Copy Maps off GPS into Mapsource

pratzert

I have a nuvi 775t that comes with the CNNA maps as well as the European Maps.

Garmin does not send a MapSource DVD with the units.

So how in the world am I supposed to use the maps with Mapsource ?

When I used mapsource to try to "transfer" the maps to MapSource, it told me the unit had no maps.

Whats the secret ? I'm certainlyt not trying to do anything illegal.... I already have the maps.... I already have the latest MapSource and all I want to do is use them on MapSource.

Thanks for any help.

I have a nuvi 775t that comes with the CNNA maps as well as the European Maps.

Garmin does not send a MapSource DVD with the units.

So how in the world am I supposed to use the maps with Mapsource ?

When I used mapsource to try to "transfer" the maps to MapSource, it told me the unit had no maps.

Whats the secret ? I'm certainlyt not trying to do anything illegal.... I already have the maps.... I already have the latest MapSource and all I want to do is use them on MapSource.

Thanks for any help.

In order to use the maps in MapSource you have to purchase them. They cannot be transferred to MapSource from the unit. That's why most people buy the DVD's. That way you can use the maps on (1) device and MapSource. Preloaded maps cannot be transferred. Sorry, but it's true...

Actually there is a utility out there that will help you "uncompile" the mapset into something Mapsource can use.

It's not easy to do. It requires messing with the Registry. And the results are not especially satisfying.

The better approach is to phone Garmin and ask them to send you a DVD. Make sure your Nuvi is registered before you phone them so they can verify that you do have a legitimate Garmin device.

...ken...

I have a nuvi 765t and purchased the lifetime maps for it (nuMaps Lifetime). The first update I downloaded included MapSource and automatically loaded on my PC. You may have to buy 2 subscriptions (North America & Europe) if you want both maps.

You may also be entitled to a free update to the latest map version for 30 days. If there is a newer map version released than the one on your nuvi when you buy it, then a map update link will appear in your “myGarmin” account when you register your nuvi. This update will also contain MapSource.

Hi Everybody !

Thanks for all of the great responses and information.

It would be nice if Garmin gave us the ability to take the maps from the GPS.... they are locked to that specific device anyway and it would save everybody time and money... oh well.....

But when I registered my new GPS, I was given the opportunity to do a "Free" update/upgrade.

But I was disappointed because:

1.) I have a nuvi 775t with BOTH NA & Europe maps pre-loaded, but Garmin only allows you to update/upgrade one or the other.. not both maps. Why ? I don't know..... If the idea is to give you the latest maps for your device and I paid MORE money to get a GPS with both maps, I would think they would let you do a one time update of both.

2.) The update/upgrade order screen gave me the option to order a DVD of the updat eor a download.... I tried for days to order the DVD and Garmin's system kept crashing on me and I finally called Support who told me that they would send me a DVD (for $10).. BUT... the DVD you only have CNN2010.1 and NOT the latest 2010.2... so what good is that ? !

I think Garmin should have burned a DVD for me with the latest update. Their Cartography Dept has done this in the past. But I have always had a better, more satisfying, response with Cartography than their regular cust. svc.

So I think I will go ahead and buy the lifetime update for both NA and Eur and be done with it...... unfortunately it still does not solve the problem of the DVD for MapSource. I hold out hope that the DVD with 2010.2 will be available before my free update expires.

Edited by pratzert

Hi pratzert,

Why not just email cartography, explain the situation and ask them to send you an update?

Have you phoned customer service and explained that your Nuvi was purchased with both maps preinstalled? Their web site update system is pretty limited to the most common configurations and often quite frustrating touse. But customer service has the ability to handle exceptions and are usually quite good at doing so if you approach them reasonably.

...ken...

Hi pratzert,

Why not just email cartography, explain the situation and ask them to send you an update?

Have you phoned customer service and explained that your Nuvi was purchased with both maps preinstalled? Their web site update system is pretty limited to the most common configurations and often quite frustrating touse. But customer service has the ability to handle exceptions and are usually quite good at doing so if you approach them reasonably.

...ken...

I just popped the Cartography Dept an email with a request.

The cust. rep was nice enough, but I think it was beyond her comprehension that she could burn a DVD for me with the update and send it to me. After all... she DID offer to mail me a DVD with version 2010.10.

Maybe she just plain old didn't know that it'se to burn a single DVD and not have to wait for the factory pump them out.

Thanks

Typically, Garmin will send the DVD to users who own a unit that came with the preloaded maps (eg the nuvis) that didn't come with the DVD.

Typically, users have gotten the disk from Garmin for free or for a small shipping charge.

As stated above, you can't transfer the compiled maps from the unit to MapSource.

I own a Colorado 400t and inquired about getting the DVD from Garmin. I just got an e-mail response...they want to charge me $40 + tax + shipping for the Topo DVD!!! :D

Guess what my response was.

:P

Typically, Garmin will send the DVD to users who own a unit that came with the preloaded maps (eg the nuvis) that didn't come with the DVD.

Typically, users have gotten the disk from Garmin for free or for a small shipping charge.

As stated above, you can't transfer the compiled maps from the unit to MapSource.

I own a Colorado 400t and inquired about getting the DVD from Garmin. I just got an e-mail response...they want to charge me $40 + tax + shipping for the Topo DVD!!! :D

Guess what my response was.

:P

I have a pretty good guess......

But try calling back and see what the next rep has to say.... the response seems to change from one rep to another.