Household Items That Make Good Containers

Boneman65

neither does an ammo can hold up to keeping out humidity, but most people seem to be fine using those.

Unless ammo cans have changed drastically in the recent past, they don't utilize a non-gasketed slip on lid. As I recall from the last time I opened one, (about 5 minutes ago), ammo cans utilize a high pressure compression gasket incorporated into a rather durable lid. As such, I would rate them as quite a bit better at repelling moisture than what is, essentially, a mini cookie tin. No container will keep moisture out if opened during a hurricane, but ammo cans will keep moisture out in all but the most drastic scenarios. A metal tin whose lid simply squeezes in place probably can't make the same claim. For an arid environment, I imagine those spice containers would do fine, but if your state has more than, say, 1% average humidity, I'm thinking they might not be adequate even when tucked out of direct contact with rain.

neither does an ammo can hold up to keeping out humidity, but most people seem to be fine using those.

Unless ammo cans have changed drastically in the recent past, they don't utilize a non-gasketed slip on lid. As I recall from the last time I opened one, (about 5 minutes ago), ammo cans utilize a high pressure compression gasket incorporated into a rather durable lid. As such, I would rate them as quite a bit better at repelling moisture than what is, essentially, a mini cookie tin. No container will keep moisture out if opened during a hurricane, but ammo cans will keep moisture out in all but the most drastic scenarios. A metal tin whose lid simply squeezes in place probably can't make the same claim. For an arid environment, I imagine those spice containers would do fine, but if your state has more than, say, 1% average humidity, I'm thinking they might not be adequate even when tucked out of direct contact with rain.

One of my first caches was an altoids tin and the log was in a mini ziplock inside it. I had this wedged into a crack in the side of a log. It was only out for a year or so but the log was still nice and dry and the container itself was starting to rust. Not perfect but I suppose I would use it again for a quick fix until I found a more suitable container. My new favorite cache container is the first aid kits that you can buy at target. They have a nice gasket on them and its too early to tell but I think it'll be fine for a couple years in the wild. What is that stuff that you guys use to protect the gasket? Some kind of silcone spray or something like that. I'm hoping to pick some up soon. I'd like to have it in my maintance kit for when I'm cachin'. Right now I'm doing a test on a peanut butter jar. I bought some thin foam sheets in the craft section of target and I used the jar itself to make the circle in the foam and then I cut out the foam just slightly bigger then that circle and it fits perfectly in the top. Right now its upside down in a pot of water. I have a rock holding a wad of TP to the lid which will be the first place that see's water if there's any leaks at all. This is the same exact jar that I put water in and shook it good to clean out the excess peanut butter and it leaked pretty dang bad. Hopefully this actually does the trick. If not I'll try adding a 2nd and maybe a third foam circle or I'll go to the auto store and buy some gasket maker and try that around the inside of the jar lid. I'll let you know how my test comes out. This is day 1 and next friday I'll dry off the jar good and pop it open to see if there's any water inside. Swizzle

In regards to PVC pipe caches... Has anyone ever seen one that used a test plug to seal it? These things are designed to keep a good seal at varying pressures. They're what we used when we had to disconnect our gutters from the city sewer.

I'd be curious if anyone has ever used one for a cache. It seems like they would work, as long as they were correctly reattached after each visit.

http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&am...mNumber=4263745

Not perfect but I suppose I would use it again for a quick fix until I found a more suitable container.

I know it's largely a matter of personal preference, and there really is no wrong answer, but I would rather have my cache disabled for a bit longer, rather than subject my caching community to a crappy container, even as a temporary fix. I would hate for the community to associate me with caches which do not protect their contents. About your peanut butter jar tests: One bit of caution I would urge regarding crafting foam is, if you get the lighter density, it can actually act as a wick, drawing moisture into the cache. Another thing I've noticed, (which I hope someone with a more scientific background can explain), is that sometimes, containers that survive extended immersion tests, fail utterly when placed out in the garden, wiggled into pine needles for a month or so. Ground vapors creeping in because the seal is not being compressed by water pressure on the components? Maybe? :blink:

Has anyone ever seen one that used a test plug to seal it?

I have, on a few caches. All of them had moisture issues. I suspect that, at some point in the history of these caches, someone lacked sufficient hand strength to properly seal them. On one of these, the test plug came out with just a gentle tug, without even having to unscrew the center wingnut. In my mind, this really isn't a cache issue as it is a cacher issue, but any container with a 100% failure rate, (in my personal experience), is enough of a concern that I wouldn't consider it for a cache.

"Household Items That Make Good Containers"

I don't know about you, but I have no ammo boxes or lock n locks laying around as household items. So to go back to the topic: Prescription type pill bottles are win. You can get them in all kinds of sizes. And if you don't know any elderly people most pharmacies sell them very cheap.

If your looking for cheap or free then go to wally world and ask for the opaque film cans. The ones white fuji ones. You'll get a few for free. Then go to the post office and get some tyvek shipping envelopes and cut out a few sheets for a simple scroll log. Tell everyone to bring their own pen and your done. Swizzle

In regards to PVC pipe caches... Has anyone ever seen one that used a test plug to seal it? These things are designed to keep a good seal at varying pressures. They're what we used when we had to disconnect our gutters from the city sewer.

I'd be curious if anyone has ever used one for a cache. It seems like they would work, as long as they were correctly reattached after each visit.

And if you DO NOT use a threaded adapter as the end piece.

Even so, it would look way too much like a pipe bomb.

I don't know about you, but I have no ammo boxes or lock n locks laying around as household items. So to go back to the topic: Prescription type pill bottles are win. You can get them in all kinds of sizes. And if you don't know any elderly people most pharmacies sell them very cheap.

Not many consider an ammo can as a 'household item' (like the Riffster and I do), however Lock 'n' Locks were primarily intended as household storage containers.

Rubbermaid also works fairly well, depending on the climate.

Here in the Arizona deserts (as was stated early on in this thread, post #10) there is no common plastic container that will last more than about a year, even if completely shaded 100% of the time. The desert heat drives the plasticisers out of the material, and it become brittle and easily cracks/breaks when handled.

On top of that, desert rodents just love to chew on plastic, even if it has no associated food odor.

Maybe if they made Teflon Mayonnaise jars.....

Only a metal container can hack it here.

Right now I'm doing a test on a peanut butter jar. I bought some thin foam sheets in the craft section of target and I used the jar itself to make the circle in the foam and then I cut out the foam just slightly bigger then that circle and it fits perfectly in the top. Right now its upside down in a pot of water. I have a rock holding a wad of TP to the lid which will be the first place that see's water if there's any leaks at all. This is the same exact jar that I put water in and shook it good to clean out the excess peanut butter and it leaked pretty dang bad. Hopefully this actually does the trick. If not I'll try adding a 2nd and maybe a third foam circle or I'll go to the auto store and buy some gasket maker and try that around the inside of the jar lid. I'll let you know how my test comes out. This is day 1 and next friday I'll dry off the jar good and pop it open to see if there's any water inside. Swizzle

I suspect your initial test will probably succeed! :D

Once you pass that hurdle, put some typical swag in the jar. Don't forget to include a metal toy car or two!

Then turn it over a couple of times, and then open and close the lid a couple of times. Be certain to crank it down tightly each time!

Repeat this procedure constantly while spending a relaxing evening watching the full-length movie of your choice.

Then go outside and drop the lid in the nearest mud-hole (you may need to create your own), wipe it clean with a rag, and then drop it in a couple of more times. While wiping it clean, be sure to clean it fast like a cacher trying to get it re-closed before someone finds them in the bushes with the cache.

Now your jar is ready for submergence test #2. :)

I've got about a dozen ammo cans in my garage, and another half dozen in the bed of my truck.

At least one in my Jeep and another in my wife's minivan. Been using them for many, many years.

I've never been to Wisconsin, so I don't have any opinions on medicine bottles there.

Here in Florida, (and I imagine anywhere else with a humidity level above 1%), they suck.

My test? Grab the bottle. Wiggle the lid. If it moves, at all, you do not have a waterproof container.

To date, I've never seen a medicine bottle that passed any kind of waterproof test.

If you absolutely must hide a low cost container, Wally World will sell you a match container for $0.88

Or, as Swizzle mentioned opaque film cans, (not the black & grey ones), work pretty good, and they are usually free.

Something I use as a personal standard:

If you use a container, and feel you have to add a baggie to keep the log dry, your container has already failed.

as far as household items for caches goes i have used the obvious pill bottles,plastic pens with the ball point still on but the ink tube removed.Camo those up and they can be tricky to find in a urban setting.I also use fake plants in different settings..As far as larger containers i have used PB jars..flower pots that i have glued tree bark all over as well small sticks.That makes for a perfect cover up out in the woods say over a jar or lock n lock..

I am curious as to why no one seems to use a dissecatent pack for absorbing moisture in some of these cache containers?

I am curious as to why no one seems to use a dissecatent pack for absorbing moisture in some of these cache containers?

Mostly because the tiny little packs don't absorb enough moisture to make them worth it, plus, once they have reached their limit, they are worthless.

All they are essentially is a sponge. They soak up the moisture, then become the source of moisture. Once their saturated, they do no further good anyway.

Edited by knowschad

Mostly because the tiny little packs don't absorb enough moisture to make them worth it, plus, once they have reached their limit, they are worthless.

All they are essentially is a sponge. They soak up the moisture, then become the source of moisture. Once their saturated, they do no further good anyway.

True, but not completely correct.

Those little packets are indeed useless for making a good container out of a bad one.

However (like a sponge) they can be dried out and re-used if the cache owner wanted to keep replacing them.

Having a few (or one larger one, they do come in different sizes) inside an essentially waterproof container could trap the minor moisture that gets in when a cacher opens the box (maybe on a rainy day?).

I've dumped over a cup of water out of a forest ammo can, but as most people, I still think these are the best. Just the seals need replacing now and then.

Costco has a great selection of containers for sale. (with PLASTIC lids)

Nice big ones you can buy for around ten bucks each and get free cashews or salsa with them!!!!

The salsa container I took a long time with to get the smell out of that one, but the cashew container was easy.

I buy very expensive powdered vitamins in plastic containers.

Those are very water tight and good quality containers. Better be for sixty bucks.

I've seen old nalgene water bottles that hold up really great. There are a lot now in thrift stores cheap because people are replacing them with BPA free bottles.

I generally put kleenex or paper towel inside the container (and something heavy) and submerge it under water for 24 hours. That seems to be a good test.

Here in the northwest lock and locks work well.

I just discovered a really cheap full line of lock and locks at an asian store called maybe H Mart.

(the H looks like an asian symbol, so hard to tell for sure).

If you have any of these near you CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

and a selection that is unimaginable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every size and shape imaginable, and some you would never have thought up!!!

These are BRAND NAME LOCK AND LOCKS for around the same price as the cheap knock offs!!!!

Edited by Sol seaker

Well my gasket test seemed to be working all right. I had it submerged for 4 days with no leaks at all. I decided that I needed to eat so the jar came out and I used the pot to cook my noodles and forgot to put it back in for the next 3 days of testing. So I decided to step it up a notch. There's a nice heavy rock already in it and I know cachers aren't always nice to caches so I tossed this one off of my deck into the bushes. A good 7 to 8 feet drop to the ground. I'll be sure to check it after we get another rain storm. Morning dew has been heavy the past few days too. Its been outside for about 3 days. My testing is only accounting for the beginning quality of the seal and does not account for human error. I think this jar is gonna weather it out for a few months in the bushes. Swizzle

One of my first caches was an altoids tin and the log was in a mini ziplock inside it. I had this wedged into a crack in the side of a log. It was only out for a year or so but the log was still nice and dry and the container itself was starting to rust. Not perfect but I suppose I would use it again for a quick fix until I found a more suitable container. My new favorite cache container is the first aid kits that you can buy at target. They have a nice gasket on them and its too early to tell but I think it'll be fine for a couple years in the wild. What is that stuff that you guys use to protect the gasket? Some kind of silcone spray or something like that. I'm hoping to pick some up soon. I'd like to have it in my maintance kit for when I'm cachin'. Right now I'm doing a test on a peanut butter jar. I bought some thin foam sheets in the craft section of target and I used the jar itself to make the circle in the foam and then I cut out the foam just slightly bigger then that circle and it fits perfectly in the top. Right now its upside down in a pot of water. I have a rock holding a wad of TP to the lid which will be the first place that see's water if there's any leaks at all. This is the same exact jar that I put water in and shook it good to clean out the excess peanut butter and it leaked pretty dang bad. Hopefully this actually does the trick. If not I'll try adding a 2nd and maybe a third foam circle or I'll go to the auto store and buy some gasket maker and try that around the inside of the jar lid. I'll let you know how my test comes out. This is day 1 and next friday I'll dry off the jar good and pop it open to see if there's any water inside. Swizzle

*nod* I've found altoid tins in the PacNW and other containers that have the log in a ziplock. I still think the screw-on spice tin will work as a cache and now, to spite the nay-sayers, I think I'll plan a series of caches upon my return to the states using said container. :blink:

I had forgotten all about my test and this post. I did find my PB container in the bushes about a month ago and everything was still nice and dry. Almost 5 months I'd say its as good as any other container as long as extra precautions are taken to keep it waterproof. I'd use it in a tree hole for sure. I'd also like to keep this type close to the road and above wet ground just to ensure it stays dry and easily accessible for maintenance. For extra water protection you could put a scroll log in a fuji film can inside the jar. Add a plastic zippy in case anyone wants to add there McJunk to the mix. One of my caches is an ammo can next to a waterfall. This is the second ammo can I've had in the same spot and both have needed maintenance due to condensation in the cache. Ammo cans are great but even they aren't perfect. Its all about location and I'm about to remove the ammo can and find a new container for the area. I'll probably be hiding it a good 100 feet from the original though. Swiz

Something I use as a personal standard:

If you use a container, and feel you have to add a baggie to keep the log dry, your container has already failed.

In colder climates, condensation is a real problem. Around here (Alberta Canada) expecialy in fall and spring, you get cachers opening caches during the day, letting in humidity, then at night the tempeture drops and all the humidity that was let in during the day condenses, and you have standing water in the bottom of the cache. I just opened up a new ammo can with a good seal, and everything was wet. The CO didn't use a baggie for the log book because he figued the ammo can was good enough, so the log book was also wet. Baggies are a good way to keep the log book dry when you get condensation inside of your cache container.

I don't have any out there, but I like peanut butter jars. Easy to camo, watertight as all get out, and last forever. I love finding geocaches in these.

What do you use?

PB jars are great. I've never found a wet one. That being said, you want to make sure to soak them in bleach and run them through the dishwasher before you put one in the field.

Come to think of it, neither have I. Coffee cans, on the other hand, suck. And five gallon pickle glass jars - don't go there - seen it once or twice.

No, they aren't. There's a reason for that foil seal under the plastic lid that you have to break open before making your sandwich.

The reason for that foil seal is tamper protection

Yes, I know. I was corrected on this back in August:

The patent calls it a 'tamper evident seal'.

Oh well, wrong again. Thanks for digging that up.

An entire industry created as a result of this incident

Where are people getting their ammo cans? I can't for the life of me find them for any less than $18 bucks a pop here in SoCal nowadays.

My local gun shop has them; $6 for the smaller (thirty caliber) ones and $10 for the larger (fifty caliber) ones. Or $15 for one of each size.

I have a household tin that I plan on using soon. It should be fine considering that it will be protected from precipitation.

I do have a PVC cache with a test plug. So far no problems. The test plug better work because you need to get the cache wet to retrieve it! It does depend on how tightly you close it though.

I've graduated to buying Lock & Lock knock offs. I have a bunch of the Farberware. They are just as good as L&L. They had them for $2 each last time and I bought a cart full.

I am also buying the dollar store kind now. I have had no problems with them and I don't have to fret if they get muggled. It sucks losing a $5 L&L!

beforew.th.jpg aftergbz.th.jpg

Where are people getting their ammo cans? I can't for the life of me find them for any less than $18 bucks a pop here in SoCal nowadays.

I get them at [gun] trade shows. The price went up last time I went but I was getting .30 cal for $4 and .50 cal for $5. Last time I went the price increased so I passed. I suspect that people were buying them to store ammo as everyone was hoarding ammo and guns after the election.

I suspect that people were buying them to store ammo

How... unusual. Next thing you'll be telling me people store food in their tupperware.

Over here around San Francisco, humidity and rain is not a problem for most of the year. Many geocaches, as long as they're not hidden next to a sprinkler, appear to be fine until the rain starts in winter.

I have a household tin that I plan on using soon. It should be fine considering that it will be protected from precipitation.

I do have a PVC cache with a test plug. So far no problems. The test plug better work because you need to get the cache wet to retrieve it! It does depend on how tightly you close it though.

I've graduated to buying Lock & Lock knock offs. I have a bunch of the Farberware. They are just as good as L&L. They had them for $2 each last time and I bought a cart full.

I am also buying the dollar store kind now. I have had no problems with them and I don't have to fret if they get muggled. It sucks losing a $5 L&L!

beforew.th.jpg aftergbz.th.jpg

I get them at [gun] trade shows. The price went up last time I went but I was getting .30 cal for $4 and .50 cal for $5. Last time I went the price increased so I passed. I suspect that people were buying them to store ammo as everyone was hoarding ammo and guns after the election.

How about those prescription bottles in the corner of the picture?

They are almost readable - you should be careful what's in the background of a picture!

I suspect that people were buying them to store ammo

How... unusual. Next thing you'll be telling me people store food in their tupperware.

Well they're not exactly the same thing now... :laughing: Maybe if you get the coffee that's sold in Lock & Lock containers...

Sorry, left out a smiley, it was meant to be a joke obviously :rolleyes:

I seem to have a strange compulsion to collect geocache containers (as in purchase or repurpose, not as in "pick up from the field"). Which is strange, considering I have very few hides. I have yet to purchase an ammo can, however. Haven't found a store that sells it in the area.

I like to look at thrift shops. You never know what you can get cheaply to make a cache out of. I have gotten Thermos containers that have worked well.

This one is a bit trickier though. So far some good reviews from head scratchers and a few that "don't have time for this decoy crap."

169ktpv1243033.th.jpg

6hkda11251872.th.jpg

I like to look at thrift shops. You never know what you can get cheaply to make a cache out of. I have gotten Thermos containers that have worked well.

This one is a bit trickier though. So far some good reviews from head scratchers and a few that "don't have time for this decoy crap."

169ktpv1243033.th.jpg

6hkda11251872.th.jpg

That's funny (and a touch sadistic). I'm sure it would have stumped me if I encountered that in the wild.

Good to read the Peanut Bar jars seem to be a good choice as I am somewhat new to this and started using Peanut Butter jars a while back thinking they would be good due to the screw on lid. So far they seem to be working ok for me but they haven't been out there that long. For my first hides I used something very readily available that don't seem to rate very high on this post. I have been planning on replacing them as I thought they might not be so great after all. I am refferring to the plastic coffee containers. I can see where the lids could be the biggest problem. I have had no complaints or problems but that may be due to the fact that I also have an over abundance of coffee CANS with lids which I placed inside the bigger plastic coffee containers. Double protection so to speak. Interesting and informative post by the way. thanks for the post.

FYI, something else that doesn't work is those little trapezoidal plastic containers that pencil lead comes in.

Early last winter I filled up my mechanical pencil at work and said to myself, "hmmm...micro?"

So I stuck a piece of paper in it and dropped in a cup of water for a week. Only the tiniest bit of dampness. Then I stuck it outside, where it got snowed on, for two weeks.

I won't say the paper was soaked, but if it had been a real cache, I would have marked it as 'needs maintenance'. Not a good container.

-Small or medium instant coffee jars (Hard plastic with a robust screw on top)

-Cigar tubes (Hard plastic, less than 80 cents)

-35 mm film canisters (Free from Target's photo dept, just ask) with an bike inner tube cut to slightly longer than length pulled over the entire film canister. Completely water proof.

I was thinking of using the inner tube with a grommet to make 35mm cans easy to hang. I also plan on using the fuji film cans for extra protection and the black non reflective surface makes them ideal for dark hidey holes. Besides I don't think I could get a bike inner tube stretched over an ammo can. Swiz

My wife buys this Sun laundry detergent sometimes. I save the containers to store my junk (hardware, tools, etc.) in the shop.

Anyway, I tested one for water-tightness....roll of toilet paper inside and hosed it around the yard with a spray of water. TP was good and dry, so I cammoed one....

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/w...pg?t=1270145537

.....and gave it to a local cacher as a replacement for one of thier ammo can hides that had been stolen. Far as I know it stayed dry until it was also stolen.

They are light, so you might have to weight them down with a bunch of swag or a brick.

there is a long thread about pvc pipe for cach containers

some flaming going on but after you sift thru it all some good infoMy Webpage