HELP! I have no idea about GPS' at all!

I am looking to find a good gps that will be good for a newbie gps user. I have never used a gps in my life so I am hoping to find something that has good features to make things easier but also newbie friendly...Anyone have any suggestions...oh It should be a decent price range lol....I am hoping to trade one....Any suggestions on good ones?

I'm a newbie too .... Here's a thought: if you have a smartphone, search the net for downloadable apps for geocaching. I found Trimble Geocache Navigator for my Blackberry Curve and it is totally awesome!!! Don't need to buy another device, very easy to use, incredibly accurate, and I always have it with me, so can do spontaneous geocaching.

If you have no idea at all, then you need to learn more before you spend any money. It's hard enough to know which unit to get when you know what features you want. Even harder if you have no criteria to start with. You need to have some idea what is important to you and what is not, because I will guarantee you that there is no one receiver that is the best at everything. If there was, it would not be a decent price :rolleyes:

This forum is a good place to start. Go back several weeks and read. Especially read the threads where people are arguing about discussing the best receivers for their needs. Take the comments all with a grain of salt, and you will be surprised what you will learn about what to look for.

I hope this does not sound discouraging - it is not intended to be. It's all a matter of finding the right tool for the job. You could go out and buy the best hammer in the world, but it won't do you much good if what you really need is a screwdriver.

I'm a newbie too .... Here's a thought: if you have a smartphone, search the net for downloadable apps for geocaching. I found Trimble Geocache Navigator for my Blackberry Curve and it is totally awesome!!! Don't need to buy another device, very easy to use, incredibly accurate, and I always have it with me, so can do spontaneous geocaching.

Nope no cell! I cant afford one anymore lol.

If you have no idea at all, then you need to learn more before you spend any money. It's hard enough to know which unit to get when you know what features you want. Even harder if you have no criteria to start with. You need to have some idea what is important to you and what is not, because I will guarantee you that there is no one receiver that is the best at everything. If there was, it would not be a decent price :rolleyes:

This forum is a good place to start. Go back several weeks and read. Especially read the threads where people are arguing about discussing the best receivers for their needs. Take the comments all with a grain of salt, and you will be surprised what you will learn about what to look for.

I hope this does not sound discouraging - it is not intended to be. It's all a matter of finding the right tool for the job. You could go out and buy the best hammer in the world, but it won't do you much good if what you really need is a screwdriver.

Thanks for the advise. I am not too specific on what I am looking for. I just need something that can at least get me started. The only thing I understand from what I have read is that I need a compass or a GPS with one built in lol. I have no idea how to read a compass so im guessing I should find one with a compass built in lol. Im hoping I can find someone that is willing to trade one to at least get me started cuz I dont have any money for the time being and me and the kids are getting stir crazy having to sit at home all day every day. Thanks for the help.

How about the Geomate Jr.?

I will look into that one!

I checked it out and it seems that its only good for geocaching...I am hoping to find something that I can use for driving also. I am new to our town and I am thinkin a GPS would help us out a lot!

Edited by KenyonFam5

Thanks for the advise. I am not too specific on what I am looking for. I just need something that can at least get me started.

Get you started doing what?

What do you want to do with a GPS?

What do you think a GPS will do for you?

The only thing I understand from what I have read is that I need a compass or a GPS with one built in

What do you need a compass for?

Edited by Chris CA

I was reading a couple articles online and they both said that you should buy a GPS with a built in compass cuz it helps with your direction.

Just trying to figure out what you need/want a GPS and/or a compass for to better try and help you out.

Why do you need or want a GPS at all?

What are you planning on doing with it once you get one?

I was reading a couple articles online and they both said that you should buy a GPS with a built in compass cuz it helps with your direction.

Just trying to figure out what you need/want a GPS and/or a compass for to better try and help you out.

Why do you need or want a GPS at all?

What are you planning on doing with it once you get one?

Well mainly I am planning on geocaching with it but I also plan on using it to find my way around this town too. Just moved here and I dont know where everything is so once I have one, I will give me the motivation to explore a little. I dont know that I need a compass but an article I was reading said that the best GPS' for geocachers are ones that have built in compass', no less than 100 points, goto feature, WAAS enabled, and has the MARK feature....

I am not too specific on what I am looking for. I just need something that can at least get me started. The only thing I understand from what I have read is that I need a compass or a GPS with one built in lol.

It would be one step above basic - more that enough to get you started (but, I wouldn't go with less) and enough to keep you going without upgrading for quite awhile - I would get a Garmin Venture HC. You don't need an electronic compass and altimeter. But, if you want those features, I would get a Garmin Summit HC (essentially the same unit as the Venture HC, but with the additional features).

The user's manuals for the newer units are not as complete as those for the older models. But, the functions on the newer units are essentially the same. If you get the Venture HC, go to the Garmin site and download the manual for the Legend C (a discontinued model). Or, if you get the Summit HC, get the manual for the Vista C (also a discontinued model).

I have had good service - and the prices are attractive - by dealing with offroute.com.