good dual purpose (hiking/driving) GPS?

ucdcrush

Hi everyone. I have owned a Garmin Venture CX for several years now, and have used Metroguide NA on it, and have really loved the GPS and it's features. I could use it as a driving GPS, by punching in an address, and also use it for hiking.

Last week, when I went to turn it on, nothing. No life. I have googled extensively and not found any way of pressing/holding anything that will bring it back to life, I've tried hooking up through USB, various different batteries, etc.. nothing.

So at this point I'm looking to replace it (but if you have a secret way of bringing it back to life please let me know!) and, given the fact that this Garmin is the ONLY electronic gizmo I can remember that has simply died without known cause (dropping, human caused electrical issue etc.) -- and I have my fair share of electronic gizmos -- I am seeing if I can steer clear of Garmin for my next GPS. If not maybe I'll just roll the dice on a newer model that I can load Metroguide NA on to.

Can anyone recommend a (non Garmin) handheld (err, hiking/geocaching oriented) GPS unit that operates on regular batteries, can do autorouting (without hooking it to a computer), and either has built in or purchasable driving-quality maps? I looked at the Delorme models, but people say the driving routing features are not great. Thank you for any input.

Bummer on the unit going dead on you. Hate you had a bad Garmin experience.

Since you already own Metroguide NA you could consider staying with Garmin and going with an Oregon 200 (or 300). They provide a nice touch screen interface that's easy to use in the car.

You can also use your Metroguide maps as routable maps by doing a quick conversion using a free program called Metrowizzz making them device routable (I'm using this solution on my Oregon 400t for routing).

I love my Oregon but also understand having a bad taste on a Garmin. I wish I had some recommendations for bringing your Venture back to life.

There are lots of other handhelds out there that could probably do the same. Maybe someone with some knowledge on the PN-20 will show up and let you know if it would fit your bill.

I own a DeLorme PN-40, which has better road routing than the PN-20. I don't think anybody would really recommend the PN-20 for road use, since road routing was notoriously slow.

I have used the PN-40 for occasional road routing. The plus side is that the routable maps come with the unit -- no extra charge. The down side is that you get what you pay for :laughing: The concensus seems to be that the map data and routing algorithms are not as good as Garmin City Navigator (which, of course, costs extra). It still routes fairly slowly and tends to have difficulty re-routing if you stray. As with all handhelds, it lacks spoken directions and is not exactly easy to see on the dash due due display size (brightness and contrast is fine). Presumably that's not an issue for you since you've been using a handheld.

My take is that it's OK for occasional use, but definitely not competition for an automotive unit. Hopefully, some of the folks who can compare it directly with the PN-20 (and who have more road routing experience than I) will chip in with more information.

I own a DeLorme PN-40, which has better road routing than the PN-20. I don't think anybody would really recommend the PN-20 for road use, since road routing was notoriously slow.

I have used the PN-40 for occasional road routing. The plus side is that the routable maps come with the unit -- no extra charge. The down side is that you get what you pay for :laughing: The concensus seems to be that the map data and routing algorithms are not as good as Garmin City Navigator (which, of course, costs extra). It still routes fairly slowly and tends to have difficulty re-routing if you stray. As with all handhelds, it lacks spoken directions and is not exactly easy to see on the dash due due display size (brightness and contrast is fine). Presumably that's not an issue for you since you've been using a handheld.

My take is that it's OK for occasional use, but definitely not competition for an automotive unit. Hopefully, some of the folks who can compare it directly with the PN-20 (and who have more road routing experience than I) will chip in with more information.

Yeh. It's very substandard. If there was premium option to upgrade plus UI changes to go along with that it would be a great option.

OP: Did you call garmin about a replacement unit? Sometimes they cut good deal with long term customers.

Yeh. It's very substandard. If there was premium option to upgrade plus UI changes to go along with that it would be a great option.

OP: Did you call garmin about a replacement unit? Sometimes they cut good deal with long term customers.

I have not called them.. I only read online about long wait times so I didn't figure I'd get satisfaction, but I will try that. It looks like to get what I'd need again, I'd just get another Venture CX! I may just wait till the Dakota comes out and look at that, as long as I could use Metrowizz with it..

I have not called them.. I only read online about long wait times so I didn't figure I'd get satisfaction, but I will try that. It looks like to get what I'd need again, I'd just get another Venture CX! I may just wait till the Dakota comes out and look at that, as long as I could use Metrowizz with it..

Unsolicited advice, but here goes :laughing: I'd consider a Garmin with an "H" chip... eg Venture HCX. The difference in increased reception is amazing. And you could use metrowizz on it.

Unsolicited advice, but here goes :laughing: I'd consider a Garmin with an "H" chip... eg Venture HCX. The difference in increased reception is amazing. And you could use metrowizz on it.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered a Vista HCX to get that fancy high sensitivity thing.

I had actually placed an order for a Venture HC (there is no HCX) and on another thread on Groundspeak, I read that it had no microSD card slot which I just assumed it did. Phew, canceled that and got the Vista HCX.

Does anyone know if I can just put the microSD card direct from my Venture CX into the Vista HCX? The one I had in my dead Venture CX had the Metroguide/Metrowizz map on it..