New Geocaching GPSr, how to streamline the computer-work?

For two days I recieved my Oregon 300. Great amount of functions, especially the Geocaching feature is nice.

But, I'd like to streamline the work spend on the computer. GSAK is a great tool, but I haven't found the right combination of filters and macros yet. But I'm not sure if they even exist. Maybe I'm the first one with these special wishes? Won't be the first time :laughing:

I'd like to have only caches in the Oregon which I can go to without much trouble: traditionals, multis without pics, solved multis/mysteries with corrected coordinates. Found caches should be removed after being synced to GSAK/geocaching.com.

I have found a macro that moves found caches in its own database: great, for the statistic-macro :-)

I can edit caches in GSAK and enter corrected coordinates. Good for mysteries and multicaches which I have solved at home.

the following three kinds of caches I'd like to sync to my Oregon: (all within a certain area/along a route/in a city, state or country. As usual...)

* Traditionals.

* Multis and Mysteries without pictures. Since the Oregon can't display pics in the caches, those with pics are unnecessary on the device. The Multis/Mysteries without pics can (theoretically :-)) be done in the field.

* Solved Multis and mysteries: the caches with corrected coordinates. If I solved a cache, it can go on the GPSr, even if it has pics in it: the endcoordinates are what count now.

* NO found caches on the Oregon after I logged them in GSAK or (better) geocaching.com. I live in a large city, and I'd like to declutter the screen...

Does someone have a macro/filter or combination thereof?

Thanks in advance!

Good questions. Don't forget the GSAK support forum as well.

Some comments: You can use the special My Finds PQ to populate your "Finds database" as well.

Using straight forward filters, you can easily set a filter for unfound traditionals or unfound mystery caches with corrected co-ordinates only... not sure how you would combine those filters.

Cache listings without pictures..well, the mysteries+pic would be moot as you had already filtered out mysteries that were unsolved (no corrected co-ordinates) , but multis without pictures .. toughie without a macro to interrogate the html. I must admit I have never yet found a multi that required images on the page to solve, but I am sure they exist.

Good questions. Don't forget the GSAK support forum as well.

I'll have to register there. At the moment, I'd rather not. I don't like to be registered at a zillion different sites. On the other hand, maybe I'll will, after I tested and registered GSAK properly...

Using straight forward filters, you can easily set a filter for unfound traditionals or unfound mystery caches with corrected co-ordinates only... not sure how you would combine those filters.

I solved that one in between: I made a filter 'unfound with corrected coords', and use the 'export to Oregon' macro to only put those caches on the Oregon. After that, I use the 'tradi'-filter and do the same. So I get two GPX-files on the GPSr.

Cache listings without pictures.. toughie without a macro to interrogate the html. I must admit I have never yet found a multi that required images on the page to solve, but I am sure they exist.

I have made me a filter 'no pics', based on the string 'No Pics' which I put manually in a userfield. :-) With the same method as before, I end up with a third GPX.

As for multis with pics: there are sometime pics on the pages which are not necessary to solve, and sometimes they are.

An extreme example here in Vienna: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1J0F0 (I'll have to do that one after it gets enabled again. Should be fun with my son!)

Another one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCJGVT and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC11KRJ has a gif-table in it. I'll have to get a piece of paper with me anyway, if I'm going for that. Other ones, without significant pics, I can do paperless: I'll just use my cell phone for taking notes...

Thanks for the help!

For what it's worth, streamlining is very difficult to do. You see, different software has different capabilities, and features that you just won't find on any one particular package.

Example:

I work with my Garmin Topo because it is most compatible with my Etrex Vista HCx. But when I want to view a track in 3D I like to use my DeLorme Topo software, because it is feature packed (steep learning curve) and has beautiful detail. However, in order for the DeLorme to accept my Garmin tracks, I usually need to load the tracks on yet another application Easy GPS. Easy GPS is useful when I am sharing my tracks and waypoints amongst my Magellan Triton 300, Topo software, and Garmin GPS. When I am doing trail research, the best software I have found is the National Geographic TOPO software, which I believe to be best for planning since trail data is more complete.

So you see, IMHO there is not much room for streamlining, since I am considering more mapping software as I write this. Perhaps there is hope for me yet!