60CX case. Rubber decaying

Suscrofa

I noticed that the band between the antenna and the top was split, tried to glue it to no avail. In fact I noticed the rubber became spongy and would crumble !

The antenna housing and case top rubber is easily scratched !

My GPS is three years old, has given about 2000 hours of good service in a normal environment, no chemical, no direct sun exposure.

I can't believe this ! I have seen cheap rubber stuff but on such an expensive device !!!

Am I just unlucky ? I have not yet contacted Garmin, anyway it is out of warranty

Anyone else noticed the same issue ?

I noticed that the band between the antenna and the top was split, tried to glue it to no avail. In fact I noticed the rubber became spongy and would crumble !

The antenna housing and case top rubber is easily scratched !

My GPS is three years old, has given about 2000 hours of good service in a normal environment, no chemical, no direct sun exposure.

I can't believe this ! I have seen cheap rubber stuff but on such an expensive device !!!

Am I just unlucky ? I have not yet contacted Garmin, anyway it is out of warranty

Anyone else noticed the same issue ?

I would atleast try Garmin Support. It would be worth a try.

.. not even stuff like mosquito repellant that might still be on your fingers after applying it? That's been blamed for some of the Etrex rubber trims becoming unglued.

Also, direct sun exposure might not be as bad as intense heat exposure, like being inside a sun-baked car even IF the GPSr isn't in view of the sun it still can get very hot.

I just had my boss's 60Csx replaced because of a damaged antenna cover, but it was actually torn. The plastic housing was also cracked - looks like it was exposed to gas or something. He got a new replacement for CDN$150 including tax/shipping.

I read elsewhere on this forum that someone got a new rubber for their eTrex from Garmin support. They don't sell them, but they talked to the right person at the right time and I think they sent it free. It's worth a try...

The rubber case on the Oregons look and feel like they will last longer than the older Garmins.

Contact Garmin.

I had a Rino that was at least 5+ years old. The toggle button was just plain worn out and ripped from use. I wanted to replace the rubber boot over the button. I contacted and sent the unit in. They sent me a new unit back. I was not expecting this.

tarbaL

No mosquito repellent or heat as I know they can be harmful.

May be the acid in perspiration but anyway, the rubber choosen must be able to withstand this kind of aggression.

What I would like to know if other older 60 series experienced similar issues. Not all rubber mfgd are equal and some are really crappy !

To test just requires to try with the nail to see if the rubber peels of.

I have also seen sunscreen eat up a pair of sunglass keepers. I applied it to the top of my ear and put my glasses on. There must have been some on my ear that did not get wiped off. It ate the rubber on the keeper. The rubber became really soft, sticky and fell apart.

tarbaL