Household Items That Make Good Containers

Boneman65

I don't have any out there, but I like peanut butter jars. Easy to camo, watertight as all get out, and last forever. I love finding geocaches in these.

What do you use?

PB jars are great. I've never found a wet one. That being said, you want to make sure to soak them in bleach and run them through the dishwasher before you put one in the field.

I wouldn't use a peanut butter container where there might be bears (and many are allergic to peanuts) but mayonaise jars are good.

I am getting a cache ready that is a plastic gallon sized widemouth that was used for salad dressing in a restaurant. The lid isn't watertight as it is but with the help of some good quality automotive gasket material, it will be when it's placed.

If you want these gallon sized plastic containers, just go behind a large upper end restaurant and look in their garbage. Or you could just knock on the kitchen door and ask for one.

What do you use?

I agree with the mayo jar container, if it has a plastic lid. The steel lids rust and get nasty.

Here's what does NOT work: Those big, plastic, red Folger's coffee containers with the black plastic snap-on lids. We have a plethora of those used around here, and the contents of those are always wet. They are sub-standard caching containers.

Lock and lock boxes are ideal, and come in multiple sizes.

Before trying a new container style, drop a piece of paper in it, and stick it outside in the flower bed for a month. See how the contents fare. The field test will tell you volumes.

I wouldn't use a peanut butter container where there might be bears (and many are allergic to peanuts) but mayonaise jars are good.

Bears are allergic to peanuts?!? Poor Pooh I had no idea? Swizzle

:D

Pooh was into Hunny, remember?

pooh_hunny.gif

Edited by bittsen

Bears are allergic to peanuts?!? Poor Pooh I had no idea? Swizzle

Pooh was into Hunny, remember?

pooh_hunny.gif

That's only because peanut butter made him sick. Swizzle

A lot depends what part of the world you live / cache in.........Here in the Desert South West, plastic does not hold up well at all (tupperware, lock & lock, pb jars, etc etc.) Amno Cans are #1, even cookie / candy tins seem to do well (Little Rain / Moisture) Even if the caches are sheltered from the direct sun the static heat does a number on the plastics.............lucky to get more than a year out of a contanier

I don't have any out there, but I like peanut butter jars. Easy to camo, watertight as all get out, and last forever. I love finding geocaches in these.

What do you use?

If the finder doesn't get the lid cross threaded they are great. I put a note in mine to remind them to be careful and not cross thread. Hope that works.

Peanut Butter and mayonnaise containers are not waterproof.

Answer: Ammo cans and Lock and Locks.

Yes, they are.

No, they aren't. There's a reason for that foil seal under the plastic lid that you have to break open before making your sandwich.

PVC pipe with a screw cap and seal. Its waterproof because its made to hold water.

Not in practice. There's pressurized water and there's slowly seeping moisture. Many PVC screw-top lids have succumbed to the later.

Edited by Castle Mischief

As a "free" container, peanut butter and mayonnaise containers are pretty darn good. If hidden in a relatively protected area or spot that is not prone to water directly hitting or submersing the containers, these make pretty good containers for those on the cheap.

PVC pipe with a screw cap and seal. Its waterproof because its made to hold water.

But they are hard to close right, hard to open and to the uninformed look like a pipe bomb.

Extremely bad container in my opinion.

In addition to those points, I've never found a PVC style cache that was dry.

Any idea why PVC cache containers are so poor?

It doesn't make sense.

One the list of house hold containers, plastic peanut butter and mayo containers are probably at the top of the list. Those cheap coffee containers and flimsy Glad-ware containers are very poor.

Some make-up and moisturizer containers are pretty good too. Check the the lid for a seal and make sure the threads are tight. (Takes several full twist to put on)

The paper log in the flower bed for a month is a very good test, but also anticipate wear and tear on the container. Don't assume that every cacher that's in a hurry wont put the lid back on tightly. Also, asset how easily a piece of swag or a zip loc bag can get caught in the lid.

I've found thousands of peanut butter jar caches here in the northern midwest. They seem to be about as water-tight as anything. Even an ammo box can get water in when its raining, or someone knocks a bunch of snow inside when winter caching.

Maybe I'm just prejudiced against non-ammo cans.

The leaky peanut butter jars I've found were cracking because of sunlight and heat or were otherwise dented and the plastic weakened.

I also believe that no amount of washing and bleach soaking will completely remove the scent of food from the peanut butter jar. I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong on this point, but I'm still going to go with my gut and purchase containers that have never been used to hold food.

There are two brands of screw-top containers available at most retail stores- one has a blue lid and one has a clear lid (I can't recall the brand names). The clear lidded ones have served me well, the blue lidded ones are more prone to cross-threading.

No, they aren't. There's a reason for that foil seal under the plastic lid that you have to break open before making your sandwich.

Yeah, to ensure that no one has tampered with the contents before you make that first sandwich.

I'm 98% sure that it's primary intended function is to keep moisture and any airborne contaminants out. I think the chances of and occurrences of food tampering are vastly outnumbered by the chances and reality of spoilage.

Certainly not a household item, but I use a lot of these:

23072.jpg

They're called Therapak cannisters. Thick walled and durable, they have a rubber o-ring gasket in the lid. Their original purpose is to transport frozen biological specimens. I've not had one leak yet and I think I've hidden about 20 in the last year or so. Email me if you'd like to get some.

Ammo cans and LocknLocks.

Agreed. Little else holds up well out in Nature or keeps water out as well.

LocknLocks only last a year or two in my experience, anything plastic is that way.

Seems to be a Southwest thing. That point has been brought up here before by cachers in Arizona. Too much heat and UV, I suspect.

No container is waterproof. The trick is finding a container that works in a specific cache location. For some, that's an altoids tin. For others, that's an ammo box. Properly prepared PB and mayo jars are perfectly fine in many locations.

Yeah, to ensure that no one has tampered with the contents before you make that first sandwich.

I'm 98% sure that it's primary intended function is to keep moisture and any airborne contaminants out. I think the chances of and occurrences of food tampering are vastly outnumbered by the chances and reality of spoilage.

I betcha that those seals started being used right after the food tampering scare several years ago. I suppose that it could just be a coincidence.

I betcha that those seals started being used right after the food tampering scare several years ago. I suppose that it could just be a coincidence.

We're heading further into OT territory, but I think they are native to plastic containers and were put in place for instances where something like the rubber inside the soda bottle cap wouldn't work. I'm doing some research.

We're heading further into OT territory, but I think they are native to plastic containers and were put in place for instances where something like the rubber inside the soda bottle cap wouldn't work. I'm doing some research.

The patent calls it a 'tamper evident seal'.

PVC requires silicone tape and to be tourqued to be watertight. You would never be able to make it watertight and openable.

PB jars, unless they are submerged will stay dry inside.

Lock n locks are ok, except they are hard to close if there are baggies inside.

Email me if you'd like to get some.

Those look way kewl! E-mail sent.

Back on topic: One of our local legends uses what appears to be peanut butter jars.

When I asked, he said they were used to ship pickled eggs.

The only ones I've found that had moisture issues showed signs of critter tampering.

He does paint his jars, which may reduce UV damage?

I'd rate them as pretty darn good for a high humidity environment like Florida.

On the myth that PVC pipes hold water in, so they must hold water out:

I've found maybe 3 dozen PVC pipe caches. Of these, one was dry inside.

I'd call that myth busted.

I've found my fair share of PB Jars. My observations point to problems mostly with the ones that have Camo Tape used on the outsides. The tape degrades in the elements (water, heat sun, etc..) and tends to make a real mess.

If you use PB Jars, please at least a) thoroughly wash, bleach, etc. then dry, rub with some steel wool (fine) on the outside and give a coat of the Fusion Ultra Flat Camo spray paint. I use a good base coat followed by short blobs, and stripes with at least two other colors (I think the Fusion Camo line has 4 or 5 different colors).

I've used this on my 1.5 quart round Lock n Locks (Actually "Everything's a Dollar" store knock offs) and they've held up nicely so far - one month in the field and they are still dry as a bone inside.

I've got a peach jar that I need to sanitize and paint to get ready to go out too - Dole peaches come in a nice plastic jar that have a closed cell foam gasket built into the lid. I'm going to give that a shot eventually.

Found only one PVC pipe, soaking wet inside. There really isn't a good way to seal PVC unless you use some special type of closure.

Beach safes also make nice little micros, or small caches sizes. I've got 3 of those camo painted and ready to go.

All I really need is time to get some hides setup. This thread made me realize that in addition to the peach jar, 3 small beach safes and the 5 7.62mm ammo cans, and 5 50cal ammo cans that I need to get my butt in gear....

If there was only a way to get paid to Geocache....

I've found my fair share of PB Jars. My observations point to problems mostly with the ones that have Camo Tape used on the outsides. The tape degrades in the elements (water, heat sun, etc..) and tends to make a real mess.

If you use PB Jars, please at least a) thoroughly wash, bleach, etc. then dry, rub with some steel wool (fine) on the outside and give a coat of the Fusion Ultra Flat Camo spray paint. I use a good base coat followed by short blobs, and stripes with at least two other colors (I think the Fusion Camo line has 4 or 5 different colors).

I've used this on my 1.5 quart round Lock n Locks (Actually "Everything's a Dollar" store knock offs) and they've held up nicely so far - one month in the field and they are still dry as a bone inside.

I've got a peach jar that I need to sanitize and paint to get ready to go out too - Dole peaches come in a nice plastic jar that have a closed cell foam gasket built into the lid. I'm going to give that a shot eventually.

Found only one PVC pipe, soaking wet inside. There really isn't a good way to seal PVC unless you use some special type of closure.

Beach safes also make nice little micros, or small caches sizes. I've got 3 of those camo painted and ready to go.

All I really need is time to get some hides setup. This thread made me realize that in addition to the peach jar, 3 small beach safes and the 5 7.62mm ammo cans, and 5 50cal ammo cans that I need to get my butt in gear....

If there was only a way to get paid to Geocache....

I just finished the last of a jar of peanut butter, (made a sandwich for my dog :laughing: ) I then started to clean it out. Its a cheap save a lot brand, planners? I filled it half full of water and dish soap and gave it a couple quick shakes to give it kind of a pre-rinse. As I was shaking it the water was dripping out from the top. I was going to do an outdoor test complete with pics and such but if it can't hold water in to start with then its not going to keep water out. Should I try a different type of peanut butter or would that automotive gasket stuff work to help seal it? As far as the fusion paints go, they work good but please take course sandpaper to the plastic and wipe it off good before you paint it. I've had better luck with course grain sandpaper then I have with the steel wool. It gives the container a nice rough look. It will start to flake off in a month if you don't. So far everything I've sanded and then painted has turned out just fine.

I'll have to look for the dole peaches just to see how they work compared to the peanut butter jars. Maybe this should be another catagory but what have you used for gasket materials in low end conatiners that don't have one? I've used plastic shopping bags and they might not be perfect but it does seem to work. I also saw some foam sticker material at the dollar store. Maybe these would work. I'll have to give it a good try. Swizzle

I've found probably 2 dozen caches in PVC pipes. I think one was dry inside.

I recall that recently somebody mentioned that a large ball valve on the end of a PVC pipe does a very good job of keeping moisture out. Of course, it would have to be large enough that you could shake out the contents of the pipe through the valve.

I've found probably 2 dozen caches in PVC pipes. I think one was dry inside.

I recall that recently somebody mentioned that a large ball valve on the end of a PVC pipe does a very good job of keeping moisture out. Of course, it would have to be large enough that you could shake out the contents of the pipe through the valve.

That was a submerged cache, at that!

well im my opinion

if you have any old coleman camping bottles

i used one of them for my first cache

it had a rubber o-ring gasket

and it is sheltered under some logs

so when its winter the o-ring wont freeze like on the space shuttle challenger or discovery i think

and if it does the logs will protect it from snow :)

:ph34r::anibad::blink:;):lol::lol::lol::D:P:):mad:

You're right. I've been eating pb for close to 60 years, and it wasn't until after the Tylenol tampering that seals started to appear.

Ikea Grundtal spice containers have pretty strong magnets.

AAAAC1Vi7MwAAAAAAC4u1w.jpg

Perfect size to contain a log book and a few coins or small TBs.

I have 2 waiting for me to return to the states and find hiding places for them.

They may be fine when hidden in an area that is sheltered from the weather, but I don't think those would stand up to the least bit of fog, much less real weather.

I have 2 waiting for me to return to the states and find hiding places for them.

They may be fine when hidden in an area that is sheltered from the weather, but I don't think those would stand up to the least bit of fog, much less real weather.

well, neither does an ammo can hold up to keeping out humidity, but most people seem to be fine using those. :mad:

well, neither does an ammo can hold up to keeping out humidity, but most people seem to be fine using those. :mad:

Ammo cans are awesome at keeping out humidity. The problem is when people find the cache in the rain and water gets in before the container is resealed. Then, you end up with a mini rain forest inside.