What Would You Ask Garmin

BlueDeuce

Bring back the favorite waypoint feature AGAIN for the etrex.

Also, bring back the search options when I press the lower left side button. What you offer now like 'Use with GPS off' or 'Single Color' is hardly the choices I want to see offered straight off. Searching for waypoints, cites, POIs, etc. should be available at a touch. Even a double click won't get me there.

"Why don't you use decent glue for the rubber surround?"

Yes please I would LOVE to hear an answer to that one! :D

The problem with the rubber trim falling off is STILL happening on new Etrex's, and it's been a problem for YEARS! Why can't Garmin fix this??!??! Yes I know there are some people whom have had no such problem with their Etrex's but I'm not one of those lucky ones :P

Edited by NordicMan

I would ask why the manuals for the Oregon, and Colorado leave out so much pertinent information. IE The max. size of the data card memory, and detailed info on how to load pocket queries on to the unit.

They seem to have gone downhill on that subject. When I bought a Vista HC a few years ago, it came with a pretty decent manual. My father-in-law has just bought a Vista HCx, and the accompanying documentation is very poor by comparison.

"Why don't use make one GPSr unit for reacreational use and make all map products available as purchase?"

This continual "new" release of product is nothing more than a way to try to show they're cutting edge, when it fact they're not. We don't need all these CO, OR and now Dakotas and we certainly don't need sport-specific units. Shouldn't one unit be capable of using any available map product.

Sounds ticked off right? I am. I wanted some golf mapping for my Oregon. Garmin introduces it's Approach G5 for $499, which is essentially an Oregon with golf maps. But they won't sell the maps to regualr Oregon users. How stupid is that in terms of marketing? The marketing is a gold only GPS. If you have a base GPS unit and let people purchase the maps they want, you'd cover more marketshare. Why would anyone plop $500 down no this unit and only use if for golf when there are cheaper units? As a golfer and avid outdoor person, wouldn't does Garmin expect me to buy two Oregons (the Approach is an Oregon)? Highly unlikely. So why not offer the maps to me? Oh, because you're screwing the Approach buyers out of $500 and want them to feel warm and fuzzy about their purchase and not have them think "Hey, I could have bought an Oregon 300 and added any map I wanted for cheaper and had a unit that I could use for gold, hiking, driving, and boating."

Garmin = stupid

Why can a device that networks with dozens of satellites to calculate my near exact location on the planet only display 30 character descriptions of caches?

Ha , yes, particularly annoying when only a handful of characters have been used in the name field, leaving half the screen blank anyway :D

<rant>

Ok here goes...

I have contacted Garmin directly about my eTrex H asking why they only allow (6) characters for a Geocache name instead of the now (7) character cache names.

Their response was "we don't currently have any plans to expand the number of character limitation of the cache name for the eTrex series, and we don't offer any download/hotfix/upgrade for this issue. We suggest you use additional software to convert the geocache name to a shorter version before transferring to your handheld."

For such a big company having a widely recognized name in GPS technology, you'd think a quick upgrade wouldn't be too much to ask for! It's a terrible pain to first download the information to another piece of software just to shorten the name, as opposed to when I could have just clicked the "send to gps" link.

By the way- for those that don't know, if you try to download two geocaches w/o shortening the name (ex: GC1234a and GC1234b) you'll get (1) copy of GC1234 which will then be overwritten by the second download's coordinates/info.

Ugh!

</rant>

I have contacted Garmin directly about my eTrex H asking why they only allow (6) characters for a Geocache name instead of the now (7) character cache names.

I wasn't being very clear above - I was referring to POIs, which can have about 100 characters in both the name and the description fields. It's a pain to have the end of a longer description disappearing when the name field only contains a few letters and the there are 3 &1/2 empty lines on screen.

But using POIs might be a good solution for the your problem with cache names?

Second, I would ask them to design an GPSr with the reliability of the 60CSx incorporated into the features of the Oregon.

DING DING DING, we have a winnah!

This was what I was going to ask: "When can we expect Garmin to take the hardware of the 60CSx and blend it with the software/UI of the Oregon series?"

Right now, there really is no upgrade from the 60CSx. It's the hands-down best "hardware" in Garmin's lines (the Sirf III accuracy, basically, is second to none). Upgrading simply to get paperless capabilities, or for a purty UI/touchscreen/camera just isn't appealing to the cacher who relies on accuracy.

I guess a second, tangentially related question would be: "What Einstein chose to put a Cartesio in the Oregon units?" :D

<rant>

Ok here goes...

Their response was "we don't currently have any plans to expand the number of character limitation of the cache name for the eTrex series, and we don't offer any download/hotfix/upgrade for this issue. We suggest you use additional software to convert the geocache name to a shorter version before transferring to your handheld."

For such a big company having a widely recognized name in GPS technology, you'd think a quick upgrade wouldn't be too much to ask for! It's a terrible pain to first download the information to another piece of software just to shorten the name, as opposed to when I could have just clicked the "send to gps" link.

By the way- for those that don't know, if you try to download two geocaches w/o shortening the name (ex: GC1234a and GC1234b) you'll get (1) copy of GC1234 which will then be overwritten by the second download's coordinates/info.

Ugh!

</rant>

Try shortening by removing a character or two from the front and you won't have that issue (as in drop the GC).

<rant>

By the way- for those that don't know, if you try to download two geocaches w/o shortening the name (ex: GC1234a and GC1234b) you'll get (1) copy of GC1234 which will then be overwritten by the second download's coordinates/info.</rant>

Try shortening by removing a character or two from the front and you won't have that issue (as in drop the GC).

The point is you shouldn't have to do this. This requires you send all caches through something like GSAK or post-process it in the GPS when using Send to GPS to edit the name after each cache is loaded.

To Garmin: when are you going to realize that you're on a Microsoft-like (ca. 1998-2005) path of complacency & ignoring the customer?

<rant>

By the way- for those that don't know, if you try to download two geocaches w/o shortening the name (ex: GC1234a and GC1234b) you'll get (1) copy of GC1234 which will then be overwritten by the second download's coordinates/info.</rant>

The point is you shouldn't have to do this. This requires you send all caches through something like GSAK or post-process it in the GPS when using Send to GPS to edit the name after each cache is loaded.

To Garmin: when are you going to realize that you're on a Microsoft-like (ca. 1998-2005) path of complacency & ignoring the customer?

I understood his point, and also understood Garmin's response an offered up an explanation for that user. But thanks for trying to clear things up. Edited by coggins

Why do Garmin remove lots of function every time they add a new Nüvi.

They have forgot that there are lots of people who would like a high end Nüvi with lots of function and can pay for it. Compare Street Pilot 2720 and Nüvi 1xxx

Why no hardware section in you own forum Garmin?

I do know we have Groundspeak, but in your own forum, you would see error faster and can do some with it, and we can get reply from third line and not first line that have no clue at all on what is going on. Call 10 times and you get 9 answer taken from a list, (have you reset your unit etc) and maybe one answer that may be some correct.

"Are you concerned that you might run out of non-negative, non-zero integers to use for model numbers for members of the Nuvi product line as quickly as you're cranking out such extremely minor variations of them?"

Robert,

It has been a few weeks since you posted, but I still find myself chuckling about your answer. Thanks for making me smile.

"Why don't you use decent glue for the rubber surround?"

Yes please I would LOVE to hear an answer to that one! :unsure:

The problem with the rubber trim falling off is STILL happening on new Etrex's, and it's been a problem for YEARS! Why can't Garmin fix this??!??! Yes I know there are some people whom have had no such problem with their Etrex's but I'm not one of those lucky ones :o

Well I bought my Vista HCx this Spring and it didn't even last 6 months before I had to send it back in to Garmin because the rubber banding around the outside was coming loose and I was getting a sticky adhesive on my hands and GPSr.

It was basically an ok little unit in most respects, but I have to tell you that kind of experience does leave a bad first impression. On the other hand I used my Magellan eXplorist for about the same length of time prior to "upgrading" to the Vista HCx and had no problems with that unit.

I'm not to worried anymore though since I've sold the refurbished Vista HCx that Garmin sent me and have upgraded to a Delorme PN-40. Who knows maybe I'll be on here complaining about this manufacturer too in 6 months, but I just really doubt it. If Garmin wants to stay the top dog for geocachers they might want to make sure that when they sell GPSr's for $200 that they don't fall apart within the first 6 months (and the time I used the GPSr was during a pretty slow caching phase for me so it didn't even get that much of a workout!). :blink:

For anybody who is seriously ticked off with Garmin I'd encourage you to check out the threads in this forum that discuss the Delorme PN series. I'm still way to new to say with authority that it's as fabulous as I feel it is, but there are lots of others with lots more experience than me that will put their good names behind the Delormes PN series units.

I guess to sum up my thoughts I'd say thank goodness that not only was there another viable option besides Garmin, but it seems to be a much better option and a lot more affordably priced series to boot. ;)

I probably have a few questions...however,

I would thank them for all the improvements and fixes they have made to the Colorado since it was released early in 2008. I was an early adopter and I hesitated a few weeks due of some of the early reports. Finally purchased the end of Feb 2008 and put mine into full-time service early in Mar 2008, an upgrade from my Nuvi 200W.

I'm glad I ignored all the naysayers...I absolutely love it...thanks!

Why can a device that networks with dozens of satellites to calculate my near exact location on the planet only display 30 character descriptions of caches?

Ha , yes, particularly annoying when only a handful of characters have been used in the name field, leaving half the screen blank anyway :D

<rant>

Ok here goes...

Ugh!

</rant>

They all start with GC...why not just drop that. :(:P

Why such poor owners manual for Vista HCx and How do I manually enter waypoint coordinates if I know them?

Press and hold the joy stick, or access the main menu and select Mark. Move the joystick down until the Location section is highlighted, press the joystick and you will get the edit option.

Garmin - why don't you extend the description length on the geocaches ?! (legend hcx).

Must be easy enough to do and would save a lot of faffing about with custom poi's to make cache hints usable !

YES YES YES.

cache size & hint would be amazing. i know you can fiddle with it to get this stuff and the logs thru other programs (using multiple waypoints etc), but there must be a way for garmin to do an update so we can add this to the unit without moding it. but it guess if they did that, then we wouldn't upgrade out Legend/Vista HCx's to higher end units.

it's such a simple thing, they must be able to do it, but choose not to.

Edited by brucered
Garmin - why don't you extend the description length on the geocaches?!
YES YES YES.

Agreed. A thousand times, this... Even Twitter allows 140 characters per post I hear.

Also, can you put some effort into producing some decent documentation/user manuals? The full size manual that came with my eTrex Legend is little more than a glorified Quick Start guide. That makes me a sad wabbit.

Garmin has decided that all Car Navigation system, should have no option at all.

Do not show POI in map view (You have to search for them)

Do not have off road navigation

Do not show any road while zooming out.

Why Garmin

Please add function, do not remove. Add the function that we ask for, not some you thing is nice.

Have two mode, Advance mode and Simple mode...