(NOT!) Stolen Geocoin By Member

chrgis&j

What can be done to a member that takes a geocoin and keeps it?

A member took my geocoin July 5th and hasn't placed it anywhere yet.

Is this common?

My niece and nephew are waiting for it to get close to them. They are 2500 miles from me and the members are not moving it!

:rolleyes::D:D

Is this common?

My niece and nephew are waiting for it to get close to them. They are 2500 miles from me and the members are not moving it!

Well first off if you are talking about July 5th of 09 that is not that long to be that upset, you do not know what is going on in the coin holders life right now. You might try to send him a FRIENDY note and ask him if he was planning on moving it soon, and if he wasn't could he send it back to you. But it really has not been that long. In the end what can you do about it really NOTHING !!! if that upsets you maybe you should not put out trackables.

Scubasonic

Is this common?

Well first off if you are talking about July 5th of 09 that is not that long to be that upset, you do not know what is going on in the coin holders life right now. You might try to send him a FRIENDY note and ask him if he was planning on moving it soon, and if he wasn't could he send it back to you. But it really has not been that long. In the end what can you do about it really NOTHING !!! if that upsets you maybe you should not put out trackables.

Scubasonic

I'm no expert on the matter in fact I'm very new to this but here's some advice anyway. When you release a track-able into the wild just assume that it will be stolen. Then if it makes anywhere you'll be pleasantly surprised. Human nature suggests that it will be stolen though. Even for those of us who don't steal, it still crosses our minds sometimes when it comes to bright shiny objects.

Did he log it when he took it out of the cache? If so... that's a good sign.

I took a trip this winter, and took one out of a cache that i failed to log... for six months! I saw it the other day and felt horrible that I'd had it so long! I've since logged it, and moved it.

On the other hand, someone logged one of my trackables out of a cache 6 months ago, and hasn't put it back into circulation yet.

Ah... life...

In this case, I imagine it will get moving shortly... I wouldn't suppose it was "stolen." If they'd intended to steal it, they would have just taken it and not logged it at all.

Stolen?!?

Back off. Please.

I have one coin that I'm feeling very guilty about and plan to replace, although I have no idea what happened to it. I found it, I logged it, but I can no longer find it. Is it between my car seats? Did I drop it on the ground? I have no idea. At first, I assumed that I had dropped it into a cache and forgot to log it. I emailed the owner about it, apolgizing for that. But its been months now, and it hasn't been discovered, so all I can assume is that I lost it. I feel terrible, but I did NOT "steal" it. I will most likely purchase as close a replacement as I can and send it to the owner, because that's just the way I am. But there is no implied or explicit obligation to do so. Coins and TBs go missing, simple as that. Squirrels get squashed by cars, too. You don't want to see either happen, but they do, and you don't lose much sleep over either.

Is this common?

First of all people who steal geocoins don't log them out first.

Life can get in the way of geocaching so don't assume you know their situation. They may have a very good reason for not dropping the coin at the moment. Give it some time. Keep the expectation that the coin will move on eventually.

If and when you do make contact don't accuse them of anything, just offer your assistance to get the traveler back in circulation.

Edited by BlueDeuce

If one of our travel bugs haven't been put back in a cache in 6 weeks, I send a friendly reminder email asking if they know how to log them in or if they'd forgot to do so. Most of the time one goes for so long without actually "dropping" back into a cache it's because the cacher is new and didn't know how to do it. we have had many travel bugs go missing throughout the last year and THANK GOODNESS Groundspeak sends "copy" dogtags... we've re-released some, but others we have no clue. it is what it is... and hopefully a friendly reminder will move your geocoin along. good luck! :rolleyes: teamspongebob

http://teamspongebob.blogspot.com

Don't get emotionally attached to TB's. It's bad for your health.

I would suggest two Margaritas

Only two?

I sent off my first geocoin when I launched the cache My other car is a GeoCache GC1B5NF It made it to Eastern Washington/Western Idaho and vanished with 2 other TBs from a TB hotel somewhere between Feb 15 and Feb 24, 2009. Seems there's a bad habit of people picking up TBs and Coins and not logging them and not moving them along promptly.

I've bought and launched a few more, but I've come to the decision I'm not going to put a lot of money into trackables as it would be heartache to see a $15+ geocoin go missing as fast as I've seen some do.

We need UGLY, undesirable trackables, something someone wouldn't want to put in their personal album.

A friend in Michigan went to an Event and met someone who showed him his album full of geocoins, which he had been collecting from caches. My friend politely enquired why he was still in posession of so many and whether he would soon get them moving again, as their owners would wish. After a furtive glance, the varmint scuppered off, never to be seen again. Had I been there, which I guess is a good thing I wasn't, there might have been a high probability of a lynching. :rolleyes: So be aware, there are people who thing anything in a cache, including your 15,000+ mile traveler is only another butterly to by gassed and placed into their collection. :D

Edited by DragonsWest

on another note...Do not convince kids to be dependant on strangers to do exactly what you want with your traveler...gosh, I've heard so many stories...

"you haven't moved my kids TB in a week, what's wrong with you"

"why did you move my kids TB west, even when it wants to go west"

"why didn't you move my kids TB more than 20 miles"

MY BAD! I AM AN IDIOT! I apologize for making a stink about this. Ever look right at something and not even see it?

Well, my emails regarding the "stolen geocoin" were answered. And what I thought was a stolen geocoin was not. I screwed up setting up my email and the responses were going into my antispam folder.

Yes, I am an idiot. Or was it a senior moment. They happen more these days.

Once again, I apologize.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Cheers...

All's well that ends well.

Trackable owners (and their children) should never set their expectations too high, that way they can't be disappointed. Set them low, and you'll be so happy when they move. :laughing:

Trackables can be a real world learning experience for children too.

Glad this one worked out for you.

A friend in Michigan went to an Event and met someone who showed him his album full of geocoins, which he had been collecting from caches. My friend politely enquired why he was still in posession of so many and whether he would soon get them moving again, as their owners would wish. After a furtive glance, the varmint scuppered off, never to be seen again. Had I been there, which I guess is a good thing I wasn't, there might have been a high probability of a lynching. :laughing: So be aware, there are people who thing anything in a cache, including your 15,000+ mile traveler is only another butterly to by gassed and placed into their collection. :)

I am from Michigan and if I had been there and known that I wouldn not have been polite. You can bet I would have made a stink. A VERY loud one too. ;)

one of my "code 3 geocoin" hydrant travelers recently went AWOL after over 31,000 miles! the way i see it, i'm glad it made it once around the world. it had a good run, and now, hopefully someone is enjoying it and maybe sharing it with friends and family although probably not any other geocachers. when i set a geocoin free, i fully expect it to disapear at some point. hopefully, later rather than sooner. time for a frozen margarita and a toast to happy travels! cheers! :laughing:

A friend in Michigan went to an Event and met someone who showed him his album full of geocoins, which he had been collecting from caches. My friend politely enquired why he was still in posession of so many and whether he would soon get them moving again, as their owners would wish. After a furtive glance, the varmint scuppered off, never to be seen again. Had I been there, which I guess is a good thing I wasn't, there might have been a high probability of a lynching. :laughing: So be aware, there are people who thing anything in a cache, including your 15,000+ mile traveler is only another butterly to by gassed and placed into their collection. ;)

If this happens to anyone again, play dumb. Ask if you can discover them. Get all the tracking numbers, and politely ask the cacher's name, so you can introduce them to your friend, wife, husband.... Then let me know, and maybe I can politely ask them to release them all and explain why. Perhaps they just don't get it. Do not approach this person angrily. Hopefully that person feels "outed" now and will place them all in caches. As a cacher, I might have made mention in my log about the incident. Maybe others know who it was, and maybe someone is friends with them and can convince them to release them and see the error of their ways. It's very sad that they feel the need to steal them for their own binder. Did anyone get a name?

What goes around comes around and their karma is probably in the toilet now.

I wonder if anyone got a picture of the event with him in it? Maybe your buddy could give the pics a once over.

There are alot of Good cachers in Michigan that may recognize him at the next event and get the info for Eartha.

I would guess he didn't "drop" these coins into the event.

It is sad.

Opalsns

A friend in Michigan went to an Event and met someone who showed him his album full of geocoins, which he had been collecting from caches. My friend politely enquired why he was still in posession of so many and whether he would soon get them moving again, as their owners would wish. After a furtive glance, the varmint scuppered off, never to be seen again. Had I been there, which I guess is a good thing I wasn't, there might have been a high probability of a lynching. :laughing: So be aware, there are people who thing anything in a cache, including your 15,000+ mile traveler is only another butterly to by gassed and placed into their collection. :anicute:

If this happens to anyone again, play dumb. Ask if you can discover them. Get all the tracking numbers, and politely ask the cacher's name, so you can introduce them to your friend, wife, husband.... Then let me know, and maybe I can politely ask them to release them all and explain why. Perhaps they just don't get it. Do not approach this person angrily. Hopefully that person feels "outed" now and will place them all in caches. As a cacher, I might have made mention in my log about the incident. Maybe others know who it was, and maybe someone is friends with them and can convince them to release them and see the error of their ways. It's very sad that they feel the need to steal them for their own binder. Did anyone get a name?

What goes around comes around and their karma is probably in the toilet now.

I really don't think that asking politely would work after he has been asked once already. there is a cacher here who has a TB hotel. He keeps the coins inside his locked porch displayed in the window so people can discover them. Yep they are travelers and he isn't the owner. I've been told that he has been asked by cachers and the owners to set them free again but nope hasn't happened. Many times at events there are people around who have satellite wifi (or whatever it's called LOL) and if they could check the numbers right then and there it might help a LOT...

I really don't think that asking politely would work after he has been asked once already. there is a cacher here who has a TB hotel. He keeps the coins inside his locked porch displayed in the window so people can discover them. Yep they are travelers and he isn't the owner. I've been told that he has been asked by cachers and the owners to set them free again but nope hasn't happened. Many times at events there are people around who have satellite wifi (or whatever it's called LOL) and if they could check the numbers right then and there it might help a LOT...

This may sound bad, but it's sounds like something a crow bar would fix. LOL!!!!

" An Eye for an Eye "

" A tooth for a tooth"

"Vote for me and I'll set you free"

"Right On , Brother , Right On""

Who sang that anyway?????