Garmin Oregon Paperless?

georooks

I just would like to verify that the Garmin Oregon GPS can be used for paperless caching. Does it indeed load the description and previous logs. Also, if I understand correctly it comes preloaded with maps, are these the updated maps from Garmin and topo only?

thanks,

Rooks

Yes, it's paperless.

Preloaded maps, if any, depend on the model you buy. For caching, it's typically going to be the 400t, which comes with the standard Garmin 1:100K topos (not routable).

And if you want routing maps, remember that you can't view the topo maps while routing and that you'll need to set the unit up properly in order to view the map you want to see. I loaded CN and a topo map expecting to be able to route AND view topos at the same time (this can be done with the PN-40), NOPE! In order to view the topos, you'll either need to disable CN when not using OR figure out how to set the profiles up so the maps are displayed when wanted...or so I'm told this can be done!

Yes, it's paperless.

Preloaded maps, if any, depend on the model you buy. For caching, it's typically going to be the 400t, which comes with the standard Garmin 1:100K topos (not routable).

And if you want routing maps, remember that you can't view the topo maps while routing and that you'll need to set the unit up properly in order to view the map you want to see. I loaded CN and a topo map expecting to be able to route AND view topos at the same time (this can be done with the PN-40), NOPE! In order to view the topos, you'll either need to disable CN when not using OR figure out how to set the profiles up so the maps are displayed when wanted...or so I'm told this can be done!

This is easy enough to be done. The Oregon allows you to specify which maps are being used for each profile. For example, my geocaching profile uses a combination of the preloaded Topo 2008, and several overlay maps that I've made for trails and other things. Automotive profile loads my Metroguide NA maps that I converted to routable using Metrowizzz.

Switching is just two presses on the screen 1) Change Profile 2) Automotive or Geocaching. When you switch from Geocaching and have the next closest selected as your Goto point it will auto-calcuate the route and off you go.

If you want to have Topo maps overlaying your CityNavigator (or other routable map) then there are freeware utilities out there that can reprocess the USGS topos making them 'transparent' (no background - just the elevation lines) and then overlay them onto another map. I haven't done this but don't see that it would be too difficult after converting some trail maps.

Of course to answer the OP's direct question - yes, the Oregon is a paperless capable unit. Keep in mind that you get the last 5 logs, full description, hint but don't get the images if any are part of the description.

Hey my Garmin Topo 24K microSD has both topo and routable streets displayed together. I believe this is the same with the newer Garmin Topo 24K DVD as well.

I'm using an Oregon 300 now (paperless), and prior to this my 60CSx (non paperless) would also display the topo and roads together with the same Topo 24K microSD.