up their options and get a committee together. Each committee could then put together a rough plan of what their Mega would look like, so that attendees could vote for their favourite option.

The lucky (?!) committee that won the vote would then have two years to actually plan, finance and organise the whole thing. You're never going to be able to get 100% of UK cachers to vote on this issue, so you could simply say that if you come to the 2010 Mega you get to vote on 2012... and if you come to Wales in 2011 you get a say on 2013, and so on...

Edited by muttoneer

1) I don't know the right answer!

2) I think a ballot at a Mega is a bad idea as attendees would probably favour the area in which the vote was held

I quite like Stu's idea...

Here's another:

I guess there's been something around 100(ish... ballpark... don't correct me on this!) UK events over the last 12 months. I reckon it would be an hour or two of a job for someone to compile a list of attendees at these events. These attendees could then (WITH GS PERMISSION) be sent a message pointing them to the vote/debate site/page.

Hmmm... I might do the list anyway if I get bored one night, could create a cool "degrees of separation" cloud.... hmmm....

2) I think a ballot at a Mega is a bad idea as attendees would probably favour the area in which the vote was held

Would a region which has hosted a Mega have the desire to host another one so quickly afterwards? We could get around that by saying the host area wasn't able to enter the vote...

Would a region which has hosted a Mega have the desire to host another one so quickly afterwards? We could get around that by saying the host area wasn't able to enter the vote...

The "region" that hosted the Mega might well be keen - but I very much doubt the committee would be ;)

And how are you going to define the region? W-s-M was touted as the South West mega - but according to GS, Weston's in the South - not the South West - leaving Devon and Cornwall open to bid for 2012, but excluding Wiltshire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Dorset??

I can see that asking regional event attendees to vote is going to run into a similar problem - in that (almost) everybody is going to want it in their own backyard, and the votes for locations will simply reflect the demographic.... ?

Theres two issues that I see...

a) Who want's to run it ?

and

;) If theres more than one contender for a year - who decides which one (or more maybe) runs?

It's pointless voting for every UK region if theres nobody in a region prepared to run it.

Is it worth a system like the Olympics where various regions propose an event and cachers can vote on the offerred venues?

Do you let (and whos to stop anyone anyway?) anyone who wants to run a Mega event run it?

On the current "system" Megapiratemania - won't happen at the earliest until 2013 and MegaKernow(!) until 2014.. and MegaIndianSummer until 2022....

Just adding to the debate

We in Ireland would love to have a Mega event but as Windsockers says we just don't have a critical mass of cachers. He has organized a few events but, with a few honourable exceptions, very little interest was shown from the mainland UK even though there are cheap flights to Dublin and of course the ferry. Our numbers are growing though and who knows in a few years it might be feasible.

Never been to Northern Ireland though. I know it would be expensive to get there, and camping would mean a rough ferry crossing, but a nice idea???

Expensive, yes, relatively so compared to cross channel ferries, but rough? - only occasionally and from Scotland the crossing is short - for example 1 hour Cairnryan to Larne by fast ferry. You don't have to wait for a mega you know, we'll make you welcome any time ;)

Theres two issues that I see...

a) Who want's to run it ?

Having glimpsed the inner politics, time and effort that went into organizing this years Mega, perhaps a place on the committee should be seen more as a punishment than a prize B)

and

:D If theres more than one contender for a year - who decides which one (or more maybe) runs?

Who are we to decide who can and cannot hold an event? Or even to decide who decides who can hold an event???

Is it worth a system like the Olympics where various regions propose an event and cachers can vote on the offerred venues?

Do you let (and whos to stop anyone anyway?) anyone who wants to run a Mega event run it?

Yes! It's only an event, after all. And if it doesn't make the mega grade, it'll still be an event.

On the current "system" Megapiratemania - won't happen at the earliest until 2013 and MegaKernow(!) until 2014.. and MegaIndianSummer until 2022....

I had over 20 attendees at Indian Summer last year - including partners and corgis....... only 480+ to go before I stand down in protest :D

;);):D

I asked geowoodstock how they do this a few years ago.

(for the ones that dont know geowoodstock in the USA changes venue every year)

The committee for the current years event have applications for hosting the next event.

The current years committee has some members from the previous years committee and have a few long standing members (think more advisor than anything else and holders of the geowoodstock log in on GC)

They decide before this years event who will host the next event.

The next event is announced at this years event but the people hosting it know long before.

;);)

I asked geowoodstock how they do this a few years ago.

(for the ones that dont know geowoodstock in the USA changes venue every year)

The committee for the current years event have applications for hosting the next event.

The current years committee has some members from the previous years committee and have a few long standing members (think more advisor than anything else and holders of the geowoodstock log in on GC)

They decide before this years event who will host the next event.

The next event is announced at this years event but the people hosting it know long before.

;);)

But geowoodstock is only one event - it's not "The US mega Event" !!!

Ok, so there are lots of limitations:

thoughts please.

I'd vote for no because London is going to be a very twitchy place that summer, security wise. Last thing I'd want is to get my collar felt for acting in a highly suspect manner.

Then there are all the other reasons - expensive to get to, expensive to stay there and finding a suitable venue, that is affordable might be issue.

Rik

Why is everyone hung up on only one mega a year? B)

And why on earth are we all debating who decides to organise one? If someone wanted to organise any other type of event we wouldn't be debating it on the forum - they'd just get on with it. For some reason you stick the word 'mega' at the front and everyone gets argumentative about it and thinks they have to take it in turns. I just don't see why that's neccessary.....

If a group of people want to get together and organise a big event then I say well done and good luck. And then they should be left to get on with it without criticism and nit-picking from others.

Mega status is not just about numbers - it's the scale and ethos of the event.

1If an event is good people will come and have a good time - it's NOT about the icon and anyone who wants to plans or attends one for the icon is doing so for the wrong reasons.

If WSM and Harrogate have proved anything, it's that numbers is the easy bit - trust me, it's the TIME, ORGANISATION, MONEY and EFFORT that you have to put into organising a mega that is more important and defines what a mega actually is.

At the end of the day, I figure the more of these the better - so why complain about getting more of something good ;);):D

If there are two mega in 2011 I personally will consider that a great thing and would hopefully be able to go to both :D

Why is everyone hung up on only one mega a year? B)

And why on earth are we all debating who decides to organise one? If someone wanted to organise any other type of event we wouldn't be debating it on the forum - they'd just get on with it. For some reason you stick the word 'mega' at the front and everyone gets argumentative about it and thinks they have to take it in turns. I just don't see why that's neccessary.....

If a group of people want to get together and organise a big event then I say well done and good luck. And then they should be left to get on with it without criticism and nit-picking from others.

1If an event is good people will come and have a good time - it's NOT about the icon and anyone who wants to plans or attends one for the icon is doing so for the wrong reasons.

If WSM and Harrogate have proved anything, it's that numbers is the easy bit - trust me, it's the TIME, ORGANISATION, MONEY and EFFORT that you have to put into organising a mega that is more important and defines what a mega actually is.

At the end of the day, I figure the more of these the better - so why complain about getting more of something good ;);):D

If there are two mega in 2011 I personally will consider that a great thing and would hopefully be able to go to both :D

Well said :D

I'd like to share some thoughts, and there's not a darn thing you can do to stop me ;)

Mega events are more than 'just about the numbers' - 500 cachers in one place at one time would be fairly easy to organise, given the nearly 1k last year and over 1k this year. It's more a question of keeping it 'special', with a full set of smaller events around it, trade stands etc etc. Now, I think one a year is all that the current caching population will stand. Split that 1100 between two events and you get a Mega and a half, in reality.

That said, I can imagine this changing. I can imagine a summer and a winter Mega. I can even imagine an Easter, a summer and a winter Mega, 4 months and 200+ miles apart. But I suspect to keep these Mega events... well, mega, that's about the limit.

Events; where and when? Dedicated people are needed, locations need to be suitable and effort goes without saying. If an area has all those, and proposes an event -such as South Wales 2011- then anyone else thinking of doing something similar owes it to everyone, including themselves, to look at their own location and dates. Does the SE deserve a Mega event? Does the year after the year after next year make sense, given the world's focus on the UK for a couple of weeks? I think so. (Btw, the Olympics runs from the 27th of July to 12th August 2012. The 19th will be sunny in the SE ;))

Beyond that (2011 supporting two or more events, for example) there's no diplomatic system that will work. Every cacher has the freedom -the right- to attempt to hold a Mega event where and when they want to. The smart ones will pick times and places to attract 500+ people. If they don't, visitors -or rather not- will vote with their feet, and just not attend. Simple as. Bagsying years (areas, summers, winters?), at this point, is probably as good a system as any. If someone doesn't like that, well, they can risk launching a rival event, and hope people like their plans better than the so-called official competition.

<snip> (Btw, the Olympics runs from the 27th of July to 12th August 2012. The 19th will be sunny in the SE ;))

... and Paralympic Games: 29 August - 9 September

Also bear in mind the cultural events surrounding the games.

Quote from the 2012 website

"Our four-year Cultural Olympiad will reach a climax with the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony on 27 July. It starts a 60-day festival of sport and culture across the UK – the Olympic and Paralympic Games."

*Mouse* and Simply Paul both have some interesting points.

GS have said they would be happy with two Mega's in the UK (and yes Ireland and other places around).

I think they need to be far enough apart (distance and time-wise) so that you are not trying to get then same cachers to both at the same time.

London 2012?

My two-penneth... No.

Too much security, everywhere will be priced high, and difficult to book, due to the Olympics.

However... something away from London, but within travelling time/distance may get the sporty-types here for the Olympics -who are interested in caching (anyone?!)- looking at attending.

A mega in London at the time of the olympics... no ta. but one at the same time as far away from London as possible. Count me in.

And as has been said. If you organise it they will come. You want to run a second mega in ayear. Go ahead. but hopefully it will be far enough away in distance and time to make it special.

Let's make it official. Pencil me in for August the 19th 2012, somewhere in the South East of England (Date and location TBC). Anyone else interested in being on the committee for the 5th Megaiad please drop me an email. How's that?

Scottish school holidays are usually the whole of July, first two weeks August. ;)

Please don't forget to consider us up here! ;)

For my 2p.. I know how much work needs to be put in for a Mega event :(

I think London at any time would be problomatic but during the Olympiad it would be bonkers due to all of the security.

Surely the Reading-Oxford-Milton K area would be better..

Inside the M25 we would probably not go.

I noticed the thoughts on having an outside event.. We looked into this a lot for 2008 and one of the major drawbacks after securing a venue was the cost.. Hold it in a field by all means but with 1000 folks turning up what do you do about food... loo's and access for and disabled cachers.. Could you bank on the weather... Er no.. For us the Hotel covered many of the problems in one go.. As it did for WSM.

By the way many thanks to all the WSM crew.. We had a thoroughly great time :D:D

Perth you are looking Good already.. Cannot wait to get there..

For my 2p.. I know how much work needs to be put in for a Mega event :(

I think London at any time would be problomatic but during the Olympiad it would be bonkers due to all of the security.

Surely the Reading-Oxford-Milton K area would be better..

Inside the M25 we would probably not go.

Any of those suit me.

Paul: Count me in (sorry we didn't go last night: Scottish road trip to organise I'm afraid)

Having read this thread with great interest and so far kept schtum I'll add my 2 cents ( for what it's worth )

I for 1 am really looking forward to 2012 already and can't wait ( ducks to dodge flak )

I'm hoping to spend a fair bit of time that summer in and around London cos I think having the Olympics is FANTASTIC so if there is a caching event on ( mega or otherwise ) and I'm in the area I will try to attend.

However I don't really see the security issue as being all that problematic, after all there is already an agreement in place with the MET re placing of caches, there are already loads in and around GREATER London AND the South East is much bigger than London itself so if you think outside the box slightly with it's good rail links a London Mega could actually be anywhere within maybe 50 miles of central London and still be easy (ish) to get to.

On a slightly different but related note ...

I happen to be a believer in the " build it and they will come " philosophy and feel that anyone should have the chance to put on an event when and where they want to, and if that means they think they can put on a MEGA then good luck to them.

Well Done to the Perth crew for the planning already in place for next year and Good Luck, I'm looking forward to it already, and Well done also to the South Wales crew for letting us know they are putting one on in 2011, could you confirm that is early August (?) so i can plan my time off work

I hope both events attract many many Cachers and are very successful and I'm sure they will be.

However, I for one, don't think we need to be fixated on only having 1 Mega a year, after all it's not long ago that the debate was " Could the UK do a Mega ? "

We now know the answer is a resounding YES, WE CAN ! :D

and the only way we will find out if we can do more in a year is if some one picks up the baton and runs with it.

A word of warning though to any one thinking of doing it....

IT IS NOT EASY,

as Madyokel has already said certain Facilities are required and that means more than a field with a large tent in it ( as a point of interest one of the reasons we discounted this idea was the cosat of liability insurance)

And if any one is thinking of doing it so the get the MEGA icon for caches set DON'T, as you don't get it, all you get is a lot of hard work, frustration and panic, eventually followed by the good feeling that you acheived something worth while.... :(

Would I do it again ? ..... 12 months ago the answer was NO CHANCE

now the answer is ... I doubt it... been there, got the T shirt ... not ready for another....

Edited by fat boy slow

Let's make it official. Pencil me in for August the 19th 2012, somewhere in the South East of England (Date and location TBC). Anyone else interested in being on the committee for the 5th Megaiad please drop me an email. How's that?

Count both pineapples in Paul! We even talked about it between ourselves at this years event, although Surrey is rather short on campsites!

Lots of good points made by many posters - at the end of the day though, its mostly about who is prepared to organise one. And it isn't simply numbers, its everything else around it - if MEGA SE "only" got 499 people, but had lots of other activities such as trade stalls, associated events, activities and so on, then that still makes it special, even it it isn't MEGA. Hmm - I know what I mean anyway!

Aside from the objections to a central London event, I think the main problem with that would be cost of hire - so yes, MEGA South East is probably a more appropriate title...

Cheers

dave

It's nice to see plenty of interest forming around this and reckon a Southeast Mega is a much better idea than a London one, while the Olympics are on at any rate!

Yes, there's always the option of more than one Mega in 2012, but for what it's worth, I wouldn't personally want to try to organise a Mega event to go up against either South Wales in 2011 or the South East in 2012. I think further UK Mega Events will probably evolve out of existing successful events, rather than be carbon copies of the existing successful Mega format simply translated to another spot on the calendar.

So, if you can get a committee together which is willing and able to host in 2012 then good luck to you and I'll hope to make it down there. In the meantime I'll continue to look at getting a Mega committee together in the North West and if the consensus is that 2012 goes to the South East then we'll be making a very strong case for hosting Mega 6 in 2013. And that is a long way off, isn't it! :(

I'd like to add a little more though in the NW favour.

Most of the events I've been to that have been well attended (outside of the SW) have been in Oxford (Dreaming Spires), Cheshire/Lancs events and the Piratemania/GFAB series.

What links most of these is indeed the NW contingent so it might be an idea to have another angle.

I don't know it that well and I think we'd struggle venue-wise, but I would suggest Derbyshire/Notts as a good, central spot. Yes, it's awkward for us all, but it's a lovely part of the world, we wouldn't be fighting anyone else for space and 1000+ cachers could easily go caching all day and not bump into another!

I did suggest this originally when it was decided to do the first event in Harrogate but in hindsight I was looking at the centre of England/Wales rather than Scotland (please forgive me, I'm on my way up there tomorrow!)

I personally think that the 2012 london mega sound great.

venues, wembly wimbledon guildford and many more around the outskirts where greener pastures would allow for camping. but you also need a venue for the event itself.

I am sure some one would be able to come up with an ideal location.

But there are campsites around london that would be suitable i am sure.

I'd like to add a little more though in the NW favour.

Most of the events I've been to that have been well attended (outside of the SW) have been in Oxford (Dreaming Spires), Cheshire/Lancs events and the Piratemania/GFAB series.

What links most of these is indeed the NW contingent so it might be an idea to have another angle.

Oxford - NW contingent? Oxymoron surely?

I think SE 2012 is a great idea, lets DO IT!!

Why is everyone hung up on only one mega a year? :D

At the end of the day, I figure the more of these the better - so why complain about getting more of something good :(:D:D

Well said :D

Very well said! :D

As one who is planning on getting involved with Mega Wales I am really concerned about 2 megas in one year.

We are getting together a committee and will be looking at fundraising the money needed - but do we plan a venue for 1400 - 1600 cachers attending which I think could be a conceivable number by the attendees of Harrogate and Weston-Super-Mare(we attended and thoroughly enjoyed both) plus the growing number of newcomers joining this hobby over the next two years OR do we plan on a smaller number 500 - 700 cachers. This could make such a difference in the costings involved at the prices we are being quoted at the moment.

I would hate us to make the wrong decision :(

As to a comment about Wales being seen from WSMare - that is true but remember we have mountains, Pen-y-Fan, the Gower coast, Cardiff Bay, etc, etc :D plus Write and Mane's CC collection for anyone who would like a little challenge :D

Since London's has a new airport at Kidlington, which is only 60 miles away :( , that gives us quite

a good radius to host "LONDON'S MEGA EVENT 2012" :D

But on a serious note.

The 2012 Mega in the SE is a very good idea indeed.

Maybe hold it a week after the end of the Olympics, when our overseas friends are still around.

I'd go for somewhere that is accessible from Euston, Waterloo or Paddington.

Maybe ,Bucks, Berks, Herts and maybe even Surrey.

There's plenty of "semi-pro" cachers around these areas to whip up enthusiasm (and organise)

So after my initial "no" I now think it's an obvious step in the right direction.

:D:D:D

or even KENT

says a cacher from West Kent just outside the M25 :-)

All Events are "Not for Profit"! A Event owner/organisers may make a reasonable charge to cover their costs. In the case of the 2 UK Megas any surplus cash flow has/will be donated to charity, and not into the pockets of the Organisers.

But both committees will tell you that there is no guarantee that the event will even clear the cost of organising it. This is something that is part of the risk of organising such a event.

Deci

I had been thinking of Oxford, but a day out in Brighton yesterday made me think that it's a great advert for Britain. Faded -and not-so faded- Victorian splendour, a million hotels and cheaper B&Bs, plus lots of local campsites, the famous pavilion, a laid-back and tolerant atmosphere (I was down there for Geek Pride the other week..!) and all the kitsch appeal of the English Seaside Resort. We could include Crazy Golf as a part of the geolympics :mad:

Sorry preynish, much as I love the IOW, I don't think it's ready for a Mega just yet. I think there's been some smaller events held there though. Part of the idea of doing a SE event in 2012 close to the Olympics is to celebrate them, and hopefully attract international visitors to the Mega; putting it on an island several hours from London, with poor public transport links would be a bit sadistic!

At this stage, I'm still firing ideas out there and gauging interest. Thanks very much to The Other Stu, Dave and Mary of purple_pineapple and James (metal-bijou) for their 'official' interest. As Deci says, this isn't a get-rich-quick plan; it comes with risks, with only the hope of a good feeling from running a successful event as the possible reward. I'm prepared to get it up and running on that understanding.

I had been thinking of Oxford, but a day out in Brighton yesterday made me think that it's a great advert for Britain. Faded -and not-so faded- Victorian splendour, a million hotels and cheaper B&Bs, plus lots of local campsites, the famous pavilion, a laid-back and tolerant atmosphere (I was down there for Geek Pride the other week..!) and all the kitsch appeal of the English Seaside Resort. We could include Crazy Golf as a part of the geolympics :mad:

Sorry preynish, much as I love the IOW, I don't think it's ready for a Mega just yet. I think there's been some smaller events held there though. Part of the idea of doing a SE event in 2012 close to the Olympics is to celebrate them, and hopefully attract international visitors to the Mega; putting it on an island several hours from London, with poor public transport links would be a bit sadistic!

At this stage, I'm still firing ideas out there and gauging interest. Thanks very much to The Other Stu, Dave and Mary of purple_pineapple and James (metal-bijou) for their 'official' interest. As Deci says, this isn't a get-rich-quick plan; it comes with risks, with only the hope of a good feeling from running a successful event as the possible reward. I'm prepared to get it up and running on that understanding.

Brighton is good for me ;-) The SE does cover a wide area though, and I suspect the key defining factor might be venue suitability... I came up with Windsor area as a potential site... I'm sure there are lots of potential areas, which is why suitable venue might be first factor, and then everythign else can fall in around it!

Do we have the makings of an organising team and a bid for London 2012?!

As one who is planning on getting involved with Mega Wales I am really concerned about 2 megas in one year.

We are getting together a committee and will be looking at fundraising the money needed - but do we plan a venue for 1400 - 1600 cachers attending which I think could be a conceivable number by the attendees of Harrogate and Weston-Super-Mare(we attended and thoroughly enjoyed both) plus the growing number of newcomers joining this hobby over the next two years OR do we plan on a smaller number 500 - 700 cachers. This could make such a difference in the costings involved at the prices we are being quoted at the moment.

I would hate us to make the wrong decision :mad:

As to a comment about Wales being seen from WSMare - that is true but remember we have mountains, Pen-y-Fan, the Gower coast, Cardiff Bay, etc, etc :anibad: plus Write and Mane's CC collection for anyone who would like a little challenge :ph34r:

I couldn't agree more, when I kicked off Mega Scotland a year ago, people started saying let's have two mega events a year, and it had me worried as I don't think the UK can support two mega's as the further afield event will undoubtedly get ignored by other cachers.

I think if someone is even contemplating of organising another mega for 2011, then they should say now, if not then it shouldn't happen. Although I am no longer involved with Mega Scotland, I would be shocked and guted for the current committee if someone came along and said that they were going to organise another mega for next year. As I know that Scotland has been organised for the 1000 attendees mark.

Are Mega's profitable?

That could be the crux of the matter.

As Deccie has already said, any profit should be given to either a charity or used to fund further events, but I think you would be lucky to raise enough for a profit to be made?

Brighton is good for me ;-) The SE does cover a wide area though, and I suspect the key defining factor might be venue suitability... I came up with Windsor area as a potential site... I'm sure there are lots of potential areas, which is why suitable venue might be first factor, and then everythign else can fall in around it!

Do we have the makings of an organising team and a bid for London 2012?!

Sounds like it.

I guess we need an event in the area for all to come and thrash out ideas. So which one to hijack???

I guess we need an event in the area for all to come and thrash out ideas. So which one to hijack???
We have three years. I suggest we get together at a Mega between now at 2012 to see how it's done :mad:

lol - i suspect some thrashing out can be done either via e-mail, or in a boozer somewhere before Perth 2010! maybe not hijacking an existing event though!

"As Deccie has already said, any profit should be given to either a charity or used to fund further events, but I think you would be lucky to raise enough for a profit to be made?"

As a small matter of interest, have/will brief accounts be published for the Megas?

I can't see any particular reason why they would be secret and it would be beneficial on many levels to publicly show how much it cost to put on and where the money came from. It would give future possible organisers contemplating an event a picture of what's involved and what they might be taking on.

Casting absolutely no nasturtiums, but publicly accounting for the finance is a great way of assuring probity, is good practice, and ensures that everything is seen to be above board, avoiding any possible accusations about anything.

As a small matter of interest, have/will brief accounts be published for the Megas?

I can't see any particular reason why they would be secret and it would be beneficial on many levels to publicly show how much it cost to put on and where the money came from. It would give future possible organisers contemplating an event a picture of what's involved and what they might be taking on.

Casting absolutely no nasturtiums, but publicly accounting for the finance is a great way of assuring probity, is good practice, and ensures that everything is seen to be above board, avoiding any possible accusations about anything.

Speaking for Perth, Full accounts will be made for every last penny spent/received.

Our treasurer is in the banking industry and follows correct procedures.

Receipts are kept for every last item and several signatures are needed to sign a cheque.

We need to be squeeky clean on this matter and have nothing to hide.

Committee members will put in many hours hard work, without charging for petrol/stationery/printing for meetings or any other personal expense, but all give their time freely.

We do not wish to make any profit, but break even.

Perth Committee Members are fully aware that they will be responsible for sharing the cost of any shortfall.

If future organisers have any queries we shall be only too glad to advise and help them.

Edited by perth pathfinders

Absolutely.

As far as I am aware the accounts are available to anyone who wants to see them. They've never been secret.

Mega 1 were more than willing to share them with Mega2, and so presumably they would have been equally willing to show anyone else who asked to see them.

Mega2 committee are still finalising a few bits and bobs, but once we're finished, the accounts are available to anyone who requests to see them.

Mega Scotland have already declared their willingness to share on this thread.

So all you have to do is ask and there there for you to see :mad::ph34r::anibad:

Absolutely.

As far as I am aware the accounts are available to anyone who wants to see them. They've never been secret.

Mega 1 were more than willing to share them with Mega2, and so presumably they would have been equally willing to show anyone else who asked to see them.

Mega2 committee are still finalising a few bits and bobs, but once we're finished, the accounts are available to anyone who requests to see them.

Mega Scotland have already declared their willingness to share on this thread.

So all you have to do is ask and there there for you to see :mad::ph34r::anibad:

not sure what format you have them in, but would it be worth getting them in an electronic format and making them available online? maybe on the MEGA website you used? Might save you getting lots of requests for them!

Dave