Copy and Pasted logs

chillin209

Telling someone how they have to log is an ALR and not allowed.

Actually reading and comprehending my post is required for your comment to apply...which it doesn't. Go back and re-read this part of my post:

I was specifically referring to this

Now I specifically need to tell people NOT to copy/paste logs?

You can't tell someone how to log. As long as they sign the log in the cache, it is an official find. When they log online, technically, it's a courtesy to write anything at all.

People get worked up over how other people write their online logs? I can't think many things that are more petty than that.

Eh we all have our own peeve's about caching. I personally like to read others logs. And after reading this thread I just may do nothing but CnP! :rolleyes:

My goal when hiding has evolved to the following:

Give somebody a cache to find.

Hide the cache in a place that I would want to look for a cache.

What you put in your online log is up to you. I will say that the response I've received in the logs has influenced subsequent hides. A c/p log doesn't really get me lathered up, but it does contain its own kind of information about the finder and their motivations.

I like looking at the caches I have found or the ones I haven't found yet in my area and read what others have wrote. Lately I have noticed when people go out and get 20-50 caches a day they tend to copy and paste the same response to every cache they found.

Maybe I am weird but it irritates me. I suppose the fun is in the find and not the log? Well I like both personally. When I find a cache I try to write something good about the cache, unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab.

Does this bother anyone else?

I think that if you are getting irritated by the way that other people log caches that you don't even own, then you might be working too hard at being irritated.
I started a series of caches with about 30 hides total. They are near another series of caches with about 50 hides. So those that find mine, usually find about 80-100 caches in a day.

Over 80% of the of the 90 people that found my caches posted a copy/paste log.

You know, if that many people are posting copy and paste logs, it's possible that it should be telling you something about the quality of your cache. Perhaps it isn't a 'show stopper'.
The common excuse:

Sorry for the cut and paste logs but there are just so many!!

This one was especially annoying:

I'm sorry for the cut and paste unless the cache page says I have to log separately.

Now I specifically need to tell people NOT to copy/paste logs? :rolleyes:

You cannot tell people that they could not log your caches with copy and paste logs, as that would be an ALR, which is not allowed. You can't tell them to write their logs in haiku, either.
I've found over 100 caches in a day multiple times. I have over 11,000 finds. I have NEVER copy/pasted a log. I remembered most every find I had in a single day and wrote a unique log. The series of caches I placed are all unique hides with different style containers, unique cache names and unique cache pages. It took me a good amount of time to hide and create every cache. Not to mention the cost of the cache containers and swag (yes, each cache of reasonable size had decent swag in it). I get offended when somebody disrespects the effort I put into my caches.

The big problem is that laziness breeds laziness. If other geocachers see copy/paste logs, then they assume its OK for them to do the same. I will often thank people for writing unique logs on my caches and even scorn those that post annoying copy/paste logs. If somebody doesn't tell them what they are doing is disrespectful and lazy, they might never get a clue.

So basically, you are willing to be quite rude to combat a bit of perceived rudeness? Interesting. Edited by sbell111

I think that only applies to Traditional Caches. But I may be wrong

You are wrong

You can tell someone how they have to log all day long. What you can't do is to delete their log because you don't like the way they logged it. That would be an ALR.

You are wrong

You can tell someone how they have to log all day long. What you can't do is to delete their log because you don't like the way they logged it. That would be an ALR.

Thank you for explaining it, I really didn't know.

SS

You are wrong

SS

Actually, you can delete someone's log because you didn't like how they logged it. Feel free to delete logs that use profanity or are bogus (someone who didn't really find the cache). The ALR guideline means that if you have asked someone to complete an additional task (e.g. take a picture of yourself in the funny hat) you can't delete their log because they didn't do it.

I like looking at the caches I have found or the ones I haven't found yet in my area and read what others have wrote. Lately I have noticed when people go out and get 20-50 caches a day they tend to copy and paste the same response to every cache they found.

Maybe I am weird but it irritates me. I suppose the fun is in the find and not the log? Well I like both personally. When I find a cache I try to write something good about the cache, unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab.

Well, I must say, [OP NAME HERE] I agree with whatever you've said totally! The opinions you've just expressed are well received by me and impress me with their original philosophical take on whatever area of geocaching they happen to address or not address!

I will make sure and watch out for more of your posts in the future, [OP NAME HERE], because what you've said here is just absolutely fantastic!

:-D

You are wrong

SS

Actually, you can delete someone's log because you didn't like how they logged it. Feel free to delete logs that use profanity or are bogus (someone who didn't really find the cache). The ALR guideline means that if you have asked someone to complete an additional task (e.g. take a picture of yourself in the funny hat) you can't delete their log because they didn't do it.
Requiring someone to write an original bit of verbiage that amuses that cache hider is no different than requiring him to write his log in the form of a limerick. It's an ALR.

Further, adding a demand to the cache page that someone must do some additional task mekes the cache and ALR regardless of whether the cache owner actually chooses to delete a log to show his/her dissatisfaction.

(Also, since the OP doesn't actually own the caches whos logs are irritating him, he has no standing to demand that the loggers do anything.)

Edited by sbell111
You are wrong

SS

Requiring someone to write an original bit of verbiage that amuses that cache hider is no different than requiring him to write his log in the form of a limerick. It's an ALR.

Further, adding a demand to the cache page that someone must do some additional task mekes the cache and ALR regardless of whether the cache owner actually chooses to delete a log to show his/her dissatisfaction.

(Also, since the OP doesn't actually own the caches whos logs are irritating him, he has no standing to demand that the loggers do anything.)

I think that the examples listed were the listed as the only examples of when it's okay to delete a log when you don't like how they logged it. That's how I read the post anyway.

Edited by mrbort
You are wrong

SS

I think that the examples listed were the listed as the only examples of when it's okay to delete a log when you don't like how they logged it. That's how I read the post anyway.

I was on the fence about that. In fact, I almost deleted the previous posts from mime so the point would be made without accidently accusing the blue one of anything.
You are wrong

SS

I think you were the first one here to use the word, "Require". I was responding to "Telling someone how they have to log is an ALR and not allowed.", as, I believe, were the posts that followed mine. You

<Snip all the quotes>

I think you were the first one here to use the word, "Require". I was responding to "Telling someone how they have to log is an ALR and not allowed.", as, I believe, were the posts that followed mine. You

And that was the last we ever heard of Chad's pal.

icon_smile.gifNovember 27, 2009 by Geocacher

Wow! What a great cache! We had a blast and hope to find many more of yours in the future! Thanks for the cache!!!!!

After reading that, I looked into my email some more.

Wow! What a great cache! We had a blast and hope to find many more of yours in the future! Thanks for the cache!!!!!

Sheesh.

Edited by GeoBigDawg

I confess to cut and pasting logs, for the bigger count days. We're not journalists, after all, we're cachers, but we do try and remember something about each cache.

I completely agree with the sentiment that the more inspired caches, that can't really be done as part of a large cache run, do get the more inspired logs.

What I think about this topic may be skewed . . . as I am a journalist ;)

<CLIP>

The big problem is that laziness breeds laziness. If other geocachers see copy/paste logs, then they assume its OK for them to do the same. I will often thank people for writing unique logs on my caches and even scorn those that post annoying copy/paste logs. If somebody doesn't tell them what they are doing is disrespectful and lazy, they might never get a clue.

So I try to go individual on all logs unless that are CnP placements such as Team GPSaxophone brought up. BTW, if you're ever in or near the Springs, look up Sax's hides!!!!

I actually do put some major effort into loggin a cache if I loved it or even liked it and did few that day/weekend. It's nice to hear back from CO's that appreciate the effort too. Or maybe they all hate what I write and just wanted their dang CnP?! :anicute::laughing::P

Hey tell me if I am redundant to someone else's post or a feature that already exists . . . :laughing:

I think it would be great to have a "featured logs" option for cache pages. Something that allows the CO to pick their favorite logs to top the charts or to have other cachers vote on (+ or -)? There could be the option to view them chronologically (traditionally) or by rating!

That way, IMO, COs could 'reward' cachers for good logs without making what some may feel is akward contact. Also, it can stop all those uninspired logs from bumping the greats!!

EDIT: spelling

Edited by scorpio_dark

Hey tell me if I am redundant to someone else's post or a feature that already exists . . . :laughing:

I think it would be great to have a "featured logs" option for cache pages. Something that allows the CO to pick their favorite logs to top the charts or to have other cachers vote on (+ or -)? There could be the option to view them chronologically (traditionally) or by rating!

That way, IMO, COs could 'reward' cachers for good logs without making what some may feel is akward contact. Also, it can stop all those uninspired logs from bumping the greats!!

EDIT: spelling

Now that is a great idea... and one that shouldn't necessarily require a lot of technical work to do.

I imagine that TPTB would shy away from a "rate this log" system (much like they've shied away from a "rate this hide" system).

But allowing the owner to choose one log to feature at the top of the page would be cool...

(OTOH, could cache owners do this on their own, simply by adding the featured log to the cache description page?)

I think it would be great to have a "featured logs" option for cache pages. Something that allows the CO to pick their favorite logs to top the charts <CLIP>

Now that is a great idea... and one that shouldn't necessarily require a lot of technical work to do.

I imagine that TPTB would shy away from a "rate this log" system (much like they've shied away from a "rate this hide" system).

But allowing the owner to choose one log to feature at the top of the page would be cool...

(OTOH, could cache owners do this on their own, simply by adding the featured log to the cache description page?)

Good call! :anicute: and/or the CO could make a favorites blog and link the appropriate one's to the appropriate pages?

Bottom line is that if you don't like cut and paste logs, don't place cut and paste caches.

Make your caches unique, interesting, or a bit of an adventure and you'll start seeing better logs.

What he said.

I do that, but still get CnP logs.

You will never get rid off all of them. But if you hide the top shelf caches then others will, for the most part, reward you with better logs. If you are getting a lot of CnP logs you may wish to take another look at your hides with a more critical eye.

I HATE cut and paste logs. I go to a lot of work to make my caches interesting and fun, and most of them have a lot of historical research behind them.

So I appreciate it when people get the play on words or small bit of humor I put in the cache title sometimes, or when they voice appreciation for learning about the area.

There were two particular teams, though, that made a caching blitz through the area, and every log was the same. "Went ...with...for a weekend of caching, what a time we had. I personally logged 97 finds for the two days. This one was somewhere in the middle, we didn't number them as we went. Nice hide. TFTC" A nice enough log for one find, but it was simply cut and pasted for all of them. How boring and lazy.

By the same token, I always try to make my logs interesting or funny or a least a reflection of the fun we had with the cache. If I'm very disappointed in a cache, for instance when a cache owner uses a lovely historical cemetery with lots of good hiding spots for a lazy little micro in a silly film can that doesn't keep the water out, I will respond with a terse "found it" log. That cemetery could have been used for a much better cache. But good caches are worth a lot more.

And while my best day caching was 14 finds or so, even if I had more than that I would take whatever time needed to post nice logs for those caches, rather than cutting and pasting a lame log.

As a general rule, my logs include something about why I was in the particular area. For example, I might say "I was in the area on business and since I arrived early, I decided to grab a few caches." If I am with someone, I might include a sentence about that. I think giving some background makes for a more interesting reading experience.

I then try to say something about the particular search or cache.

If I find more than 2 or 3, I will cut and paste the introduction and background. After all, I'm in the area for the same reason or am caching with the same partner.

To someone who just glances at my logs many will look like they are just cut and pasted. However, for anyone who reads the whole log, each is generally unique, even if I have to say something like "I'm getting tired of all of the guard rail hides I'm finding." I also like to be able to say something like: "I like the hides around here ... of x finds, not a single one was under a lamp post skirt."

Well. I'm done with writing nice logs! I will now be using the cut and paste "Found cache. Thanks."

I was working on my second longest log ever. It took some time. Finished and submitted it, and was told that I had timed out. I lost everything that I had written. It's no wonder that people do not leave nice logs. Geocaching does not encourage it. In fact, Geocaching actively discourages it!! That's it. I'm done trying to leave nice logs.

Well. I'm done with writing nice logs! I will now be using the cut and paste "Found cache. Thanks."

I was working on my second longest log ever. It took some time. Finished and submitted it, and was told that I had timed out. I lost everything that I had written. It's no wonder that people do not leave nice logs. Geocaching does not encourage it. In fact, Geocaching actively discourages it!! That's it. I'm done trying to leave nice logs.

When I have to type something long (like a character story for an online game I play), typing it into a word processing program first, like Word or Works, is much easier. Then, I can...wait for it....cut and paste!

:P

Ah, but you see... I've never had this problem before in five years of geocaching. And I'll certainly never have it again. Since Geocaching is actively discouraging log logs, I shall never be tempted to write one again. Use other computer programs when this one should work? Why bother? Sorry. Not wasting my time again. Geocaching doesn't want long logs, I'm not logging them.

Ah, but you see... I've never had this problem before in five years of geocaching. And I'll certainly never have it again. Since Geocaching is actively discouraging log logs, I shall never be tempted to write one again. Use other computer programs when this one should work? Why bother? Sorry. Not wasting my time again. Geocaching doesn't want long logs, I'm not logging them.

That's a valid choice.

Thats understandable, I'm sure that was quite frustrating!

When I have to type something long (like a character story for an online game I play), typing it into a word processing program first, like Word or Works, is much easier. Then, I can...wait for it....cut and paste!

:(

Let me get this straight: you are blaming HD for not knowing ahead of time that the Groundspeak site is broken? And laughing at him, to boot?

Geez.

Where's Snoogans when you need him? I love his take on the sense of entitlement some of us tend to get in this game.

The only thing we are entitled to as a cache owner is, well, is there anything? If someone types TFTC on my clever hide, and repeats it 78 times in our valley for caches high, low, hard and easy, so be it.

I am not entitled to anything else.

Maybe the crappy logs make the good ones stand out more. Maybe not, but I'm not going to get myself bent out of joint if I think that way. I'm certainly not going to convert "disrespectful and lazy" loggers into journalists by peeing on their lack of creativity.

Edited by doingitoldschool

Where's Snoogans when you need him? I love his take on the sense of entitlement some of us tend to get in this game.

The only thing we are entitled to as a cache owner is, well, is there anything? If someone types TFTC on my clever hide, and repeats it 78 times in our valley for caches high, low, hard and easy, so be it.

I am not entitled to anything else.

Maybe the crappy logs make the good ones stand out more. Maybe not, but I'm not going to get myself bent out of joint if I think that way. I'm certainly not going to convert "disrespectful and lazy" loggers into journalists by peeing on their lack of creativity.

How do you get "sense of entitlement" out of people expressing their feelings about lame Copy and Pasted logs? This forum is a place to discuss such things, and simply talking about them in no way says that we feel "entitled" (a phrase, by the way, which I find to be sneakily devisive).

As well, asking for more than a Copy & Paste log is not inherently asking for a "creative" log. This isn't black and white. There are some shades of gray, you know.

(PS: Regarding my abruptly incompleted sentence several posts back, I failed to get the FTF :( )

Let me get this straight: you are blaming HD for not knowing ahead of time that the Groundspeak site is broken? And laughing at him, to boot?

Geez.

No, I was suggesting something that has worked for me in the past when writing something long and important to me and posting it on a sometimes unreliable internet connection. I placed no blame. I offered a suggestion for the future if he was so inclined.

And the laugh was for the cut-and-paste joke. I was far from laughing at him.

My brain just turned on this morning and here is the thought that automatically spit out.

Geocaching has ONE requirement for a true "find" and that is signing the physical log.

At that point the cacher has the option of logging it online.

At that point the cacher has an option to write something in a box with a one (or a couple) character requirement.

At that point the cacher has the option of just placing a couple random characters in the box or a complete novel (with a word limit, I'm sure).

At that point the cache owner will get an email stating the cache was found

And at that point the cache owner has the option to smile that someone found their cache.

Everything after that is on the cache owner. The cacher did their "job" and the cache was found, if they signed the log.

Whine about short logs, whine about copy and paste logs, whine about whatever you want but if you get anything more than an Email from GS telling you the cache was found, be happy. Once you expect more than the simple Email telling you that the cache was found you have lost the fun.

My brain just turned on this morning and here is the thought that automatically spit out.

Geocaching has ONE requirement for a true "find" and that is signing the physical log.

At that point the cacher has an option to write something in a box with a one (or a couple) character requirement.

At that point the cacher has the option of just placing a couple random characters in the box or a complete novel (with a word limit, I'm sure).

And at that point the cache owner has the option to smile that someone found their cache.

Everything after that is on the cache owner. The cacher did their "job" and the cache was found, if they signed the log.

Whine about short logs, whine about copy and paste logs, whine about whatever you want but if you get anything more than an Email from GS telling you the cache was found, be happy. Once you expect more than the simple Email telling you that the cache was found you have lost the fun.

TFTC!

I actually preferred you before your brain "turned on" and you started whining about whining :( . Speaking an opinion is not "whining" and it is not very condusive to this discussion to label it that.

This is not about a "job", either. This is entertainment. True, there is no need to applaud after a play ends (assuming the play was a good one) but most would consider it rude to not do so.

Edited by knowschad

I actually preferred you before your brain "turned on" and you started whining about whining :( . Speaking an opinion is not "whining" and it is not very condusive to this discussion to label it that.

This is not about a "job", either. This is entertainment. True, there is no need to applaud after a play ends (assuming the play was a good one) but most would consider it rude to not do so.

That was soooooo not whining. Want to hear whining, record yourself.

When the "game" concludes, we will take scores and applaud the winner. Till then, the courtesy golf claps are optional, and yes needed, by those with egos that need satisfying. When their ego isn't satisfied, they will whine.

Bring on the Whaaaaaaambulance. Chads buddy is feeling a bit lightheaded.

I actually preferred you before your brain "turned on" and you started whining about whining :) . Speaking an opinion is not "whining" and it is not very condusive to this discussion to label it that.

When the "game" concludes, we will take scores and applaud the winner. Till then, the courtesy golf claps are optional, and yes needed, by those with egos that need satisfying. When their ego isn't satisfied, they will whine.

:( I love your sense of humor, Bittsen! Thanks for the chuckle.

Edited by knowschad

Lack of civility in logs, whether or not such civility and kindness is "required," is more condusive to the "game" being a pleasant activity for all involved.

Ego aside, a "TFTC" online log tells little to the the CO or to other "players." Is it required? Certainly not, yet from my experience, which some such as you tend to discount since folks know everything there is to know with 100 or so finds, is that a well-written log increases comraderie, esprit, and a fun spirit in the community. My perception of a "TFTC" or an acronym-laden log is that it tends to be rude, since someone took the effort of placing a cache, I take the effort of documenting my journey to finding it. I don't loose sleep over a TFTC, I just shrug, think "well, that's nice," and move on.

Lack of civility and personal attacks in the forum is also hardly condusive to pleasantry in the "game."

Lack of civility in logs, whether or not such civility and kindness is "required," is more condusive to the "game" being a pleasant activity for all involved.

Ego aside, a "TFTC" online log tells little to the the CO or to other "players." Is it required? Certainly not, yet from my experience, which some such as you tend to discount since folks know everything there is to know with 100 or so finds, is that a well-written log increases comraderie, esprit, and a fun spirit in the community. My perception of a "TFTC" or an acronym-laden log is that it tends to be rude, since someone took the effort of placing a cache, I take the effort of documenting my journey to finding it. I don't loose sleep over a TFTC, I just shrug, think "well, that's nice," and move on.

Lack of civility and personal attacks in the forum is also hardly condusive to pleasantry in the "game."

I agree that adding "good" logs adds to the game but, playing devils advocate, since cache owners enjoy and encourage good logs for (what they humbly perceive as) good caches, should cachers also post long logs about how crappy a cache is, if the cache finder deems it to be? Of course not. People only want praise for their caches.

For someone to post "cut and paste" logs, to me, simply means the finder was unimpressed either way. When the finder finds a great cache, maybe they will interrupt the C&P session and write something unique.

So, if your knickers are in a bunch for a C&P log, step it up and do something that will impress that particular cacher.

MHO

:) I love your sense of humor, Bittsen! Thanks for the chuckle.

Funny how this looks like it was edited. When I read it it said something entirely different.

Very funny indeed.

Yes, indeed it did. Previously it contained forum posting guideline #1.

"Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect."

I thought about it, and decided to edit that to something a bit more light-hearted.

:) I love your sense of humor, Bittsen! Thanks for the chuckle.

Funny how this looks like it was edited. When I read it it said something entirely different.

Very funny indeed.

Yes, indeed it did. Previously it contained forum posting guideline #1.

"Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect."

I thought about it, and decided to edit that to something a bit more light-hearted.

Yes, I saw that and chuckled at the hypocricy.

As I said before. If you can find humor in something I say, thats what I meant with the post.

But my opinion on those who complain about C&P logs remains the same.

To get this back on track, the OP was not "whining" or acting "entitled" about receiving copy & paste logs on their own caches. Chillin209 was saying that he (she/they) were not getting enough information about other's caches by reading the logs because of all the c&p logs. I also sometimes enjoy reading the logs... sometimes, to learn if the cache is one that I want to go to, but sometimes just for the sheer fun of it. When all you have to read is logs that say nothing about the the finder's experience at the cache, it can get boring very quickly.