This Sport is Going to Die if....

mikejody

Greetings,

We have not geocached in awhile, and today a friend was visiting and the subject came up, and this friend did not know what geocaching was. I said, "it's really fun, let's go do some", and so I called up the Geocaching.com iPhone app and away we went, taking all our kids with us.

We went to the first site, and the 7 of us looked for nearly 30 minutes and did not find it.

We went to the second site and same story.

Same with the third and fourth.

By the time we had visited no less than 6 Geochaching sites and not finding the cache in any of them, we came back home.

Needless to say my friend was not very impressed, and our kids were all tired.

My iPhone GPS is great, it works like a charm. We found the general area of the caches, but once there the hints were so vague, the descriptions so lacking in real helpful information that we simply could not find them.

I'm sure it is me. I am not blaming anyone. I see that others find caches. All I'm saying is that if newbies cannot find caches they will not be interested in this sport.

Why can't the descriptions be specific and the hints actually help? After all, we have navigated to the site, which is half the fun. Why can't we find them once we get there?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to how to actually find these things?

I'm open to hearing!

I am sorry you had a bad day looking for caches. I once a couple years ago looked for one for nearly 40 minutes and never found it. But for it to happen with 6 in a row doesn't seem right. I don't know which ones you looked for or what the clues were. I also have never used the iPhone app. and am not familiar with it. You may want to check to make sure the application is set up properly. Have you checked to make sure it is accurate within so many feet? Please don't give up on account of a bad day. Wishing you better adventures to come. I hope with you that this will be the worst day you'll ever have Geocaching. Good luck. Mike

A repeated message you'll hear from the veteran cachers to frustrated newcomers is to start with low difficulty / small-large caches. It also wouldn't hurt to meetup with some local cachers so they can show you the ropes. When selecting your caches look for those that are tagged "kid friendly". Also, check the logs and look for caches that have a lot of recent finds and only a few DNFs.

Don't give up, we wouldn't want this sport to die :anicute: , heck I just got started myself. ;) BTW, I went 15/15 just using my iPhone 3GS. Loved it so much, I bought my daughter a geomate jr. and myself an Oregon 550t. After all I invested, this sport, it better not die. :laughing: Actually, not a chance, if anything it appears to be experiencing a big growth spurt!

Edited by dcarbone

This sport has been around for several years, I think if it was going to die it would have already. I for one hope that it doesn't, retired people have such an advantage in this game, but that's like 40 years from now for me. I hope that it is still around then, maybe they'll be a cache on the moon by then, ya never know.

Why can't the descriptions be specific and the hints actually help? After all, we have navigated to the site, which is half the fun. Why can't we find them once we get there?

But actually finding the cache is the other half, and I'd rather not see it ruined by taking down to the lowest common denominator.

The most likely problem is that you were attempting caches that, right now, are over your experience level. Stay away from small and micro size caches. Check the logs to see if they've been found recently. If you can't find a cache, read the logs of other finders for clues. Re-read the cache title - that's often the best hint.

Don't give up. I just started a couple weeks ago and I have had a couple so far that made me angry because couldn't find them when others have recently. A couple I have found have been hidden very well. You have to look for things out of place. Look for signs of high traffic like weeds kicked over,

One cache I found looked like a log laying on the ground and the only thing that gave it away was a very small braided wire attached to it that was attached to a carrying handle. The end of the log was sawed off and reattached with a screw after the inside of the log was hollowed out to hide the cache. It looked like it belonged there. Had I not seen the small wire I would have never found it. But then again, it was a log that was sawed with a chainsaw in the middle of woods that have never seen a chainsaw - so I should have actually noticed it right away. But it somehow looked natural sitting there.

Try some around town. I don't know how it is there, but light poles in parking lots here seem to be favorite spots. The cover around the base lifts up to expose the bolts holding the pole to the concrete base and makes a good hiding spot.

So don't give up.

Edited by 2FastLX

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic and on a metalic surface or others are attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is (your error plus any hiders errors). Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

I understand your frustration. We've had a few DNFs that drove us nuts.

What you have control over here is your approach to looking for caches. As mentioned, start with easier caches. Look at the descriptions, hints, and logs before you ever even go out to get an idea of how much support they will give you. Spend some time looking through the most current few pages of this section of the forum. There are lots of threads about finding caches that are packed with helpful suggestions. Geocaching requires a new way of looking at things. Experience will help with this, but so can the tips and hints you'll find laying around here.

Keep at it!

Sometimes when you follow the river, you will find shallow places near the edge of the water where it flows into a certain area and because of the shape of the ground, for just a bit, the water will flow backwards in relation to the rest of the river. That's a DNF. If you find yourself in a spot where the water is not flowing with the main current of the river, then go somewhere else and you may find the main current of the river. The popularity of geocaching IS growing exponentially, despite DNFs here and there.

-cantuland

....away we went, taking all our kids with us.

A day out with friends and the kids? Sounds like a great day to me :lol:

In all seriousness though, I typically get EPE's in the 50-60 foot range on my iPhone in urban settings, so I consider it a minor miracle if I can find anything without the aid of a total spoiler Hint to go by :P

1. Make sure your iPhone is "speaking the same language" as the CO's coordinates. I know my hubby had to do something to our TomTom to make it search for the N&W coordinates properly. There are different types of navigation. Make sure your iPhone is searching properly. (I know you said that it got you to GZ just fine, but you don't REALLY know that 100% unless you checked the satellite maps ahead of time or actually found the cache) You may discover that you need a more accurate GPSr.

2. Choose easy ones to start out - level 1 or 2 difficulty at the most. And don't think we haven't been stumped by some of these "easy" ones, too. We've got a few 1 and 2 difficulty caches that we've had to DNF, but it does increase your odds.

3. Check the satellite hybrid on Google maps before you head out. That will give you an idea of the terrain you're heading into and look for some landmarks that let you know that your iPhone is, indeed, sending you to the right area.

4. Learn to use your "geo-sense" - this is the tough part and it's something that gets developed better the more you practice. Some of the cache containers are tiny, camouflaged, and very well hidden. That's a good thing because it's what makes the hunt exciting and the find rewarding. We went out yesterday in the woods and found 3 caches we never would have been able to find a few weeks ago when we first started. We're starting to think like geocachers.

5. Especially if you're bringing the kiddos or a friend with you that you want to expose to the fun of geocaching, have at least 1 or 2 super easy caches in your itinerary in case the others go sour. Quick P&G, LPC, and phone-a-friend caches are almost always a successful find and can add a sense of accomplishment to an otherwise unsuccessful caching day.

Don't give up! The more you do this, the better you'll get at it! And it really is a lot more fun when you triumph over a tricky clue and find something that was practically invisible. :P

-K

Edited by hudsonfam

The first 10 caches are the hardest to find because you don't know what you're looking for yet. You've found 5 so far, so you're on your way.

I looked and looked but did a DNF on my first two searches. I was about to give up on the third when I spotted the edge of a blue lid through the knot of a tree trunk. I never suspected that a cache could be hidden so!

Perhaps my biggest mistake was believing that the GPSr takes you to the cache. IT DOESN'T!!!! It just puts you in the VICINITY of the cache, and that's where you BEGIN your search. The cache might be there, or it might be 10, 20, 30, 40 or more feet away in any direction. It might be in the open, or under something, or inside something, or in the branches of a tree, or suspending waaaay above your head!

And believe it or not, the time will come when you'll be DISAPPOINTED at finding a cache too quickly!

Keep looking. Read the logs and search for easier, larger finds.

Good luck, and happy geocaching!

Edited by michigansnorkelers

If you look at what would be a fundamentally pure Geocache it would be a box, a logbook, and a set of coordinates only. That's it. No hint. No directions on how to get there. Just a set of coordinates. You seek the box with the technology of the Global Positioning System. That's the whole of it.

The joy of it is using the technology to find an object at the coordinate, and more importantly, the journey there, and the adventures that brings.

Do we disappoint ourselves by expecting too much assistance in our game and always demanding guaranteed success?

Are we missing the point of the challenge, the journey there, and the rewards that are inherent unguaranteed success.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f2-de4584bb5bad

This cache was un found by one of our areas most prodigious cachers,(that would not be me) :P although I also had a dnf. So we formed a group hike and went out for it again, it was found, but the real treat was in the fun of the hike and hunt, and as long as there is a hike, a hunt and good company, this sport will not only not die, but thrive.

BTW, the man who has a ton of finds, E Mailed me and I know he will go for it again, it is not always about the find, sometimes it is also the search and the place.

Being relativley new to this hobby, I have learned a couple things:

What you can't find one day can be a simple find another day. Being very rural, I quickly found everything "local", so I had to plan a drive for my hunts. I made a special 20 mile hunting trip to a nearby town for a "cluster" of four caches and came away with four DNF's. Very frustrating for a newbie! After reading the info for the caches, I returned for a second attempt and went 3 for 4 and all 3 were quick finds. The fourth appears to be and remains a cache poorly maintained and not close at all to the posted co-ordinates. At least for me, it seems some days your gpsr, your eyes, or your geosenses have taken the day off for some reason.

What is easy to some cachers can be difficult to others, regardless of experience. I used to feel like making a find was my problem due to my lack of experience and the fact that I always hunt alone. Then I made a quick grab on a cache (within a couple minutes of arriving) which the previous logs showed DNF's for a group of experienced cachers (3 with 800 - 1200 finds each) saying they gave it a good look, but were not able to make the find. What a boost to fair better then others far more experienced!

Don't feel bad about logging your DNF's! I recently hit find #100 and had a specific idea for my "coundown to 100" with a specific group of 5 caches by a specific co. I was only able to find 1 of the first 4, putting an end to my well made plans and I fell a couple short of hitting 100. I logged the DNF's and was soon notified by the co that all 3 DNF's were gone! I have no problem at all with my DNF being the final entry for an archived cache and I feel good that by recording my DNF I saved many future hunters the time chasing a missing cache.

Sorry for the wordy response, but if it helps the op or others with similar experience, it will be worth the space. Enjoy the hunt, rejoice in the successes and experiences, and record all activity and the hobby will benefit for all participants.

Don't feel bad about logging your DNF's! I recently hit find #100 and had a specific idea for my "coundown to 100" with a specific group of 5 caches by a specific co. I was only able to find 1 of the first 4, putting an end to my well made plans and I fell a couple short of hitting 100. I logged the DNF's and was soon notified by the co that all 3 DNF's were gone! I have no problem at all with my DNF being the final entry for an archived cache and I feel good that by recording my DNF I saved many future hunters the time chasing a missing cache.

Good advice! I would go a bit further. Embrace your DNFs for the adventure they are. Some of my best days have been in searches where we ended up with a DNF. Also, the find is sweeter after a few DNFs.

Carolyn

i have an iphone and etrex and use both when we are out. i try for the long distance between caches to use the etrex even through the garmin site doesnt have all the sites on it (meaning programming the missing ones by hand). When we get near the cache i will fire up the iphone so we can get the hint if needed and use the google map to see what we are looking at. Ive found both devices to be equal, where etrex might get the co ordinates much better than the iphone, but others its the opposite way round.

Today we did 40 ish and had 6 we couldnt find. Yesterday about 25 and had about 4 we couldnt find. Yes some could have been muggled, but a few yesterday the co ordintates given were wrong and other finders had pointed this out. A brand new one which had us searching in the car park and not the grass area behind it of which we did do and have since been told by another geocacher that if we looked 4 metres further and 1 metre into the bush we would have got it, but after seeing evidence of drug use there i didnt really want to drag my hands through bushes.

Dont give up, put it down to a bad day, find another weekend and have another go and try some that are not in wooded or tall building area so you have better reception etc. Ask to see which geocachers are local to you and see if they can recommend some easyish ones and try again.

Good luck hope things get better for you!!

From a new cacher (3 weeks old lol)

I have a couple questions...do we want EVERYone running around doing this? Can the sport

get over saturated with cachers? Just curious! I know when too many got in on the Sportbike

bandwagon, there are/were a select few that don't/didn't respect the unwrittens, and it gave

a bad name for many riders today. Thats what I am trying to understand. Can something

happen like that in this sport/hobby?

Edited by tbj28

I have a couple questions...do we want EVERYone running around doing this? Can the sport

get over saturated with cachers? Just curious! I know when too many got in on the Sportbike

bandwagon, there are/were a select few that don't/didn't respect the unwrittens, and it gave

a bad name for many riders today. Thats what I am trying to understand. Can something

happen like that in this sport/hobby?

That's a really good question, but I wouldn't want to hijack the original poster's thread. Would you mind re-posting this as a new discussion? I would love to see what others think.

And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion..........hehe :(

Don't look at a DNF as a failure. If you spend 3 minutes and find a cache, you've learned 1 new place a cache could be. If you spend 30 minutes looking (wshether you DNF or not) you've probab ly also discovered 20 or 30 places it COULD have been. Some of mt most rewardcing finds were the 2nd or 3rd trip out. If its not fun go do somethig else and come back to it another day.

As a relative newbie that has hit 100+ finds there have been days where DNF's outnumbered hits. I have a tremendous advantage in that I am hunting in fertile urban fields. The Chicago landscape leans to the denigrated micros, nanos and LampPostCaches but they are much easier to find with decent co-ords. Even with the interference of the structures thruout the city my GPSr can usually put me with from 12ft to 30ft accuracy and I will admit to always taking the hint. Since I do not depend on having all this info gathered on site I have to write them down in my traveling papers so I have the time to check location, size, difficulty ratings and read a few logs to see what I'm getting myself into.

I have a much better results when I've read up and very good results if I've gone to the USGS topo maps for a good look before hitting the road.

I have always believed good use of your reference mateial makes the job easier.

At times there are caches that will not be found first time out, be it foot traffic (dern muggles), lighting conditions (night search, clouds and the like) or just plain cache blindness but as I see more caches I find my cache eyesight gets better, my minds eye and understanding of cache size to hiding potential improves and a more relaxed approach all these things make it easier and more ...or at least less frustrating.

Jeff

The Chicagoan

My iPhone GPS is great, it works like a charm. We found the general area of the caches, but once there the hints were so vague, the descriptions so lacking in real helpful information that we simply could not find them.

The GPS in the iPhone is handy, but it is not all that accurate. Relying on it can be frustrating as you found out.

Most people I know use the iPhone for its capability to display the cache page and use a dedicated hand held GPS for cache hunting.

Found our first cache Yesterday made all more rewarding by the fact we used a map and compass only ,not saved the cash for a GPS yet ,Had a nice walk through a local beauty spot and the kids had a great day out, Tried in Vain to locate a nearby cache on a Mountain top weather was a little too wild to search for any lenth of time.Well get it next time of out later to find a few caches local to us no GPS just a map compass and a good look at the area on Google maps before we go.

Dont give up and Happy Cacheing

Greetings,

We have not geocached in awhile, and today a friend was visiting and the subject came up, and this friend did not know what geocaching was. I said, "it's really fun, let's go do some", and so I called up the Geocaching.com iPhone app and away we went, taking all our kids with us.

We went to the first site, and the 7 of us looked for nearly 30 minutes and did not find it.

By the time we had visited no less than 6 Geochaching sites and not finding the cache in any of them, we came back home.

I'm sure it is me. I am not blaming anyone. I see that others find caches. All I'm saying is that if newbies cannot find caches they will not be interested in this sport.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to how to actually find these things?

I'm open to hearing!

Hello Friend,

Assuning "it's you" as you said, perhaps you don't have what it takes :-) No, I'm not offending you, saying you are not a smart dude. Thing is along my life I noticed that some people are just not good at all in certain things. In my local community I know geocachers who fail to find the easiest caches one can imagine. In the other hand, some rookies come and find ultra complicated caches and say it was easy. Oh... and Iphones as well as any other devices other than handheld GPS units will not help someone who's not exceptionally good at this game.

Don't look at a DNF as a failure. If you spend 3 minutes and find a cache, you've learned 1 new place a cache could be. If you spend 30 minutes looking (wshether you DNF or not) you've probab ly also discovered 20 or 30 places it COULD have been. Some of mt most rewardcing finds were the 2nd or 3rd trip out. If its not fun go do somethig else and come back to it another day.

This is a well known position which I don't subcribe as it is. Frustration is a human emotion and will survive all nice theories like this. Some individuals have a good and kind heart and can go through a DNF with no negative feelings. Some others gain this ability with experience (I'm almost reaching this point as I only feel frustration in some cases now). But generally speaking a DNF means negative emotions. Yeah, great, the place was nice but... we went there for something and we didn't accomplish it. Besides... for simple romanting findings, there is Waymarking.com.

Ricardo

Edited by Torgut

The GPS in the iPhone is handy, but it is not all that accurate. Relying on it can be frustrating as you found out.

Most people I know use the iPhone for its capability to display the cache page and use a dedicated hand held GPS for cache hunting.

Yes, instead of using something that "works like a charm", he needs something that works like a GPS. :(

This is a well known position which I don't subcribe as it is. Frustration is a human emotion and will survive all nice theories like this. Some individuals have a good and kind heart and can go through a DNF with no negative feelings. Some others gain this ability with experience (I'm almost reaching this point as I only feel frustration in some cases now). But generally speaking a DNF means negative emotions. Yeah, great, the place was nice but... we went there for something and we didn't accomplish it. Besides... for simple romanting findings, there is Waymarking.com.

Ricardo

I don't think it has as much to do with a kind heart than it does with how you think about geocaching. I think it depends on what your goal is, what game you are playing within geocaching. For example, I feel no frustration when I don't get a FTF because that's not part of the interior game I'm playing. But one of the true FTF hounds might feel quite frustrated at that failure to be first.

As a newbie, it has been incredibly useful to me to try out the various games people play within geocaching (FTF, Numbers Runs, High Terrain collectors, etc.) and to figure out what my interior game is. I want the story. I want something I can write up in my log as an adventure or funny story. I want photos that are beautiful or unusual.

Last weekend we DNF'd one cache and found two others. I was pretty excited by the first DNF because it was attached to an adventure and the coordinates led us to a good place to photograph. I had something to write about! The other two caches were less exciting, even though we found them. I got good photos from all three, so overall the day was a win for me.

Had we found three unexceptional hides with no adventure and scant photo opportunities, I would have been frustrated because I would be failing at my personal game.

Carolyn

First, get a real GPS receiver. An iPhone is good for information, but it's not nearly accurate enough.

Second, why didn't you take them to caches you had already found? If you're trying to show someone 'the ropes', it's better to actually have them find a cache and the only way to do that is to know where it is.

I don't think it has as much to do with a kind heart than it does with how you think about geocaching. I think it depends on what your goal is, what game you are playing within geocaching. For example, I feel no frustration when I don't get a FTF because that's not part of the interior game I'm playing. But one of the true FTF hounds might feel quite frustrated at that failure to be first.

As a newbie, it has been incredibly useful to me to try out the various games people play within geocaching (FTF, Numbers Runs, High Terrain collectors, etc.) and to figure out what my interior game is. I want the story. I want something I can write up in my log as an adventure or funny story. I want photos that are beautiful or unusual.

Last weekend we DNF'd one cache and found two others. I was pretty excited by the first DNF because it was attached to an adventure and the coordinates led us to a good place to photograph. I had something to write about! The other two caches were less exciting, even though we found them. I got good photos from all three, so overall the day was a win for me.

Had we found three unexceptional hides with no adventure and scant photo opportunities, I would have been frustrated because I would be failing at my personal game.

Carolyn

Nice post but I think there is something you have to consider: finding the cache is the core of Geocaching. FTF's, maximum caches in a day, adding coins logos and etc are indeed paralel "games" and what is important to one fellow is not to the next one. But, finding - or in the case, not finding - is really what all this is about. If not, why are you into Geocaching in first place, why not Waymarking? Of course, each of us will associate a personal style or motivation to his Geocaching. In your case is the story, the photos... but still, finding it is the heart of the whole thing. Anyway... if you are enjoying, that's what it matters.

First, get a real GPS receiver. An iPhone is good for information, but it's not nearly accurate enough.
I've found several using the GPSr built into my G1 (Android phone), which is probably similar to the receivers built into the iPhone and other smartphones. They aren't as good as the high-sensitivity receivers built into modern hand-held GPS units, but they're probably at least as good as the basic yellow eTrex many people have been using for years. I wouldn't want to hold a phone in my hand when hiking over rugged terrain, but for short walks along paved/groomed paths, they're fine.

Second, why didn't you take them to caches you had already found? If you're trying to show someone 'the ropes', it's better to actually have them find a cache and the only way to do that is to know where it is.

I do have to agree with this comment though. When I introduce people to geocaching, I try to start with a cache or two that I've already found. If I can't do that, then I research the caches in advance to make sure that they are easy, that they are relatively large (no micros!), and that they have been found recently. As much as I love the challenge of a new 4-star micro-cache, I wouldn't introduce geocaching to novices with one.
Nice post but I think there is something you have to consider: finding the cache is the core of Geocaching. FTF's, maximum caches in a day, adding coins logos and etc are indeed paralel "games" and what is important to one fellow is not to the next one. But, finding - or in the case, not finding - is really what all this is about. If not, why are you into Geocaching in first place, why not Waymarking? .

Finding the cache might be the core of geocaching to you, but it isn't to me. My DNF list includes a cache that is a grueling 12 mile hike. I probably would have never visited the beautiful area but for the cache and it is one of the finest geocaching experiences that I've had to date - even with the DNF. It's not the signing of the log that is the core of the game to me, it's the adventure.

I am into Waymarking as well. It also brings me to cool places, but waymarks are neatly arranged in categories which removes much of the element of surprise. Geocaches on the other hand don't need to be categorized outside size, difficulty and terrain levels.

Edited by briansnat

Nice post but I think there is something you have to consider: finding the cache is the core of Geocaching. FTF's, maximum caches in a day, adding coins logos and etc are indeed paralel "games" and what is important to one fellow is not to the next one. But, finding - or in the case, not finding - is really what all this is about. If not, why are you into Geocaching in first place, why not Waymarking? Of course, each of us will associate a personal style or motivation to his Geocaching. In your case is the story, the photos... but still, finding it is the heart of the whole thing. Anyway... if you are enjoying, that's what it matters.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that searching (rather than finding or not finding) is the core of the game? You are right that the searching for something differentiates it from Waymarking or just taking a nice hike. (Of course this still makes the virtual caches and earth caches something apart.)

I also think that it is important for people brand new to geocaching to find at least a few of the geocaches they look for. I don't think you can go to the next stage of the game (which is figuring out what the next stage of the game is for you) without finding caches. But once a new cacher has found his first 25-50 caches, he should begin to have a feel for what has meaning for him as an individual. From there, what causes disappointment or frustration is defined within that person based on his individual goals and the meaning geocaching has for him.

Carolyn

My DNF list includes a cache that is a grueling 12 mile hike. I probably would have never visited the beautiful area but for the cache and it is one of the finest geocaching experiences that I've had to date - even with the DNF. It's not the signing of the log that is the core of the game to me, it's the adventure.

I really loved reading the logs you linked to and seeing the photos.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

Since geocaching is really in its infancy, the potential problems will only be exacerbated as time passes and/or the sport increases in popularity. As advocates of geochaching we should promote the evolution of the sport to use 21st century technology and the internet to have the "treasure" be the coordinates and then a photo shared via a geocaching networking site. It is a shame that virtual caches have been relegated to figurative garbage pile, and the Waymarking requires some "unique" location. Instead, we should be promoting Waymarking as the future of geocaching. Maps and virtual trinkets (gifs?) can be shared/displayed. This would eliminate the future problem of too many boxes out in the woods as well as the eventual abandonment of the caches by those creators who no longer participate and the caches which have disappeared. Virtual caches eliminate the "disappearing caches", the abandoned ones, issues with LNT, does not violate any regulations in wilderness areas, etc... This idea could make a fortune for someone if they were to set up a good social networking site for the virtual caches (and promote it as the future of geocaching). Send me check when you make a million $ on it! I cannot defend the concept of CITO; to me it is simply a semantic way to justify leaving something out there which I shouldn't. It is no different than me stashing a canoe or other gear for my own personal (or friends) use on public property. Regardless if I pick up garbage on my way in/out, I shouldn't be leaving stuff out in the woods regardless if I or others plan to be using it at some indefinite point in the future.

Found our first cache today using an iPhone 3GS, it took about 30 minutes to find the container that was suitably hidden in the base of a tree, I think we have got the bug already and have purchased a premium membership on returning home, the iPhone app worked really well and was reasonably accurate, it would be nice if when searching for a cache the direction of travel was displayed, it can get a bit confusing trying to work out which way to walk when homing in on the cache.

Found our first cache today using an iPhone 3GS, it took about 30 minutes to find the container that was suitably hidden in the base of a tree, I think we have got the bug already and have purchased a premium membership on returning home, the iPhone app worked really well and was reasonably accurate, it would be nice if when searching for a cache the direction of travel was displayed, it can get a bit confusing trying to work out which way to walk when homing in on the cache.

Hello fellow newbies.

Without rehashing what has already been said I just want to say that I to have had a couple return trips to areas and found them the second time. Most the time my daughter and I are just looking to hard. Stomping around in the deep brush when it's right in front of us.

I use my Blackberry and have noticed that the compass rose doesn't keep up well. To remedy that I'm going out and buying an old fashion compass so I make sure my BB is truely pointing north.

I love that fact that everyday I come home from work, my six year old daughter greats me with "Can we go geo hunting daddy!"

Actually, I would be inclined to argue that a certain level of difficulty is likely to keep away a certain number of people that want the rewards too easily and quickly. Making it too easy is going to overrun the sport.

Finding the cache is half the fun. The other half is getting out into the word and being in a place you might not have been before or would have thought was a place available to hike and experience.

We've had to make a couple of trips to the same location a few times now. We're still trying to get the hang of this but it's fun. Today we were 2 for 4 and we got to go hiking in a couple of places we never would have thought about walking.

Came back and decrypted the hints and we'll make another trip out there sometime. One of the two we found today was our second trip too.

All in all..... Good family fun.

I have been geocaching since 2004 and have quite a few finds under my belt. I tend to go out infrequently, but rack up big numbers in spurts. I went on a caching trip with my father two weeks ago, and got nearly as many DNFs as Fs. It was pretty frustrating, but sometimes you get those days. I report all of my DNFs because that might be info that future seekers and the owner of the cache might need to know.

Greetings,

I'm open to hearing!

I started geocaching again after a seven year lay off. Many of my searches have ended in complete frustration. My GPS is only so accurate, and after that persistence pays off - usually. I did a cache today that was obviously in a rock strewn hillside. How many rocks and crevices must I look under to be successful? It just got boring and tedious, so I gave up. Put yourself in the shoes of some one with a GPS that is accurate to 30 feet when you hide a cache.

I started geocaching again after a seven year lay off. Many of my searches have ended in complete frustration. My GPS is only so accurate, and after that persistence pays off - usually. I did a cache today that was obviously in a rock strewn hillside. How many rocks and crevices must I look under to be successful? It just got boring and tedious, so I gave up. Put yourself in the shoes of some one with a GPS that is accurate to 30 feet when you hide a cache.

Sadly some folks see such a thing as a "challenge" to overcome. If I am not having fun during the hunt - it is time to go find another one. However, I understand that somebody somewhere must like to go out after such things.

I cache to be taken to new and interesting places, to learn something. I don't really care to turn over 200 rocks looking for the 1 with a cache under it.

We've just started geocaching. I'm starting to get to grips with the gps (just). We find the area ok but when it comes to finding the container I have to say I'm hopeless. I had hoped to try going out with a few people from my area to show us the ropes, but they don't seem to want that. One of the cache we went for the clue was "look up the hill and watch out for the thorns" Looking up the hill there must be nearly 100 hawthorn bushes, some of them have less thorns than they did because they are embedded in me :unsure: Now, I know its me that's going wrong but if someone had taken time to show us the ropes I'm sure we would have enjoyed the whole thing more. I had hoped this would be something we'd all enjoy and I'm wanting to keep my daughter interested in it.

After trying to get help to get us started and getting nowhere I've decided to buy either the dummies guide or idiots guide to help us get started, but if veterans could take the time I'm know newbies like me would really appriciate it.

After trying to get help to get us started and getting nowhere...

You asked for help in the GPS & Technology forum here, and were advised to ask for help in the UK section of the forums (which is here).

You haven't yet actually asked for help in the UK forum, or in the NW forum , so it is a bit harsh to say no one will help, surely? :unsure:

...if veterans could take the time I'm know newbies like me would really appriciate it.

If you ask on the UK forum, someone will help. If you ask on the NW cachers forum, someone will help.

The best advice I can offer is to follow what Munkeh told you - there is an event cache (which is where cachers meet up to chat, drink, eat and tell tall tales) near you on 12 September in Kenton Bank Foot (see here) and this would be an excellent opportunity to meet people and ask for help.

If you ask, they will help - if you don't, they can't!

Best of luck,

Mike ;)