Any suggestions for puzzle type caches?

Jono14

Our first cache placement was a puzzle GC16NJE

It was a cool horse shoe with a tiny compartment for the log but somehow it just walked away. Property owner knew it was there and thought it was a great idea.

"You need to know your scrabble tiles to get the correct coordinates by figuring out the value of scrabble words.

If a word is 10 points or more then you need to add the digits together. For example: if the word has a 12 point value, you need to add the 1+2=3 which makes 3 the next digit of the coordinates.

NOTE – “blank” counts as a "zero""

We have not done any puzzles since then but since it's an easy solve we may do another one soon.

I'd say that a good general starting point could be to think of ways to represent numbers differently with letters or symbols or even words (i.e. semaphore, morse code, telephone buttons, periodic table of the elements) and design the puzzle based on one of em. Other ways would be to think of how you could calculate any set of numbers based on math or to hide the answer in your description either in the html or in other ways. Get creative and get someone to test it because what may seem an obvious leap to you may not be for others :rolleyes: Good luck!

Adding: the suggestion of looking at puzzles in your area is good but even better would be to look at puzzles in other areas so that you're not recycling the same ideas in your area. There are probably also public bookmark lists of favorite puzzle caches but I'm not sure how to go about searching for public bookmark lists so it may be not an option... again, good luck!

Here's an idea I used for my puzzle cache that may work for you.

First of all, dig up a dead body (doesn't matter where, just make sure you remain consistent on the gender over time, and that the body is relatively fresh), and make it look as though the person has been killed by a certain other person based on DNA evidence or fingerprints left at the scene of the crime. Make this the starting coordinates of your puzzle cache, just make sure you continually refresh the scene with a new dead body every 2 to 3 days, as well as DNA or fingerprint evidence that points to the murderer.

Okay, so stage two is the murderer, who must be found by solving the DNA or fingerprint evidence from the first coordinates, who has the coordinates tattooed on his body in a jumble which must be scrambled to find the correct coordinates (you can make these available to be checked on geochecker.com). Make him difficult to find but not too hard.

Okay, here's the tricky part. There must be some sort of physical challenge lined up to get the coordinates from whatever huge and rough-looking biker dude you pick to be the murderer. Either you must beat him at a game of pool, or in a street race, or maybe a drinking game, but after which all of these would be followed by a brawl after he's lost and can't believe he's done so with a "scrawny pipsqueak like you."

After the brawl, he should be knocked out, so you can take his shirt off as people applaud for you and thank you for their freedom from his wrath, write down the scrambled numbers from his chest, back, and inner thighs, and reassemble them to come up with the coordinates for the actual location.

Once they get to the actual cache, though, make sure the container has a lock on it because uh-oh, GUESS WHAT! The BIKER had a KEY on him that opens the LOCK! If you didn't check his body for items after you took him out, you don't get the key, and you can't sign the log!

Be prepared for a few DNFs though.

Edited by chrisrayn

First of all, dig up a dead body (doesn't matter where, just make sure you remain consistent on the gender over time, and that the body is relatively fresh), and make it look as though the person has been killed by a certain other person based on DNA evidence or fingerprints left at the scene of the crime. Make this the starting coordinates of your puzzle cache, just make sure you continually refresh the scene with a new dead body every 2 to 3 days, as well as DNA or fingerprint evidence that points to the murderer.

Okay, so stage two is the murderer, who must be found by solving the DNA or fingerprint evidence from the first coordinates, who has the coordinates tattooed on his body in a jumble which must be scrambled to find the correct coordinates (you can make these available to be checked on geochecker.com). Make him difficult to find but not too hard.

Okay, here's the tricky part. There must be some sort of physical challenge lined up to get the coordinates from whatever huge and rough-looking biker dude you pick to be the murderer. Either you must beat him at a game of pool, or in a street race, or maybe a drinking game, but after which all of these would be followed by a brawl after he's lost and can't believe he's done so with a "scrawny pipsqueak like you."

After the brawl, he should be knocked out, so you can take his shirt off as people applaud for you and thank you for their freedom from his wrath, write down the scrambled numbers from his chest, back, and inner thighs, and reassemble them to come up with the coordinates for the actual location.

Once they get to the actual cache, though, make sure the container has a lock on it because uh-oh, GUESS WHAT! The BIKER had a KEY on him that opens the LOCK! If you didn't check his body for items after you took him out, you don't get the key, and you can't sign the log!

:D:D:D:wub::rolleyes:

Sure, like that hasn't been done a few dozen times already....

Sure, like that hasn't been done a few dozen times already....

Well not all of us can afford rock drills. :-(

A couple ideas I have played with.

color codes, like resister color code, telephone cable color codes, capacitor color codes...... Example: GC15B5P

Next time at the store, look at the magazine rack for a magazine or periodical of an assortment of puzzles. This could be a treasure trove of all kinds of puzzles.

Research word encryption, find one that is not well known but can be found on the internet for the solution/key. Example: GCXDAC

Trivia questions of any subject that answers can be found with internet research and can be converted to or given numerical values. Example: GC1M84Z

Game moves, such as figuring out the move in chess to cause a checkmate. Numerical values are given from a table for various moves from certain pieces. Example: GC1W17B

Edited by RS67Man

Does anyone have any suggestions on some puzzles. I want to put up a puzzle cache, but I don't have any good ideas of one.

One of the easiest types of puzzles are those which require you to look up information on the net to answer some questions, and the cache page tells you how to map the answer to a digit. Typically you'd preface the questions with something like this:

The actual coordinates are at N 42 25.ABC W 076 26.DEF

For example, if you were into 1970's progressive rock you might ask questions like this:

A. How many members were in the band, ELP?

B. How many letters are there in the first name of the lead singer for Genesis on the Foxtrot album?

C. King Crimson: _____ Of A Perfect Pair

The answer are 3, 5, 3 which would map to a North coordinate of 42 25.353

You can make the questions as easy or difficult as you'd like and use the topic of your choice. These kinds of puzzles are easy to construct, easy to solve, and have the added benefit that they can also be educational.

I would strongly suggest that you find some puzzle caches first. With zero puzzle caches found, you don't know what's been done (and maybe over-done) in your area and what kinds of puzzles are appreciated by local cachers.

In my area, most (not all!) of the best puzzle caches are placed by the best puzzle solvers. Some of the worst (ambiguous, "read-my-mind," illogical) are placed by cachers who start their puzzle cache page with "We aren't very good at solving puzzles, but..."

If you, nevertheless, have some urgent reason for placing a puzzle cache, I would suggest taking the advice of NYPaddleCacher and make a quiz on some subject that interests you. Be sure that the answers can be looked up and that there is only one answer per question. For instance, NYPaddleCacher's second sample question specifies the lead singer for Genesis on the Foxtrot album. Genesis had different lead singers at different times, so if he hadn't specified the album, the question would have had several possible answers.

Be sure to include a link to a geo-checker or, at least, a check-sum.

I would strongly suggest that you find some puzzle caches first. With zero puzzle caches found, you don't know what's been done (and maybe over-done) in your area and what kinds of puzzles are appreciated by local cachers.

In my area, most (not all!) of the best puzzle caches are placed by the best puzzle solvers. Some of the worst (ambiguous, "read-my-mind," illogical) are placed by cachers who start their puzzle cache page with "We aren't very good at solving puzzles, but..."

If you, nevertheless, have some urgent reason for placing a puzzle cache, I would suggest taking the advice of NYPaddleCacher and make a quiz on some subject that interests you. Be sure that the answers can be looked up and that there is only one answer per question. For instance, NYPaddleCacher's second sample question specifies the lead singer for Genesis on the Foxtrot album. Genesis had different lead singers at different times, so if he hadn't specified the album, the question would have had several possible answers.

That was precisely why I phrased the question the way I did. A couple of miscellaneous things about puzzle caches:

- Puzzle caches get found far less frequently than traditional caches. Some people categorically ignore them. Be prepared to get far fewer finds, even if the puzzle is very easy.

- Finding a bunch of puzzle caches will not only provide some ideas on how to construct a good one (or what to avoid to prevent creating a bad one), it will also provide some benchmarks for how to rate your own puzzle. You can't really know what a 4 or even 5 star puzzle looks like unless you've solved a few.

- Beta testers are a good thing. There's nothing more frustrating for a puzzle solver to work on a puzzle several days without any progress only to find out that there is a bug in it that prevents a unique solution. Ask around in the forums and you'll likely be able to find someone that doesn't live in your area that is willing to beta-test your puzzle, and even suggest how it should be rated.

- Use your imagination, but don't expect others to be able to read your mind, or assume that everyone is going to be familiar with some obscure tidbit of knowledge when providing a hint. For example, I did a puzzle awhile back that involved folding a sheet of paper to line of figures that, when folded correctly, displayed numbers for the coordinates. One of the hints suggesting "sit down and rest and have a nice salad". Even after solving the puzzle I had no idea what that hint was about. Turned out, there is some band in the U.K. called "Salad" that produced an album called "Fold A to B". That's a bit obscure.

Reading the forums is almost as much fun as actually going geocaching...

Make a puzzle that gives you a phone number. Have a recording on the phone number that gives more coordinates. I have this and it gets good reviews. The starting point takes you to a phone company with a dime payphone out front. Listen to the recording if you want (simulated voice): 3309627613

You could do the variations that has a sticker that reads CALL FOR CASH and have it at the posted coords.