Copy and Pasted logs

chillin209

I like looking at the caches I have found or the ones I haven't found yet in my area and read what others have wrote. Lately I have noticed when people go out and get 20-50 caches a day they tend to copy and paste the same response to every cache they found.

Maybe I am weird but it irritates me. I suppose the fun is in the find and not the log? Well I like both personally. When I find a cache I try to write something good about the cache, unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab.

Does this bother anyone else?

Inspired hide? Inspired log. Uninspired hide? Uninspired log. It's that simple. If you find 20-50 caches in a day, I'm thinking they aren't really inspired hides.

I like looking at the caches I have found or the ones I haven't found yet in my area and read what others have wrote. Lately I have noticed when people go out and get 20-50 caches a day they tend to copy and paste the same response to every cache they found.

I make 40 to 60 cache runs on a regular basis. I also don't always log for a week or two, so the logging number is actually higher. I try to write something unless it was just a cache that others here are calling "uninspired". People cutting and pasting on any of our caches doesn't bother me. While I like to read some logs, caches are made to be found. We have many in the area that do not even log online.

Maybe I am weird but it irritates me. I suppose the fun is in the find and not the log? Well I like both personally. When I find a cache I try to write something good about the cache, unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab.

The weird part is it only bothers you if the arbitrary guideline you set for posting is not followed. i.e. "unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab." Some find most of the regular size caches along the trails equally as uninspired, sticks piled on top next to a tree or in an obvious hollowed out log.

I make 40 to 60 cache runs on a regular basis. I also don't always log for a week or two, so the logging number is actually higher. I try to write something unless it was just a cache that others here are calling "uninspired". People cutting and pasting on any of our caches doesn't bother me. While I like to read some logs, caches are made to be found. We have many in the area that do not even log online.

The weird part is it only bothers you if the arbitrary guideline you set for posting is not followed. i.e. "unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab." Some find most of the regular size caches along the trails equally as uninspired, sticks piled on top next to a tree or in an obvious hollowed out log. Which should allow an unispired log?

The weird part is it only bothers you if the arbitrary guideline you set for posting is not followed. i.e. "unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab." Some find most of the regular size caches along the trails equally as uninspired, sticks piled on top next to a tree or in an obvious hollowed out log.

Which one showed me something interesting? or showed some kind of history? or did something else to make the trip about more than a stupid smiley and +1 count? It could be either one, or both.

Where's Snoogans when you need him? I love his take on the sense of entitlement some of us tend to get in this game.

The only thing we are entitled to as a cache owner is, well, is there anything? If someone types TFTC on my clever hide, and repeats it 78 times in our valley for caches high, low, hard and easy, so be it.

I am not entitled to anything else.

Maybe the crappy logs make the good ones stand out more. Maybe not, but I'm not going to get myself bent out of joint if I think that way. I'm certainly not going to convert "disrespectful and lazy" loggers into journalists by peeing on their lack of creativity.

How do you get "sense of entitlement" out of people expressing their feelings about lame Copy and Pasted logs? This forum is a place to discuss such things, and simply talking about them in no way says that we feel "entitled" (a phrase, by the way, which I find to be sneakily devisive).

As well, asking for more than a Copy & Paste log is not inherently asking for a "creative" log. This isn't black and white. There are some shades of gray, you know.

(PS: Regarding my abruptly incompleted sentence several posts back, I failed to get the FTF ;) )

Here is how I get "sense of entitlement" out of people expressing thier feelings about lame Copy and Pasted logs:

1. cache owner reads a log that seems to be copy and pasted.

2. Cache owner feels that he is owed more than what he received.

3. sense of entitlement has now started to take root.

Can he or she come and here and complain about the log? Of course!

Did I say they could not? No.

Did I say they should not? No.

I made my observation, and left it out there for you and many others to enjoy.

I'm not sure how you get "sneakily devisive" out of the phrase.

I think you are being not so sneakliy devisive by saying that. Aren't you?

I think I'm entitled to an answer, in whatever shade of grey you choose.

On that point, we can agree! ;)

Seriously, regarding the word "entitlement", though... I really do feel that it has become a very devisive term that is used all too frequently to stir things up without, hopefully, attracting blame to the "stirrer". It is a politically correct way of assessing blame to the "other side" of whatever argument is ensuing. It is intended to inflame the other side while hiding the match that lites the flame. I don't like it, and I am entitled to not like it.

On that point, we can agree! :rolleyes:

Seriously, regarding the word "entitlement", though... I really do feel that it has become a very devisive term that is used all too frequently to stir things up without, hopefully, attracting blame to the "stirrer". It is a politically correct way of assessing blame to the "other side" of whatever argument is ensuing. It is intended to inflame the other side while hiding the match that lites the flame. I don't like it, and I am entitled to not like it.

Thank you for your prompt reply and informed opinion - it's more than I was entitled too ;)

I understand your view of the term, yet, as you've said previously, there are shades of gray, especially in the use of words. I did not intend any political correctness in it's use - in fact, I think it may be the opposite of PC to tell people to stop acting like you are owed more than you got!

On that point, we can agree! :D

Thank you for your prompt reply and informed opinion - it's more than I was entitled too :rolleyes:

I understand your view of the term, yet, as you've said previously, there are shades of gray, especially in the use of words. I did not intend any political correctness in it's use - in fact, I think it may be the opposite of PC to tell people to stop acting like you are owed more than you got!

May I please change my "inflame" to "enflame"? I'm so embarrassed!! ;)

Edited by knowschad

To get this back on track, the OP was not "whining" or acting "entitled" about receiving copy & paste logs on their own caches. Chillin209 was saying that he (she/they) were not getting enough information about other's caches by reading the logs because of all the c&p logs. I also sometimes enjoy reading the logs... sometimes, to learn if the cache is one that I want to go to, but sometimes just for the sheer fun of it. When all you have to read is logs that say nothing about the the finder's experience at the cache, it can get boring very quickly.

If those loggers chose not to log those caches, you would still not find the spoiler that you are looking for.

I like looking at the caches I have found or the ones I haven't found yet in my area and read what others have wrote

If those loggers chose not to log those caches, you would still not find the spoiler that you are looking for.

Spoilers? Is that what you read into the OP? That they were just looking for spoilers? Feeling a little cynical this morning? ;):rolleyes:

Edited by knowschad
Spoilers? Is that what you read into the OP? That they were just looking for spoilers? Feeling a little cynical this morning? :rolleyes::huh:
Actually, I found that in your post, not the OP's. I was working off of your assumption.
Chillin209 was saying that he (she/they) were not getting enough information about other's caches by reading the logs because of all the c&p logs.
Edited by sbell111

On that point, we can agree! :D

Thank you for your prompt reply and informed opinion - it's more than I was entitled too :huh:

May I please change my "inflame" to "enflame"? I'm so embarrassed!! :rolleyes:

Along those lines, may we both change "devisive" to "divisive"? Thanks for some enjoyable repartee.

Spoilers? Is that what you read into the OP? That they were just looking for spoilers? Feeling a little cynical this morning? :rolleyes::huh:
Actually, I found that in your post, not the OP's. I was working off of your assumption.

Chillin209 was saying that he (she/they) were not getting enough information about other's caches by reading the logs because of all the c&p logs.

I don't see anything about looking for spoilers in what I said, either. "enough information" does not necessarily imply spoilers, to my way of thinking.

I think that if you are getting irritated by the way that other people log caches that you don't even own, then you might be working too hard at being irritated.

wait, wait... i need to own the caches in question in order to prefer decent logs? most of the logs i read are on other people's caches. i don't care about my reward as a hider; i care about the overall quality of the sport and for me that involves decent logs.

sadly, i've pretty much given up on reading the logs on my own caches. most of the time i just delete them from my inbox without reading because most of them are cut-n-pastes or alphabet soup and they're not worth the time it takes to click the link.

when i'm logging other people's caches, though, i usually take the time to read other people's logs while i'm there. i really appreciate it when people take the time to write something that's not canned.

and to those who c-n-p most of a log and then write one good sentence unique to that log, i ask: why not just leave out the c-n-p portion? write that once for the day and then don't paste it into everything. i'd MUCH rather see ONE long log and a whole bunch of short ones than the same couple of paragraphs and a unique tagline over and over.

and yes, i do see a lot of this, because when i am logging all the caches i found in a day, i am typically visiting all the same caches you found the day you were there and by the second time i read the pasted portion, i already think your whole log is cheap.

I've done this. Usually if I am only doing 10 caches or so in a stretch, I will write something for each one. If I do something like, say, 200+, there is no way I'm ever going to even remember all of them, so copy/paste is really the best I can do. It has its place.

That said, a LOT of urban micros really don't warrant more than "found it, thanks" for a log. I try to put as much into my log as they did into the cache. Seems reasonable.

I think that if you are getting irritated by the way that other people log caches that you don't even own, then you might be working too hard at being irritated.
wait, wait... i need to own the caches in question in order to prefer decent logs? most of the logs i read are on other people's caches. i don't care about my reward as a hider; i care about the overall quality of the sport and for me that involves decent logs.

sadly, i've pretty much given up on reading the logs on my own caches. most of the time i just delete them from my inbox without reading because most of them are cut-n-pastes or alphabet soup and they're not worth the time it takes to click the link.

when i'm logging other people's caches, though, i usually take the time to read other people's logs while i'm there. i really appreciate it when people take the time to write something that's not canned.

and to those who c-n-p most of a log and then write one good sentence unique to that log, i ask: why not just leave out the c-n-p portion? write that once for the day and then don't paste it into everything. i'd MUCH rather see ONE long log and a whole bunch of short ones than the same couple of paragraphs and a unique tagline over and over.

and yes, i do see a lot of this, because when i am logging all the caches i found in a day, i am typically visiting all the same caches you found the day you were there and by the second time i read the pasted portion, i already think your whole log is cheap.

Well, I guess you have to ask yourself why your expectations as a third party should matter to someone logging a cache.
If I were to include the copy-pasted part only on the first log of the day, then that part of the story would be missing from all the other caches I found that day. If I'm copy-pasting it into multiple logs, then it's relevant to multiple logs. I'd rather each log stand alone, rather than making people find my first log of the day to get the rest of the story.

Well, I guess you have to ask yourself why your expectations as a third party should matter to someone logging a cache.

because caching (and logging) is not a two-party transaction. it is a multi-player interlocking web.

It doesn't bother me, especially if the finder is writing lots of logs at once. It's even more okay if the finder uses the cut and paste text as a starting point, and adds some extra details about the specific cache. But, if all I get in a log is cut and paste text, that's okay. I'm just glad someone found it.

Inspired hide? Inspired log. Uninspired hide? Uninspired log. It's that simple. If you find 20-50 caches in a day, I'm thinking they aren't really inspired hides.

No... nice theory, but I'm afraid it is not that simple. Even inspired hides get uninspired logs way too often.

Exactly! It could be a great location, a hard find, and still "Out cachin with so and so had a great time too many caches to remember!"

It doesn't bother me, especially if the finder is writing lots of logs at once. It's even more okay if the finder uses the cut and paste text as a starting point, and adds some extra details about the specific cache. But, if all I get in a log is cut and paste text, that's okay. I'm just glad someone found it.

The nice thing about this sport is we all get something different out of it :rolleyes:

If I understood your original post correctly, you were NOT complaining about lame posts to your own caches, and you were NOT complaining about the lack of spoiler information in the logs of other cachers. You were talking about the lack of information about the worthiness and interest and just general readability of the logs on caches. You like to look at caches that maybe you want to go to, or maybe will never get to go to, but want to experience vicariously, but are finding it increasingly hard to do so because the logs contain less and less specific information about their experience at the cache.

I think that we have seen so many "you didn't post a nice log for my cache" threads (and I agree with those, also!) that I think you post may have been misconstrued by many.

because caching (and logging) is not a two-party transaction. it is a multi-player interlocking web.

At the end of the day, this is an easter egg hunt with an on-line log. The only thing that the online log really is is a place to document whether a person found a cache and whether there are any problems with the cache.

Anyone who is insisting on more is making the game something that it's not. It's great if you can get this extra benefit from the game, but it isn't required, nor should it be.

If I understood your original post correctly, you were NOT complaining about lame posts to your own caches, and you were NOT complaining about the lack of spoiler information in the logs of other cachers. You were talking about the lack of information about the worthiness and interest and just general readability of the logs on caches. You like to look at caches that maybe you want to go to, or maybe will never get to go to, but want to experience vicariously, but are finding it increasingly hard to do so because the logs contain less and less specific information about their experience at the cache.

I think that we have seen so many "you didn't post a nice log for my cache" threads (and I agree with those, also!) that I think you post may have been misconstrued by many.

It's actually funny that this thread has gotten as big as it has. When I am looking for caches in my area that I haven't done yet or sometimes I read ones that I have done just to read them. I see a pattern of people writing the same thing over and over on all the ones in the area. It just bugged me, thats all! ;)

Its fun to see what other people thought about it as well, thanks for the find!

At the end of the day, this is an easter egg hunt with an on-line log. The only thing that the online log really is is a place to document whether a person found a cache and whether there are any problems with the cache.

Anyone who is insisting on more is making the game something that it's not. It's great if you can get this extra benefit from the game, but it isn't required, nor should it be.

did i say i insisted on it or required it?

i was going to explain it, but then i saw to whom i was replying and then decided it wasn't worth the effort.

did i say i insisted on it or required it?

i was going to explain it, but then i saw to whom i was replying and then decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Wow, you're at your trolly best this morning, aren't you?

Either way, the effort that each person puts into his/her logs is completely up to that person. I refuse to wring my hands over something so unbelievably trivial as caring how someone logs a cache that isn't even owned by me.

Also, the fact that you want to nitpick my post doesn't change it's premise. I hope this change makes you happy, or at least makes you troll less:

It's great if people can get extra enjoyment out of reading random online logs, but since that's not what the game is about, complaining that you don't get this extra benefit from every cache log seems kind of silly, to me.

It's great if people can get extra enjoyment out of reading random online logs, but since that's not what the game is about, complaining that you don't get this extra benefit from every cache log seems kind of silly, to me.

This may come as a surprise to you, but you don't get to decide what this "game is all about"... the collective geocaching community does. And if you haven't noticed, it has been changing since you started in 2001.

If "complaining" about lack of entertaining logs seems to silly to you, then why do you insist on complaining about the complaining? Just ignore it.

This may come as a surprise to you, but you don't get to decide what this "game is all about"... the collective geocaching community does. And if you haven't noticed, it has been changing since you started in 2001.

If "complaining" about lack of entertaining logs seems to silly to you, then why do you insist on complaining about the complaining? Just ignore it.

I like the complaining feedback from the forums. It lets me know that people notice what I write in logs. That encourages me to put a little more effort into them.

IF the game had changed the way you are stating, there would not be so many threads whining for 'better' logs.

Just because some people rant about their desire for some aspect of their life to be different, doesn't mean that the world should change for them.

Edited by sbell111

But then the question begs, why are you complaining about him complaining that people are complaining?

TFTP