Unactivated Coins In Caches

BlueDeuce

Often when people report here that they are unable to log a coin because it isn't activated, posters will state that it could be a gift coin. It's super that it happens but are many gifters just dropping coins with no information that it's a gift and not giving activation instructions?

I can understand not mentioning a gift coin in a cache log so there is no greedy rush to grab it, but why no note with the coin? Or am I only seeing things from the 'problems reported' perspective.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I leave coins all the time in caches and i always make sure they are in the sleeve with the activation site and i always write PRIZE.

I have heard of a few people having coins and not knowing how to activate them so they dropped them in a cache so someone else may be able to figure them out.

I do not post where i drop coins.

There is five to ten i have dropped and nobody has been to the cache since then and i do not log i have been there :?) I am bad at looging finds!!!!

...why no note with the coin? ....

Swag is the tradition. Travelers are a special case. Besides nobody could read my writing if I did leave a note.

There is such a thing called a printer where you can print notes off the computer in clear and legible characters.

Swag is the tradition. Travelers are a special case. Besides nobody could read my writing if I did leave a note.

There is such a thing called a printer where you can print notes off the computer in clear and legible characters.

I never doubted Renegade Knight's approach, right or wrong. I just want a better understanding of how people are placing gift coins.

I like all my blue ducks in a row so if people are dropping coins I'm not going to criticize them for doing it. I just want to know how it's done. There seem to be a lot of gift coins out there.

I place the following note with our gift coins --- "This coin is intended to be a gift for the person who finds it. The activation code is: ++++++. Enjoy! Steve and Luise" I keep records of where the coin is placed and its activation code. Never know when you might need the information.

Egads man. Now it's work. Write up a note ,find the right font to fit in that little plastic sleeve the coins are in and then stuff the sleeves individually. It's so much easier for me to just drop my swag coins in my swag bag and when I get the urge to drop a coin just do it. I'm lazy about my fun. When the fun starts to resemble work, well I have enough of that, that i need to catch up on already.

Egads man. Now it's work. Write up a note ,find the right font to fit in that little plastic sleeve the coins are in and then stuff the sleeves individually. It's so much easier for me to just drop my swag coins in my swag bag and when I get the urge to drop a coin just do it. I'm lazy about my fun. When the fun starts to resemble work, well I have enough of that, that i need to catch up on already.

Besides I bet his printer prints eligibly too (snork :rolleyes: )

I've found two unactivated coins in Caches...neither of them had a note. I think one was mentioned in the logbook.

When I drop unactivated coins, I usually put it in a manila coin envelope, and write a note about trading fairly, and the avarage value of a coin. This way they will know what they are getting, and how to trade fairly for it. That takes me a couple of minutes(including finding the envelopes) so sometimes I don't bother.

If they can't figure it out, well...