Bad Hide?

What, exactly, is the purpose of the skirt anyway?

I've seen plenty of lamp posts without them, or with slabs of concrete as "skirts" instead.

The intended purpose is to cover up the ugly bolts that would be left exposed if the skirt weren't there.

I contend that it is also a secret plot to keep both spiders and wasps around since the outdoors that they once lived has been turned into a parking lot, they are basically bug homeless shelters. Someone, somewhere, feels good about doing good.

What, exactly, is the purpose of the skirt anyway?

I've seen plenty of lamp posts without them, or with slabs of concrete as "skirts" instead.

I'm of the opinion that they are merely weather covers to protect the bolts that hold the lamp post assembly to the concrete base. And a Geocacher who is a master electrician seems to agree with me in this blog post which came up high on a Google search of "lamp post skirt". There appear to be many different styles by many different manufacturers. And I have seen some with no bolt protection whatsoever. This is just a theory though, I personally ignore such caches. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that if enough cachers are billed for an incident, other cachers will start thinking differently when hiding a cache! Permission is a good thing and often easy to obtain.
I'm guessing that no such billing is necessary since the government employees are already paid to do their jobs.

Further, if your next door neighbor thinks that you are acting suspiciously and calls the police, should you be charged for the visit?

You can attack my comment if you please, but I KNOW of one person who was asked to pay for their bomb call! I believe we discussed it before?? The owner in question even came in and talked about it...
I remember that thread, also. They asked him to pay and he agreed. Had he contested the charge, he likely would not have had to pay.

Oh, so paying a lawyer is better than paying the bomb squad??

Yes, for a couple of reasons. It would perhaps make other jurisdictions think twice before sending a geocacher a bill. Also, it would stop posts like the one that I've bolded, above.

You aren't implying that minorities are stupid, are you?? Because it sounds like you are. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. That was a thoughtless comment.

I know for a fact the majority of the police in the area ARE familiar with geocaching so I cant see how the whole incident went that far w/o a sargeant or someone coming by and realizing what it was. I also know there are hundreds of similar caches in the area and if even one of the cache owners were to have to pay for the time of 10 to 20 city employees for an afternoon it would be very chilling for the sport. Wyoming MI just a mile or two west of this location DOES charge for their services and it doesn't stop them from demanding tax dollars. The item on the WOOD website was almost nothing - on the day it happened it was a very big deal.

I don't know about you guys, but if I were a terrorist, trees and lamp skirts would be prime targets for my microbombs.

I think terrorists have bigger plans than to blow up a light pole.

As I said earlier, I doubt these bomb squads think they're stopping the next 9/11. They may be preventing some goofball kid's home science experiment from hurting someone. That makes it worth their while.

It is my opinion that there needs to be a website where bomb makers have to register their explosive devices and post the coordinates to where they have been hidden. That would make a much better tool than geocaching.com. If there is no bomb registered at those coordinates, the police could assume that the object is just a harmless geocache. Problem solved! :laughing:

By the way, I think that Google looks suspicious today:

orsted09.gif

Edited by knowschad

Oh, so paying a lawyer is better than paying the bomb squad??

Yes, for a couple of reasons. It would perhaps make other jurisdictions think twice before sending a geocacher a bill. Also, it would stop posts like the one that I've bolded, above.

I agree with sbell here. Iv'e even offered to send money to help pay the lawyer. I won't help pay the fine of someone who didn't fight a BS charge.