Copy and Pasted logs

chillin209

I like looking at the caches I have found or the ones I haven't found yet in my area and read what others have wrote. Lately I have noticed when people go out and get 20-50 caches a day they tend to copy and paste the same response to every cache they found.

Maybe I am weird but it irritates me. I suppose the fun is in the find and not the log? Well I like both personally. When I find a cache I try to write something good about the cache, unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab.

Does this bother anyone else?

I like looking at the caches I have found or the ones I haven't found yet in my area and read what others have wrote. Lately I have noticed when people go out and get 20-50 caches a day they tend to copy and paste the same response to every cache they found.

Maybe I am weird but it irritates me. I suppose the fun is in the find and not the log? Well I like both personally. When I find a cache I try to write something good about the cache, unless it was really easy like a lamp post grab.

I sure hope you arent saying all who log 30 in a day do that because I wouldn't (though I have thought about doing it).

I even change up my DNF logs as well.

BUT, having said that... Why get worked up over little things that other people do. Don't sweat the petty things, but DO pet the sweaty things.

Opinions are like.................. well, you know.

You are right! I like to think that the CO likes to read what I log (I do, when others relay having a good time, or even a frustrating DNF -- it tells me that I did a good job).

I blasted into a series of 7 new placements (all posted at the same time) last week, and had an absolute ball.

Met other geocachers and made new friends (I have enough enemies). From diving into a lake to help get rid of ants that invaded my pants, to almost crashing through a hornet nest, wrongly entered coords (I am low tech -- or too cheap to get a newer GPSr), and battle scars on both arms. 'Twas fun and I want the CO to know that, as well as other cachers looking to hit those sites. :D:mad::drama:

Too, I often wonder if those that cannot say anything about the location/hide/hunt, actually did go to or find the cache.

That is a bit of a stretch - do 30 (or 84, our highest) caches in a day, and try to come up with a completely original log for each. I know that some people, for reasons completely devoid of sense, rack up logs without finding the caches, but I don't think that's as common as CnP's (thank you someone for the abbreviation)

Too, I often wonder if those that cannot say anything about the location/hide/hunt, actually did go to or find the cache.

That is a bit of a stretch - do 30 (or 84, our highest) caches in a day, and try to come up with a completely original log for each. I know that some people, for reasons completely devoid of sense, rack up logs without finding the caches, but I don't think that's as common as CnP's (thank you someone for the abbreviation)

No........ not saying I think all or most, just some logs. I agree, too many to log easily is too many to log easily.

EX: "mosquitos almost chased me away", for 10 - 15 logs. All the same posting, whether city, suburbs, swamp, forest or lakeshore.

We don't like the CnP logs either.

That being said, one cacher that has found a number of ours writes way too much! It wouldn't be bad if the write up didn't have a condescending tone or the "helpful hints" on what the cacher feels are negative issues (tall grass, barking dogs, etc)

We'll take a CnP over that anyday!

I try to change up my logs, but they all sound the same. When it is a memorable cache i will describe it though. As long as you try to change it up it isn't that bad.

Sometimes, but I've got bigger things to worry about.

When I cache with friends I use a template for my logs, but I always put at least one line unique to every log. If it was a memorable cache, I write a few lines (or even a few paragraphs) to tell the story.

I tend to write short logs for quick Park & Grab caches...unless they were an FTF. :D

I am a cacher, and I have posted cut-and-paste logs. :D

As a cache owner, I completely understand the need to thank the owner with a well-written log.

Sometimes, on a big run in an area dominated by one hider, all the caches are so similar (even the write-up has the same text...gimme a break!) that it is really hard to distinguish between them as you post your logs. In that case a cut-and-paste cache gets a cut-and-paste log.

In general, though...GOOD ON YA for realizing that well-written logs are the owner's reward.

BUT, having said that... Why get worked up over little things that other people do. Don't sweat the petty things, but DO pet the sweaty things.

Good advice on the first part. For the second part, I think a huge "it depends" applies :D

My personal pet peeve is an "easy find" log on a cache I'm visiting for the 3rd time.

Edited by Chrysalides

Thank you 9Key. I had no idea geocache planters were interested in that kind of stuff. I'm used to it in letterboxing when I write in the log in the box, but the geocache logs are tiny and I got the impression the whole hobby was "just the facts, Ma'am."

Since I'm still new and reading the logs for hints, I also wonder if experienced cachers will look at my writing and think "yadda, yadda, yadda, just get to the point." I'm going to let go of that now and think of the planter and gratitude.

I too detest copy and paste logs. As the owner of over 110 active caches - I hate getting: "found with x, y and z as part of the 60 we did over the weekend". Multiple that log times the 3 cachers and then times the 20 caches of mine they hit and I get sick real quick.

Tell me where you are from, how you got there, what the weather was like, tell me about that nearby tree or the cop that spoke with you a block over. Tell me about the crying kids in the back seat or the songs you hummed on the way to the cache. Tell me about the state of the cache and the area around it. Tell me about the redheaded kid with the big ears that walked by as you got out of the car. Tell me thank you. Tell me it was terrible.

Tell me something!!!!

No its not. I've done 64 and come up with something unique for each one. My friend Bobcam averages something like 60 caches a day, and he comes up with something unique for each one. If you want to, you can find a way.

This is a bit of a sore spot with me right now, because I just had 14 finders logs come in for 7 of my caches. These are caches in a gorgeous park on bluffs that overlook the Mississippi, with beautiful wooded trails. The logs were by two cachers caching together... "Found with xyz and abc". Quite a letdown when you see those logs come in, think 'Hey, cool... look at all those logs!" and find out that not one in the bunch is worth reading.

I started a series of caches with about 30 hides total. They are near another series of caches with about 50 hides. So those that find mine, usually find about 80-100 caches in a day.

Over 80% of the of the 90 people that found my caches posted a copy/paste log. The common excuse:

Sorry for the cut and paste logs but there are just so many!!

This one was especially annoying:

I'm sorry for the cut and paste unless the cache page says I have to log separately.

Now I specifically need to tell people NOT to copy/paste logs? :D

I've found over 100 caches in a day multiple times. I have over 11,000 finds. I have NEVER copy/pasted a log. I remembered most every find I had in a single day and wrote a unique log. The series of caches I placed are all unique hides with different style containers, unique cache names and unique cache pages. It took me a good amount of time to hide and create every cache. Not to mention the cost of the cache containers and swag (yes, each cache of reasonable size had decent swag in it). I get offended when somebody disrespects the effort I put into my caches.

The big problem is that laziness breeds laziness. If other geocachers see copy/paste logs, then they assume its OK for them to do the same. I will often thank people for writing unique logs on my caches and even scorn those that post annoying copy/paste logs. If somebody doesn't tell them what they are doing is disrespectful and lazy, they might never get a clue.

I started a series of caches with about 30 hides total. They are near another series of caches with about 50 hides. So those that find mine, usually find about 80-100 caches in a day.

Over 80% of the of the 90 people that found my caches posted a copy/paste log. The common excuse:

I'm sorry for the cut and paste unless the cache page says I have to log separately.

I've found over 100 caches in a day multiple times. I have over 11,000 finds. I have NEVER copy/pasted a log. I remembered most every find I had in a single day and wrote a unique log. The series of caches I placed are all unique hides with different style containers, unique cache names and unique cache pages. It took me a good amount of time to hide and create every cache. Not to mention the cost of the cache containers and swag (yes, each cache of reasonable size had decent swag in it). I get offended when somebody disrespects the effort I put into my caches.

The big problem is that laziness breeds laziness. If other geocachers see copy/paste logs, then they assume its OK for them to do the same. I will often thank people for writing unique logs on my caches and even scorn those that post annoying copy/paste logs. If somebody doesn't tell them what they are doing is disrespectful and lazy, they might never get a clue.

Telling someone how they have to log is an ALR and not allowed.

Actually reading and comprehending my post is required for your comment to apply...which it doesn't. Go back and re-read this part of my post:

I will often thank people for writing unique logs on my caches and even scorn those that post annoying copy/paste logs.

I didn't tell them how they have to log my cache nor would my actions be considered an ALR. I also never said I would delete any log regardless of how much creativity it may lack. I'm just trying to strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger educate those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers caches.

Actually reading and comprehending my post is required for your comment to apply...which it doesn't. Go back and re-read this part of my post:

I was specifically referring to this

Now I specifically need to tell people NOT to copy/paste logs?

You can't tell someone how to log. As long as they sign the log in the cache, it is an official find. When they log online, technically, it's a courtesy to write anything at all.

People get worked up over how other people write their online logs? I can't think many things that are more petty than that.

Why does everything have to be about being "worked up"? We can't have a conversation about what we would rather see for online logs without being "worked up over" it? I'd like to see an improvement in online logs. That doesn't mean I'll loose sleep over it.

I see nothing wrong with cut-n-paste logs. I put caches out there for the enjoyment of others, not for my reading of the logs. We are all in this sport for different reasons and getting upset about how pther people log is silly. If you care that much about how someone logs, maybe you should not hide caches.

I was specifically referring to this

Now I specifically need to tell people NOT to copy/paste logs?

You can't tell someone how to log. As long as they sign the log in the cache, it is an official find. When they log online, technically, it's a courtesy to write anything at all.

Now that you specify which part of my post you were referring to, then the comment makes sense. I am well aware of GC.com doing away with ALRs. What I was try to imply with my comment is that why should I have to stoop to the level of adding a comment like the person said just so I don't get a copy/paste log. Their logic is flawed in my opinion.

People get worked up over how other people write their online logs? I can't think many things that are more petty than that.

If I spent $20 and a couple hours of my time placing and listing a cache, is it too much to ask for something more then "TFTC" or in the case of a c/p log, the same meaningless drivel for every log?

I guess this whole thread is essentially a re-hash of a previous thread called 'The lost art of logging' or something like that.

Edited by ShowStop

I see nothing wrong with cut-n-paste logs. I put caches out there for the enjoyment of others, not for my reading of the logs. We are all in this sport for different reasons and getting upset about how pther people log is silly. If you care that much about how someone logs, maybe you should not hide caches.

You might find it shocking, but I actually know of other geocachers that have done just that. Their number of hides has almost fallen off completely because of the rude logs and people taking all the swag out of the caches. Why contribute time, money and energy when the end result is a cache robbed of all its glory? Of course I know others that simply love to have people find their cache, regardless of the content of the log, if they broke the cache, whatever. I'm fall somewhere in the middle and kinda move a bit more to each extreme from time to time. To each his own.

I confess to cut and pasting logs, for the bigger count days. We're not journalists, after all, we're cachers, but we do try and remember something about each cache.

I completely agree with the sentiment that the more inspired caches, that can't really be done as part of a large cache run, do get the more inspired logs.

I just got back from caching today with one of my caching buddies we got I believe about 50 and yes I did do a Cut & Paste" on mine as well but for the memorable caches I add an extra comment on the Cut & Paste logs. I see nothing wrong with this, everyone has there own way of caching, and logging the same, and as said by the prior poster I am no Journalist either.

Scubasonic

Why does everything have to be about being "worked up"? We can't have a conversation about what we would rather see for online logs without being "worked up over" it? I'd like to see an improvement in online logs. That doesn't mean I'll loose sleep over it.

Yeah, I hear ya.

Kinda like finding a fly swimming in you iced tea...nothing to get 'worked up' over. :D

How much can a fly actually drink?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic nor offend you, but i've found many of the caches in your referenced series, and have also skipped the rest. Most of them were containers hidden right off the road in the nearest bush big enough to place the container. Many were hidden near houses or on gates to abandoned land. The ones I did find, I tried to be original, but there wasn't much to write about. :P

I have some caches near the NO CLUE series, and nearly every cacher seeking to find the entire series in a day, who found my caches, only wrote about the series. I oftened wondered if they actual found my caches.

As i've mentioned before, I've practically stopped placing any caches in areas frequented by power cachers. My target audience is the outdoorsman type, and 99% of the time the reward I get is an original log.

Edited by Kit Fox

edit: never mind... was discussing something different. For any cache that requires the signing of the logbook, the signing of the logbook is all that is required, no matter how you get to that logbook... That's my understanding of the no ALR rule. That means Traditionals, Multis, Mystery Caches

Edited by mrbort

Sometimes, but I've got bigger things to worry about.

When I cache with friends I use a template for my logs, but I always put at least one line unique to every log. If it was a memorable cache, I write a few lines (or even a few paragraphs) to tell the story.

I tend to write short logs for quick Park & Grab caches...unless they were an FTF. :rolleyes:

I agree sometimes if it is just a LP hide that there really isn't much to say about it. Sometimes I think when reading these logs especially when it is one you have already found, you want to know that someone else had the same frustrating time finding it or found the same thing cool about it. Not "out doing 100+ caches today with so and so had fun thanks!" Eh just venting lol

Good advice on the first part. For the second part, I think a huge "it depends" applies :rolleyes:

My personal pet peeve is an "easy find" log on a cache I'm visiting for the 3rd time.

LOL ya sit there and wonder "how the hell", and they have only 3 finds before that one.