Garmin Oregon 400T vs Colorado 400Tq

Kjack05

Im getting ready to but my first stand alone GPS unit. Ive been using my iphone 3g and 3gs for geocaching, but im into it enough now I want a unit strictly for Geocaching. Ive narrowed it down to these two units. Ive read mixed reviews of the colorado and the orgeon. I wanted to know everyones opinion on which is a better unit for Geocaching and accuracy and why. Also if anyone has any screenshots of the geoaching parts of these units in use please post. Thanks

Edited by Kjack05

I have the Colorado 400t, a friend of mine had a Colorado 400t and upgraded to an Oregon 400t after he lost the Colordao.

I will say that I like the idea of a touch screen, especially for logging finds; however, I do find some of the navigation of the screens on the Oregon to be frustrating. :D

After my brief experience with his Oregon, if I lost my Colorado I would get another Colorado.

My $0.02...whatever that's worth to ya. :P

I have the Colorado 400t, a friend of mine had a Colorado 400t and upgraded to an Oregon 400t after he lost the Colordao.

I will say that I like the idea of a touch screen, especially for logging finds; however, I do find some of the navigation of the screens on the Oregon to be frustrating. :D

After my brief experience with his Oregon, if I lost my Colorado I would get another Colorado.

My $0.02...whatever that's worth to ya. :P

Colorado was my first choice, then i started looking into the oregon more. Im concerned with the colorado I will have trouble using the navigation wheel on it vs touching whatever on the oregon.

What is the geocaching mode like? Is there a special geocaching navigate screen?

Edited by Kjack05

What is the geocaching mode like? Is there a special geocaching navigate screen?

The geocaching modes are very similar...again, I find the Colordao menus a little easier to navigate.

I'm pretty sure they have a demo on the Garmin website that shows how the menus work...

Yup, here's two that should show you what you're looking for:

Colorado Demo

Colorado Mini-Site

If I get a chance to upload some screen shots, I'll do that...I'm in the middle of preparing a presentation on GSAK and the Colorado, so I know I'll have some for you...just a little busy working on the presentation at the moment.

I have the Oregon 400t, the touch screen isn't the greatest thing on it and the compass is horrible.

I have seen the Colorado 400t screen and it looks so much clearer, it'll get no finger smudges either, no touch membrane that makes it look cloudy all the time.

I have the Oregon 400t, the touch screen isn't the greatest thing on it and the compass is horrible.

I have seen the Colorado 400t screen and it looks so much clearer, it'll get no finger smudges either, no touch membrane that makes it look cloudy all the time.

Whats wrong with the compass?

The geocaching modes are very similar...again, I find the Colordao menus a little easier to navigate.

I'm pretty sure they have a demo on the Garmin website that shows how the menus work...

Yup, here's two that should show you what you're looking for:

Colorado Demo

Colorado Mini-Site

If I get a chance to upload some screen shots, I'll do that...I'm in the middle of preparing a presentation on GSAK and the Colorado, so I know I'll have some for you...just a little busy working on the presentation at the moment.

This information helped a lot, dont worry about the screenshotsm the demo page showed me what i was trying to figure out, THANK YOU!!

Whats wrong with the compass?

Its terrible. If you want an Oregon with a good or better compass, get the 550t or even the Dakota 20.

I own a Colorado 300 and an Oregon 200.

The Oregon's touch screen interface is very very nice and the feature set a bit more complete than the Colorado. However - I still have to give the Colorado an edge. It just performs better. Better accuracy and better lock on the sats in tough condtions.

I found a good deal online for the oregon so I decided to order it, If I dont like it I have 30 days to return it. My main deciding factor was touch screen just because I dont know how well I would be able to operate the rocking roller wheel. Thanks for everyones comments, I will post back on what I think of it.