2009 Yorkshire Rose Geocoin

MikeG

:D:drama::mad: The New Yorkshire Rose Geocoin is now available for immediate ordering :mad::mad::mad:

250 of these limited edition top quality coins have been commissioned from Oak Coins to commemorate Yorkshire Day which is celebrated each year on August 1st each year

They are 1.75" in diameter and are in the shape of a rose - Here are some images:

The face is a classic traditional design of a White Yorkshire Rose

Frontsmall.jpg

The rear has an image of Yorkshire and its "ridings" picked out in Geocaching.com colours

Rearsmall.jpg

The coins are £6:50 each and are trackable on Geocaching.com with their own icon as shown below

FlowerIcon32_yellow.gif

Get your hands on one of these before they're gone as no more will be made

For Pricing and Ordering details please click HERE

The rear has an image of Yorkshire and its "ridings" picked out in Geocaching.com colours

Last time I checked, there were only 3 Ridings - North, East & West. 4 modern counties, but only ever three (Th)ridings. :D You'll upset a few oldies with that!

And isn't the front upside down? :drama:

Nice coin though. :mad:

Last time I checked, there were only 3 Ridings - North, East & West. 4 modern counties, but only ever three (Th)ridings. :D You'll upset a few oldies with that!

And isn't the front upside down? :drama:

Nice coin though. :mad:

Thanks for your comments and compliments .. much appreciated :mad:

However, I think if you check any Yorkshire Flag or most Yorkshire Rose images on the web and in particular the official Yorkshire Flag here you will find the image I have posted represents the rose and the coin produced in its correct attitude.

You are correct in that there were only ever 3 Ridings (or third'ings BTW - a derivation of Norse for a third part) before they were abolished in 1974 .. that is why I placed the word "ridings" in quotes to highlight the irony which I am sure the "oldies" would have appreciated!

Thanks for the comments anyway

there were only ever 3 Ridings (or third'ings BTW - a derivation of Norse for a third part) before they were abolished in 1974

Abolished. Sir you do not abolish the "Ridings". Some jiggery pokery of a Goverment official's pen does not rewrite history. I suspect it was the very same desk that declared the Red Rose the county flower of Lancashire and the Harebell the county flower of Yorkshire. Sir I plead with you to consider the Goverment's assault on the ridings in the same vein as you would their expenses' scandal a tempoary glitch that needs sorting and will be in time... ooh er am I what you describe as an oldie... how appalling.

there were only ever 3 Ridings (or third'ings BTW - a derivation of Norse for a third part) before they were abolished in 1974

Abolished. Sir you do not abolish the "Ridings". Some jiggery pokery of a Goverment official's pen does not rewrite history. I suspect it was the very same desk that declared the Red Rose the county flower of Lancashire and the Harebell the county flower of Yorkshire. Sir I plead with you to consider the Goverment's assault on the ridings in the same vein as you would their expenses' scandal a tempoary glitch that needs sorting and will be in time... ooh er am I what you describe as an oldie... how appalling.

Well said that man!

My apologies :D

And as soon as it is sorted I'll mint another commemorative coin showing the proper Ridings! :mad:

BTW .. twas not I who first used the word "oldies" to describe those of us who can actually remember when there were only 3 :mad:

And as regards the Harebell ...didn't know about that! ... what codswallop! - more outsider interfering :drama:

"According to the College of Heralds, the heraldic rose can be used with a petal at the top or with a sepal at the top.

In Yorkshire there is a tradition of using the rose with a petal at the top in the North Riding and the West Riding but with a sepal at the top in the East Riding. "

Wow! didn't know that! .. I just know which way up it is on the Yorkshire Flag!

As the song goes ..2 0ut of 3 aint bad I guess :D

Much appreciate the feedback BTW

Edited by MikeG