Caching around Edinburgh

We are spending a few days in Edinburgh for the Fringe, but also intend to spend one day away from the city to bag some more rural Scottish caches. Can anyone recommend a day trip destination involving some decent walks and scenery where we might also find up to half a dozen caches en route.

Many thanks

Chris

We are spending a few days in Edinburgh for the Fringe, but also intend to spend one day away from the city to bag some more rural Scottish caches. Can anyone recommend a day trip destination involving some decent walks and scenery where we might also find up to half a dozen caches en route.

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

I would suggest using Haggis Hunter's bookmarks as a starting point. See here Have fun its a great place and do visit Arthur's Chair you will soon be out of the city going up there and there are several caches on the chair. PS Just do not mention the trams :rolleyes:

Many thanks

Chris

Just the other day I took on the Pentland Ridge Multi-Cache (GC1N7AT) and would thoroughly recommend it. I managed to pick up 10 caches on a 5.5 hour walk, though I didn't stop for many breaks. Lovely scenery and not far from Edinburgh at all.

PS Just do not mention the trams

Who mentioned the ******** Trams ;):);)

Thanks for that. I had heard about the trams and as it happens, the hotel we are staying in is right next to GC1M386 - so appropriate !

That hotel has a building site right next to it :laughing: funnily enough it's for them flipping trams.

You won't be left short for shops either, Tesco, B&Q, Halfords to name a few are straight across the road. the roads into it can be a bit confusing, so make sure you follow the signs for Hermiston Gait.

You are also in walking distance of doing about 6 caches along the Union canal, very pleasant for a nice walk. Although the clues for some of them are not quite what they seem.

I would recommend a trip down to Holyrood, my bookmark lists include them, Water of Leith is also enjoyable, my bookmarks again and the recommendation of the Pentland's is also good. All of these recommendations are either still in the city or just outside, but all give the rural feel especially Holyrood. If you are wanting a walk, then do a PQ for Fife as well as Edinburgh, the coast walk has an abundance of caches that are enjoyable.

Feel free to drop me an email if you want more recommendations.

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

I would suggest using Haggis Hunter's bookmarks as a starting point. See here Have fun its a great place and do visit Arthur's Chair you will soon be out of the city going up there and there are several caches on the chair. PS Just do not mention the trams :laughing:

:anicute:

OK...

What is it with these trams? :laughing:

We'll be in Edinburgh on 25th August, on our way back home after the Gathering in the Glens...

Are the trams dangerous? Do we need special passes for them?

For my own peace of mind, tell me about the trams!

:o

MrsB :anicute:

No one wants them, they are costing a fortune and the disruption is unbelievable, although as a visitor all you may be aware of is that Edinburgh looks like a building site. Adding insult to injury the contractors now want even more money and the council are looking at suing them.

On a personal note my local dog walking area is closed off because of the project, and to walk my dogs of the leash I need to put them in the car to get to a decent safe place, and one of my caches is in theeat of being disrupted. ;):P

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

I would suggest using Haggis Hunter's bookmarks as a starting point. See here Have fun its a great place and do visit Arthur's Chair you will soon be out of the city going up there and there are several caches on the chair. PS Just do not mention the trams :laughing:

:anicute:

I wasn't going to say anything ;)

No one wants them, they are costing a fortune and the disruption is unbelievable, although as a visitor all you may be aware of is that Edinburgh looks like a building site. Adding insult to injury the contractors now want even more money and the council are looking at suing them.

On a personal note my local dog walking area is closed off because of the project, and to walk my dogs of the leash I need to put them in the car to get to a decent safe place, and one of my caches is in theeat of being disrupted. :laughing::anicute:

Ohhhhh... OK... Thanks for the explanation.

I've never been to Edinburgh before so I'll try and turn a blind eye to the tramifications.

MrsB

On a personal note my local dog walking area is closed off because of the project, and to walk my dogs of the leash I need to put them in the car to get to a decent safe place, and one of my caches is in theeat of being disrupted. :laughing::anicute:

Ohhhhh... OK... Thanks for the explanation.

I've never been to Edinburgh before so I'll try and turn a blind eye to the tramifications.

MrsB

Just avoid the city centre and you'll be fine. Waddya mean that's where the Festival is? Ok, The High Street/Royal Mile should be tram-free, but watch out for a muggle or two thousand!

;)

Waddya mean that's where the Festival is? Ok, The High Street/Royal Mile should be tram-free, but watch out for a muggle or two thousand!

Precisely why, whilst I know there are caches to be found right in the centre, we needed some ideas for caching away from the Festival crowds.

Many thanks to HH and everyone for your suggestions and especially HH's bookmarks which are just what we needed. Mrs T (AKA Maliplex) will be pouring over her good old fashioned paper OS maps to see were we will be going. DD is performing in a number of shows at the Fringe, so we will no doubt try a get one or two of the central caches whilst we wander up and down the Royal Mile.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Edinburgh as well Mrs B.

Not bothered about the Festival... but we'll be staying the night in a travel lodge sort of place at Queensferry and, guess what? I've just discovered that the "Time and Tide" cache is nearby... That looks nice. :laughing:

MrsB

Do you mean 'Time and tide will wait for no man' GC1DNC3? If so then it's about a 10 - 15 minute drive to Cramond from Queensferry and you have to get the tides correct. My cache Go Forth is also on the island, and both caches get good feedback.

Just to add to HH's caution about heading out to Cramond Island, last weekend TWELVE people had to be rescued because they got trapped when the tide came in. This being just the day after the BBC had done a feature in the news on folks getting trapped on Lindisfarne...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinbu...ast/8191435.stm

Swimming is NOT to be recommended - there are very strong currents around the island. The two who did swim were lucky (not sure whether they swam the whole distance or not).

:laughing:

Edited by Original A1

Site of Roman fort also noted. :P

Alaterva is my daughters cache, she done all the research of the fort, I just put the page together for her. The views from my cache on Corstorphine Hill are limited due to the trees, but the walk is enjoyable. the most popular earthcache in Edinburgh is also mine, which is Arthur's Seat

There appears to be a high caching opportunity to go with some good looking walks and views along the Fife Coastal Path. And only about an hours drive from Edinburgh. Would that make a good day for us (possibly via the Falkirk Wheel) ?

It's a longer drive via the Falkirk Wheel, but yes it should make a nice enough walk.