Rassa frassin' Forest Fires!

We have another raging fire tearing through our beautiful forests and open land. Of course a few caches will go with the trees and grasses. Some may be salvageable, others maybe not so fortunate.

Last week I was up the coast along the area which is burning now. It's a beautiful coast and now its going to be barren and likely off limits for caching while the land recovers.

Any tales of peoples caches surviving fires?

That's unfortunate for geocachers in the area but forest fires are actually good for the environment. They promote new growth.

http://www.answers.com/topic/in-what-way-c...the-environment

That's always such a tough pill to take, though when people are displaced, wildlife is displaced or killed, and erosion generally sets in as the topsoil is actually quite thin after a fire (all the needles, bark, and other useful cache cover is now ash on the ground or carried away by the air.)

Here's a view from the direction of TLK's memory cache GC1ANY4, looking toward Waiting on old 54 GC1WZMY, after sunset, about 20 minutes ago. (About 20 miles from the fire)

lh_smoke.jpg

Yup, We have lost quite a few caches the last two years here in Santa Barbara. The Gap Fire, the Tea Fire, and the Jesusita Fire have burned a majority of the "front country" here, including hundreds of homes.

Depending on how hot the fire went through, some caches survive, some are toasted, and some are literally vaporized. I own an adopted one at the top of mountains that half melted: Log with Pix

Another Old local one "Tucker's Trove" got *really* hot, and the 50 cal ammo can blew open See pix in this log. As it turns out, I have adopted this one too! Amazingly, the log BOOK contents are 90% intact (but very fragile), and I am scanning them in and will print out & make a new logbook including them. Note the emphasis on BOOK. Not many "TFTC"s in this one! Well worth saving and sharing.

10da1696-5780-4b92-ae47-71d6f6de6c5d.jpg