My first cache has been approved...

smstext

My first cache got approved last night. As some of you know im new here and after a few emails with the reviewer and trying to understand what waypoints are and how to enter them i eventually managed to get it right and get it approved.

So a BIG thank you to Graculus for his kind words and approval, hopefully this will encourage other geocachers how easy it is to get a cache approved as if a newbie like me can get it done :D

How often are you checking to see if it's been found? :)

That's one of the best bits about having a cache published - waiting to see who is FTF :P

Currently waiting for my 10th to be published - it's been in the queue since the beginning of the week ... must be patient, must be patient :D

I must admit that the reviewers have been really helpful to me as a newbie - I also struggled with Waypoints to start with and Deceangi talked me through alot of it step by step.

Hawkeye - don't know if this is a silly question - but is there a 'queue' that we can see to check if we are creeping up the list? Or were you talking metaphorically?

It is a lot of fun waiting to see who will be the FTF, there are a handful of folk in my area that seem to generally be quick out of the starting blocks - it's good to guess who will get there first.

It's also a bit 'worrying' incase you've got a coordinate/clue wrong, or in the case of a multi if you've calculated the clues wrong.

All good fun though :D

I walk pass the cache everyday (thus the name Frodo's butterfly walk) already have a FTF who has added a TB and as i have a new cache going out this weekend i will move the tb over to this one so both will have a tb :D however the next one wont have me over it everyday, probably just once a week, but close enough to maintain if need be.

Hawkeye - don't know if this is a silly question - but is there a 'queue' that we can see to check if we are creeping up the list? Or were you talking metaphorically?

There is a reviewers queue, which we are working through at the moment. We have a bit of catching up to do as it is holiday season and we had a mega event to attend.

Hopefully the ones in front of you have followed the guidelines and wont need much reviewer effort so we can get to yours as quickly as possible.

There is a reviewers queue, which we are working through at the moment. We have a bit of catching up to do as it is holiday season and we had a mega event to attend.

Hopefully the ones in front of you have followed the guidelines and wont need much reviewer effort so we can get to yours as quickly as possible.

Yep, fully appreciate that, hence my comment:

must be patient, must be patient :rolleyes:

:D

And very efficient you are too - my latest was published less than 30 mins after I sent it this afternoon. I was most impressed!

Oh dear, turns out my new cache is in an SSSI, I shall move it to another location - can't be doing with contacting the 'managers' of the land - I guess they would say 'no' anyway, in case we disturb whatever is 'special'.

At least I have a church micro in the queue - hopefully that one will be okay.

Oh dear, turns out my new cache is in an SSSI, I shall move it to another location - can't be doing with contacting the 'managers' of the land - I guess they would say 'no' anyway, in case we disturb whatever is 'special'.

Don't be so sure! I know of lots of caches in SSSI areas with landowner permission.

I approached my local council about putting a cache out in an SSSI area and they loved the idea! Turns out they have to demonstrate that the area is open to a variety of different types of activity and geocaching was something they thought would be good to promote. They obviously want an input in where the cache is hidden, but otherwise have been really pro caching. I used a slightly modified version of the GAGB permission request letter and it gave them all the answers they needed.

Don't be so sure! I know of lots of caches in SSSI areas with landowner permission.

I approached my local council about putting a cache out in an SSSI area and they loved the idea! Turns out they have to demonstrate that the area is open to a variety of different types of activity and geocaching was something they thought would be good to promote. They obviously want an input in where the cache is hidden, but otherwise have been really pro caching. I used a slightly modified version of the GAGB permission request letter and it gave them all the answers they needed.

It certainly can be done, like mouse says they have to encourage use of the land. I've got a couple placed on protected land. All it took was having the warden with me and them saying yes or no to the location i'd found, just to make sure that there wasn't something there that might be damaged. Very easy and rewarding :laughing:

If it's on a wildlife trust site let me know as I have an agreement and an offer of a reference from Hampshire wildlife. :anicute:

At least I have a church micro in the queue - hopefully that one will be okay.

....as long as it isn't in the churchyard :laughing:

Chris (MrB)

I'm pretty clued up on churches and churchyards, having already fallen foul of this rule by placing a cache on the exterior of a churchyard fence. :anicute:

My new cache was approved at lunchtime (thanks Deci ;) ), just waiting for the usual suspects racing for the FTF - maybe they're all on holiday???

You may find my resource website useful as it has links to all the maps and websites that the reviewers use ( :laughing: ) so you can check locations yourself to see if they are SSSI's, Nature Reserves, Woodland Trust and so on.

Once you sort out your location you can even find out how to make your cache page look smart and glossy with some HTML code :anicute:

Chris (MrB)

Resource website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk