Outgoing e-mail server down?

Cache O'Plenty

Is the e-mail server stuck again? I haven't received any Groundspeak e-mail since yesterday. I disabled and enabled a cache that I own and never received copies of those notices. Also, PQs didn't arrive last night although the site reports they were generated. I use Comcast and have never had any e-mail throttled by them.

I can't get pocket queries also? Tried 3 different ones and they still haven't come.

Is the e-mail server stuck again? I haven't received any Groundspeak e-mail since yesterday. I disabled and enabled a cache that I own and never received copies of those notices. Also, PQs didn't arrive last night although the site reports they were generated. I use Comcast and have never had any e-mail throttled by them.

Working fine for me (Cox.net email).

I've been getting publication and found notices all day and I just ran a PQ and got the email immediately.

Count me in as one of those who isn't getting any mail from Groundspeak. I haven't received anything from them since yesterday morning. This includes Watch List notifications and owner notifications.

About 11:00 this morning EDT, I ordered up five pocket queries. From all appearances they ran (the lines in the table are bolded and the "Last Generated" entries indicate they were generated), I simply never received them.

Before anyone asks, it's not my ISP (Insight Communications/RoadRunner) and it isn't my spam filter, I've checked all those possibilities already.

--Larry

I like that they published such a notice. But, even if they started early, that doesn't explain the 24 hours of no mail. And, from what this notice said, the GC.com website should be down too. It's not at the moment. (nor is this forum site).

And, oh by the way, not receiving forum notices either. Same set of servers????

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I've received several today - one in the last 20 minutes. I use my own server.

Seems fine.

This phenomenon seems to occur almost every time there's a problem with mail delivery from Groundspeak servers: Only a subset of users is affected, while others aren't. This is the first time, after more than three years of using the site and the forums, that the problem has bitten me.

It makes me wonder whether accounts might be somehow divvied up among multiple servers so that, at least with some incidents, only some users are affected while the lucky ones aren't.

Whatever's going on, I hope it's resolved soon; I leave first thing tomorrow morning for an out-of-state trip, and if I don't get the pocket queries I requested early today, there will be no (or very little) caching on this trip.

--Larry

I use Road Runner also. No notifications or PQ's.

I set up a gmail account and set one notification of an active cache area and right off the bat, finds and DNF's notifications started coming in.

So I think it's a Road Runner problem, not a GC.Com problem.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I hate web based e-mail and prefer to use my Road Runner e-mail with Thunderbird as my client.

Edit: I just configured Thunderbird to use with Gmail. Works like a charm. I will send some duplicate notifications to Road Runner so I'll know when that address starts working again. It's all good now. Gmail is your friend.

Edited by todd300

I use Road Runner also. No notifications or PQ's.

I set up a gmail account and set one notification of an active cache area and right off the bat, finds and DNF's notifications started coming in.

So I think it's a Road Runner problem, not a GC.Com problem.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I hate web based e-mail and prefer to use my Road Runner e-mail with Thunderbird as my client.

Edit: I just configured Thunderbird to use with Gmail. Works like a charm. I will send some duplicate notifications to Road Runner so I'll know when that address starts working again. It's all good now. Gmail is your friend.

I also use Road Runner and I got my (3) PQs this morning but I asked for one this evening 2 hours ago. No email yet. They say it is generated. Is there a way to get the PQ directly from their server?

I just noticed this thread as I was about to take the network down for maintenance. At quick glance, I don't see any issues with the mail server. There is a little more queued email on the server than normal, but nothing alarming. I'll look into this as soon as the network maintenance is completed.

:D Elias

Road Runner has added us to their internal blacklist for some reason and they are rejecting all mail we try to send to them. This is the current result from their lookup tool:

Road Runner Block Query Results For 66.150.167.157

Current Road Runner Block Report for IP address: 66.150.167.157
Date of Report: Thu Aug 13 01:37:20 EDT 2009

DNS Reverse (i.e., PTR record) Lookup	   : signal.Groundspeak.com

Cloudmark Sender Intelligence			   : Not blocked by this list
Spamhaus (ZEN)							  : Not blocked by this list
Return Path Sender Score Reputation Score   : 55
Return Path Sender Score Blacklist		  : Not blocked by this list
MAPS RBL-Plus							   : Not blocked by this list
Road Runner Internal Name-Based Block	   : Not blocked by this list
Road Runner Internal IP Address-Based Block : Mail Refused - 66.150.167.157

No historical record of Road Runner Internal IP Address-Based block of 66.150.167.157

I've followed the link on this page to request removal, but the message says that it could take up to 10 hours for removal. For those of you with Road Runner accounts, you may want to contact Road Runnner Support to see if you can have the removal request expedited.

:D Elias

I received an e-mail response from RoadRunner directing me to their security site (apparently the same site above). Fortunately, I had your IP address to use for the search! It had a "Request Removal for this IP" link which I clicked. Maybe if they get enough clicks.......

I also sent an update with the above info to the contact that responded to my initial e-mail complaint. We will see.....

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

So this explains why I have not email from you. This is not very good for customer relations. But then again they do not care about having good customers otherwise they would not have blocked Groundspeak.

I now have to go to work and have no internet so there is nothing I can do for the next 9 hours. When I get back I will fire something off to them.

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

Get Gmail. If you really like RoadRunner for other reasons, you can have all your Gmail automatically forwarded to RoadRunner.

With all the free and cheap email hosting that's available, I can't understand why anyone would tie their email to their ISP. Changing your email address is more time-consuming than changing your home address.

RoadRunner is my pipe to get online - that's all. I make use of none of their other "services", for various reasons.

Seems the block has been lifted. I received my first "noreply@Groundspeak.com" e-mail at 6:48 am today. And have received several more since then.

Of course, that's would be after PQs were generated and sent so I've now lost two days worth of PQs. And my weekly "My Finds". Bad timing. Oh well, I'll be back on track in a few days. However, I do have a small offline database for my area so I'm not totally dead in the water. But glad I wasn't planning a trip out of the area.

As for which e-mail provider to use, they all practice "blocking" to some extent. It's just that this time it was RoadRunner. RoadRunner had never been an issue in the four years I've used it.

This thread started just yesterday at 10:45 am and it was fixed less than 24 hours later. Pretty quick in my mind.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

While at work I called and after talking to a couple of people who finally put me to National Tech support. That person had a hard time understanding what I was talking about. After about 10 mins of her trying to get me to check this and that I got through to her as to what was going on.

So after some talking and me complaining I now have some money coming off of my bill. I told them that I consider this the same thing as someone getting into my mail box and stilling my US Post Office mail.

I am glad this is fixed as I now have my PQs and Notifies to read.

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

So after some talking and me complaining I now have some money coming off of my bill. I told them that I consider this the same thing as someone getting into my mail box and stilling my US Post Office mail.

You own your physical mailbox (plus, it's a federal offense to tamper with it).

Read your fine print - no such protections on your email account. Your ISP owns it.

Road Runner has added us to their internal blacklist for some reason and they are rejecting all mail we try to send to them. This is the current result from their lookup tool:

Road Runner Block Query Results For 66.150.167.157

Current Road Runner Block Report for IP address: 66.150.167.157
Date of Report: Thu Aug 13 01:37:20 EDT 2009

DNS Reverse (i.e., PTR record) Lookup	   : signal.Groundspeak.com

Cloudmark Sender Intelligence			   : Not blocked by this list
Spamhaus (ZEN)							  : Not blocked by this list
Return Path Sender Score Reputation Score   : 55
Return Path Sender Score Blacklist		  : Not blocked by this list
MAPS RBL-Plus							   : Not blocked by this list
Road Runner Internal Name-Based Block	   : Not blocked by this list
Road Runner Internal IP Address-Based Block : Mail Refused - 66.150.167.157

No historical record of Road Runner Internal IP Address-Based block of 66.150.167.157

I've followed the link on this page to request removal, but the message says that it could take up to 10 hours for removal. For those of you with Road Runner accounts, you may want to contact Road Runnner Support to see if you can have the removal request expedited.

:rolleyes: Elias

I did follow the link this AM, of course, they unblocked Groundspeak in time for me to get one PQ.

Any chance we could get out PQ's re run?

Read your fine print - no such protections on your email account. Your ISP owns it.

Yes I know. That is why I said I CONSIDER it that way.

We also pay them to deliver email and other digital information to us. They failed on that.

But anyway I got money off of my bill. So that speaks load.

kf4oox - Paul

We also pay them to deliver email and other digital information to us. They failed on that.
Guess what - the contract allows them to fail, with minimal recourse for you (you don't have an SLA that they're held to, do you?). Your ISP guarantees nothing. They can and will refuse any email or service they wish (did your bill go down when they discontinued their NNTP service? Nope - you were paying for it before, now you're getting less service, for the same monthly rate). Money off your bill is just to placate you & keep you coming back, instead of ditching them for another ISP (except in most places in the US, there's no choice in broadband in the first place).

Yes I know. That is why I said I CONSIDER it that way.

But anyway I got money off of my bill. So that speaks load.

kf4oox - Paul

How much did they take off your bill?

Seems the block has been lifted. I received my first "noreply@Groundspeak.com" e-mail at 6:48 am today. And have received several more since then.

Of course, that's would be after PQs were generated and sent so I've now lost two days worth of PQs. And my weekly "My Finds". Bad timing. Oh well, I'll be back on track in a few days. However, I do have a small offline database for my area so I'm not totally dead in the water. But glad I wasn't planning a trip out of the area.

As for which e-mail provider to use, they all practice "blocking" to some extent. It's just that this time it was RoadRunner. RoadRunner had never been an issue in the four years I've used it.

This thread started just yesterday at 10:45 am and it was fixed less than 24 hours later. Pretty quick in my mind.

Use gmail or msn.com's hotmail.

Edited by Team Cotati