WWFM 6

Its official next WWFM scheduled for 14th November.........

Sounds like the new lame micro version of events. Sigh!

It's not new, this will be event number 6, and certainly not lame, many people attend these events and find them a fun conduit to a day or evening caching. The WWFM is approaching its third anniversary this autumn. In caching terms that's not really new. :D

Once you have been to a few events, then you will get the feel of them ... but as you are a non event attender so far, please don't trash them without trying them first. :D

On a more positive note: WWFM VI ~ London has been submitted for review. :rolleyes:

Once you have been to a few events, then you will get the feel of them ... but as you are a non event attender so far, please don't trash them without trying them first. :laughing:

Forgive me for expressing an opinion. No I haven't been to a Flash Mob event but I have been to a "proper" one very recently but then again I've stopped logging caches online so you wouldn't see it on my profile, my enjoyment comes from the actual hunt.

I'd like to make it clear that I can certainly see the point of "real" events but just turning up somewhere and doing something silly for 10-15 minutes then leaving doesn't strike me as holding much relevance to caching.

Edited by Neath Worthies

I'd like to make it clear that I can certainly see the point of "real" events but just turning up somewhere and doing something silly for 10-15 minutes then leaving doesn't strike me as holding much relevance to caching.

And using expensive hi-tech gizzmos to find plastic food-savers full of tat hidden about the countryside isn't silly? :laughing:

I've always found the complete and utter pointless silliness of geocaching to be one of the most attractive things about it! ;)

Mike

Stats for WWFM 5 held earlier in the year.

RUNNING TOTAL: 153 events worldwide in 20 countries

20 COUNTRIES:

USA - 81| IRL - 2

CAN - 25| CZE - 1

AUS - 7| IRQ - 1

NED - 7| ITA - 1

BEL - 5| JER - 1

GBR - 5| KOR - 1

POR - 4| NOR - 1

SWE - 4| ROU - 1

GER - 3| SUI - 1

FRA - 2| SVK - 1

USA 38 STATES & TERRITORIES:

CA - 7 | AL - 2 | WI - 2 | NH - 1

WA - 7 | AZ - 2 | DE - 1 | NJ - 1

NY - 5 | CO - 2 | GU - 1 | OK - 1

IA - 4 | GA - 2 | IL - 1 | PR - 1

FL - 3 | MI - 2 | KS - 1 | SC - 1

IN - 3 | NC - 2 | LA - 1 | TX - 1

MO - 3 | NV - 2 | ME - 1 | UT - 1

OR - 3 | OH - 2 | MT - 1 | WY - 1

SD - 3 | PA - 2 | ND - 1 |

WV - 3 | TN - 2 | NE - 1 |

Canada 10 PROVINCES:

BC - 5 | NS - 2

ON - 5 | QC - 2

AB - 3 | SK - 2

NB - 2 | MB - 1

NL - 2 | PE - 1

So I guess there's a lot of silliness around the world ... :laughing:

And using expensive hi-tech gizzmos to find plastic food-savers full of tat hidden about the countryside isn't silly? :laughing:

I've always found the complete and utter pointless silliness of geocaching to be one of the most attractive things about it! :D

Point well made. I guess I need to turn off "Grumpy" mode. While I won't be joining you, have a great time, I'm sure it'll be fun.

;):);):huh:;):):):):):)

p.s. Interesting, I tried to add more smileys but apparently there's a limit!!

Being officially Silly, we've submitted a listing for Cardiff... :anicute:

Fingers crossed!

YAY!! I will try and get to that.I very much enjoyed the WWFM I attended in Birmingham last year and did lots of interesting caches and met up with people whose names I had only ever seen in logs or on the forum.

We had a great time and you shouldn't knock it untilyou have tried it. :laughing: Its not only 15 minutes if you arrive early and spend the day caching. It certainly changed my opinion of Birmingham, which had always been "a dark and dirty place" that I passed through on the train.

And using expensive hi-tech gizzmos to find plastic food-savers full of tat hidden about the countryside isn't silly? :anicute:

I've always found the complete and utter pointless silliness of geocaching to be one of the most attractive things about it! :D

Point well made. I guess I need to turn off "Grumpy" mode. While I won't be joining you, have a great time, I'm sure it'll be fun.

;):P:o:cry::cry::P:P:):):)

With apologies to Neath Worthies, I posted before I saw this.. :laughing:

And using expensive hi-tech gizzmos to find plastic food-savers full of tat hidden about the countryside isn't silly? :mad:

I've always found the complete and utter pointless silliness of geocaching to be one of the most attractive things about it! :(

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::D:(:(:(

Glad to hear that Grumpy mode is now off! As for a Flash Mob - try it, you might be suprised - I had the biggest grin on my face ever when I attended the last WWFM held at Brecon during the last South Wales Camping Event! Utter sillyness - mad as a mad thing! Just like the hobby!

I have to add that the biggest thing I have had out of this hobby is making some great new friends, doing something silly with that group of friends for 15 mins then laughing it off at a campsite or bbq after was sheer tonic itself!

Bring it on, with luck I will be there! Can't wait to have a go to organise one myself one day.

Em

Hi All

Thinking of trying to run one of these myself!

can anyone point me in the right direction as to central register, i think its via the podcachers but not sure.

it would be good to get it done properly so it counts on the global scene.

the last one i attended was quite a drive from home so i was thinking somewhere closer for me and others to attend. or is there an easy way of finding out where the more local ones are likely to be or is it still early.

:ph34r:

Just looked at the moment 5 listed in the uk the closest around 2 hours away

Edited by burtsbodgers

I'd say that a flash mob might be one of the easier events to run. If I can do it ...

You will find all the info, tips, suggestions of the WWFM at the podcacher forum, you can announce your published cache in this thread and if you follow the established naming protocol, it will show up on searches and be added to the grand listing.

Then you hold your event, take a group photo, get the log book signed by attendees, count participants and report the final tally back to the podcacher folks.

Job done :ph34r:

Some folks go for a theme to their flash mob, this can be as simple or as complex as you choose. Bear in mind it is going to be dark at the appointed hour here.

Go for it, and good luck :lol:

Just popping this one back to the top!

If any one would like to add a new icon to their list or just add another cache to their count!

these are just about the easiest caches to Find!

just look for the crowd at 6 o'clock

here is a book mark list of all the simultaneous caches that will be going on around the World http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...46-92d891248197

Go on get to your nearest one :angry:

you know it will be fun :)

Edited by burtsbodgers

I'm looking out the window down at the WWFM London location right now, a few folks with brollies crossing the square ... here's hoping it improves tomorrow! :sad:

Well, you can't blame people not wanting to get sunburn! With a bit of luck we'll have a few clouds tomorrow to make sure we dont all burn to a crisp :lol:

*nudges Dorsetgal to stick to the official 'it's always sunny in England' propaganda :lol::o

Well Flashing the cross went well..

51 People from 23 teams in attendance

It started to the sound of the Cathedral bells and was gone 15 minutes later B)

We all turned up with flashing lights of one form or another, from earings to full strings of fairy lights.

It was windy but dry and a few teams made it to the after event drink, which was nice to have deeper chats with a the others.

Details have been sent off to sandy...

do they now all appear on a central page?

ie something to link to before i start organising the next one?