London MEGA 2012

Went to this years uk mega and really enjoyed it.

We have Scotland next using a landmark date and I thought London might make a good venue. And what better landmark date could you have than 2012?

Ok, so there are lots of limitations:

venue

camping location

etc

thoughts please.

Personally, I've spent the last 44 years doing anything I can to avoid going into London.... and the last few years caching as a way of getting out of the city and into the countryside - but I'm sure there'll be people around soon who'll love the idea :laughing::anicute:

How about somewhere outside London but close enough for those who want to pay congestion charges or tube fares to day-trip in if they want to ;)

Edited by keehotee

Wales are in the early thoughts/planning for a 2011 Mega event. It's being discussed on the South Wales forums.

So London 2012..... bit like the Olympics. There'll be competitions to name which city is hosting it in 2013 and 2014 and 2015.

I like the idea of the 'London' area but I wouldn't think during the Olympics would be a good idea though.

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

I think by 2012 the South East would be well due a Mega, and the Olympics would make it timely.

However like others I'm no big fan of the capital. There are some lovely spots just outside that I think could be great for a Mega, but I probably won't come if it was central.

I also love the idea of a Irish Mega and would definately like go if anyone organised one (transport and work permitting). I enjoyed caching in Dublin earlier in the year. It would be really easy to fly over then backpack......I see a plan forming already! :laughing:

At the moment we're running one mega a year in the UK and Ireland, I'm sure by 2012 we will be able to support two such events.... :anicute:

I think by 2012 the South East would be well due a Mega, and the Olympics would make it timely.

However like others I'm no big fan of the capital. There are some lovely spots just outside that I think could be great for a Mega, but I probably won't come if it was central.

I also love the idea of a Irish Mega and would definately like go if anyone organised one (transport and work permitting). I enjoyed caching in Dublin earlier in the year. It would be really easy to fly over then backpack......I see a plan forming already! :laughing:

At the moment we're running one mega a year in the UK and Ireland, I'm sure by 2012 we will be able to support two such events.... :cry:

I think it would be great fun. We could hold our own events. Sack racing, egg and spoon, relay. Oh what fun that would be. :anicute:;):P:o

At the moment we're running one mega a year in the UK and Ireland, I'm sure by 2012 we will be able to support two such events.... :o

Don't think there's enough numbers for a mega in Ireland maybe in ten years or so :P

As for back packing I've a few winter camping ones in the pipe line ;)

Swine air are having sales all the time :anicute:

Edited by The Windsockers

Are we only allowed one Mega event a year then?

All the talk seems to be about 'this years' or 'that years'.

Not at all.

After the first event drew in 900+, someone from Groundspeak suggested that the UK could easily support two a year.

Now that the second event attracted even more than the first, and as our game/sport/obsession is growing all the time; and, as a Mega Event actually only needs to attract 500, I see no reason why we couldn't get 500 people to two events at different times of the year. And remember, the events don't even need to be on the scale of the first two.

I would suggest one at Easter and one in the Summer Hols, at different sides/ends of the Country, but possibly not next year, as I wouldn't want to see the hard work the Scottish Mega Team have been putting in spoilt by diluting their attendance. I think 2011 would be the best time to try for two events.

Whatever happens with UK Mega Events in the future, I think it's only fair that the discussions and decisions take place in this main UK forum. I know myself and the other "year one" committee members put a few noses out of joint by grabbing the bull by the horns and steam rolling ahead with Harrogate as the venue before a lot of other cachers, who don't read the forum each day, had a chance to have a say.

I myself was a little surprised to hear from a few cachers last Sunday evening (just after this years event) that Wales 2011 was already in the offing.

JMHO.

...I wouldn't want to see the hard work the Scottish Mega Team have been putting in spoilt by diluting their attendance. I think 2011 would be the best time to try for two events.

Unbelievable.

We've only just decided to host a Mega in Wales and already someone has decided the stick the knife in.

England got a whole year for EACH of its first two Megas

Scotland has a whole year for its first Mega,

and yet you'd happily have Wales be forced to timeshare for its first Mega....

Mike

Are we only allowed one Mega event a year then?

All the talk seems to be about 'this years' or 'that years'.

personally I wouldn't want 2 megas in a year, I think it has a number of drawbacks trying to have 2 events in one year, maybe there should be a timeframe where regions should announce in the main forum their intent to hold a mega, then it should be discussed in here

one of the main problems is that with two megas a year you have competition for funds going on between 2 rival factions at the same time, I think a mega requires the 2 years to plan and establish their aims

Edited by Munkeh

Unbelievable.

We've only just decided to host a Mega in Wales and already someone has decided the stick the knife in.

No knives here, and believe me, after the stresses of the first event, I'm already covered in wounds.

Having read Deci's post in the NW forum, I'll drop the subject; but my point still stands that before any "dibs" are placed on future events, it needs to be openly discussed in this main UK forum.

On topic, a SE 2012 event just before/during/just after the Olympics would be great for international visitors but I'd avoid London itself for all sorts of reasons. Somewhere historic, tourist-friendly and under an hour from London would seem to make the most sense- Oxford is handy for the M40 (Midlands) and M4 (South Wales and the West Country) as well as fast regular coach and train connections to London. Lots of local caches, a history of camping events, the Isis/Thames for a punting/walking event... I think it's lots to offer visitors from Europe and beyond.

Unbelievable.

No knives here, and believe me, after the stresses of the first event, I'm already covered in wounds.

Having read Deci's post in the NW forum, I'll drop the subject; but my point still stands that before any "dibs" are placed on future events, it needs to be openly discussed in this main UK forum.

It wasn't a case of 'dibs' being placed. We had discussed it on our S Wales forum then we had a meeting to see if we felt we could go for it. Deci regularly drops into our forum( as he does to all other forums) and he said that although some areas had discussed hosting a mega nothing had come of it. So we had decided to throw our hat into the ring with the final decision to go public being made at the mega by some of us who were there and were involved. We have a meeting planned to discuss committee, funding, etc, etc to start the ball rolling. Although very low key as it is Scotland's year.

If anyone else had shown interest we would have gone with 2012.

All we wanted was to show interest so that the hard work done in Harrogate & Weston Super Mare with holidays being planned around Scotland next year that cachers and their families could look forward to Wales the next year. :lol:

I would like to see Ireland the following year personally :P

I don't think 2 megas a year would be viable as one or the other would suffer perhaps.

The S Wales group have had an event at the May day bank holiday for the last four years and we are (I feel) a strong and committed group which is why we decided to move with Mega 2011.

...I wouldn't want to see the hard work the Scottish Mega Team have been putting in spoilt by diluting their attendance. I think 2011 would be the best time to try for two events.

Mike

The English have been time sharing Wales for years. :P:lol:

Edited by currykev

I also love the idea of a Irish Mega and would definately like go if anyone organised one (transport and work permitting). I enjoyed caching in Dublin earlier in the year. It would be really easy to fly over then backpack......I see a plan forming already! :P

At the moment we're running one mega a year in the UK and Ireland, I'm sure by 2012 we will be able to support two such events.... :lol:

I'm sure we could hold one in central London. Numbers would be huge due to all those visitors that wouldn't trek out of London to the event. And since the camping for Harrogate was a 15mile drive from the event why couldn't we stay outside london but hold the Mega centrally? and 2012 would be a ideal time!

Unbelievable.

Mike

Thats a bit strong don't you think? I'm a little surprised that once Scotland said they were hosting one that someone in the south of England didn't pipe up and host one for those that don't want to travel that far.

Also (and i'm going to be totally honest and open here) I was a little surprised to hear that 2011 would be in

South Wales. Its nice that they move around the country but I could see South Wales from the window in Weston-super-mare! I expected it to be SE or back up North.

I think that those in the North might take exception to it being in the south both 2011 and 2012? I don't see it as sticking the knife in.

SE2012? I think the SE are going to be well overdue a Mega by 2012.

SE2012? I think the SE are going to be well overdue a Mega by 2012.

Obviously I'd like to have one on our doorstep, but as I'm not prepared to stand up and organise it, I say Good Luck to who ever is prepared .... and they are quite entitled to host it in their own back yard :P

If there was one in Central London would I go? Maybe, but probably not - the cost of getting there would be prohibative for starters.

Staying in London is expensive at the best of times, travelling into London by personal transport is slow and expensive, parking in London is beyond expensive and into a world of fiction (except some areas, at weekends, but I wonder if this 'loophole' will have been 'fixed' in time for the influx of people around the Olympics) and a venue to take 500+ people won't be reasonable either. I suppose somewhere like Trent Park at the end of the Piccadilly line might be ok but that's as 'central' as I'd personally want to hold a Mega event around the Olympics. Or even not.

To be as fair as possible to the peoples of the UK (ignoring visitors who might want to come across the channel or into any airport for a moment) the event should be held in Appleby Parva.

The UK could probably sustain two megas, but would need a lot of work.

Maybe it is now time for a group of UK wide cachers from around the UK to form a team of people who could collate nominations for each mega event.

When each mega has been decided they could then go to the relevant region to arrange for local cachers to form a mega committee that would then set up and run the actual mega.

The UK main mega team would purely act as advisor's and then take feedback at the end of each mega to feed into the next mega committee.

How's this for an idea. Rather than having yet more self appointed people telling folk when and where they should run an event, we just let people run with an event if they want to organise one.

As usual, I agree with Icenians. I was directed to this thread by someone else (as I don't normally frequent the GS forum), but have to agree with what he has to say. Surely it's not too much to let anyone who wants to put their hands up to organise an event, to let them do so. If this means that there's one or two or even more Mega events planned, so be it. What's the worst that could happen? The event doesn't quite draw 500+ attendees, and so isn't designated a Mega. So long as it is well organised, it could still be a very profitable and enjoyable event for those who do attend - be that 400 or 4000 cachers. Given that there were almost 1000 cachers at the first Mega, and over 1000 at the second, chances are that anyone who organises a Mega will get the numbers....

Maybe, but probably not - the cost of getting there would be prohibative for starters.

Cheaper than getting to Perth? Its all relative really. I go into Central London to see friends for an evening, I don't avoid seeing them because of the cost.

I do however agree with SP that the cost of hosting a mega in central London would be high and probably prohibitive.

The UK could probably sustain two megas, but would need a lot of work.

Maybe it is now time for a group of UK wide cachers from around the UK to form a team of people who could collate nominations for each mega event.

When each mega has been decided they could then go to the relevant region to arrange for local cachers to form a mega committee that would then set up and run the actual mega.

The UK main mega team would purely act as advisor's and then take feedback at the end of each mega to feed into the next mega committee.

I agree that the UK could sustain 2 mega events however I also believe that having one gathers everyone in one place and has something special associated as a result. I think having 2 would remove part of the atmosphere and soul that the previous 2 have had.

I like the idea of the UKMT (UK Mega Team). They could gather information from all those that wish to host the annual UK Mega Event and put it for vote at the same time each year, giving the incoming hosts time to prepare a stand as the Scottish did this year. I believe that is how Geowoodstock is handled in the States.

Thanks for all your opinions. :D

The great thing is that nobody sat on the fence. And issues that I thought would be raised were. And more. :laughing: Even better because if we went for it all of these challenges would be required to be overcome or at least thought about.

Seriously :rolleyes: I think further feasabilty needs to be done to see how relistic but I think that is at least worth putting together.

Any further suggestions (other than "where to go", ;) cheers CurryKev) would be welcome and appreciated. The good thing is that there are at least a few like minded people with ideas of how to make it work.

I think it is great to see the discussion out in the open, personally, I think it could work. Perhaps with camping somewhere like Windsor, I think we all know someone who has very big fields down that way ;)

Wherever the camping, it would need quick public transport links into the city where the main event and perhaps some satellite events could be held.

Wherever it is held, people will come, and I guess it just remains for those with the time, energy and other skills to come forward ...

No idea why I'm sticking my nose into the debate, but I will.

It seems right that it should head towards London/South East - IF- there's a group in the area willing to host it. My concern would be that during the Olympics, factilities across London and area are likely to be heavily booked.

On a more general note, I think it would be be useful if some protocol could be developed to decide where "The Annual Mega Event" is to be held. If that's decided by a small group from previous Mega's or if local groups propose a venue and date, which could then be voted upon? I have no idea what would work but feel it would be worth some discussion.

As I understand the Mega rules, having 500 people at event doesn't automatically mean Mega status will be given by Groundspeak. A Mega has to be something a bit special as well.

I'd side with those saying that the UK could host more than one Mega a year. Even if one was "The Annual Mega Event" in the summer months and one was something special and slightly different at say Easter or May Bank Holiday. From reading the various forums it looks like there's several areas talking about hosting an event.

I think that the point of any event is to be a good event. Being 'mega' isn't an end in and of itself. I think Harrogate was special because it was the first, it was new and different, it showed that UK Geocaching had 'come of age' with the numbers to support a Mega event.

(Now we've all got the icon ......! :rolleyes: )

Due to the nature of the UK, nowhere is actually central, so wherever and whenever an event is held it will only appeal to some of the UK's geofolk, so seeking to have one annual event is IMHO the wrong focus. If there are now quite a few folk in different areas contemplating putting on an event, then go for it. Regional events would be good. Yes, some coordination of dates etc would be good so things don't clash and are spread out, but if folk now believe an event is possible, after two successful demonstrations, then liaise with others and give it a go. If it has a long run up you'd get an idea of likely numbers and if it goes Mega then great, if not, you've still put together a great experience.

While people are thinking about possibilities, I think it would be interesting to contemplate alternative approaches than the 'hire a large hotel' model. Not a criticism at all of the two so far, but maybe there are less capital intensive ways of going about it. Maybe other formats would appeal more to the outdoor nature of cachers? The essential is to get folk together in one place, but does it need to be in a hotel? Maybe it could also be more intense (giant flash-mob!?), meet for lunch then go caching. Everyone knows when to be there to bump into other folk, then you can hang out, cache, shop, or whatever for as long as you wish. Maybe a Mega on a campsite would work? (It never rains does it?) A Geocaching Festival of sorts? (U2 playing 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'?) ...

Just some musings.

Looking forward to Perth as the Scottish team seemed to be on a roll already!

:huh:

Since London's has a new airport at Kidlington, which is only 60 miles away :rolleyes: , that gives us quite

a good radius to host "LONDON'S MEGA EVENT 2012" :huh:

But on a serious note.

The 2012 Mega in the SE is a very good idea indeed.

Maybe hold it a week after the end of the Olympics, when our overseas friends are still around.

I'd go for somewhere that is accessible from Euston, Waterloo or Paddington.

Maybe ,Bucks, Berks, Herts and maybe even Surrey.

There's plenty of "semi-pro" cachers around these areas to whip up enthusiasm (and organise)

So after my initial "no" I now think it's an obvious step in the right direction.

:D:D:)

On a more general note, I think it would be be useful if some protocol could be developed to decide where "The Annual Mega Event" is to be held.

Personally I would very much welcome that, to save anyone in London, the North West or anywhere else that is seriously considering trying to host the "Official UK Mega" in 2012 from going to too much effort in planning an event which they may not get the chance to organise. Trying to organise your own unofficial Mega to go up against another one a few weeks away presents all sorts of problems - will cachers be able to commit to a second weekend away? Will they want the same sort of experience twice in the same summer? Will there be enough money available to two lots of committee fundraisers to cover their costs? Will Groundspeak give a second event Mega Status? etc etc

I think the issues about

1) whether we have more than one Mega in the UK per year

and

2) which region is chosen to host the 2012 Official UK Mega

are separate ones. Maybe we should discuss this in a separate thread and use this one to get some idea of the levels of support for a London/Southeast Mega in 2012 as the original poster intended.

Unfortunately whatever system is put in place is always going to get grumbled about, but at some point if more than one group presents a feasible plan for hosting the Official UK Mega in any one year then someone is going to have to decide between them and that person will probably be from Groundspeak.

Whatever happens, 2012 might seem a long way off, but the more time there is to plan a series of events of this size the better. The more discussion about 2012 here, on the GAGB forum and the regional forums the better.

On a separate note, I must admit the word Megapiratemania gets me pretty excited ;)

Could someone explain to me what makes a Mega Event 'Official' ?

Am I missing something here? I thought it was an event with over 500 accounts attending.

What happens if an event goes mega by accident? Do the 'official' mega event police stop the 500th person entering?

Am I missing something here? I thought it was an event with over 500 accounts attending.

What happens if an event goes mega by accident? Do the 'official' mega event police stop the 500th person entering?

There's no such thing as an "official" mega event. As far as I know, Mega status is given by Groundspeak and just because an event attracts over 500 doesn't automatically mean it's granted Mega status (Though it seems highly likely that it might be!)

The following link explains a bit more... Mega Events

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz

Sorry for my choice of word there. As I understood it the committee who currently operated the 'UK Mega Event Committee' account on GC.com were the custodians of what is the only current officially sanctioned annual UK Mega. This was what I meant by 'Official'. The Harrogate committee used this account to start with, the Weston committee have it at the moment. Presumably it'll be transferred to the Perth committee soon...

Of course, as the guidelines state, there can be more than one Mega if it meets the criteria and has approval from Groundspeak. But as it stands at present there appears to be in existence one officially sanctioned annual UK Mega Event, hosted by the first region to decide they're up to the task and I think we need more clarity on this process so people interested in organising this particular Mega Event know what they need to do.

Sorry for my choice of word there. As I understood it the committee who currently operated the 'UK Mega Event Committee' account on GC.com were the custodians of what is the only current officially sanctioned annual UK Mega. This was what I meant by 'Official'. The Harrogate committee used this account to start with, the Weston committee have it at the moment. Presumably it'll be transferred to the Perth committee soon...

Of course, as the guidelines state, there can be more than one Mega if it meets the criteria and has approval from Groundspeak. But as it stands at present there appears to be in existence one officially sanctioned annual UK Mega Event, hosted by the first region to decide they're up to the task and I think we need more clarity on this process so people interested in organising this particular Mega Event know what they need to do.

There is no "official" Mega account. The mega Committee account was not granted by Groundspeak - it was created by the first mega committee, and they handed it over to Weston. Weston have in turn handed it over to Scotland.

There is nothing to stop anybody else creating their own "Mega" account (as long as the name is different) and it would hold just as much authority as the existing one originally had (ie - none).

The fact that this years Mega committee held the account did not guarantee that mega status was granted by Groundspeak - we still had to demonstrate that we had the organisational skills to carry it off - and Mega status was only then granted when it was clear that the attendees would exceed 500.

However, Groundspeak have now recognised that the current holders of the account have the consensus of the majority to host a Mega event, so hopefully the path to their being given Mega status should be somewhat easier.... ;);)

There is no guarantee that Groundspeak would grant mega status retrospectively, just because an event had 500+ attendees, especially if the huge numbers are a one-off occurrence.

This is why some events attain mega status after a few annual iterations, and not at the first year.